2006 Dodge Magnum drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Magnum:

2006 Dodge Magnum Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Mar 262013

Magnum 6-cyl

Placed shift lever in park. Could not get it out of park nor start engine.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jan 262013

Magnum 8-cyl

After refueling vehicle to a full tank of gas, the vehicle will stall when driving. In some cases multiple times. There is no warning prior to the stall and the timing of the incident seems random - sometimes right away after fill-up, sometimes a few miles down the road. Only occurs at full tank condition but does occur every time the tank is filled. When the vehicle stalls it is difficult to start back up - power steering and power brakes are lost during this time. Once the vehicle has traveled 10-15 miles the problem seems to go away - until filling the gas tank again. It seems like an emissions systems type of problem - maybe part of the fuel tank venting system. There are other reports of this problem with similar type of vehicles (Chrysler 300, Dodge charger) on the internet.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Nov 052012

Magnum 8-cyl

I had just filled the tank of my 2006 Dodge Magnum and drove about 20 miles into town. After making a quick stop at a local store I once again got into the car and began driving approx. 30 mph. As I began to make a left hand turn all power was lost to the car; steering became nearly impossible, gas pedal did not work and I basically was dead in the road. I turned the key to off, placed the car in park and then restarted the engine. It started right up, began to drive and at the next light needed to take another left; with cars coming at me from the other direction I went to take the left when once again the entire car lost power..no steering, no gas power, check oil light came on. I was lucky that the oncoming cars did not hit me and that I had allowed enough space incase the same thing occurred or there would have been a collision for sure. This has happened a few other times without any reason but we are always able to start it back up and then it may or may not happen again. Been told it is the "roll over valve" failing $2 grand to fix!!!!!

- Blacdk Diamond, WA, USA

Sep 242012

Magnum 8-cyl

The parking interlock pawl on nearly all of the Dodge Magnums and chargers, Chrysler 300 indicates a very significant failure rate. This piece functions to prevent shifting the vehicle from park unless the key is in the ignition and the brake is depressed. Dodge has changed the design and material due to quality and reliability problems from the previously used part which was made out of a very inexpensive plastic. As a preventive measure against failure, many owners have chosen to remove the pawl to prevent being stranded. In removing the pawl, the shifter interlock mechanism becomes ineffective allowing the vehicle to be shifted from park without the key inserted in the ignition and the brake pedal depressed. While the malfunction at hand is not a safety issue directly related to part failure, the resulting outcome from the removal of this part causes a safety issue of great concern. To date Dodge has not issued a recall on this part. I ask that NHTSA consider the high probability of accidents, injuries and deaths resulting from this defect of this part and/or its removal and recommend the issuance of a recall for replacement of this part.

- Jessup, MD, USA

Feb 012011

Magnum

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Magnum. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, all of the lights on the dashboard illuminated and the vehicle independently attempted to shut down. This failure recurred numerous times. The contact also stated that the transmission made a loud noise as if it were going to drop out of the vehicle and began to slip. The failure recurred numerous times. The contact also stated that the vehicle would attempt to stall when attempting a turn in either direction. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis but they offered no assistance. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 65,000 and the current mileage was 103,000.

- Irving , TX, USA

Dec 022011

Magnum

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Magnum. While parked, the contact attempted to place the vehicle in reverse but the gear shifter would not move out of park. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing but was not repaired. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 08V583000 (power train:automatic transmission:lever and linkage:column shift) but was advised by the manufacturer that the VIN was not included in the recall. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 73,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 152011

Magnum

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Magnum. The contact stated that after shifting to park, she was unable to move the shifter out of the park position. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where they advised her that the colum shift was fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure and current mileages were approximately 54,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 052011

Magnum

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Magnum. The contact stated that the gear shift would not move out of park. The contact called the manufacturer and the manufacturer stated that the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The contact did not take the vehicle to a dealer or local mechanic for repairs. The failure mileage was 122,337.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Sep 252011

Magnum

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Magnum. While parked, the contact attempted to move the gear shifter from park to drive and noticed it was stuck in park. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics and the vehicle was not repaired. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 08V583000 (power train:automatic transmission:lever and linkage:column shift) that ould have been related to the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised that the VIN was not included in the recall. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Aug 152011

Magnum 8-cyl

This car went in for a cooling fan recall in late July. At the same time, the 60,000 mile transmission service was completed. I began having trouble with how it shifted almost immediately on an irregular basis. We left on vacation a week later and just returned Sept. 8th. I noticed the transmission was worse, so I called the garage to take it in. I was just told that the torque converter is bad, probably because of a water leak in the dipstick. The service guy told me that Chrysler has had this same problem on many cars. My suspicion: Why did it go out immediately after being serviced at ross Chrysler in boone, nc. If there are multiple water leaks, Chrysler should be sharing with the cost ($1600) to replace the converter. Am I being taken advantage of because I am a senior citizen. Add water to the transmission while being worked on, and it ruins the converter.

- Blowing Rock, NC, USA

Sep 152011

Magnum

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Magnum. The contact stated that after starting the engine the vehicle failed to shift out of park. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer but the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 93,959.

- Fort Benning, GA, USA

Sep 062011

Magnum

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Magnum. The contact was driving when the vehicle failed to accelerate over 55 mph. The failure resolved temporarily when the vehicle was restarted. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic for diagnostic testing. The diagnosis was a possible failure shortage or circuit within the trans axle control module. The manufacturer stated the VIN does not apply to NHTSA recall campaign id :05V460000(power train:automatic transmission). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 91,900 and the current mileage was 92,156

- Metairie, LA, USA

Sep 072011

Magnum

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Magnum. The contact stated that he was unable to shift the vehicle out of park. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who diagnosed that the interlock spring hook in the shifter assembly was fractured and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 05V460000 (power train:automatic transmission). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 71,416.

- Greenville, NC, USA

Jul 082006

Magnum 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Dodge Magnum I had the car for about 5 years at about 95,000 miles when I got off from work I've gotten into my car and started it up and just when I apply my brakes to put the car in drive it would not move into drive reverse are neutral at all and I heard this happening to other vehicles such as chargers etc. When I called the dealer about it they told me that it could be the shifter assembly and its a very common thing that happens to a lot of these particular cars and to me that's not a good sign and it should be taking into consideration because that's a defect that needs to be on recall you can be in a middle of nowhere and I try to take off and I can't put my car into park while at a drive threw somewhere and I can't move my car into drive and now am stranded my car is at the shop right now getting prepared to be fix and there charging me 360 dollars plus tax just to fix what they know is common on those cars and it really needs to be looking into because no car should do that I was better off buying me a Toyota are something that's not going to brake so easily like that and I shouldn't have to pay for something that Dodge dealers know about these cars commonly braking like that and I will be getting that shifter assembly part that broke as well.

- Perris, CA, USA

Jul 032010

Magnum

I witnessed a car incident on my way home from work and I put my 2006 Dodge Magnum in park to check on the victim in the accident. When the police arrived I was instructed to leave the area and my car would not move from park position. It seems that this is a re occurring problem with Dodge Magnum as I read on car blogs. I had to get my car towed at my own expense from the area. I have not yet repaired the problem as I do not have the funds. But I had to dismantle the gear box in order to push the override switch to drive the car.

- North Lauderdale, FL, USA

Aug 092010

Magnum

My car was working fine until the next day I went out the to the car cranked it up tried to put it in drive, it will not go out of park.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Jul 172009

Magnum

Vehicle will not shift out of park.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 202006

Magnum 8-cyl

The vehicle surges between 1500-3500 RPM's and sometimes at idle. The problem comes and goes and is often accompanied by problems with the transmission shifting. Somethimes at a stop the trans will not down shift and when I accelerate again it is stuck in a high gear which has many times caused me to be put in danger while pulling into traffic, the car won't accelerate to speed properly. It is unerving to never know if it will drive properly without shifting or surging problems. It has been doing this for 15,000 miles and I have taken it inot the dealer 6-7 times and they still having fixed anything, because there is no code coming up for them.

- Lehi, UT, USA