7.3

2. lift bezel around shifter and pop out curved pink switch (1 reports)
2006 Dodge Magnum transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Magnum:

2006 Dodge Magnum Owner Comments

Oct 022012

Magnum 3.5L V6

This is a bit of a duplicate complaint because I found this answer posted by James P. If you can't get your shifter out of park its because of a child safety switch that has gone bad. I've seen people floundering on this one like I had so hope my input helps. The shifter on my wife's 06 magnum has been getting stuck in park for months but we were always able to eventually get it into gear after trying various voodoo( i.e. rock the car, turn the steering wheel, turn it on and off) until today when my wife or I couldn't get it into gear period. James P posted that if you lift the bezel out from around the shifter you can see a curved pink switch ( on mine it is bottom right side). So I grabbed a long flat head screwdriver and pushed this switch around a bit (it may help to know that there is an access hole for the switch too if you remove the junk tray next to the shifter on mine anyways). First few tries nothing happened but kept at it until the switch just completely popped out. That did it! Went into gear just fine after that. I was worried that maybe I had broke it so I went and talked to my mechanic to see if I needed to fix it now that the switch is sitting somewhere inside the housing to the shifter. He says no need to worry and as long as I don't plan on having small kids play unattended in the car to forget about it. So I would say that if you want to save the time and money on this just pop it out ( took me all of 5 minutes). Hope this helps!

- , Redmond, Oregon, USA

Sep 152011

Magnum SXT 3.5L

TOTALLY PISSED OFF TO GET INTO MY 2006 MAGNUM WHICH HAS ONLY 11 K MILES ON IT...SERIOUSLY IT DOES....AND WHAT HAPPENS????!!! GET INTO THE CAR TO GO GROCERY SHOPPING AND CAR WON'T GO INTO REVERSE OR FORWARD!! NOW THAT IS BS! FOR THE LOW MILES I HAVE ON THIS CAR THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!! TOTALLY! I PAID OVER 30 K FOR THIS CAR AND THIS IS WHAT I GET?! A PIECE OF CRAP THAT WON'T SHIFT WITH ONLY 11 K MILES ON IT!!!!! I AM PISSED BEYOND PISSED. WHAT IF THIS HAPPENED TO ME ONCE I HAD GONE TO THE STORE? THE COST FOR TOWING GOES ON MY SHOULDERS AND THE COST OF REPAIR AS WELL. I READ THAT THERE IS SOME CHEAP PLASTIC PART IN THE SHIFTER THAT BREAKS...WHATEVER HAPPENED TO MAKING CARS THE OLD WAY WITH REAL METAL PARTS NOT CHEAP GARBAGE PLASTIC PARTS THAT BREAK??? TELL ME WHAT GOOD REASON THESE CAR MANUFACTURERS HAVE FOR THIS? OH LET ME GUESS...MONEY! IT IS CHEAPER TO PRODUCE PLASTIC BS PARTS AND WHEN IT BREAKS YOU PAY MONEY TO FIX IT AND REPLACE THE PART! THAT IS BS. I AM TOTALLY DISGUSTED THAT MY CAR WITH ONLY 11 K MILES ON IT IS BROKEN AND SITTING IN MY DRIVEWAY AND I CANNOT EVEN DRIVE IT NOW! TOTALLY ABSOLUTELY NEVER GONNA BUY ANOTHER DODGE IF THIS IS THE KINDA CAR THEY PRODUCE! AND I ALSO READ THIS COST LIKE 300 TO 400 TO FIX? GET OUT OF HERE! FOR A PLASTIC PART??? THIS IS JUST NOT RIGHT AND I FEEL IT IS SOMETHING THE DEALERSHIPS SHOULD REPLACE FOR FREE COZ IT SURE AS HELL IS NOTHING I DID TO THIS CAR. IT IS THEIR CHEAPNESS THAT IS CAUSING THESE PROBLEMS. WHO THE HELL PUTS A PLASTIC PART INTO A SHIFTER/TRANSMISSION? PLASTIC? ARE WE SERIOUS!? DODGE HAD TO KNOW THIS WOULD NOT LAST...COME ON. I AM NOT STUPID ABOUT THIS AND NEITHER IS ANYONE ELSE.....THIS IS BS. SO HERE SITS MY 2006 DODGE MAGNUM WITH 11K MILES ON IT AND I CANNOT DRIVE IT! I GOT PLACES I NEED TO GO AND I CANNOT DO WHAT I NEED TO DO. THIS JUST CHAPS MY REAR END TO NO END!!! THANKS DODGE FOR PRODUCING A REAL LEMON I GUESS!!!! CONGRATS YOU IDIOTS!

- , San Antonio, Florida, USA

Apr 022011

Magnum SXT 3.5L

driving and the car will get stuck in a gear.try the paddle shift and it will not change the numbers,it just stays in D.stop and put it in park and then back in drive and still will not change numbers[1,2,3,4].but when you turn the car off and restart it it works fine till it happens again,which at first would be 5 or 6 days but now it is everyday and only now did the engine light come on[problem started about a month ago and dealer said until light came on there wasn't anything they could do so i got a tranny fluid and filter change 4 days ago and now the light finally came on so going back to them on Monday to see what the code reads.....

- , Fort Mcmurray, Alberta, canada