2002 Dodge Neon miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Dodge Neon:

2002 Dodge Neon Owner Comments

Oct 162010

I was driving on the interstate when, with no warning, I felt a jolt (like being hit from behind), then a strange sound from the engine compartment. I was able to control the car and pull off to the side of the road where I discovered that I had lost all gears. The car would not shift and would not move. I had to have it towed home (about 80 miles) where I took it to a transmission shop. They did a complete diagnostic evaluation and determined that the transmission was completely blown along with the cooling system radiator. I had to have the transmission rebuilt and the radiator replaced at a cost of almost $1,800. After talking with several transmission shops and reading comments on various websites on the internet, it appears that this type of transmission failure is very common with the Dodge Neons. It would seem reasonable that this be addressed in a recall by Chrysler.

- Loves Park, IL, USA

Oct 152003

I had purchased a 2002 Dodge Neon SXT in September of 2002. After a few months of driving my car until today October 10th, 2003 I have had my car at the dealer 6 different times for the same problem. I have an electrical short somewhere where it makes all my gauges die and flicker. The brake and seat belt light come on and dome light flickers like a strobe radio cuts out and sometimes my power window will not work properly. The first couple times the said clusters in the back of the dash had to be tightened. After this didn't work the next step was to replace the dashboard. After this didn't work they decided to rig an auxillary ground to my battery by splicing into the cluster on the back of the dash. The last straw was when they took my car and wanted it for a week, but I got it back in 2 days and the response was we can't duplicate when can't fix it. We're stumped. I don't accept that as an answer and now have been getting the runaround from the dealership and Chrysler headquarters in detroit. Even so much so that a woman who worked there told my they are going above and beyond what they need to do for me as a customer by providing me with a rental. If they would have went above and beyond for me they would have fixed it the first I don't even want the car anymore.

- Fairwater, WI, USA

Aug 072003

Neon 4-cyl

2002 Dodge Neon.

- Doddsville, MS, USA

Oct 092002

Car gets gas mileage of 16.5 - 17.8 mpg city. Advertises 22 - 28, hwy 26.6 advertises 26-38. Attitude is systems check so tough luck.

- Tampa, FL, USA