2003 Dodge Neon brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Neon:

2003 Dodge Neon Owner Comments

Sep 142008

Neon

2003 Dodge Neon brake lights would go on revealing low brake fluid. Problem resolved by adding brake fluid and light would go out. After two incidents of correcting same problem car was driven and brakes were hard to press and did not stop within acceptable distances. Car was inspected by serviceman and it was found that the lower brake line fitting perpendicular to the ground and attached to the master cylinders leaked. The problem is that you assume you lose brake fluid by use and it is really a leak. Adding fluid appears to solve the problem but by the time you received a brake light warning air has entered the brake system and causes a situation where your brake distanced is compromised and at highway speeds you may not stop within the distance you are accustomed to and this may cause an accident. Tightening the fittings did not work at he time of this complaint.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Dec 012004

Neon 4-cyl

Every 2000 miles the consumer has to put 2 quarts of oil in vehicle. The spark plug went bad in the engine. The brakes squealed every time the vehicle would come to a stop.

- Pennsboro, WV, USA

Jul 252004

Neon

The accelerator stuck and the brakes failed. Dealer contacted the manufacturer, who reported that the throttle screw was loose, and they were inspecting the vehicle. Screw on clip on throttle hose came off, causingair to rush in rev up the accelrator and caused brake failure.

- Lawrence, KS, USA

Sep 152003

Neon

I was in a small collision at the speed of 10 mph or less. I rear ended a Ford F150 truck because my brakes skided on the road, my 2003 Neon fishtailed, and I hit the bumper of the truck. My right headlight was smashed, and my radiator was also broken. After 3 minutes my engine caught on fire, and my entire car was engulfed in fire within 5 minutes after the collision. My airbag on both driver and passenger side did not go off, I didn't hit the truck at a highspeed, yet my car went up in flames. Everything in the car was melted, and I think this car is very unsafe. Had I hit a truck or been hit by another large or small car, I hate to wonder what would of happened then. Would I of made it out in time before it caught on fire, or would it blow up on impact?! Neons are not safe, and I think this car will catch on fire at any speed. I have pictures of the car that shows the damage from the collision, and you wouldn't ever think the small damage could catch this car on fire.

- Austin, TX, USA

Feb 222003

Neon 4-cyl

3/22/3 5160 mi radiator loose, brakes pulse, 4/7/3 5500 mi. Front rotors replaced. 4/24/3 6204 mi. Power steering failed (twice), ps pump replaced. 6/6/3 7300 mi. Seat back poke into my back from the head rest support, actually wearing a spot in the seat back fabric. New seat back ordered.

- Manchester, CT, USA