3.0

2003 Dodge Neon electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Neon:

2003 Dodge Neon Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 152008

Neon

At 60,000 miles my 2003 Dodge Neon R/T started smoking from the steering column. At the time I thought it was dust caught by the sunlight and since nothing appeared to be wrong with my car, I forgot about it - one week later- I started by car and my headlights wouldn't work, concerned and remembering the "dust in the sunlight the week before, I called the Dodge dealership in the area and dropped off my car a little while later. Turns out the wiring harness on the steering column had overheated and melted together ( there was also a problem with the gas tank pressure but I could never get them to tell exactly what the problem was) luckily the harness was not completely destroyed so the wires could just be replaced. I asked them what caused the problem and if they were just replacing wires, well, wouldn't it happen again? once again all I got were vague non commitale answers, a 1,200 dollar bill, plus, I was refused a courtesy vehicle - yeah I had to foot the bill fr driving a rental car for a week. I research this problem and found that the 1996 Neon had been recalled for this same problem but the cause of the problem was never fixed, also, the PT CRUISER has the same defect. The dealership told me that it was not possible and basically what went wrong was my fault, some how. Again very vague and non-committal. I found out that unless a problem is a safety issue, meaning I guess that a few people have to die, a recall will not be issued.

- Blaine, WA, USA

Sep 262008

Neon

My 2003 Dodge Neon srt-4 was making a funny smell at night then my lights went out and they would only work with my bright switch pulled back. I pulled apart and saw that my switch to my multifunction switch was burnt. I went to Dodge and they told me it was not covered under warranty. So I bought a new multifunction switch and plug. I do have all the old parts.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Sep 152008

Neon

When I use my headlights for 15-20 minutes, I begin to smell a burnt plastic smell and notice the left side of the steering wheel gets very warm. After 20-30 minutes of headlight use the low beams just go dead, it "automatically" switches to high beams immediately. If I try to turn it back down to low beams, everything goes dark (*very* dangerous at night!). then I am forced to use high beams and blind everyone else for the rest of my trip, or I have to pull over and let the apparent cause (the multifunction switch) cool off for an eternity before resuming my trip. I'm highly uncomfortable knowing that my car has plastic behind the steering wheel on the verge of erupting into flames when I use my headlights. I also consider it extremely hazardous, not only for the fire risk, but also the low beams dying suddenly.

- Farmington, NY, USA

Jun 042008

Neon

Wiring melted in steering column and head lights would not work. Had to have dealer repair wiring, replace headlight switch.

- Dallesort , WI, USA

May 082008

Neon 4-cyl

I bought myself a 2003 Dodge Neon srt-4 last year. About 6 months ago smoke and melting plastic smell started coming out of steering column. The headlights and fog lights shut off on me one night coming home from store. (not good) the next day found that harness was melted at connector to the mfs to the headlights. I replaced the switch but fuses blow if fog lights come on or high beams. Plus it just started smoking again!

- South Berwick, ME, USA

Oct 202007

Neon 4-cyl

Suddenly had no lights on vehicle exterior, headlights most notably. Mechanic replaced multifunction switch on steering column but showed me the plug for this multifunction switch has obviously been heating up because it has melted in several places. By the way I cant find a replacement plug yet.

- Lisbon, OH, USA

Aug 252007

Neon 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Neon. The contact noticed smoke coming from the steering column after the vehicle was turned off. As of September 27, 2007, the dealer had not inspected the vehicle. The contact's son inspected the vehicle and stated that the media switch caused the failure. The current and failure mileages were 91,153.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Jan 032005

Neon 4-cyl

While driving cross country home from visiting family for christmas, headlights, fog lights all quit while on the freeway. Luckily the moon was out full and a big truck was behind me with bright enough lights. I figured out I could have lights by holding the "flash" of the brights. I ended up jumping the fuse panel to get power to the headlights. Went to the dealership, told me problem happens a lot. But nothing they could do about it. Had to buy a new multi switch for $95. J

- Lawton, OK, USA

Mar 222007

Neon 4-cyl

Sometime last year I was having trouble with my fog lights. I would turn the switch to turn them on, but they would not turn on. I went to the dealer several times to get them fixed. I don't remember what the problem was, but they temporarily fixed them each time. Then about 1 week ago, I was driving my car and I noticed a funny smell and white smoke coming out of my steering column. So I pulled over and turned the car off. Every time you turned it back on, the steering column got very hot and white smoke would come out of it. I then proceeded to take it to my dealer. There was some melt down inside of my steering column, which came from the multi-function switch. My car insurance and my warranty would not cover the damage, which totaled $630.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 162007

Neon 4-cyl

Headlights, fog lights stopped operating, high beams will not stay on, must hold down the lever, multi-function switch connector melted. Car is inoperative until a fix is made. I have a 2003 Dodge Neon SXT. This seems to be a common defect with my year/make/model of car. Please institute a recall for this problem. To fix the defective part runs approximately $1,000 - $3,000 to fix by dealer. Please issue recall.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Sep 112006

Neon 4-cyl

The problems first started when the fog lights on my 2003 Dodge Neon had started to come on even when the switch was off. They would do this any time I turned the wheel, or went over a bump. This had been going on for almost 6 months. Then about a week ago, my lights would not turn off. The lever wouldn't click when I hit it to turn them off. They continued to stay on, and then would turn off when they wanted to. After about a day I was driving home at night, and all of a sudden my lights turned off, and would not go back on. If there were no street lights, I could have gotten into a severe accident.

- Hopewell Jct. , NY, USA

Aug 182006

Neon 4-cyl

Headlights and fog lights not working. Multifunction switch shorting out, the 20 plug wiring harness that connects to the lights portion of the switch gets literally burnt and melts.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Apr 072004

Neon 4-cyl

Headlight switch and associated wiring harness shorted and melted resulting in loss of all interior and exterior lighting.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

May 152006

Neon 4-cyl

Last week the car stared blowing the dashboard light fuse. I've replaced it 4 times, and they all blew with in a few minutes. The dealer said they spent 2 hours trying to find the problem. I paid the $100 diagnostic fee and three blocks from the dealer, the fuse blew again. I took back to them and will pay another $100 fee tomorrow. The factory warranty ran out 2600 miles ago, and I purchased Chrysler's best maximum car upgrade service contract so I would not have to deal with this kind of stuff, but it is not covered. Now I have a car I can't safely drive at night because I can't see the dashboard.

- Rio Linda, CA, USA

Nov 202005

Neon 4-cyl

: the contact stated while driving the transmission speed sensor shorted and caused the computer to short out. The engine and transmission completely locked and the vehicle stalled. The contact pushed the vehicle to the side of the road, where it was then towed to a certified dealership. The transmission and engine were replaced as a result of the damages caused by the sensor.

- Alum Creek, WV, USA

Nov 112002

Neon 4-cyl

I have a 2003 Dodge Neon that I bought brand new with one mile on it when I took it off the lot. Since that dreadfull day I have had problems with the vehicle starting around 10K miles. First some electrical componets in the sound system went out. From there I have had to have the rotors replacedbecause nearly every 5K miles starting around 10,500 miles. The car has a hard time starting when the temperatures get too close to 20 degrees F, when you get to zero forget it. I have had the battery tested my dealer charged me $30 some odd dollars to do that and said it is just me. When it gets too hot like around 85 degrees or so it runs like it is boging down. The fule injection sensors have gone out twice 200 miles appart and at this time the vehicle has nearly 33K miles on it. I have it serviced every 3K miles and have changed the air filter and spark plugs as directed. I also have all of my service receipts from the trips to the dealr I reguards to the electrical, break and injection work I have had done. The vehicle has also been taken to three diferent Dodge dealers hoping one would find something the others keept overlooking. More info can and will be provided if requested.

- Brooklyn Park, MN, USA

Apr 182005

Neon 4-cyl

While driving 60 mph on I-35 in san antonio, Texas in January, 2004, my 2003 Neon R/T (with approximately 10,865 miles) experienced a complete loss of power. Luckily the momentum was great enough to allow me to pull off to the side of the highway. I checked the vehicle (cable connections and fuses) and could find nothing wrong. After 10 minutes the car started and ran fine. I took it to gunn Dodge in san antonio in February, and they said a cell in the battery checked bad and that was what caused the total loss of power. They replaced the battery. While driving from san antonio, Texas to knoxville, Tennessee on April 18, 2005, the car again experienced a total loss of power while I was driving at approximately 60 mph, outside of dallas, Texas. I was again able to pull off to the side of the highway, and I detected a slight scent of electrical components overheating.. again all cables and fuses appeared to be ok, but car would not start. As I was talking with Chrysler roadside assistance on my cell phone, my wife checked the positive battery cable connection, I attempted to start the car, and it started (approximately 20 minutes after the total loss of power). I was able to complete the trip to knoxville, Tennessee without incident. I took my car to rice Chrysler-Dodge in knoxville on April 19, 2005 (car had 24001 miles). After several hours, the service advisor informed me all cables, wires and fuses checked out fine, as did all ground connections. He also told me they had called Chrysler to speak with an engineer about the problem, and the engineer could think of no reason why my car had experienced a total loss of power while driving at highway speeds, nor had he any knowledge of this happening to anyone else.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jan 042004

Neon 4-cyl

I have a Dodge Neon 2003. January 2004 I took my car in for routine service (oil change/plugs. About a week later a spark plug shot out of cylinder one. I call the service department and took it by the dealship (darcars) they put the spark plug back in but my car hasn't run properly yet.they refuse to take responsibility for the problem because it's takes a thousand dollar or more to fix. I've had dianogstics done and now the car is be repaired at lee's auto shop with problems hard for Mr. Lee to fix (electronic problem in the no. 4 cylinder; it won't open and close properly. Lee's done all he could do so far (the car now is still in his shop. It's been about a week). Furthermore I was told afterward that a new car dosn't need a tune up for two years. I think the service guy should have informed me of that instead he took my money with no refund. The exact day I don't have right now but I could get it I have all my problem paper work.

- Washington, DC, USA

Aug 232004

Neon 4-cyl

Car was 5 months old when it started to jerk & basically turn off intermittantly while I was driving at different speeds, the radio would turn off completely & the seatbelt lights on the dash would light up, the car would turn back on and then revv as though being down-shifted and then go back to normal. The problem proceeded to get worse to the point where the car stalled in traffic & I was broke down in the center divider. Dodge dealership has failed to find a solution after three visits & now my car is hooked up to a co-Pilot. This problem remains unfixed & even more dangerous to drive. Has stalled three times on the freeway!

- Ferndale, CA, USA

Aug 052004

Neon 4-cyl

Consumer stated that while she was on her way to the doctor's office she experienced some funny things with vehicle. It seemed as though one of the wheels locked, and the vehicle jerked. Also, it smelled like burning rubber. Consumer stated that later it unlocked by itself and powered itself up, and then took off. Nothing else happened again. She was at doctor's office where she parked for 2 hours. Afterward she got back into vehicle to return home, and the vehicle did the same identical thing after about 20 miles. All of this happened after putting coolant in the vehicle. Consumer insisted that she needed help because she could have been killed. Vehicle stalled while driving.

- Jellico, TN, USA