2007 Dodge Nitro electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Nitro:

2007 Dodge Nitro Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Mar 022014

Nitro

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated that the key fob failed to unlock or lock the front passenger, rear passenger, and rear driver side doors. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic. The technician stated that the integrated control module needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Strasburg, PA, USA

Oct 102014

Nitro 4WD 6-cyl

Since March 2014. The horn has gone off by itself (3), the truck has died while driving at a speed of 30 mph (1), truck has failed to start (1).

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Sep 282012

Nitro

The gas cap gauge stated there was a problem and my automatic engine start would not work any longer. We replaced the gas cap and the problem still persists two years later. We have taken the vehicle into the dealership, but nothing has ever been resolved. The vehicle also stalls and the engine turns off while driving. This has happened a half dozen times while driving 30-40 mph. Also, when driving in 2-3 gear, the vehicle feels like it is surging and has an intermittent miss. 8/11/14 the vehicle would not start and I called a company to give the battery a jump. The car started but now the electrical system is malfunctioning with the door locks continuously locking and unlocking, the hazards flickering and the back wiper going.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Aug 022014

Nitro

My eleven year old son put the right rear passenger side window down. Within 30 seconds of putting the window down, the power window switch and door panel began to smoke. There were large amounts of smoke and a burning smell coming from the door. The door panel became extremely hot causing him to undo his seatbelt and jump across the seat. I immediately pulled over and turned the Nitro off killing power to the switch. The switch continued to burn and smoke for more than five minutes after I turned the truck off and got my family to safety.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 142014

Nitro

While driving no matter what the speed the car kicks back. It could be when it's moving to the next gear or just on a gear it kicks back hard. Took the car to mechanic no issues with transmission every one is stumped as to what it is. Nothing comes up on diagnostic. The other issue that started with the above problem is that the car turns off on it's own. It could be while you are idle or backing up, parking or even in the process of stopping at a red light. I almost hit the car in front because the breaks locked up after the car just stalled while I was stopping the vehicle. Again no one knows why this is happening. Very dangerous. I've avoided several accidents. I live in a place that has lots of hills so if this car turns off while breaking/slowing down going downhill I can hit the car in front. Breaks lock up because car is turned off so I have no way to stop car but emergency break and hope that it works quick enough.

- Winston Salem , NC, USA

Oct 152013

Nitro 6-cyl

Was driving and was flagged down and told my right and left tail light was not working. The middle brake light comes on but the right and left do not work. I have had the brake light switch replaced, checked the fuses and replaced both tail light circuit boards with nothing working.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 202014

Nitro 6-cyl

I have a 2007 Dodge Nitro. The car no longer locks, either automatically while you drive, or by pushing the button in the car, or by using the key fob. (the car however will still unlock.) since there is no lock whatsoever on the trunk/back door the car can't completely lock, thus exposing yourself to theft. The only way you can lock most of the car is to manually push the button in all 4 doors, but the back door is always unlocked. Now I have to leave my car completely empty in the case of a break-in attempt. After researching this issue, I am finding that this is becoming a very common issue with this car.

- El Segundo, CA, USA

Jan 132014

• 2,000,000 miles
The vehicle stopped abruptly while I was in the process of driving without warning. The ABS and skid lights constantly blink on and off. When the skid light comes on the vehicle slows down drastically and quickly even with the gas pedal down. The car is also now sputtering. This happens constantly, everyday at any speed..

- Tobyhanna, PA, USA

Feb 112013

Nitro 6-cyl

Driving North on interstate I-75 in heavy traffic due to an accident, my horn started sounding, my windshield wipers activated and windshield washer fluid started flooding the windshield. I pulled over and shut the vehicle off and restarted the vehicle normally. Approximately, two months later, I attempted to unlock my car remotely using my key and the horn started blaring, the windshield wipers activated and the windshield washer fluid sprayed continuously. I called Dodge Chrysler corporation to see if they could offer assistance. They told me which fuses to pull. I had to disconnect the battery to stop the horn, then pulled the fuses and reconnected the battery. I was able to replace the fuses and drive home. Dodge Chrysler told me to contact my dealer if it did it again. On September 14, 2013. I attempted to unlock my car using my remote key and everything happened again. I disconnected the battery and pulled the fuses but after reconnecting the battery and reinstalling the fuses, the problem persisted. I contacted Dodge Chrysler and they transferred me to my local dealer. I took the car in first thing Monday morning but the service department could not replicate the problem and no codes were stored. I picked up my vehicle that evening and within 3 miles of the dealership, my Nitro horn, wipers and washer fluid all activated. I immediately returned to the dealer and left my car. The service department was able to replicate the problem but Dodge Chrysler would offer no cost assistance to replace a faulty tipm (totally integrated power module). I was informed that I would have to pay for the $750 repair myself. There are numerous reports of this and other incidents involving the tipm for not only Dodge but Chrysler and Jeep products. Dodge Chrysler Jeep corporation needs to be held accountable.

- Seffner, FL, USA

Sep 112013

Nitro

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the windshield wipers activated independently. In addition, the turning signals failed. The contact diagnosed that the multi-function switch had failed. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer and the manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 110,265.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Aug 292013

Nitro

I was driving on a side street when my car suddenly dies. If I would have been going down the road with my child in the car at a fast speed we would've wrecked. I've also had problems with my radio not turning off when I power my car off.

- Alton, MO, USA

Jun 082013

Nitro

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the wiring harness failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the wiring harness was replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 108,000. Kmj

- Little Neck , NY, USA

May 022013

Nitro 6-cyl

I have had numerous issues with this vehicle that Dodge must think is not serious enough to fix. About 5 months ago while driving the car the horn kept going off. In an hours time the thing must've gone off at least 30 times! I took it in and the dealership gave me 5 possible causes as the computer scan didn't find any issues/code. Today it started going off again. I was in my house, so the car was not running. When I went outside thinking I could possibly unplug the horn, I noticed that the radio was on. No key in the ignition! over the last 5 months, the horn has gone off both while and while not driving it, the radio has come on when no one was in the car and no key in the ignition and the car has stalled while it was being driven down the road. This needs to be fixed! I am not the only one with these issues. When googling "2007 Dodge Nitro horn going off" there are multiple stories of this happening to people, which include all types of electric issues. Some resolved the issue when a new tipm was installed. Dodge/Chrysler needs to recall the vehicle for faulty tipm before people get seriously injured!

- Eau Claire, WI, USA

Mar 072012

Nitro 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Nitro (N/a). The contact was traveling 45 mph when the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact attempted to control the steering and applied the brakes but had a difficult time because the vehicle was completely off. The contact stated that every light on the instrument panel was illuminated. The driver restarted the vehicle and the vehicle drove normally. The contact stated that the failure recurred once more. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and informed that they could not determine what caused the failure. The manufacturer was notified and informed that there was nothing that could be done. The failure mileage was 50000. Updated 07/17/12

- Mt Vernon, OH, USA

Jan 192012

Nitro 6-cyl

I purchased a 2007 Dodge Nitro for drivers select on rl thornton freeway in dallas. Unbeknownst to me Dodge had a recall for the tipm which to my knowledge has not been correctly fixed on the car I bought. I had Nitro serviced by huffines in plano tx only for Nitro to go out again. It is currently being serviced again and dealership wants to charge me around $500 for a manufacturing issue that should be covered for free due to safety issue.

- Plano, TX, USA

Dec 042011

Nitro

Used the key fob to lock the car, walked out about 10 minutes later to find the cooling fan running on the car even though the car had not moved. Unlocked the car the fan stopped running but he battery was dead. Charged the battery and all was fine till trying to leave for work on Monday morning when battery was dead again after using the key fob to lock the car. No longer using the key fob until we can find out what is going on.

- Ladson, SC, USA

Aug 282011

Nitro

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated that the vehicle would stall at anytime and without warning. The dealer and manufacturer were contacted and advised that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 07V291000 (electrical system) any denied any assistance with repairs to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was unavailable.

- Tusan, AZ, USA

Jul 252011

Nitro

Without warning or vehicle hesitation, the motor stalled and I lost all power steering and brakes. Fortunately I was in a residential area and I pulled into a driveway and attempted to re-start my vehicle without success. Vehicle was towed to the local Dodge dealer where they determined the tipm (totally integrated power module) had failed and would have to be replaced at a cost of approximately $625 +$85 to the towing company. I have also had issues with the wiper relays twice (which are part of safety recall J28) once before the recall under warranty and now had it replaced with the tipm. Since the wiper relay is part of the tipm, I wonder if the complete failure of the tipm is related or maybe faulty tipm's are causing the wiper relay problem.

- Kingsport, TN, USA

Feb 012008

Nitro

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated when driving various speeds, all of the warning lights would illuminate sporadically. The vehicle would then become hesitant, stall and restart independently. The vehicle was inspected by a dealer and an independent mechanic, and both advised her that they were unable to diagnose the failure. In addition, all of the exterior door handles were fractured. The vehicle was inspected by a dealer and they advised her that she needed to replace all of the door handles. All of the door handles except for the drivers side were replaced. In addition, all of the windows would only operate partially when attempting to open and close them. The vehicle was not repaired for the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 30,000.

- Springbrook Township, PA, USA

Mar 082011

Nitro

The wiper blades stopped working during a rain storm and the turn signals wouldn't work, couldn't turn the head lamps off or on.

- Columbus, GA, USA