2007 Dodge Nitro electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Nitro:

2007 Dodge Nitro Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Dec 202010

Nitro 6-cyl

First repair: Vehicle would jerk (as if it was shifting too hard) when going over bumps in the road and would stop (RPM gauge drops to 0, lose power steering, would have to coast to shoulder and re-start vehicle). Fuel injector was replaced. Second repair: Vehicle would not start without several attempts, once it started it would stop driving (RPM gauge drops to 0, lose power steering, would have to coast to shoulder and re-start vehicle). Relay was replaced. Third repair (about to go back to shop tomorrow)- car started normally and then stopped while driving (RPM gauge drops to 0, lose power steering, would have to coast to shoulder and re-start vehicle). This is the third time in 2 weeks that the car has been in for servicing for the same problem, and the manufacturer's dealership cannot figure out what is wrong with the vehicle. This has become a major safety concern, as I do not know when the vehicle will stop unexpectedly while driving. I have rented a car until I can have my car repaired again, because I am afraid to drive my car.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 192010

Nitro

I purchased a '07 Dodge Nitro back in June of this year. Recently it began doing a "shut off" while going about 80 mph, did that twice within a few minutes, scared the crap out of me. The next day it stalled while turning into my driveway, each time it has started right back up on its own no problem. Last night I went to go pick up my son from class go to unlock the doors and got no response, truck was dead as dead can get. Had my husband jump it and it started right up. This morning it went dead again while I was waiting in a drive-thru line, had people yelling at me rather then asking if I needed help, finally flagged someone down and got a jump, again started right up no problem. I know there is a recall out for tipm on vehicles built before January 23, 2007. Mine was built in November of '06 but when I checked the Dodge site and entered my VIN as it instructed it only pulled up the wiper relay recall. I then called my local Dodge dealership and told them about my issue and how I found that there was a recall on certain vehicles for the tipm causing it to stall out, they told me there never was such a recall and they had never heard of that ever happening. I set up an appointment to have it looked at( it is still under warranty) and printed out the recall to show them when I get there, unfortunately I can't get in until Thursday which means I have to drive scared out of my wits for the next couple days. If it isn't fixable then I may have to look into getting rid of my beloved Nitro as I cannot have this happening when I have small children in the car.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Jul 122010

Nitro

My 2007 Dodge Nitro spontaneously lit all warning indicators and stalled. When I contacted daimler Chrysler about recall G25 or NHTSA campaign id 07V291. They indicated that only Canadian made vehicles were part of this earlier recall.

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Mar 052010

Nitro

My 2007 Dodge Nitro has been having stalling issues the last two weeks. When I press the accelerator, it hesitates and almost cuts off. There is no pattern as to when it happens; it is inconsistent. Yesterday, after I picked up carpool at my son's elementary school, I made a right turn, and the car completely cut off when I hit the accelerator. I had to coast to a stop (I had no power steering or power brakes) and restart the car. Fortunately, I was not making a right turn onto a busy road or into an intersection as there would have been nothing I could have done to prevent an accident with 2 second graders in the back seat. It will be heading to the dealership to be checked out.

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Nov 132009

Nitro

Alarm system malfunction. Alarm would activate and stop, activate and stop. According to neighbors, this happened on and off from Friday night 11/13/09 through Sunday 11/15/09. I was out of town at the time. Vehicle was sitting in driveway. This issue annoyed my neighbors big time. This problem has annoyed a neighbor so bad, that I feel threatened by him, and had to call to state police on him for parking across the street from my house and revving his truck engine, flashing his headlights and honking his horn while facing my house. I had to have the vehicle towed to the dealership where I purchase the Nitro. They could not find any problems with the alarm system, but I do not buy this at all. Something happened to caused the alarm system to malfunction over a 2 day period. I was told by the dealership, once an alarm is activated, it does not reset itself, and should not go off again until it is reset. I want to know what happened. The car had been vandalized, I.e. cut wires, but I think this was done out of shear anger by someone annoyed by the alarm going off all the time, but I cannot prove this. But still, the alarm system should not have continued to activate itself.

- Lewes, DE, USA

Sep 232009

Nitro

I have a 2007 Dodge Nitro that I purchased in 2007. Within a few months of owning I took it too the dealer to have the below recall item fixed. I have had problems recently (3 to be exact) when driving down the road at 50-60mph the engine will shut off and all the lights on the instrument panel will come on. Once the engine stalls I am unable to steer or brake. I have notice on the web that there are several other 2007 Dodge Nitro owners experiencing the same issue. Please let me know what action I can take in this matter with Chrysler Dodge. I have yet another service appt set with my dealer. Make: Dodge model: Nitro model year: 2007 manufacturer: DaimlerChrysler corporation mfr's report date: Jul 03, 2007 NHTSA campaign id number: 07V291000 PE07027 NHTSA action number: PE07027 component: Electrical system potential number of units affected: 80894 summary: On certain vehicles, the totally integrated power module (tipm) was programmed with software that may allow the engine to stall under certain operating conditions. Consequence: This could cause a crash without warning. Remedy: Dealers will reprogram the tipm. The recall began on July 5, 2007. Owners may contact DaimlerChrysler at 1-800-853-1403. Notes: DaimlerChrysler recall no. G25. Customers may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's vehicle safety hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (tty 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

- Kimberly, AL, USA

Feb 052009

Nitro

Dodge Nitro problem with static electricity making the vehicle not start. They say it is not a safety issue warranting a recall. I say that depends on where you are when it decides not to start.

- Sul.Spgs., TX, USA

Dec 312008

Nitro

Driving to work when truck stalled and stalled again while going to my fathers house then took it to dealer and they said nothing was wrong.

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Jul 222008

Nitro

Uncontrolled accelleration of 2007 Dodge Nitro, w/3.7 litre, has happened 5 times in six months of owning. Cant be fixed by dealer cause doesn't show code or able to duplicate when they have it, only way to stop it is to put in neutral and kill engine. Have had other problems like idle rough and surging, and like someone turning key off and on for split second while driving at highway speeds. There has not been any pattern to when sudden acel happens, it has been random and can seemingly happen w/out notice. The dealer keeps telling me to keep driving it till it does it again so they can try to get codes or something to trouble shoot it. But this is very dangerous as you would think. Im at a loss to what to do, I have contacted Dodge complaint line and they don't seem to worried about my safety as it would seem, do to them wanting me to keep bringing it back to dealer. Also no parts have been changed in order to try to correct, only hook up scanner and drive around block and flash programs at it which has seemingly had ill affect on it as in my fuel mileage has went 23-24 highway to about 15-18 now, and they cant get it back where it was, now it is parked in driveway and family wont drive because scared of it, and I M still paying on vehicle that is unsafe and no idea how to fix, or Dodge I should say, cant fix.

- Woodville , TX, USA

Nov 022007

Nitro 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Nitro. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled and the instrument panel lights illuminated. Approximately three or four seconds later, the vehicle restarted on its own. The failure has occurred approximately three times. The vehicle is included in NHTSA campaign id number 07V291000 (electrical system); however, the contact has not been able to have the recall work performed. The current mileage was 6,000 and failure mileage was 5,900.

- St Croix, VI, USA

Oct 012007

Nitro

In purchasing a 2007 Dodge Nitro it has been in the repair shop for almost 30 days with in a 5 month period. First, defective brakes and now for the 5th time stalling while driving along with instrument lights flashing on and erratic jerking around. I don't know how else to explain it. The car decides to turn off while driving through an intersection nearly causing a major accident. This is not a single incident and I fear for my life and my 5 year old daughters life driving in this car.

- Napa, CA, USA

Sep 192007

Nitro 4-cyl

My 2007 Dodge Nitro sputters between 35 & 55 mph. It seems like its running out of gas. Its not even one year old. First they said the computer had to be reprogrammed that didn't fix it, the dealership said there's nothing they can do. So, there has to be a solution to this problem. Does anyone know anything about this kind of problem. Thanks.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 112007

Nitro 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Nitro. While driving 55 mph, the engine suddenly shut off and the instrument panel lights remained illuminated. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The dealer stated that the failure was unknown, although NHTSA campaign id number 07V291000 (electrical system) was established. The current mileage was 8,256 and failure mileage was 7,756.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Aug 172007

Nitro 6-cyl

This is the second complaint I have filed with NHTSA for the same problem, the first in June 2007 was submitted after an accident caused by engine stalling issues. During the time my car was at the body shop to repair damage caused by the accident, Chrysler issued the safety recall G25. The Dodge dealer honored the recall and I was returned the repaired vehicle with the assurance the stalling issue was remedied. On August 17, 2007 at 5:10 pm I was traveling at full speed on the freeway and I lost all power (same as the previous 5 times). I put the car into neutral, and turned the ignition, it started and I continued on my way with the check engine light still on. Didn't Chrysler say the problem was fixed with the recall? I could have died in the accident, or yesterday when my Nitro stalled again...and now I am having the same problem!! please investigate, lives are at serious risk!

- Tujunga, CA, USA

Jul 172007

Nitro 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Nitro. The contact received recall notice number 07V291000 (electrical system). The dealer did not know how to reprogram the tipm. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled, but was able to be restarted. The tire pressure warning indicator light illuminated. The current and failure mileages were 9,950. Updated 02/01/08. Updated 02/01/08

- Rentiesdill , OK, USA

Jul 022007

Nitro 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Nitro. While driving 65 mph with the cruise control activated, the vehicle jerked. The dealer did not inspect the vehicle. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle shut off without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The dealer did not inspect the vehicle. She received recall notice # 07V291000 (electrical system). She spoke with the dealer on July 6, 2007 and they stated that she would have to wait approximately ten days before they could perform the recall work. As of July 16, 2007, the vehicle has not been repaired. The current mileage is 8,200 and failure mileage was 7,500.

- Hennessey, OK, USA

Jun 202007

Nitro 6-cyl

While driving the 2007 Dodge Nitro rt at about 50-55 mph on a phoenix freeway during rush hour traffic all the warning lights came on, the radio and air conditioning (A/C) stopped, and it seemed like the vehicle was stalling. About 2-3 seconds later the radio and A/C came back on, and the lights on the dashboard went back to normal. It should be noted that I had lifted my foot off the gas as I approached some traffic. Also, I frequent an online site called nitroforumz.com and as of today there were thirty three pages about this problem with numerous complaints of the same problem.

- Gold Canyon, AZ, USA

Jan 302007

Nitro 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Nitro. While driving 75 mph, the vehicle shut off without warning. The contact stated that the panel lights illuminated after the vehicle shut off. The vehicle would restart approximately four seconds after shutting off. This failure has occurred on three occasions. The dealer has not inspected the vehicle. The current mileage is 7,500 and failure mileage was 2,000.

- Cibolo, TX, USA

Apr 192007

Nitro 6-cyl

With only 4,500 miles on my 2007 Dodge Nitro, the entire engine stalled, died, while I was driving to work, going about 45 miles per hour. Power loss was complete, no radio, no engine, all lights on the instrument panel came on. The outage lasted about, I guess 30 secs to 1 minute, then the engine came back on as did the radio. I was in heavy traffic, on the inside lane and had it not restarted, I was in a wreck for sure as a big truck was behind me, another car next to me in the outside lane. I have taken it to the dealer which says it could be the ignition switch, but after reading for hours on the Dodge Nitro forum, I find that many have experienced this same issue and not one dealer has been able to find a fix. I have had this vehicle in the shop 7 times since I bought it. All of the problems are a problem for me as this is my only vehicle and being single, I have no other transportation to my teaching job. But this stalling issue, if not fixed, will lead to a major accident any day. Chrysler need to be actively pursuing a fix or a recall for this problem before someone is killed.

- Rockport, TX, USA

Jan 012007

Nitro 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Nitro. While driving 75 mph, the vehicle's engine shut off without warning and all of the dashboard indicator lights illuminated. The vehicle coasted for a few minutes and then automatically started again. The dealer and manufacturer stated that they were unable to diagnose the failure. The mechanic stated that this is a common failure, but the manufacturer does not know how to perform the repairs. The contact has documentation of when the vehicle was brought to the dealer. The current mileage is 11,500 and failure mileage was 2,000.

- Oakland, TN, USA