2007 Dodge Nitro engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Nitro:

2007 Dodge Nitro Owner Comments

Apr 012016

Nitro

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Nitro. While driving 40 mph, the accelerator pedal failed to release after it was depressed. As a result, the vehicle would not decelerate and crashed into a tree. The air bags failed to deploy. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Apr 012014

Nitro 4WD 6-cyl

I had slowed down to look for an address on a dead end street which abutted up to a chain link fence and an embankment just off of I-5 in lakewood, Washington. My 83 year old mother was riding in the passenger seat. My Nitro rapidly accelerating to approximately 70-80 mph. I crashed through a chain link fence and struck a tree. If it wasn't for the tree I would have ended up on I-5 and possibly collided with northbound traffic. The airbags did not deploy. However I believe this was due to primarily striking the right front side of the car. My mother sustained bruising due to the seat back tightening up and generalized soft tissue injury. I sustained neck, back, left shoulder and leg soreness. My car had 51,000 miles on it. Usaa totaled my car. I look on the internet and noticed several other complaints regarding this same issue. In addition to this, I never received a recall regarding this issue.

- Spanaway, WA, USA

Nov 182010

Nitro

After having a vibration in the under carriage of my Dodge Nitro; I then carried it to a Dodge dealership and was told that it needed an induction service. I being totally displeased with the recommendation; I decided to seek some assistance at a local garage and an investigation was done of the vehicle. As a result of the mechanic doing a few test and driving the vehicle; it was said that the vehicle had a chattering feeling coming from the drive train {automatic transmission}. the mechanic also did a google search to find that a lot of other vehicles are having the same problem!!! it was also recorded that there's some issues with the electronics and a few other parts; yet Dodge is sitting back making money off the consumers for these known defects in their vehicles. Why"?? also is it just the manner of business now to build vehicle to breakdown on an annual basis??? see nbc nightline news investigation on Dodge dealerships!!! please research!!! thank you a concerned consumer seeking assistance. Would this be a good time to start a world wide class action lawsuit??" please reply as I seek legal counsel.

- St. Mary's , GA, USA

Nov 072011

Nitro

I was getting on the freeway when the accelerator became stuck. I was riding the brake and the accelerator was still stuck. I dropped the car into neutral for a few seconds and then back to drive and the accelerator remained stuck. I dropped the vehicle into neutral for the second time and it finally clicked out.

- West Bend, WI, USA

Jul 282011

Nitro

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated while driving into a parking space, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The contact tried to engage the brake pedal but it failed to stop the vehicle, as a result it crashed into three other vehicles. A police report was filed. The driver suffered minor contusions and headaches. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 43,000.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Sep 052008

Nitro

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated that when attempting to enable the cruise control, she would receive a delayed reaction and then it would illuminate. When attempting to disable the cruise control, she had to depress the button several times as it would remain stuck. In addition, the rail rack on the top of the vehicle was not secure and could possible fracture from the vehicle and cause damage to other vehicles when driving. The dealer made three attempts to duplicate the failure but to no avail. The contact did not inform manufacturer of the failure and the vehicle was repaired three times or replaced. The current mileage was 34,016 and the failure mileage was unknown. Updated 06/01/11 updated 1/18/2012

- Gretna, NE, USA

Jul 222008

Nitro

Uncontrolled accelleration of 2007 Dodge Nitro, w/3.7 litre, has happened 5 times in six months of owning. Cant be fixed by dealer cause doesn't show code or able to duplicate when they have it, only way to stop it is to put in neutral and kill engine. Have had other problems like idle rough and surging, and like someone turning key off and on for split second while driving at highway speeds. There has not been any pattern to when sudden acel happens, it has been random and can seemingly happen w/out notice. The dealer keeps telling me to keep driving it till it does it again so they can try to get codes or something to trouble shoot it. But this is very dangerous as you would think. Im at a loss to what to do, I have contacted Dodge complaint line and they don't seem to worried about my safety as it would seem, do to them wanting me to keep bringing it back to dealer. Also no parts have been changed in order to try to correct, only hook up scanner and drive around block and flash programs at it which has seemingly had ill affect on it as in my fuel mileage has went 23-24 highway to about 15-18 now, and they cant get it back where it was, now it is parked in driveway and family wont drive because scared of it, and I M still paying on vehicle that is unsafe and no idea how to fix, or Dodge I should say, cant fix.

- Woodville , TX, USA