2008 Dodge Nitro accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Nitro:

2008 Dodge Nitro Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 072013

Nitro 6-cyl

Wife was driving home from a dinner date with a friend, we were on the phone with each other when the horn started going crazy, wipers rear and front started running on their own spitting out washer fluid, door locks going crazy, both horns going off constantly, and accelerator not working properly. She pulled over and shut the vehicle off. Everything continued to happen she removed the key from ignition and same result. I told her to try door locks on keychain no change, tried panic alarm on key chain and still nothing. She did not have tools to disconnect battery. After a few minutes it stopped. She made it home safely without any injuries except sever panic and anxiety. When this happened first thing I did was get online and look for issues. Apparently this is a commonly known issue by Chrysler. The tipm is bad. Many people reported having same issue. Chrysler wants to rip you off cause its a dealer only item. Known issue and yet no recall was ever issued. I contacted Chrysler they said per the VIN they could not authorize any repairs except for the current recall that is active. This could have led to a serious accident. Especially when you hit the brakes and not slow down at all and have to use emergency brake. So now we are stuck with a vehicle non op and don't have $1000 to fix a known issue by Chrysler. I will never buy another Chrysler product. I will be in touch with them again to seek repairs.

- Ozark, MO, USA

Sep 032013

Nitro 4WD 6-cyl

The tipm malfunctioned on my car. Which causes me driving down the interstate to lose electronics, horn stayed on, wipers stayed on and my car down shifted and would not up shift. I had to swerve to the side of the highway to avoid being hit. The dealership saw the car in person while all the electronic parts were going haywire. Then car would not shut off even with the key out of the ignition. The battery had to be disconnected. This could have been a major accident on the highway in rush hour.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

May 162013

Nitro 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated that he noticed smoke and saw that the windshield wiper motor had caught on fire. The fire was contained by the contact. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Fresno, TX, USA

Mar 012013

My 2008 Dodge Nitro's electrical system is operating on its own. It seems like it is possessed. On several occasions (at least 10 incidents) for the past few months the following occurs. The front & back windshield wipers start operating by themselves. They go fast & then sometimes they move in a stop & go method. The rhythm of the wipes is random but its common to see them do a partial wipe, then pause, another partial wipe, then pause and keeps repeating. Then all of a sudden it will go fast. The windshield washer sprayer shoot fluid (front & back) on its own, until the tank is empty. The horn goes off non stop. It just goes & goes & goes. The horn & the windshield wipers seem to operate as one. Hazard lights are blinking constantly. The light above the trunk door is blinking. The signal lights stay illuminated. The doors lock/unlock repeatedly. On the dashboard the H.a.S. and the slick road icon illuminate. This occurs while I'm parked or driving. It occurs whether the keys are in the ignition or not. There seems to be a relation between using the remote unlock & a incident occurring. Yet, it happens also when I unlock the door manually. Based on other customer complaints from this message board, they are being told its the tipm or total integrated power module that is causing the madness. Dealerships & Chrysler/Dodge corporate has told them the part is on back order. Basically they have got the run around and not received any help.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 262013

Upon disarming the alarm/unlocking doors the wipers, sprayers, lights, and horn went off. I unlocked the door with the key and tried to start the car to disable and it wouldn't. when I removed the key from the ignition it kept running as well. It would not shut off. With the key in the engine wouldn't shut off either, nor get out of park. We disabled the battery... nothing. Finally disabled the alternator and it stopped, only to start again when we plugged it all back in. There have been various occasions that the wipers have turned on when unlocking the doors in the past. Along with quite a few times upon starting with a turn of the key you must turn it twice for it to engage. This has been in for service and they couldn't find a problem at the dealer either time I took it in. This car is a hazard and cant imagine if it happened driving as in a previous story I saw. Unfortunately, none of this happens while still under warranty and if it does, they cant find a problem.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 102009

Nitro 6-cyl

My 2008 Dodge Nitro, while driving on hwy, 60-65 mph, out of nowhere the vehicle powers down. The windshield wipers spray out fluid and moves back and forward. The horn continues to make noise. My satellite radio has no signal. My driver side window button has some kind of short when trying to roll it up.this issue has been going shortly after purchasing the truck. No one seems to know what is wrong. At first Dodge chapman in vegas, they thought reprogramming the remote key. Then I paid over $600, to lithia Dodge in renton, wa because they thought it was something with the fuel tank. But no this issue continues to go. It is beginning to be a safety issue shutting down in the middle of the highway with my kids and me in the car. So I google if anyone else is having this problem and yes it appears problem has arised and it lies with the tipm. This product was recall on the 2007 Dodge Nitro. I took my truck into the dealership 7/18/12. Told them what to check, because I brought the truck there before and they couldn't find the problem. I told them to check the tipm. The service department called me today 7/20/12 and tells me yes, it is the tipm (totally integrated power module). Please help. I called Dodge customer service and they are looking into this, but states there is no recall on this issue with the year of my vehicle.

- Renton, WA, USA