2008 Dodge Nitro brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Nitro:

2008 Dodge Nitro Owner Comments

May 282016

The park brake does not hold, causing unintentional movement. This vehicle has a manual transmission. Even when left in reverse, the vehicle creeps on steeper inclines. When talking to Chrysler, I am told my VIN is not included in any recalls. There was a recall (H28) that addressed this situation on this model and year of vehicle. The problem exists in the hand brake slack adjuster. The emergency brake shoes were inspected and properly adjusted. The hand brake lever runs out of travel before the brake cable tightens enough to securely set the brakes.

- Allen, TX, USA

Dec 292015

I purchased a 2008 Dodge Nitro about 2 years ago. Everything was great until about a month ago. First the heater went out. Next the dash lights and radio started to flicker and dim. Now the only time the lights turn on in the dash area and radio area, is when I turn my right blinker on. I was pulled over last week and was told my 2 brake/tail lights were out, and only the brake light bar on the lift gate was working. I replaced the bulbs and still no lights. I have all the fuses check and also had the brake switch changed... and nothing! I took my car to 1 mechanic who could not find the issue. Now, my check engine light went on so I was able to take my car back to the mechanic. He found an ABS brake sensor issue... but that was not causing 2 of my 3 brake lights to malfunction. He believes the issue is with my tipm and it will cost me a few hundred more, just to confirm this was the issue. Dodge also wants to charge me a few hundred to look at my car and diagnosis this issue. Its very frustrating to know that this car manufacturer is aware of all the issues with the tipm and they are not willing to cover the cost. I feel like I bought a lemon. I loved Dodge before this. My other car is a 2006 Dodge magnum and its still hanging in their just great. I really hope this part is recalled on all models.

- Ventura, CA, USA

Dec 122014

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated that the key fob failed to activate whenever attempting to access the front passenger side door and both rear doors. Also, the liftgate failed to open with the key fob. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who informed that the timp and the control module needed to be replaced. In addition, whenever the brakes were engaged a loud screeching noise emitted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Melrose Park , IL, USA

Dec 312014

I have a 2008 Dodge Nitro 4X4 3.7L. My rear brake pads have worn about 1/8" into the rotor. I had gotten new tires for my vehicle not too long ago & ever since then I have been hearing what sounds like a clanking sound that seems to be coming from either the driver side rear or front tire area. It only makes this sound between speeds of 5mph to 30mph, then it seems to go away after doing 40+mph. My brakes don't squeal or make sounds when I push them. Only when I accelerate from a complete stop does this clanking sound occur. I have not inspected the rotor yet, but looks fine from what I can see. I know I'm gonna need new brake pads soon but I have no clue what or where this sound is coming from.

- Sidney , NE, USA

Oct 272014

Nitro 6-cyl

I had 2 consecutive instances yesterday where, while driving, all of the notices came on on the dashboard display, my anti lock brakes locked up and then released, along with my horn and front and rear wipers engaging and not being able to be turned off. Also, once I pulled over and removed the keys, these issues continued, and the vehicle was still running despite no key being in the ignition. After waiting approximately 20 minutes, and once all of the anti theft features had stopped, I got back into my car, started it, and no more than 40 feet down the road, the vehicle repeated the earlier issue with the anti lock brakes locking up momentarily, the horn was blaring, and both the front and rear wipers started and wouldn't stop even when trying to use the wiper control to turn them off. Again, the vehicle appeared to still be running even after shutting the key off and removing it from the ignition.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Apr 072014

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated that the brakes were inoperable. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 08V525000 (parking brake). However, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 119,000.

- Stillwater, OK, USA

Sep 032013

Nitro 4WD 6-cyl

I have had problems with what I believe is the electrical and I am afraid of it causing a fire. I have had dash lights come on for the breaks only to have the Chrysler dealer tell me nothing is wrong. Then when the turn signal is turned on the dome light was flashing. Then 4 dash lights come on and it has something to do with the break system brought to mechanic he done an analysis said I needed a part. A week later the lights are out so I went back and this time was told as long as the lights are out there is nothing wrong. I am not a mechanic or scientist but I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to know something is not right with the electrical. The locks lock and unlock by themselves and this zaps my battery. I have a brand new battery which is dead today. I have called Chrysler and they said I have to have another analysis done"??" this is crazy!

- Aurora, CO, USA

Sep 022013

Nitro 6-cyl

1. every time I fill up gas spilld out all over! 2. the gear shift pops out of first gear on a regular basis when taking of from a stop. 3. the emergency brake has stopped working at all! I contacted my local dealership with a recall I received on the under body transmission tunnel shield and they have yet to fix the problem say im on the list its been months!

- Bogata, TX, USA

Jan 082014

Nitro 6-cyl

All things electrical go crazy, locks are locking and unlocking on there own, even when I am driving down the road and eventually don't work at all. Lights don't work on drivers side of car. I push the brake and the dome light in the hatch area on passenger floor light up. All sensor lights are on, in the dash area, seat belt, brake, air bags, etc. Brake light is flashing on and off and dinging when it feels like it. This is an on going problem for a lot of the 2008 Dodge Nitro and I see 152 complaints alone on this website and a lot more on the Since they are no longer making this vehicle, but a majority of people that bought this 2008 Nitro are having this problem. I beg you to please look into this and have a recall on this! thank you!

- East Jordan, MI, USA

Sep 182013

I dropped my daughter off at school and was returning home when all the dash lights appeared and vehicle started to shut down. Had the battery checked and alternator checked both was fine. Similar problems occurred about 8 months earlier replaced battery and battery ends. Took the vehicle to dealer to get checked out. Same problem with battery ends needs replacing. Also have been replacing rear lights every three to six months turns out the switch needed to be replaced. Not sure if these are normal problems for a five year old vehicle.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Jun 012012

Nitro 6-cyl

A week after I bought the truck I was driving home and all the lights on the dashboard came on. There was a slight shaking from time to time when I would go and stop. It did not do it every time I drove it. I took it to the dealer and told them I did not want the truck. They told me there was nothing they could do that they would fix the problem for free. I had to fight with them for 3 months to figure out what was wrong. They never gave me a direct answer, but said they fixed the problem. The following month the ABS light came back on, and I took the truck back again. I described the shaking that didn't happen all the time. They made the light go off, and told me if the shake happened I should bring it while it was happening because they couldn't tell otherwise what the issue was. About 2 months ago, my back brake locked up and started smoking after my vacation which the heat shield was flapping in the wind out of no where on the ride home and fell off when I stopped(still yet to be fixed). I replaced the caliper, brake, and the rotors. I had the front checked and they said the brakes were fine. 2 weeks later the shaking started again, and the front brake locked up and started smoking. I had to repeat replacing all the same parts. 2 weeks later again! the front brake started locking up so hard it pulled to the left, and was glowing red when I pulled over. I took it to Dodge this time, and they told me the brake line had collapsed. When will this end and are all these things related to the recalls" if not considering I drive my 4 children in this car and it is a danger what can I do about it" why did they not tell me these cars have these issues, and why are they selling them and not notifying buyers of potential life threatening problems.the coils, and brakes and all are rusty like a old car I don't understand how a car as new and well taken care of could be this way.

- Beaufort, SC, USA