2008 Dodge Nitro lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Nitro:

2008 Dodge Nitro Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 292015

I purchased a 2008 Dodge Nitro about 2 years ago. Everything was great until about a month ago. First the heater went out. Next the dash lights and radio started to flicker and dim. Now the only time the lights turn on in the dash area and radio area, is when I turn my right blinker on. I was pulled over last week and was told my 2 brake/tail lights were out, and only the brake light bar on the lift gate was working. I replaced the bulbs and still no lights. I have all the fuses check and also had the brake switch changed... and nothing! I took my car to 1 mechanic who could not find the issue. Now, my check engine light went on so I was able to take my car back to the mechanic. He found an ABS brake sensor issue... but that was not causing 2 of my 3 brake lights to malfunction. He believes the issue is with my tipm and it will cost me a few hundred more, just to confirm this was the issue. Dodge also wants to charge me a few hundred to look at my car and diagnosis this issue. Its very frustrating to know that this car manufacturer is aware of all the issues with the tipm and they are not willing to cover the cost. I feel like I bought a lemon. I loved Dodge before this. My other car is a 2006 Dodge magnum and its still hanging in their just great. I really hope this part is recalled on all models.

- Ventura, CA, USA

Jan 012015

Brake lights constantly previously had to replaced by correct bulbs noted in manual. Now both brake lights not working but top brake light does.

- Seymour, CT, USA

Oct 012015

Nitro 6-cyl

2008 Dodge Nitro. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle electrical system and mechanical repair problems. The consumer stated the ac and went out, along with the low and high switch melting some of the under panel where the switch was mounted. Smoke was coming from out the dash while driving. The horn was blared out of control, draining the battery, the radio would not come on, the doors locked and unlocked uncontrollably, the wheel and hub failed on the front of the vehicle, the water pump was replaced, the brakes were replaced three times, in one year. When the consumer clicked the unlock button on the key pad, the door locks went haywire, it would lock and the consumer was unable to enter the vehicle. Also, the catalytic converter was replaced. The tipm was replaced. However, a week later, the problems returned with the headlights staying on, the horn blaring out of control and the doors locking and unlocking and not being able to enter the vehicle. The head lights and tail lights were replaced several times.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jul 072015

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated that while the vehicle was parked, the headlights became inoperable. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the computer module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 132,000. The VIN was not available.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Sep 042015

For months, we have been having issues with unlocking the vehicle using the key fob. Problems have since worsened in the last week to include loss of low beam headlights, uncontrollable horn honking, front and rear wiper activation when not engaged, doors locking on their own, overnight battery drainage, trouble starting the vehicle, vehicle not turning off with key removed, horn honking while driving, esp/bas lights flashing, traction control light flashing, lights dimming and A/C system turning off on its own. All research points to a faulty tipm system, which has been recalled for previous years, and years following the 2008 model year of this vehicle. Some of these issues have occurred while sitting parked with no key in the ignition, other issues have occurred while the vehicle is in motion. It's very concerning, as this is our only vehicle, that these issues could cause loss of vehicle control. There have been dozens of complaints reported for this same model year vehicle to the NHTSA of vehicles losing control of steering and braking systems at highway speeds. With a two year old, his safety is paramount, and this potentially dangerous vehicle is becoming increasingly unsafe for us to drive.

- Valparaiso, FL, USA

Jan 022013

The horn / alarm/ lights/ locks / windows, constantly go off & on with no warning. It happened randomly at first but now 09/03/2015 it is a everyday occurrence. I have taken it to the dealer to switch out remote, update electrical system and still the dealer has no idea. Ive disconnected the battery, replaced fuses, nothing. I was told it might be the tipm since several 2008 models have the same problem. They replaced the 2010-2012 but not the 2007 & 2008 models. I need this problem fixed before a severe electrical problem occurs...

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 152015

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Nitro. After starting the vehicle, the headlights blinked twice then shut off. The failure recurred multiple times intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated that the tipm module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 51,000.

- Seminole, FL, USA

Aug 142014

The headlights stopped working. At first they would flash on and off. After 4 or 5 times of turning on the lights, they wouldn't even flash. We tried changing the fuses, but nothing worked. The lights remained inoperative until it rained. Once it rained, all of a sudden the lights started operating normally. This pattern has continued for over a year. Sometimes the lights work and sometimes they don't. the dealer says it is a tipm problem. Apparently, this is a common problem with Dodge Nitros. We did have a mechanic replace the lights/turn signal lever in the car. The lights worked without issue for about 3 months. Now, they are not working again. And now we are having other issues such as the horn going off and the windshield wipers and washer fluid going off randomly and nothing I do will stop it. After about 5 minutes, everything stopped on its own. Thankfully, we were in a parking lot at the time. I can only imagine the danger if this happened while driving in heavy traffic or at a high rate of speed. This is a huge safety issue. Chrysler should recall this and repair the vehicles affected.

- Lockport, IL, USA

May 272015

This is my third incident with a faulty tipm on my 2008 Dodge Nitro slt. Lights, horns, front and rear wipers as well as the washer fluid spraying out of control. I remove the fuse for both the left and right horns to silence them, then remove the positive battery cable to reset the tipm. It has been successful so far. Looking for a replacement unit for preventive measures.

- Sterling, VA, USA

Jan 222015

Nitro 6-cyl

I walked out to my car one morning to make a trip into town. The instant I opened the door the horn started blaring without a pause, the windshield wipers both front and rear were running on their top speed. I have absolutely no control over the car. I cant even get it out of park to have a tow truck pick it up. The gauge cluster says "no bus" and the only culprit I can think of would be the famous Dodge tipm.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Apr 012013

The windshield wipers either won't come on at all or will continually move all over the windshield as you drive. The wiper malfunction is extremely worse if you have the headlights on and use the turn signal. This causes them to quickly fully extend to the very edge of the windshields drivers side. This causes extreme visibility problems. The Dodge dealership has not been able to fix the problem after several visits and multiple attempts of replacing parts including the turn signal wand and the entire wiper assembly. The mechanic said Dodge recommended replacing the tipm, which the manufacturer was aware of a huge problem with this part on Nitros. After doing some research I could not believe all the complaints with no action being taken by Chrysler or the government for my model year. Recalls were issued for older years, so why not the 2008 with the same problems? I can't safely drive my car with my vision constantly compromised and I can't even sell it with all the horrible reviews. Now it just sits in my driveway because I am too nervous to drive it with these problems.

- Cardington, OH, USA

May 012013

Nitro 4WD 6-cyl

It was may of 2013, not sure of exact date. It was evening and raining out. I went to get in my car and when I started the ignition and put my headlights on, they went off. After about 15 seconds they came back on, but started to flicker. After I shut the car off and turned back on the headlights remained on. Over the past year this has happened more and more. Each time is when there is moisture: Rain, snow or frost. This year the occurrences are getting more frequent. I have had head lights replaced. The switch. A battery. I was finally told it is the tipm. The part will be between $600-700 (just for the part), its on national backorder, it could be months until they even get it in. Now this means my only vehicle I can't drive. I leave for work at 5:00 a.M, which is dark and return in the evening (in winter) around 5:30 which is dark. These lights go out randomly and Dodge said they are unaware of any tipm problems. This is a major safety issue to myself and the public.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Nov 062014

Nitro 4WD 6-cyl

Headlights came on by themselves and stayed on for approximately 30 seconds each time; this happened 3 times. The keys were lying on a table undisturbed. The doors have also locked by themselves.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 062014

Nitro 4WD 6-cyl

The windshield wipers ran as fast as they could without us being able to shut them off. We had no turn signals or headlights. This was diagnosed as a faulty tipm. We paid $1100 to have it replaced and reprogrammed.

- Draper, UT, USA

Aug 242014

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated that the head lights failed to operate. The contact mentioned that the lights would flash three times before shutting off. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the tipm needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 118,000.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Aug 022014

Nitro 6-cyl

When attempting to turn on headlights, they flash 2 or 3 times and go off. They will not stay on. It's like the computer or a relay is attempting several times and then gives up. I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and the problem cleared for a few hours. It came back exactly like before. Another disconnect would not clear the problem again. Also, the horn will now sound when unlocking the doors. This has been an intermittent problem for several years. Press the remote unlock and the alarm horn sounds. Previously it was about once every couple of months but now is several times per day. Sometimes it does it even when unlocking the door manually rather than with the remote. The fog lights are fine but high and low beams are unusable, now. Based on internet research, this is a very common problem among various Dodge vehicles and often requires replacing the tipm for around $1000.

- Bluefield, VA, USA

May 012012

Nitro 6-cyl

I have been a police officer for over 21 plus years of my life worse Dodge vehicle I have ever owned. This vehicle is a 2008 Dodge Nitro.I am praying that this will help before somebody gets killed in this vehicle. The road noise in this vehicle is so loud U cant hear yourself talk. The vehicle started shooting wiper fluid driving down the roadway, turned windshield wipers on and they don't work. Stopped the vehicle without wrecking because of traffic they come on and wont turn off. Horn goes off all the time going down the roadway. The headlights will turn off without any notice. The transmission will stop shifting, stops U in the roadway. The back running lights go off and on. The air conditioner has now stopped working. The window will roll down at any given time. This has happened several times in rain storms where nothing works vehicle will shut off. I know the 2007 had a recall on the tipm but nothing yet on the 2008. I had this vehicle in the shop sense may I had no other means of getting to work so I'm driving this vehicle now and letting my wife drive my truck. The mechanic said I should sell this death trap. I cant do that I will trust that someone on this site will help. Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you. Please help with getting these problem placed on an active recall. Been making payments on a vehicle I cant even drive. I would even be glad to let yall run test on this vehicle. They call me moparlawman. I don't know how long I can stay fateful to a company putting vehicles out for sale like this. Thanks

- Columbus, MS, USA

May 122010

Nitro 6-cyl

Intermitent problem only corrected by removing the battery cable and reconnecting, the windshield wipers will start working at start up of engine, no lights will respond, signal lights, horn, headligths and wipers cannot be turned off. Car is able to be driven during this malfunctions making it unsafe in case of emergency. Also during normal driving door locks unlock and lock on intervals of one second or two, radio changes stations on its own continuously. Problem has been happening more often now, almost daily.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 082014

Nitro 6-cyl

All things electrical go crazy, locks are locking and unlocking on there own, even when I am driving down the road and eventually don't work at all. Lights don't work on drivers side of car. I push the brake and the dome light in the hatch area on passenger floor light up. All sensor lights are on, in the dash area, seat belt, brake, air bags, etc. Brake light is flashing on and off and dinging when it feels like it. This is an on going problem for a lot of the 2008 Dodge Nitro and I see 152 complaints alone on this website and a lot more on the Since they are no longer making this vehicle, but a majority of people that bought this 2008 Nitro are having this problem. I beg you to please look into this and have a recall on this! thank you!

- East Jordan, MI, USA

Nov 192013

Blinkers stopped working suddenly. Headlights and front wipers do not turn off. Rear wiper will not turn on. Horn blasts occasionally at will.

- Puyallup, WA, USA