3.0

2008 Dodge Nitro miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Nitro:

2008 Dodge Nitro Owner Comments

Oct 012016

Nitro

The winshield wipers turn on and off, the horn keeps honking, doors lock and unlock on their own, heater turns on and off, and the vehicle will not start sometimes. The vehicle isn't constantly doing this but it will randomly happen when the vehicle is in motion or even when it's on idle.

- Clearfield, UT, USA

Nov 082015

Nitro

My door locks were not locking via car door lock buttons and key remote.only could unlock via key remote and door button. And had to manually lock doors. Replaced M38 fuse that was blown. Still didn't work researched online and removed neg. Cable from battery for 10-15 mins. Also remove iod fuse, nothing now my car will not do anything!!! only thing working is the mirror buttons and dome lights button. Nothing!!!! wth!!! researched online and alot of people with same problem. Seems it may be the tipm !! Chrysler needs to own up to this problem and fix/recall the 2008 Dodge Nitro too!! now have to havevehicle towedto dealership to get it fixed. Andthe $1400 extended warrenty I purchased just expired in Jan.!!!! also the fan/blower fortheheat wasnot working at all. Thismay be the resistor but can't look into thisbecause car sont start or do anything!!!!!

- Apollo, PA, USA

Jun 112012

Nitro

Had a spring under cylinder break, $375 to fix. Replaced the tipm $555.95 now the skim needs to be replaced. I have been waiting since 8/28/15 for the part to come in. It is now 9/5/15 and the dealerships telling me they don't now where the part is and why it hasn't came in yet. Also since it is a hoilday weekend they can't find out any thing until 9/8. I have no other means of transportation. Very frustrated! I will tell everybody I see with a Nitro to go trade it in asap buy anything but a Dodge!

- Byron , GA, USA

Jan 022013

Nitro

The horn / alarm/ lights/ locks / windows, constantly go off & on with no warning. It happened randomly at first but now 09/03/2015 it is a everyday occurrence. I have taken it to the dealer to switch out remote, update electrical system and still the dealer has no idea. Ive disconnected the battery, replaced fuses, nothing. I was told it might be the tipm since several 2008 models have the same problem. They replaced the 2010-2012 but not the 2007 & 2008 models. I need this problem fixed before a severe electrical problem occurs...

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 022013

Nitro

Two years ago my locks just stopped locking and unlocking. My windshield wiper fluid also stopped working. This presents a safety problem because on this vehicle there is only a manual key lock on the drivers side door. There is no way to lock the hatchback either. Anyone can have access to my vehicle at any time. When I'm driving if there is a dust storm I have no way to clean the windshield as the fluid does not dispense. I have contacted Dodge and they want me to pay to have it evaluated. I understand from a Dodge forum website that this is a common problem in the 2008 and Dodge does not want to take responsibility.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Aug 142014

Nitro

The headlights stopped working. At first they would flash on and off. After 4 or 5 times of turning on the lights, they wouldn't even flash. We tried changing the fuses, but nothing worked. The lights remained inoperative until it rained. Once it rained, all of a sudden the lights started operating normally. This pattern has continued for over a year. Sometimes the lights work and sometimes they don't. the dealer says it is a tipm problem. Apparently, this is a common problem with Dodge Nitros. We did have a mechanic replace the lights/turn signal lever in the car. The lights worked without issue for about 3 months. Now, they are not working again. And now we are having other issues such as the horn going off and the windshield wipers and washer fluid going off randomly and nothing I do will stop it. After about 5 minutes, everything stopped on its own. Thankfully, we were in a parking lot at the time. I can only imagine the danger if this happened while driving in heavy traffic or at a high rate of speed. This is a huge safety issue. Chrysler should recall this and repair the vehicles affected.

- Lockport, IL, USA

Jul 152014

Nitro

Driving down road when all of a sudden heard herendous squealing noise so loud couldn't stay inside vehicle while moving. Upon examination I discovered a heat shield had fallen against and wrapped itself around the drive shaft. I now know the aluminum piece to be the heat shield from the transfer case. This shield is one involved for recalls of same year make and model two wheel drive. My Dodge Nitro 2008 is a 4X4 model not included in said recall. My question to the government as well as Chrysler is one of why not"?" fix my vehicle safety hazard too...

- Middlesex, NY, USA

May 152011

Nitro

Gas gets too high in the fill tube and it doesn't shut off making a good amount of gas spill over.

- Fair Play , MO, USA

Mar 072009

Nitro

Sunroof of 2008 Dodge Nitro SXT leaks after it rains. The problem started one month after the vehicle was purchased (March 2009). Dealership could not find source of the leak on first occurence so sunroof glass was adjusted. Second occurence was in April of 2009. Leak was finally discovered by dealership's service department and all components dealing with the sunroof was "replaced". third occurence of same problem occured in early January 2010. Water that leaks into the vehicle not only will eventually ruin the interior but the water leaks in around a set of map lights located just above the rear view mirror. This combination of water and electricity could result in someone being electrocuted or the vehicle catching on fire as a result of a shortage.

- Town Creek, AL, USA