3.4

2010 Dodge Nitro electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Nitro:

2010 Dodge Nitro Owner Comments

Nov 052015

Nitro

My vehicle headlights will not cut on. Though it is not all the time it does happen a good 80% of the time and more now than ever. When you unlock the lock the lights will flicker. Then when you go to cut the lights on they will flicker on and off until they cut completely off and will not come back on until either the next day or the next couple of days. The lights will not cut on in motion or at a complete stop. This is a serious hazard especially for those who go in and get off work at night. This can cause accident and is definitely considered endangerment.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 092015

Nitro

I attempted to start my vehicle one afternoon when I turned the key the radio turned on, the windshield wipers turned on (but were not turned to the on position) but the vehicle never turned over. I checked to make sure the vehicle was in park (it was). I tried three more times to start the vehicle with the same results. Each time checking that the windshield wipers were in the off position and again making sure the car was in park with my foot on the brake. Vehicle after another attempt started. This has not happened again since?? I have noticed in my rear view mirror that the rear windshield wiper will turn on and off every once in a while randomly (without my turning it on).

- Eagle River, WI, USA

Feb 022015

Nitro

Low beam headlights do not work most of the time. One or the other might work at random times. Removed horn fuse as the horn would honk at random times for various amounts of time. Can not drive this vehicle safely in the dark.

- Buckeye, AZ, USA

Jan 122011

Nitro

My vehicle continues to stall without warning. I have taken my vehicle to the dealer on numerous occasions they continue to say nothing is wrong with the car, and they are not aware of any problems with the vehicle. I also have taken it to independent mechanics they say it doesn't give any codes. It seems there is a recurring issue with the Nitro that is at this point becoming a safety hazard. The gas spews out when I fill the tank again they say there is no problem.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 172014

Nitro

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, all of the warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel, the alarm activated as smoke started to emit from the vehicle before it caught on fire. A police report was not filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was towed to a tow yard. The vehicle was not diagnosed by the dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 52,000.

- Lebanon, IN, USA

Sep 012014

Nitro

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Nitro. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart but the failure recurred on numerous occasions. The certified mechanic was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Aug 212014

Nitro 6-cyl

Headlights come and go car dies and can not steer in rain wipers quit working the tpim module is going out Chrysler has been in a class action suit for this and is claiming they are not responsible but the problem is so bad that the tpim module is on national back order 2 to 3 months to receive the new module plus 1200 dollars have contacted Chrysler corporate office numerous times and no help so far.

- Sandoval, IL, USA

May 052014

Nitro

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Nitro. The contact stated while driving the vehicle suddenly stalled and could not be restarted. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the totally integrated power module malfunctioned. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 37000.

- North Hollywood, CA, USA

Jun 012013

Nitro

I have had problems ever since I have had this vehicle. First my A/C unit went out, the Dodge dealership put a dye in my unit to find a leak, there was not leak so they filled it with freon and I was on my way. A few months later the same think happened again and they filled it again and could not find a leak. Then it happened again and finally they said my compressor went out (mind you this was a brand new vehicle!!) so they replaced it. This was the first 2 years I had it. Then I had issues with my gear shifter and some wire that attached it to my gas pedal or something according to them. I had taken it in and told them my car kept stalling and would not start at all, they took a look at it and the cable had snapped, so they replaced it. This was the second year I have had it. Now the past month or so, all my lights are coming on and the bright red brake light comes on and stays on for a few minutes. Then my car will stall in the middle of traffic at a red light and sometimes when I get started driving. I seriously loved this car at first, but I would never recommend this vehicle to anyone, nor would I ever buy one ever again. I think they need to get me another vehicle asap, cause this one is a death trap waiting to happen!

- Midway, GA, USA

Oct 072012

Nitro 6-cyl

10/07/2012 at 3:00pm on Sunday afternoon, the horn on the vehicle started blowing for no reason. It sounded like someone was trapped in the vehicle and trying to get attention. This went on for and finally stopped on its own just as it had started on its own. Nothing else happened for the few days. 10/13/2012 at 2:30 am on Sunday morning, the horn started to blow again in the same manner as before except I removed the fuses to get to stop. I took it to the Dodge dealership and was told they could find no problems. Two days later horn went off again I called the dealership and was told to bring it in. I was pulled over by the police. The police thought I was " under distress" had remove the fuses and proceed on to dealership. Upon placing the fuses back in the horn would blow at random again. A master control computer and was told it was fixed. It started again random horn yesterday 10/23/2012 dealership took straight to dealership they still have the Nitro.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Oct 072012

Nitro

I have a 2010 Dodge Nitro. Sunday night I had the scariest episode of uncontrollable acceleration. The pedal was not blocked by anything, it moved freely. But when I pressed on the accelerator, it kept accelerating. Nothing stopped this short of putting the car in neutral, even pressing on the brakes with all my weight only slowed the car down. I was scared out of my mind. Nothing worked except for to slam on the brakes, put the car in neutral, then park, and turn the car off. When I turned the car back on, everything was fine. I have never had any other problems with my Nitro. It may be a glitch but this is too scary to not report. No one was hurt thankfully, but we were seconds away from being automatically forced into an intersection of oncoming traffic if my boyfriend hadn't been smart enough to tell me to put the car in park and turn it off. I immediately took it into the dealership (its there right now, I immediately called the dealer after this happened). I could have seriously hurt or killed myself, or someone else. I know I have read other forums where people have had the same issue with their Nitro. I am seriously considering getting a new car and never buying from Dodge again. I have a brand new baby I have to think about and that was too scary to even risk happening again. Dodge needs to do something about this, its unacceptable for any vehicle to perform like this, even once. Especially when lives are at stake.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Nov 282011

Nitro 6-cyl

11/28/2011 at 3:19 am on Monday morning, the horn on the vehicle started blowing for no reason. It sounded like someone was trapped in the vehicle and trying to get attention. This went on for about 35 minutes and finally stopped on its own just as it had started on its own. Nothing else happened for the next week. 12/5/2011 at 12:13 am on Monday morning, the horn started to blow again in the same manner as before except only for a short time (approx 30-45 seconds) it would start and stop at random over the next 7 hours. The horns are hidden in the engine/bumper area so my only choice was to disconnect the battery. This was done by the prompting of the police officer that answered the "distress" call that he had received from the 911 dispatcher. Upon hooking the battery back up the next morning, nothing was abnormal until I started to drive to work. The horn would blow at random once again for the entire 36 mile trip to my job. I called the local dealer that I purchased it from and was told that this was an unknown problem to them and I would have to pay for the diagnostics and repairs. I think this is sad to have a 22 month old vehicle that was purchase brand new and have this type of problem. I researched the internet and found which fuses control the horn circuit and removed them to keep the peace with the neighbors and not anger other drivers. I have had 3 encounters with other drivers not paying attention and needed to signal them, only to not have a horn. I was forced into oncoming traffic last night (12/7/11), no accident, but real darn close. I didn't realize how important of a safety item the horn is until I didn't have one. This problem is not related to the factory security system.

- Cary, NC, USA