9.1

1. Dodge should issue recall (23 reports)
  3. new improved dash (6 reports)
  4. replace dash (6 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram:

2001 Dodge Ram Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 202010

Ram SLT 5.9L Diesel

I bought the truck with one crack in the dash now there is shards of plastic cracking across the dash . If I were to be in an accident and the air bags were to go off the dash would literally explode plastic through out the cab of the truck causing significant issues . The plastic is brittle like a potato chip .

- , Jamul, CA, USA

Aug 012012

Ram SLT 5.9L

I HAVE ALWAYS HAD A CARPET DASH COVER OM MY DASH TO PREVENT DIRECT SUN DAMAGE. THE VEHICLE WAS KEPT GARAGED MOST OF THE TIME WHEN NOT IN USE. THE DASH WENT UNNOTICED UNTIL IT COMPLETELY FELL IN. IT HAS CAUSED SEVERAL ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS ie POWER MIRRORS, DOME LIGHT, GLOVE BOX LIGHT, RADIO NO LONGER WORK. FUSES ALL HAVE BEEN CHECKED AND THERE IS POWER TO THE FUSES. I ALSO GET SEVERAL CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS THAT I HAVE TO RESET. I AM VERY CONCERNED AS TO WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF THE AIRBAG IS DEPLOYED WHILE DRIVING DUE TO A SHORT OR IN AN ACCIDENT. I'M SURE THAT THE REMAINING PLASTIC WILL SHATTER. DODGE WILL SELL ME ANOTHER DASH MADE OF THE SAME PLASTIC (nos).

- , Browns Valley, CA, USA

Jan 012004

Ram LX 5.2V8

My 2001 Dodge truck interior is completely falling part. In my opinion it is due to the inferior material that Dodge employs in manufacturing the product. The dash is falling apart in pieces, and getting worse by the day. Dodge has not accepted responsibility for this defect and refuses to make good on its products. You can expect this problem on all Dodge products - BAD INTERIOR

- , Miami, FL, USA

Dec 012013

Ram 360

One owner, garage kept with a little less than 70,000 miles. The dash had a small crack that appeared early last fall. Now it is actually falling apart. Truck is in excellent shape other than this and I have never had any issues. But this is a defect in the material the dash is made of. I probably be looking at Ford/Chevy for my next truck unless Dodge fixes this. Very disappointed.

- , Mt Juliet, TN, USA

Aug 302013

Ram

Fix my dash, it is dangerous. Plastic pieces are sharp and it looks bad.

- , Norristown, PA, USA

Jul 012008

Ram SLT Laramie 5.9L Diesel 6

I did not know this was a widespread issue and Dodge should replace the dashboards at no cost to the owners. This is clearly a manufacturing defect.

- , Murrieta, CA, USA

Nov 112008

Ram Larime 5.9L V8

It’s embarrassing and really takes away from an otherwise nice looking truck. I would be happy if they sold me the dash at their cost and I’ll install it. They wouldn’t even do that. Over $500 to fix what seems to be a material defect. That’s ridiculous.

- , Arden, NC, USA

Aug 102011

Ram SLT 5.9L Cummins

I have owned this truck since new ,always taking care to wash and wax on regular basis. After a visit to dealer for A/C issue I noticed a crack in dash board I went back to dealer and they said they had nothing to do with that . They said all Ram truck dashes from that year are known to do that. I said if its a known issue why doesn't Dodge fix this through warranty ( which I bought Extended Max Care Plus) Their reply was it was a cosmetic issue and interior pieces are not covered. I have a giant hole in my dash board that a Hero sandwich could fall through. THANKS DODGE!!!

- , East Islip, NY, USA

Jan 012006

Ram V8

Every Dodge Ram I've seen from around this year has a cracked dash. Dodge is aware its an issue but wont do anything about it, SHAME ON YOU DODGE! We've never abused our truck, no off roading either. I believe its a safety issue as well.

- , Eugene, OR, USA

May 292007

Ram LS 5.9L

dash has totally collapsed in big chucks flying out hitting passengers and driver when hitting bumps or driving with windows down. plus looks like crap.

- , Marshfield, MO, USA

Jul 182011

Ram Sport 5.9L V8

Owned the truck, from new, for 10 years without any issues with the dash. However, within a month of noticing the first crack, two chucks have broken off and the dash is littered with cracks.

- , Leola, PA, USA

May 152013

Ram V8

I keep my vehicles clean and in original condition. If is very unsightly to see a big crack in my dashboard. I will do something about it but not sure what at this point. Wife says sell the truck and buy a Ford...

My truck has low mileage ( 54900 ) and has been kept out of the sun most of the time. The damage is not related to being left out in the sun.

- , Vanceboro, NC, USA

Jul 072007

Ram EX 3.2L

Dodge should be sued by the entire population that owns a dodge truck, this should be fixed at no charge to consumers, you can't even get a decent trade in price because of this, sorry company, Obama should step in and demand this be corrected for every dodge truck owner

- , Whitewright, TX, USA

Apr 162010

Ram Sport 1500 Quad Cab 5.2L

Total piece of crap. The whole dash and front part that houses gauges is all cracked and broken into pieces....And as isual like the death wobbleDODGE DOES NOTHING!!!!

- , N.Haben, CT, USA

May 312002

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.2L

After purchasing this truck new only one year later the dash began cracking we went to dealer and we were told to wait it wasn't that bad they felt dodge would recall it. Not that bad really! Wasn't supposed to be that way. As the years progressed the cracks grew larger, still same response from dealer. In retrospect I should have demanded they replace it,but they told me the new one would just do the same thing to be patient they were working on correcting the issue. My fault for trusting them I suppose. As you would expect things just got worse more and longer cracks to the point now where the cracks are about to the trim bezel. Well today I contacted there customer assistance line and was told very politely that there was nothing they could do about it at this point because of the vehicles age and being out of warranty the truck currently has 60,000 miles which is quite low for a truck this age. Irregardless of age the truck has had this issue since almost new and under advisement of dealer I was duped into letting it go and now I get that response from customer UNassistence. I realize this is a very common problem so there should be some resolution. I had purchased a new intrepid in 97 a new Dakota in 96 a new jeep grand Cherokee limited in 01 as well and this year I've decided to purchase three new vehicles none of which will be any Chrysler products because of this issue. Previously was considering a new Cherokee, 300 awd, and a new truck. I can assure you they will be a different make now. What a waste it was to bail out this company. I feel sorry for their employees working in their factories because with this type of management they will continue to fail. I have to go now, off to look at new fords.

- , Chandler, IN, USA

Jan 082013

Ram

BOUGHT 2001 DODGE RAM 1500 AND DASH STARTED TO CRACK. DID RESEARCH AND FOUND THIS SITE WITH SIMILAR COMPLAINTS. DODGE SHOULD RECALL THE VEHICLES DUE TO THIS AS THEY MAY BECOME A SAFETY ISSUE.

- , TEMPLE, TX, USA

Jun 012008

Ram 1500 V8

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 and a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 and both dashes are busted up. I finally realized that there was a problem when both were doing it. I got into my husband's truck and cut my hand. As I was working on my hand my son let me know that his was also doing this. Niether let me know they thought it was just the sun. THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE. NOT ONLY DID I CUT MYSELF, BUT MY SIX YEAR OLD DAUGHTER RIDES IN THESE VEHICLES AS WELL. IF THEY EVER GET INTO AN ACCIDENT THOSE BUSTED DASHING ARE GOING TO BE LIKE SHARPNEL GOING OFF WHEN THE AIR BAGS COME OUT. Something definately needs to be done. Filing a complaint with dodge. I also have a 2007 Dodge Durango. I am a dodge girl but this is unexceptable. I will be uploading pictures.

- , Cairo, GA, USA

Jan 012008

Ram SLT 5.9L V8

OK, I am a Dodge fan. Have been since i started driving. My first truck was one. still have it today. But dodge let me down on this. They should replace this dash for me. I shouldn't have to put a penny of my own money into it. THIS IS A DEFECT. Come on dodge, help us out. This dash is in awful shape. It's not just cracked, it's busted all to pieces. I wouldn't mind a few cracks. but this. there is no dash if you ask me. Again, come on dodge. Help us Dodge fans out.

- , Waxhaw, NC, USA

Sep 012002

Ram Diesel

This truck has been the biggest automotive disappointment I have ever had. There is a total lack of quality and durability.

- , La Jolla, CA, USA

Nov 012008

Ram V8

My dashboard began to crack after about 5 years. It steadily got worse and looked terrible. I did not have a safety concern but if I had an accident with airbag deployment may have been catastrophic. I found a company that sells dashboard covers that are glued over the existing Dash at a cost of about $500.00. I installed the cover, looks better but not great. I do have a concern that the cover will impede airbags if needed but installed anyway. I contacted the dealer and was refused any repair or reimbursement. Very unhappy with Dodge. will never purchase another dodge.

Engine is also sludgy and may need to replace. I am told this model has a terrible history of sludge build up and am told by numerous sources that engine replacement is more cost effective then a rebuild by the time the engine is stripped and rebuilt from the bottom up.

This was my third dodge in a row and never again!!!

- , Middletown, Delaware, USA