8.1

2. replace dashboard (16 reports)
  3. must replace (12 reports)
  4. manufacturer recall (10 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Dodge Ram:

2002 Dodge Ram Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Dec 222012

Ram 5.2L

My wife got this truck used for Christmas of 2012. My son got it for my wife and I at an auction. Then it has a small hole in the driver's side dash about 3 or 4 inches in diameter. I tried to get the broken piece out and another piece broke out.

I was scraping off my old registration sticker and dropped the scraper which broke out another piece. Trying to get that piece out I cut the back side of my hand on the broken pieces still on the dash. No stitches but just bandages. Set my phone up there and another piece broke out. That piece just crumbled in my hand.Since the dash is part of the crumple zone I hate to think of what would happen in an accident.

I will try to cover it with a piece of rug but the sturdiness of the dash is still compromised.

- , Waskom, Texas, USA

Jun 022014

Ram SLT 5.9L Cummins

This cracked dash is dangerous because of the broken plastic pieces that would become shrapnel! Dodge used an egg shell like material to make these dashes. Most Dodge owners that I know have this same problem.

- , Moultrie, GA, USA

Sep 232012

Ram

I thought I was the only one with this problem, especially since I am not one to spend a lot of time maintaining the dashboard, at one time I figured it was Mienekie personnel that had cracked my dashboard after it worked on my ac but from all the complaints posted on this problem I now believe that it is just Dodge's way of saving money and putting peoples lives at risk.

It never crossed my mind that my family's lives could be in danger because of this cracked dashboard if involved in an accident although I did worry about the airbag. All I can say is that like always it will take someone's loss of life for these greedy companies to do anything about it. Unfortunately I will probably have to replace it at such a great expense if I can not find another alternative.

- , San Marcos, TX, USA

Feb 182006

Ram 5.9L

This Dodge and many, many, many more have the same problem. Dodge is too cheap to do a recall sad to say but I think it will take a piece of plastic to come off AND hurt some and they will sue then they will finally do a recall. It would be so cheap now.

- , Phx, AZ, USA

Jul 012005

Ram Ram V6

WILL NEVER BUY A DODGE AGAIN DASHBOARD SHOULD BE REPLACED DO TO AIR BAGS

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 012006

Ram SE 5.9L

My dash is completely gone. Each week some of the dash blows away when I run the AC or the heater. First cracks and then the whole damn dash. I will be not buy another Dodge because of this crazy dash.

- , Sedalia, MO, USA

Jan 012007

Ram ST 4.7L V8

Dodge needs to replace every one of these dashboards or publicly state that they use inferior products!

Thanks to our Gov. for being right on top of this for Dodge!

How many need to become injured or die to justify recalling a product that no one would ever have bought had they known.

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Jun 122013

Ram ES 4.7L V8

I have owned several different makes and models of vehicles, the one that has been the biggest pain in the rear has been(and still is),2002 Dodge Ram1500. The dash board has all but fallen to pieces. The company should recall these vehicles as a safety issue. If they are not willing to replace the dash they should at least provide a replacement at a descent price. Has any one had there dash replace by a Dodge dealer at no charge or a reduced price?

- , Forrest City, AR, USA

Jul 012008

Ram SLT 4.7L V8

Two large cracks in dashboard as well as additional cracks in dash near windshield, Pieces of plastic are coming off and getting into heating and air conditioning system. Cheapens the look of the vehicle (purchased new in July 2002) that has only 43000 miles on it.

- , Santa Clara, CA, USA

Aug 102010

Ram LX 4.7L V8

tHE DASH IS FALLING APART IN MY LAP AND IT HAS FALLEN INTO THE VENTS AND SHATTERED TO PEICES AND NOT SAFE TO DRIVE AND MY A/C VENTS ARE NOT PUTTING OUT AIR DUE TO THIS DASH HAS FALLING TO PEICES, AND I NEED A NEW DASH FROM THE DODGE DEALERSHIP ON A RECALL, I CANT BELIEVE THIS PROBLEM OCCURED AND THAT DASH IS MADE OUT OF PLASTIC VERY CHEAP. AND I AM SHOCKED TO HEAR THAT DODGE WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THIS AS A SAFETY RECALL. ALSO ITS CAUSED ME NOT TO BE ABLE TO DRIVE MY VEHICLE AND I PAID GOOD MONEY FOR THIS TRUCK AND I AM UNABLE TO DRIVE IT WITH THIS PROBLEM AFRAID TO DRIVE IT, AS IT HAS OVER 1000 PEICES THAT HAVE BROKEN IN SHARP EDGES AND THE PEICES I HAD TO REGLUE IT TO HOLD IT BACK TO KEEP IT FROM FALLING APART COMPLETELY AND YOU CAN'T CHANGE YOUR HEATER CORE WITH OUT TAKING DASH OUT. BUT WHEN YOU DO THIS AND AFRAID TO DO IT AS IT WILL GO TO PEICES, SO THEREFORE IM NOT DRIVING THE TRUCK UNTIL I HEAR SOME THING ABOUT A RECALL TO GET THIS DAMN TRUCK FIXED AND I WIL NVER BUY ANOTHER DODGE PRODUCT AGAIN, DODGE I AM ASHAMED THAT YOU ARE MAKEING SUCH POOR QUALITY TRUCKS NOW. GOOD BYE DODGE NEVER AGAIN!!

- , Uniontown, AL, USA

Jan 012005

Ram Diesel

The dash has broke in all kinds of pieces and falling down in the dash. I am afraid it will do something to the wiring and things inside of the dash.

- , El Dorado Springs, MO, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 4.7L

My 02 Dodge Ram dash started cracking years ago. I 've tried numerous time to resolve the problem by contacting Dodge .THEY DO NOT STAND BY THEIR PRODUCT. Currently my Dodge has approx 72000. As you can see by the mileage I haven't driven the car at a normal rate. DODGE DOESN'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THIS CUSTOMER ANYMORE.....................................

- , Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jun 152012

Ram LX V6

I can't believe dodge can receive motor trend of the year, and their trucks fall apart. The dealer's just said, "well that is just the way dodge is, and if you have a new one installed it will do the same thing" So much for RAM TOUGH.

- , Venice, Fl, USA

Jun 012012

Ram SLT 5.9L

Initially I found 1 large crack on dashboard pad right above glove box - this happened all at once. In the past 2 months several smaller but significant cracks have developed on dash below windshield extending back towards interior.

I spoke with Dodge and was given the same response as everyone else with this issue

- , Pueblo, CO, USA

Sep 012012

Ram SLT 5.9L

Small crack occurred in speaker grille middle of dash board. Now have 2 more that span the width of dash board. Worried the one on the passenger side may allow for unsuspected release of airbag!

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 302012

Ram Single Cab 4.7L V8

dashboard is currently cracked in 3 places. Front and back. Truck has spent most of its life in a garage. It looks almost new except for the ugly cracked dash.

- , Colleyille, TX, USA

Feb 032013

Ram SLT 4.7L

Cracked dash, horrible ride. Leaking steering hose. Weak front end. I wish i still had my toyota truck! My bearings went out Nov 2011. Front end handles bad still after new arm bushings tie rods.. No more dodge!!!

- , Gulfport, MS, USA

Jul 012013

Ram L S 4.7L

soon after I fall in love with artic-blue, that's the truck, I bought it about 3 yrs later. I saw fine cracks appearing. went to dealership they told me that I've used armarol on it that's why it cracked. I laugh on his face and I left. now as I speak the dash board has no grill and cracked in to half right about passengers air-bag. wanna see if I can get any help from anyone

- , Hayward, CA, USA

Aug 102010

Ram LX 4.5L

I am very disgusted because I didn't pay attention to the problem when I bought it, it was cracked . I went to have the heater core put in by a friend of mine and the entire dash fell apart into many pieces. I am not buying a new dash because Dodge is responsible for a new one and they best do a recall immediately as there are many others who have complained . I will let it sit in my yard until Dodge comes up with a recall to fix it , because right now its not drivable without a dash and I don't have the money to replace the dash.

If I had known that this was a problem when I purchased it from Auto Max I would have told them but not thinking a crack like this would lead to completely shattering apart and also this is a danger for anyone to ride in this truck the way it is. I have a worthless piece of junk in my yard that i paid a lot of money for and I always loved Dodge products Not anymore, I'm going back to Ford or Chevy products the next time I purchase a truck and You best Hear that DODGE . many others are complaining so FIX THE PROBLEMS NOW before you end up in CLASS ACTION suit because these trucks should be made TOUGH..!! OWN UP TO THIS NOW,, GET THE RECALLS OUT TO THE CONSUMERS TO REGAIN YOUR REPUTATION AND FIX ALL OF THEM OR REIMBURSE US FOR THE DASHES IF THEY HAVE FIXED THEM.. SOME DON'T HAVE TO HAVE THEIR TRUCK IF THEY HAVE SOMETHING ELSE TO DRIVE, WELL I DON'T HAVE TO HAVE IT ON A DAILY BASIS BUT LIKE IT WHEN I NEED IT TO HAUL SOMETHING,, SO I WILL LET IT SIT,, COME ON DODGE,, LETS GET THIS FIXED TODAY!! THANK YOU AND HOPE YOU ARE READING THESE POSTS.

- , Uniontown, AL, USA

May 012009

Ram SLT 4.7L V8

I am not one usually to complain, but from reading all the people who have this similar problem, I've decided to give my 2 cents worth. When my dash started cracking it was just an inconvenience, at first, so I covered it with a Dash Mat. Just the other day I looked underneath the mat and saw that the dash now has many cracks and one so large above the gauges that if it reaches another crack, I will have a big hole in the middle of my dash! (6 in by 8 in). Also, I was checking to see if I had a speaker in one of the small round ports on the drivers side, and put a finger on it and the whole plastic mesh screen fell through! Still haven't found it!

- , Roseville, CA, USA