8.4

2. dodge should repair the cracked dash (14 reports)
  3. replace the dash (5 reports)
  4. replace it with carbon fiber dash (3 reports)
  5. remove and replace (2 reports)
  6. bondo fiberglass body filler (1 reports)
1997 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Dodge Ram 1500:

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jul 122008

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 4WD Extended Cab SB 5.9L 360ci

First 10 years, I knew we could buy an American made Truck that is Tuff! My biggest #1 issue is this dash issue... I cant see why anyone would be proud of its creation. Look most Dodge truck drivers have driven them hard. I do not know why Dodge still has not resolved this issue... People are driving trucks with dashes shattered and if rolled down at highway speeds, run the risk of having a chunk flying off and hitting a passenger or worse the driver... At least start making available to us Dodge truck owners some financial help with designing and installing a new dash.. Change the composite material!!! Clearly Dodge has know of this defect for at least 15years and has not provided customer support to our satisfaction.... Customer's make a company!! Lose them by simply ignoring the issue and you will eventually loose the company.. You need to care, because there will be no more government bailouts!!!! Your customers, a.k.a. (Government) that you are not work toward an agreeable solution with,, will help you no further.. Don't run the risk of sending your customers and their money to competition...

Customer? or not

- , Humble, TX, USA

Jul 071997

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

i too had the infamous shattering Dodge Ram 1500 dash. Heard that the issue was the dashboard being tightened by the windsheild. Apparently they should float on a rubber spacer. Anyway, the thing cracked all to hell, so I bought some fiberglass bondo filler, and filled all the cracks. Applied some brown paper bags over the filler, and rubbed it smooth. After it dried, I pulled the paper off, and covered the whole thing with a dashmat.

I am so against manufacturers using plastic to simulate a padded dash...

- , Round Lake, IL, USA

Aug 312008

Ram 1500

I was driving down the road one day and my dashboard made a loud pop & cracked straight down the middle. That was just the beginning. Since then, numerous other cracks have appeared all across the dashboard. I have had numerous other issues as well, including several electrical problems. I have also had a throttle problem where something was jamming the gas pedal, which only allowed me to use about half throttle. I believe this was a piece that had fallen from the dash, but not 100% sure.

- , Springdale, AR, USA

Feb 012010

Ram 1500 V8 5.2L

1The dash (plastic) cracked top to bottom.It crackles and pops driving. Looks terrible.I purchased the Truck used and contacted the original owner,He provided the dash was cracked when he traded truck. 2: The ignition at times fails to start truck. the switch turns normal. the lights on dash are on but something from switch to starter fails at times.3 The paint on hood and cab top oxidized, obvious no clear coat applied when factory painted.seen several same model has oxidized 4.headlamps the plastic housing clear lens tarnished lighting is a danger have no width or forward view. 4The overhead interior split.I love this model style but dodge really did faulty assembly on these model year.the prior owner said the outside finish he contacted dodge for repairs which time warranty was in affect. he was denied.I think these issues should had been resolved it is assemble issues.that they refused to correct.

- , Greeneville, TN, USA

Nov 112009

Ram 1500 SE 5.7L

I just wanted to submit this on behalf of my Father whose dash is cracked and caving in on a 1997 Dodge Ram. It started doing it years ago and is only getting worse. The only saving grace is that he's applied duct tape to keep pieces from further collapsing and damaging the wiring under the dash. There won't be much dash left in order to put a cap on it. Dodge, at the very least, needs to make available a replacement dash that is of better quality and offer it at cost to original owners. Preferably Dodge should replace them for no charge as a safety recall but that's just not going to happen.

- , Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Apr 062010

Ram 1500 LX 5.9L

I have to agree, I bought a 97 Dodge Ram new from the dealer. Babied the hell out of it and it cost me a fortune, paint peeling, cracked dash, A/C evaporator -twice, rear end - twice, man I could just go on an on – biggest lemon I have ever owned and I've been divorced twice.

- , League City, TX, USA

Aug 181999

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

I've had 3 dodge 1500 all dash cracked,need to be repaired by dodge

- , Pineland, SC, USA

Dec 012009

Ram 1500 1500 3.9L V6

Well im not sure if this will help anyone out there but ive got a 1995 ram 1500 (shortbox) with 368,000 plus kilometers ( approx 228,000 miles) and my dash has absolutely zero cracks or holes in it...my truck has had a rough life and ive not been easy on her either. i bought it a year ago for 500 bucks and ive even pounded on the dash out of road rage and nothing happened...except i had a minor ache in my hand any way. besides that, i reguarly go to the scrapyard to find the odd part for the truck and my other car, and ive NEVER EVER saw ANY dodge trucks with smashed dashes! ive seen literally dozens of examples. also ive had two different freinds who have owned similar 1997 and 1998 models and theyve had no problems either. it just doesnt happen here!

perhaps they used a different grade of plastic in the factories that distributed trucks in canada or the climate here doesnt have the same humidity to harm and dry out the plastic, but if you want a replacement dash, source one out from here in canada, cause theyre are lots in great shape to be had! CHEERS!

- , Edmonton, AB, Canada

Oct 012009

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

Would like to get the crack in the dash fixed. I have never had a problem with this before on any vehicle I have owned

- , Redding, CA, USA

Oct 122005

I have A Dodge 1997 Ram 1500 I love my Truck but the DASH is aaa CRACK

- , Clermont, FL, USA

Feb 102009

Ram 1500 Sport 9.7L

Looks like there are way to many complaints about cracking dashboards. From late 90s to current. And you can't even buy a new dash after market to fix it with. Just a quick fix by putting a cover over it. Sad Sad Sad

- , Nashville, IL, USA

Oct 152008

Ram 1500

The last time I was at Whataburger I pulled out the cupholder and a 5"x5" square of dash fell threw and now there a big hole in the dashboard of my 1997 Dodge Ram. A piece of the dash also cracked behind the cupholder bracket so now the cupholder shakes while I drive. The whole things pretty much cracked to sh*t and now I just hide it under a DashMat.

- , Weslaco, TX, USA

Jun 112008

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

I really love my truck. Mechanically it has been very good to me. But, appearance wise the truck really sucks. My dash has completely broken up. seems to be returning to the earth a little early. I tried to pull some of the pieces out and it ended up cutting the crap out of me. I thought i was the only one with this problem. Not only the dash but the exterior paint is bad. paint is fading and peeling. had the same problem on dodge caravan. have not noticed this problem on other makes such as ford. What is dodge going to do about it?

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 082001

Ram 1500 SE

This car is not driven much and is shielded from the Sun. We have had much older cars that have never had a cracked dash!

- , Spanish Fort, AL, USA

Oct 102007

Ram 1500 Slt Laramie 5.9L V8

When I purchased the truck it was in great shape with hardly a scratch on it. I purchased the truck from the original owner who happened to be on disability. The reason I mention this is because the guy had nothing better to do then to baby this truck. I mean this truck never saw dirt. Don't get me wrong, the truck is still babied and is still in great shape except the DAMN DASH!!!

When I first bought the truck it had a very minor crack in the dash that I felt I could live with. Since I have owned the truck it seems like the damn thing just keeps falling apart. I can't give any reason why but it just keeps getting worse. Maybe its the weather. I have noticed that from the temp outside going from warm to freezing it has gotten a lot worse. It's really pissing me off! Its a real embarrassment, anytime I hit even the smallest of a bump it sounds like my truck is going to fall apart. I have looked everywhere for a new dash and just can't seem to find one.(Its probably because there aren't any unbroken dashes out there). The truck is a great truck and well built, so why in the hell would Dodge put such a crappy dash in? YOU CHEAP BASTARDS! If anyone knows where to find a new dash without being screwed by Dodge please let me know.

P.S

There was no negligence on anyone's part that would have lead to the dash falling apart!!

- , Dayton, TN, USA

Jan 142009

Ram 1500 SLT Larmime 1500 5.9L V8

I bought this truck to drive to work everyday, and take to truck shows. But this damn P.O.S. plastic dash cracked, my nice dressed up truck look more like a big P.O.S. that should just be parked on some pig farm and used to haul trash around. Thanks to dodge and their wonderful design on the inside of these trucks, now everyone has big time problems with their dashes. I'm embarrassed to take anyone with me because my whole dash squeaks and rattles. My one friend ask me if I punched my dash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is pathetic I have a 1985 ford mustang with no cracks in its dash and it's been outside forever, never seeing a garage unless I was working on it!

COME ON DODGE GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR A$$! THIS SHOULDN'T HAVE TO BE OUR PROBLEM. YOU SHOULD PAY FOR THE WHOLE THING, NOT JUST HALF. ALL I WANT IS MY TRUCK TO LOOK NICE, NOT LOOK LIKE A JUNK YARD SPECIAL. I PAID TO MUCH TO HAVE A TRUCK THAT LOOKS LIKE A PILE OF SH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Birdsboro, PA, USA

Aug 012007

Ram 1500 SS/T 5.9L V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

'97 Dodge Ram SS/T Bought brand new.

Cracks first appeared about 2 years ago. Was showing a friend the cracks and pushed down on one with just a little pressure and busted a hole right through the top. Needless to say I was pissed. I came home to do a search for a replacement and found all the complaints on this same problem. Now I am more furious to know that this is a problem that many others are experiencing and Chrysler has no plans to do anything about it. Fan-friggin-tastic.

- , Camden, AR, USA

Mar 112002

Ram 1500 1500 5.2L

When I bought my 97 Dodge ram, it had one small crack on a corner of the dash. I said to my self " Thats not too bad, I can live with that" Now don't laugh, I did not know about the reputation at this point in time. I have read all the gripes you all have put in and realized that I made a mistake buying a dodge ram. You may say, that doesn't make or break a truck? but if you pamper your vehicles as I do, and realize that this is virtually a non replaceable part. It becomes very disappointing. Chrysler has lost me as customer.

- , North Miami Bch, FL, USA

Nov 012007

Ram 1500 318

The dash on my truck has been cracking apart. I set a book on the dash and a 6 inch piece of the dash fell in. The glove box hinges broke at the plastic. The drive train has been great but the interior looks like a junker.

- , Indian Harbour Beach, FL, USA

Mar 282008

Ram 1500 1500 318 V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I AM 64 YEARS OLD LOVE MY DODGE TRUCK BUT AM REALLY UPSET ABOUT THIS.

I'M ON A FIXED INCOME CAN NOT AFFORD TO BUY A NEW DASH.

I ALWAYS KEEP MY TRUCK CLEAN AND IN GOOD SHAPE PEOPLE TELL ME IT LOOKS LIKE NEW SO THIS DASH MAKES IT LOOK BAD. SURE WISH DODGE WOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS. NO SENSE IN A DASH DOING THIS.

- , Vicksburg, MS, USA