1. replace the dash (6 reports)
1997 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Dodge Ram 1500:

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Jan 012003

Ram 1500 3.9L V6

click to see larger images

dashboard shattered dashboard shattered

Why should I buy another Dodge? This problem is annoying because every time I park somewhere I have to cover the dashboard. I though it was just me until today. I was searching the internet about another problem that I have with the truck and found other complainants about the dashboard. I have to fix the heater core and I don't want to buy a dashboard because the dashboard would come apart in pieces and have to be replaced.

I am mad about my Dodge because there are other issues that are just bad and you think you are the only one. My paint job is bad and I had to replace the Catalytic Converter 7 times. Why?

- , Simi Valley, CA, USA

Jun 292013

Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L V8

I see that not only I have had an issue with the dashboard failing in a major way. My dashboard was in great shape and the truck is a 4x4 w/ a 6" lift w/ 33's on it. The truck has seen its share of mud trails, OHV trails etc., w/o 1 problem inside or out. Until a month or so ago driving over to see a friend of mine I hit a dip in the street and CRACK! The dashboard shattered into 15 pieces or so and left me stunned. Was questioning WTF is this all about and started checking into what had happened. I see that Dodge trucks built from 1994 up to 1999 or so have failures with their dashboards and it being the number one complaint from Dodge truck owners, and even with all the listed complaints which are nurmous, Dodge has turned a deaf ear to a recall for the failures. So I will tell the readers on this site how I plan to handle the deaf ear that I was given when I called Dodge and asked what caused this problem. I was told due to my truck being a 4x4 that in time the dash woud weaken and break apart, "its normal for that to happen to a truck that goes off road." WHAT A LINE OF S*** THAT IS! I have friends that own Chevys and Fords and their truck dashboards havent shaddered into 15 pieces while driving down a street. My plan to handle their deaf ear to my problem is simple: I run a towing company that owns several Dodge trucks w/ flatbeds for towing and had planned to buy 10 more this year. Now the owners and myself are looking at Chevy and Ford chassis and will starting tomorrow list the Dodge trucks for sale. I refuse to invest the amount of money that would be spent buying and maintaining those new trucks when Dodge treats people like myself as trash and cant recall a known failure in my personel truck. How do I know Dodge wont warranty one of the new trucks I was to buy? Towing cars is our business and if I have one truck down that Dodge wont warranty for what ever reason they choose, our company loses money. So I plan to replace the broken dashboard and sell my Dodge for one reason: If a simple failure like a dash replacement recall is something Dodge wont due what else may they decide to not cover? Think about that.

- , Apple Valley, CA, USA

Aug 012008

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

Waiting to be put down for recall. Every 97 dodge ram i've come across dashboard

is cracked or destroyed. This problem didn't start in 98 it started 1 to 2 years early.

This is a classic problem with dodge not standing by there product.

- , Katy, TX, USA

May 301999

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L

I see I'm in good company in here!! This problem has been going on for sooo long now it's absurd!! I would love to see Dodge go under!! EVERY attempt to get a replacement dash (not one of the damn covers that are RTV'd on) has met with a big $ sign!! I CANNOT BELIEVE SOMEONE HAS NOT SUED THEM BY NOW!!!

Update from Jun 18, 2010: All these forums are good for putting the issue out there, but we should all hit this site and log the complaints:

These are the people that can investigate and do something about it!! Make sure you have your VIN ready, they do request that. If EVERYONE that posted on this site went there...there would definately be in investigation on this!!

- , New Castle, DE, USA

May 012009

Ram 1500 5.9lV8

Dodge needs to recall these or reman replacements I know of numerous other Dodge owners who have the same issue.

- , Kodak, TN, USA

Aug 262005

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

the dash just keeps getting worse. it will cost about $2,000 to replace it. i can not put a cover on it because it is shattered, so there is nothing to glue to.

- , Columbus, MS, USA

Sep 172008

Ram 1500 1500 5.2lV8

you know i have had as much if not more problems with the dodges i have owned you know it is sad that you pay as much as you do and you cant get in the damn truck and drive it with out something going bad or the transmission going out and know the interior holy sh*t you have got to be kidding me you can touch the mother f*ckers with out braking all the plastic in then the dash im not even going there couse my truck don't seem to have a dash top anymore because it has shattered in to many peaces to count what the hell is this did we have a bunch of drunks make these trucks or what,sh*t i say that dodge should give us half back of what we paid for these trucks to cover the cost of what we have had to put in the rolling sh*t cans that dodge everythang but a parts house or a dealer

- , Lake City, FL, USA

May 062007

Ram 1500 5.3

I have noticed that this is a common problem with Dodge trucks and Dodge should Fix this. The dash boards are a problem that is not problems in other makes.

- , Fort White, FL, USA

May 132007

Ram 1500 5.3

The dash in my 97 dodge had broken and came apart and it is a common problem with dodges up to the 2002 model. Dodge needs to fix the dashes. They have replaced some for as little as $100.00

- , Fort White, FL, USA

Feb 022000

Ram 1500 1500 Laramie 5.2L V8

Dodge needs to be pestered about a recall for their dash problems. All their plastic in their trucks is garbage. Everything plastic is breaking. It IS a safety issue. A hunk of dash fell in while I was driving. Not only did it scare the sh*t out of me, but it got wedged up in and shorted out my dash lights. Who the piss do I write to to get something done about this???

- , Port Orange, FL, USA

Jun 282007

Ram 1500 SLT 360 V8 Magimum

I went in to work and came out to find my dashboard shattered into several pieces.I have owned this truck since it was new and this is not the first problem with it transmission went out at less than 40,000 miles to.and waserbuilt by dodge then when the warranty expired the frount seal on the tranny started leaking and reverse takes forever to ingauge there are still to many things that were fixed by the dodge people but need fixed again and I dont think I should be the one to pay for sorry workmanship no matter howmany miles I have on my truck which is the dashboard etc.

- , Benton, AR, USA