7.5

$2,000.00

1. will have to be repainted (5 reports)
1997 Dodge Ram 1500 body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Dodge Ram 1500:

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Jan 012004

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.2L V8

All paint on hood and roof began peeling and lifting up. Entire roof and hood repainted at my own expense. Now the top part of the door frames are peeling/pitting also. This problem began when the truck was only about 7 years old and became progressively worse.

- , Califon, NJ, USA

Aug 012010

Ram 1500 SLT V8

the paint is peeling off in big sections and rusting underneath. the truck is white and when it rains, white residue runs from the top the cab and covers the windows.

- , Diboll, TX, USA

Feb 102009

Ram 1500 Laramie St 5.9L V8

Can't believe a 40,000.00 plus truck has faded paint and a dash that has cracked in so many places that it rattles and vibrates like a piece of crap. I love my ram but this is absurd.Please help me clear these problems up. Thanks, Tom Callahan

- , Whiteville, NC, USA

Nov 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L V8

I have owned this truck since 2000 and like other owners have kept it spotless had it cleaned top to bottom and waxed with Mothers top end wax and the start of every season had it professionally detailed at the same Auto body. Last November 2009 I noticed paint bubbling on all 4 fender wheel arches, bottom of doors, rocker panels, and back bottom corner panel of ext. cab. I noticed that most complaints are dealing with trucks newer than mine but it shows how long this has been an issue. With these rust issues I feel like I am driving a Ford from there rust bucket days. I see that some of the owners are in the auto body industry. What if it would be better to replace the fenders with a fiberglass fenders or carbon fiber fenders better for durability? If these don’t exist it might be worth making the patterns to make these parts, I worked in the aeronautics industry and we would make patterns for helicopter and airplane parts, then make the parts from carbon fiber.

- , Jackson, MI, USA

Feb 012008

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L V8

I have 97 Ram 1500 and it looks like hell. Every body i talk to with this truck has the same problem,all the clear coat is coming off the hood and roof , Did dodge ever do anything about this problem,because i really like my truck but it looks like sh;'''.Can any buddy tell if they fix the problem

- , pennsylvania, PA, USA

Dec 162008

Ram 1500 Laramie

I don't get it. I trusted Dodge with my money and bought the truck. I can't recall seeing a Dodge this model in which the paint is not peeling and the dashboard is not shattered. This a factory defect and dodge should do something about it, regardless of age. My truck has never been abused and in 230000 miles, there is not one single dent. This should be testimony enough for Dodge products and how much they care about you and me. 2 engines, two transmissions, 2nd rear end is now going out, replaced the cupholder twice. Although rarely used, most of 4 wheel drive system has been replaced. Built in Mexico, what should one expect. I see a lot of vehicles older than mine and this crap isn't happening to them.

- , Haskell, TX, USA

Jun 141999

Ram 1500 Laracrap 5.2L V8

The truck runs great, and I couldn't get stuck if I tried. The cracking bullsh.. is definitely a kick in the jewels and my paint is peeling on the hood and roof. My ram looks like a rotten cracking mess. Dodge needs to fix this sh.. They have plenty of money. This is clearly a factory/manufacturing defect. None of us should have to pay sh.. Does anyone know how to put the boot in dodges a$$ and get this poor craftsmanship fixed.......

- , Wilmington, DE, USA

Oct 122002

Ram 1500 Mark 4 1500 5.9L

Please email me if there is a $200.00 dollar check that is being given to owners. The paint if peeling off my hood!

- , Pahrump, NV, USA