8.4

1. dodge should recall the dash (48 reports)
  3. new one (10 reports)
  4. replace dashboard (10 reports)
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Dodge Ram 1500:

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Feb 012017

Ram 1500 Lariet 318 V8

I know this is a major problems for Ram owners. The broken dash pieces have fallen on the defroster and the fan blows them back out. The small pieces will hit me in the face when driving. This is a very dangerous situation. This should be addressed by the safety council for recall.

- , Stockton, US

Jan 012014

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.9L

This vehicle was purchased brand new. It has always been garaged kept and when used, sun shades where always used to protect the interior and the dash. This vehicle has been on a routine maintenance program including washing and cleaning of the interior. The dash and other plastic components have been wiped down routinely with Armorall and/or Son of A Gun to preserve the integrity of all the plastic INCLUDING the dash. I think Dodge should own up to the fact that their dash cover component was inferior to start with and should make a replacement available for this vehicle and any other year vehicle. After all, we put our faith in their product when myself and others purchased it!!

- , Blairsville, US

Dec 012016

Ram 1500 Laramie 360

ME and ALL 1998 Pick Up owners have the same complaint, YOU CHANGED THE MATERIAL TO JUNK FROM 95-98. WHY? THEY STINK! I WILL NEVER BUY A DODGE AGAIN! And will be sure, DAMN SURE the world will know what kind of CRAP Dodge sells the public! Although I think the word is out, I just didn't check before the purchase replacing the heater-core. I'm sure you've heard it MANY TIMES BEFORE!!! I tried to fix but the more I did, the more it FELL APART! PURE JUNK, HORRIBLE etc, etc,!!!

- , Lovington, NM, USA

Jan 082014

Ram 1500 LE 5.9L V8

Everyone I've talked to has the same problem with their dash. I do not have the money to replace it and may have to get another vehicle due to it being a safety issue and not passing a mandatory state inspection. Which I really don't have the money for. I think Dodge should be fully responsible for the replacement of the dash and all related cost.

- , Scranton, PA, USA

Nov 282015

Ram 1500

The dash was slightly cracked already, but around the end of November, the whole thing basically spontaneously shattered.

- , Linden, TX, USA

May 132016

Ram 1500 5.9L

My dash is falling apart. I cannot afford to fix it. If Dodge knew of this problem, why didn't they recall and fix it?

- , Modesto, CA, USA

Jun 082005

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I have skewered salvage yards, for a replacement dash and all rams I have found have same cracking of the dash. this doesn't seem to be an isolated issue. I think dodge should stand up for its their faithful customers and replace these poor quality originals with the quality parts they constantly claim they manufacture.

- , Hartsville, TN, USA

Jun 012006

Ram 1500 SLT 360

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard

It's a faulty part, the dash is cracked is five different places...So fix the sombeech Dodge!!

- , Stevens Point, WI, USA

Dec 012013

Ram 1500 Plain 3.2L V6

You buy a truck taking care for many years cleaning and so forth. You don't expect your dash to crack when it is kept in your carport most of the time. The dash cracked from the windshield to the inside edge over the radio. It has demised the value of the truck. After reading about more dash problems on the internet and that Dodge knew about the problem and did nothing to fix or offer any sort of help I found this site and am joining other with my complaints. It is time for consumer's to starting standing up and letting the world know about these type of problems.

- , Pontotoc, MS, USA

Dec 212000

Ram 1500 3.9L

The dash is trash. I tried to remove the dash to replace the heater core, now all I have is a pile of broken rotted plastic, no dash at all now. I have never seen another American made vehicle with such a cheap built dash.

- , Somerville, AL, USA

Dec 092010

Ram 1500 ST 5.2L

I am so pissed that 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 made a sh*tty dashboard! Like serious why y'all made a dashboard out of a sh*tty f*cking material. No cup holder. Dashboard completely gone. To order a brand new dashboard is $200-400 dollars. That is crazy! Y'all out of your damn mind. Just put it this way, would y'all buy a $200-400 dashboard??

- , Jacksonville, FL, US

Jan 012013

Ram 1500 Sport 360

Purchased my 1998 Ram Sport 4x4 for my 50th birthday. This is the last vehicle I plan on buying. Now it looks like sh*t because the dash is cracked in four or five places, makes noises, and is falling apart. After spending 40K for this truck I think Dodge should fix the problem.

- , Lompoc, CA, US

Jul 152007

Ram 1500 SLR V8

A few years ago my plastic dash board blow out and cracked. A large piece apparently fell into the dash....never found the piece that disappeared????

- , Tyler, TX, USA

Mar 102003

Ram 1500 LS 5.2L V8

Tried to repair first crack but to no avail. Pisses me off that my wife worked so hard to pay for this and Dodge is ignoring not only me, but others also.

- , Lithia Springs, GA, USA

Jan 172002

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

The dash cracked before the warranty ran out. It was made out of faulty material and it is almost dissolved. If it were not for the dash cover we have had to put on it, we would have pieces flying everywhere. For the price we paid for the truck, we should not have to put up with this.

I know of several people that have the same problem . I feel like there should be a recall on this. The plastic that was used on all the dash is bad stuff. The plastic around the knobs for the lights and a/c is bad also. I think it is pretty bad that the Ford Motor Co did a recall for the same thing and took responsibility for their defective parts, but Dodge can't own up to their mistakes.

- , Gatesville, TX, USA

Jul 082009

Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 360 Cu In

Have seen other 98 Rams with the same cracks. I kept it clean and protected from u/v and other rays with a windshield shade and chemical protectors. It has cracked again and I'm just tired of looking at it so I'll replace it. Also, I replaced the transmission with a Jasper at about 67,000 (2007). I was pulling my boat....less than 3500 lbs when the transmission clutches began deteriorating. The Jasper has served me well since then. Now 143,000 miles

- , Waterford, CT, USA

Jun 152014

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9L V8

As an owner this is horrible and shows poor workmanship and Q/A. As an Emergency Medical Tech. I can see the sharp plastic shards causing serious injuries even with a "low speed" impact let alone if the air bags deploy and send the chunks at you at over 500 feet per second. I can remember Chrysler recalling dashes back in the late 80's and early 90's on the "K" cars they had metal dashes, I feel these plastic dashes are an even bigger danger, I am surprised they haven't killed someone yet. well maybe they have but at this point I am not aware of any.

- , Horton, KS, USA

Mar 012013

Ram 1500 5.2L

when i bought the truck it had a few cracks in the dash. I packed them with glue or tried to as much as I could. Over the past 2 years, big pieces started falling in. I had big hole in the dash until last week when I touched the side of the dash, one piece of plastic cut my finger. As I felt around on the dash, it started crumbling all over. I had to remove most of it because the tiny pieces were flying in the air when I drove with the windows down. It will cost 400 dollars to have one ordered and shipped to my home. I will still have to pay someone to put it in, because I don't want to mess anything up. I see a lot of Dodge truck with dash problems but I feel mine is the worse.

- , Memphis, TN, US

Jun 012008

Ram 1500 V8

My truck is my pride & joy. I am really peeved that my dash is sooooo disgusting. It is embarrassing for someone to get in my truck....nice clean, nice seats and then have to see THAT dash caved in. My granddaughter cut her finger on the edge of it. Many times I have hit a bump in the road and heard a piece drop. I was told that Dodge was sending out a recall to replace them....I AM STILL WAITING,,,,,

- , Howe, TX, USA

Jul 122011

Ram 1500 4.9L

My 1998 dodge truck dash is cracking more and more each day. It started about four years ago with a small crack, but now it has cracks everywhere. What bugs me is Dodge knows they have a problem yet they are not willing to step up and take care of it.They are loaded with excuses for why they can't fix it for you, ie the vehicle is too old, the mileage too high, out of warranty and any number of excuses. But what they can't explain is why they keep producing a product that's guaranteed to fail. I went to my local dealership (where I purchased the vehicle) for help. They said they knew of the problem and gave me a customer care number to call. What a waste of time! I had about the same conversation with the representative as I did my dealership: we have your money, now you have the problem. What"s odd about this? I went on the internet and typed in "cracked dash" and it automatically pulled up Dodge trucks. Will I buy another product from Dodge? Not after what I have been through today.

- , Morganton, NC, Wake Island