1998 Dodge Ram 1500 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Dodge Ram 1500:

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Jul 222013

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

Lucas kept the problem at bay for 6 mos, but with really hot weather the transmission finally gave out. I had to shift back and forth from drive to neutral to get the truck to kick into gear. I drove it to a dealer and traded it in for a new truck. Got $1300 for my trade in. (I'd already tried draining the trans oil and added another bottle of Lucas, but that didn't fix the problem enough to get better performance.) Rode great to the dealer once it dropped into overdrive and got up to speed. I couldn't set to cruise though, because there were times the tranny would try to give more power going up a hill and that would cause the clutch to slip and the rpm's rev dangerously high. Was glad to be done with the mess.

- , Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Aug 012012

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

When the tranny tries to shift into second gear it won't. My "redneck" fix is just to drop it into neutral rev the engine, then throw it back into drive eventually it shifts. I don't know what's wrong though. There is also a wire hanging from around the transmission. Not sure what it is

- , Alda, NE, USA

Apr 091999

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.2L V8

Just want to toss in my $.02 on the tranny thread. My transmission has always worked well, but there has always been a slight slip between 1st and 2nd, and sometimes between 2nd and 3rd. I have the tranny serviced regularly, but the slip stays with the tranny. It's more of a slight annoyance than any other thing, but I did want to mention it FWIW.

Also, the rear main oil seal (engine) leaks slightly - I'm told that this is typical of the 5.2L engine, and that replacing the seal really doesn't help. So I just make sure to keep an eye on the oil level.

- , Baton Rouge, LA, USA