8.8

2. replace with new dashboard (58 reports)
  3. should be a recall (34 reports)
  4. replace with better quality after market dashboard (22 reports)
  5. epoxy and a dash cover (7 reports)
  6. filed a complaint with. www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov (6 reports)
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Ram 1500:

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 11)

Jul 052011

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L - V8

Cracked dash was definitely a bummer. Managed to find a new one of better material to restore the dash to like new. Plan on giving to my son after some restoration/upgrades are completed.

- , Saint Augustine, FL, USA

Jul 142010

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

The dashboard is in pieces. It can be put in a box like a puzzle. Tried gluing it back

with super glue but to no avail. Its embarrassing and the dash is exposed to all the

heat from inside the car, and dust.

- , Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Apr 222011

Ram 1500 3.2L V6

It is a shame that we can not make a auto that the plastic doesn't crack, having broken pieces hit you while you are driving. If the plastic is faulty then it should be fixed by the company not the owner. I could have lost an eye or worse yet is that it could have hit my grandson and blinded him or worse.

- , Conroe, TX, USA

Jun 102008

Ram 1500 LX 318

The dash cracked no big deal, then it keep cracking now big chunks are falling out, they come through the dash pop out fly through the inside. I have checked on replacement dashes the cost is excessive $445-$550, a glue on dash cap while probably the best solution I am not sure it will stay or if it would hold the loose pieces. If this is the best automakers can do they deserve to go out. REALLY PISSED ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!!!

- , Paris, AR, USA

Jun 082010

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

The dash (plastic) cracked top to bottom.It crackles and pops driving. I have to agree, I bought a 99 Dodge Ram new from the dealer. Babied the hell out of it and it cost me a fortune cracked dash, A/C twice, rear end 2 times, man I could just go on , biggest lemon I have ever owned

- , Lake Elsinore, CA, USA

Oct 102007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

This dash is total junk, it is cracked all over the top of the dash by the windshield.

- , Cusseta, GA, USA

Sep 122004

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

click to see larger images

dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked

My Dodge Ram's dash began to show signs of cracking around 6yrs ago. Now it is just caving in and falling apart to the point I'm scared of airbag failure. My Dodge has always been babied tinted side windows, sun screen, parked in a garage, and armor-alled. I thought i was alone with this problem until I did a Google search and found there are thousands of us almost all with the same year 1999 Dodge Ram 1500. If they can take my money for a bail-out they can afford this to make this right, do I hear the chant RECALL, RECALL.

- , Mountain View, OK, USA

Mar 182009

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

Started small, and grew into more cracks in weeks. I tried to fix it, and new cracks developed.

- , Arilington Heights, IL, USA

Feb 172011

Ram 1500 V6

Such poor materials for such a nice truck. It is a shame that this has not been recalled and repaired long before now, the internet has thousands of complaints about this problem.. Does anyone listen anymore about poor workmanship and materials?? What a shame.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 242010

Ram 1500 Sport 360

the dash started with a small crack on the passenger side .then a new one has appeared in the center of the dash much more and the dash will fall out on the floor . dodge needs to start a recall on this because this all started with the truck siting in the driveway because i have a company truck to drive . this truck may not move for months at a time

- , Oreana, IL, USA

Feb 022010

Ram 1500 V8

We are Dodge people, but seriously thinking about switching when this problem came up. Was planning on keeping it for the duration, because I love to drive it and it has been a good truck. Who would have thought it would start falling apart on the inside!!! It is on it's way to having no dashboard!! It breaks more everytime we drive it, not counting all the squeaks, noises and cracking it makes!! Dodge should have a recall on this!!!

- , Benton City, WA, USA

Dec 282010

Ram 1500 Magnum 5.2L V8

Well, the Dash Cap cover developed a couple of major cracks. I tried to epoxy the dash board cap twice and it seemed that the fix turned into more cracks while starting to paste the last cracks. I decided to take the Dashtop cover off and then presto the whole thing disintegrated into about 15 pieces. I took it out and managed to put the biggest pieces together. Finding the right epoxy was tough, I finally came to the conclusion that I may have to Bondo it all. Maybe that will hold it together.

I thought I had a singular experience, but judging from the complaints I have read eases some of the bad thoughts I was having about myself in not noticing the first crack and immediately gluing it. I think it would have turned out the same because of the cheap materials used in the fabrication of the part.

- , Harker Heights, TX, USA

Feb 042011

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L V8

Dashboard is severely cracked and in pieces and passenger airbag housing is coming detached because of the cracked dashboard. Spoke with Dodge and filed a complaint regarding this issue. Dodge asked what should we do. Told them to replace the dash with no cost to the customer. Their reply was that the vehicle is more than 10 years old. I told Dodge that the vehicle is in "mint condition" besides the dash, I have owned older vehicles from different manufactures and never had a dashboard crack and fall into pieces. This dash on this vehicle is "poor" and not quality workmanship and should be replaced with no out of pocket costs to the customer. The rep stated that someone should be contacting me regarding this issue. I will wait and see. But not going to hold my breath on this one. I have seen a lot of complaints regarding this over the internet. This is a known issue and actions needs to be taken.

- , Sun Prairie, WI, USA

Feb 042011

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L V8

Update from Feb 10, 2011: Dodge contacted me yesterday and need to take the vehicle into the local dealership to verify that the dash is cracked and in pieces. I will be taking the vehicle in today. I hope that Dodge does replace the dash at no cost. If so, I will continue to be a Dodge fan. If not, I have found a great fix for the dash and will give it a try. I will continue to update on this issue until it is resolved.

- , Sun Prairie, WI, USA

Nov 262010

Ram 1500 LS

My dash is piece of junk. If Dodge does not want to fix it then this will be my last Dodge....Anybody know if there was a recall. My #330.401.7864

- , Dennison, OH, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 5.9L

once the dash developed a small crack, it only took about a couple of months for it to bust into a hundred pieces. also, all the other plastic interior components are made out the same type plastic as the dash and are just as brittle and falling apart.

- , Arlington, TX, USA

Dec 242004

Ram 1500 small v8

Told it was cracked when dealer fixed heater core...but got much worst. Now chunks falling off...ugly! Fix it!

- , Owasso, OK, USA

Aug 142010

Ram 1500 XLT 318

My dash started with a small crack back in august and while I was Christmas shopping in december a HOLE fell through over the glove compartment. It is such an embarrassing spot that I keep my gloves over it so people cant see. I have always loved my dodge truck and would tell people to buy one but not now. After reading that so many others have had the same problem I dont know why the company hasn't recalled the dashes and fixed this. One of my co-workers husband and daughter have 99 dodge rams and they have the same problem. I came to this site really thinking that it must be a recalled to be disappointed. I am a teacher and live on a monthly income and cant afford the cost of fixing this problem and insurance doesn't cover. I am afraid that the whole dash will cave in and then what do I do? I can not believe that the dodge company hasn't done something to help people fix their dash with so many having the problem. After this now my headliner is loose from the windshield and I can put my finger between the windshield and the top. I am sooooooo sad that after 160,000 miles my truck is falling apart inside after trying to take good care of it.I would have to agree with my husband(whose dash and headliner is still in tact after 210,000 miles) and go with GMC.

- , Bradyville, TN, USA

Jun 142006

Ram 1500 6 cyl

For an 11 yr old truck it still looks and runs pretty darn good. It's all good except for the dashboard which is literally falling apart. Huge chunks have caved in. I covered it with a dash cover but now the cover is conforming to the holes. It looks bad. I was thinking of buying a new Dodge but now that I've learned that it is a widespread problem and Dodge is doing nothing to fix the problem, I think I'll head over to the Ford dealership.

- , LasVegas, NV, USA

Mar 102006

Ram 1500

The dash started cracking years ago and continues to this day. Now, there are big chunks falling off and it's totally a joke! I just sold a 1997 Honda Civic and the dash is still in tact. It's pretty clear that is is a workmanship issue that should be recalled!!

- , Garden Grove, CA, USA