8.8

2. replace with new dashboard (58 reports)
  3. should be a recall (34 reports)
  4. replace with better quality after market dashboard (22 reports)
  5. epoxy and a dash cover (7 reports)
  6. filed a complaint with. www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov (6 reports)
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Ram 1500:

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 11)

Nov 222008

Ram 1500 5.2L

dashboard totally broken, split, cracked. in chunks loose. great truck except for dash

- , Reading, PA, USA

Nov 072010

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9

Well guess I'm with all the rest of you. I blamed my wife as she had hit another car a while back but after reading this, guess I owe her an apology. The whole top has caved in on the dash and it has a least 5 other cracks. I love this truck and was going to give it to my son (16) but he won't want this in the condition it is in.

- , Powder Springs, GA, USA

Dec 012004

Ram 1500 V-8

It first started with a crack.We were very careful with it.Then it had just fell all the way out.I think that for as much as we pay for there s@@t then they should have a recall on their trucks.I have put a transmission in it and I have to put a motor in it now it is smoking.I will never buy another one.I had a 1982dodge and I keep it for 13 years .I had some problems but not like this.I will go and get me a FORD .

- , Winston Salem, NC, USA

Jul 182008

Ram 1500

This is a disgrace, I have pieces as large as a half of a pie falling loose. I think that this could be a class action if people became disfigured or hurt by loose or missing chunks of dashboard possibly pushed into you or your passengers face or body by the air bags. I am very disappointed in the quality and disregard for the public's safety.

- , Belton, SC, USA

Mar 312010

Ram 1500 Extended Cab 318 V8

Cracked Dash, several area's, Right side; windshield to glove box, center; U shape from windshield, left side.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Dec 092001

Ram 1500 Lariat

Dashboard began with a small crack back in 2001 Put a cover over it to try to stop more damage and hide it. 2010 it is literally falling in parts with at least 6 long cracks. Cannot believe it. I have been an avid Dodge buyer but I'm rethinking my options. With this many complaints I really feel Dodge should do something.

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Aug 212006

Ram 1500 1500 5.2L

DASHBOARD HAS THREE CRACKS IN VARIOUS PLACES. TRIED TO GLUE BACK WITH NO SUCCESS. THOUGHT IT WAS A UNIQUE PROBLEM. TOTALLY AMAZED AT THE NUMBER OF COMPLAINTS. I IMAGINE THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF OTHERS OUT THERE THAT HAVE NOT REPORTED THE SAME PROBLEM.

- , Headland, AL, USA

May 202005

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

The dash on these dodge trucks are a piece of sh*t!!!!! Epoxy it back together it cracked around the epoxy. Now there is a great big hole in the center of my dash!!!!

- , Nasville, TN, USA

Jul 072010

Ram 1500

Was a 20 year Dodge fan with a Colt,Dakota, 1500 Van, Intrepid, 1500 truck, but now due to the service and quality of Dodge, I am a proud owner of a 2008 Saturn Aura, originally wanted a Dodge Charger, and a 2010 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD. Sorry Dodge you lost my business. The reason was the fouled oil line in the Intrepid and the busted dash on the Dodge ram 1500.

- , Lafayette, LA, USA

Jan 102009

Ram 1500 3.2L V6

click to see larger images

dashboard cracked dashboard cracked

Hard to believe Dodge is balking at this problem. I was really surprised to see how widespread this problem is. At first I blamed it on the hot Arizona sun, but after reading these complaints from all over the USA, I think not. This truck has been my baby for 11 years. With the low miles for it's age and being in pristine condition (besides the dash), I was hopeing to sell for top dollar so I could buy a new one. But now with this dash problem, how in the world can I get a good price?

I guess when I'm ready to buy new,it's going to be a Chevy. No offense Ford. And no Japanese Crap for me. It's a shame Dodge is so stupid and willing to lose so many customers.

- , Scottsdale, AZ, USA

May 162007

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9L

My dash is all busted up with huge holes missing. Pieces fall down from under the dash all the time. I have a dash cover over it hiding it but it rattles really bad. I found online that dodge was replacing the dashes for a fee of about 100-500 (different cost per dealerships). I went to my local dealer but he told me that they were not honoring it since Dodge/Chrysler declared bankruptcy. Bogus. I am pretty ticked off about the lack of ownership from dodge on this issue. It's very apparent that the dash was created wrong and that they should replace them...

- , Centerville, UT, USA

Mar 182009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

double the fun... two trucks, same problem. first, several things need to be understood about Chrysler/Dodge as they relate to the rampant dash cracking issues. 1) Dodge didnt make them.. the interior parts are generally farmed out to vendors who specialize in different items. 2) Daimler managed to ditch it's stake in Chrysler Corp and alleviate themselves of any repsonsilbility they shared as majority controlling interest. 3) Cerberus Management (think... GM, they did so well they almost killed GM too) lost it's stake in Chrysler in the recent bankruptcy issues.. and from the beginning showed no interest in doing anything other than trying to make as much money as they possibly could (which doesnt include allocating millions to repair a problem they inherited)

So, you have the two most recent controlling entities which were running the company when these dashes were made and you have to realize they dont give a Cr@p about fixing your vehicle. They were only in it for the money in the 1st place and whatever people at Chrysler/Dodge that really cared about the company and retaining it's long-time customers had no more than a snowballs' chance in hell at doing any good when it might cost the bigwigs a few million. We didnt warranty too many of these dashes while the vehicles were still under the factory warranty, but in the last decade they are all succembing to the elements.

When driving my truck for the 1st time after moving to a colder area.. you could HEAR the thing cracking somwhere inside when you turned or hit a bump. This truck always had a sunshade in it when parked outdoors and I'd made every attempt at keeping it out of direct sunlight since I bought it. The next thing I noticed was when using the defrost in cold weater, it pretty well immediately started splitting at from the vents in the top of the dash. Incidentally, I worked for a while in the salvage business in 2004-05, and inspected every 1996-2001 Dodge Ram we recieved... during that time I saw only ONE come in with a good dash. I've never bothered to take it to the dealers, both trucks never had dash cracks until warranty expired. been there, done that..

I'll never bad-mouth dealer employees in general, most want to help, but when you have TWO major global institutions that take over ( yes, it was a takeover.. not a friendly merger) like they did, you'd think that something of this magnitude would go a long way towards helping their image. Wont be my last Dodge, but wont be buying another new one. Another thing on the cost of the dealer repair... there are no 'new' dashes being made, only what stockpile remained after they quit making that bodystyle truck... so not only do you have the original (high) price, but semi-annual price increases that reflect the fact they have to occupy warehouse space for however many are still around, taxes, etc.. It's one thing that never really made total sense to me, they'll have stuff like this sitting around for 20 years and end up throwing it away. But, who in their right mind is gonna pay $800 retail for a hunk of plastic that wont be any better than the one it's replacing. Drop it to $200, I'd buy 3 or 4 of them, lol.

- , Quenemo, KS, USA

Feb 012010

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

Cracked dash just like all the others. Dodge should really do something about this if they want people to keep buying their trucks.

- , Spartanburg, SC, USA

Jul 012009

Ram 1500

It started off with just one crack and quickly developed into cracks all over the dashboard. Looks awful!

- , Manteca, CA, USA

Jul 012010

Ram 1500 V8

iN jULY OF 2009 THE DASH CRACKED BEHIND THE STEERING WHEEL. WHEN WEEKS THE WHOLE DASK BEGAN TO FALL IN. NOT A HUGE SINGLE CRACK BUT, MANY INDEPENDENT CRACKS AND DASH CAVE INS. DODGE DID NOT EVEN WANT TO CONSIDER FIXING IT AND RECOMMENDED AN INDEPENDENT REPAIR COMPANY. WE ARE JUST ONE OF THOUSANDS BUT, MANY DO NOT KNOW THEY HAVE COMPLAINT VEHICLES ON THE INTERNET. I DONT SEE A RECALL BUT, THERE SHOULD BE ONE BECAUSE WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO EXPECT BETTER FROM OUR MANUFACTURERS.

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA

Aug 172005

Ram 1500 XL V8

I got the truck used. It was in very good condition, two days after I got the truck the dashboard on the right side just shattered. This is the 2nd truck I have ever owned. It is just plain sorry dodge has no pride in there products and workmanship. you need to revaluate your standards. People worked hard to buy dodge trucks and this is the thanks i get.

- , Russellville, AL, USA

Aug 082009

Ram 1500 5.2L

My dash started out with a minor crack but soon it developed into a hugh gaping hole. The only section of dash I have left is the area above the glove box. What a serious piece of garbage. I have driven Dodge trucks for the last 20 + years, and this is the only one with this problem. Chrysler should step to the plate and replace for free.

- , Leland, NC, USA

Jan 012005

Ram 1500 5.9L

Right at the 70,000 MILES DASH STARTED CRACKING AND FALLING APART WITH PIECES FALLING BELOW THE DASH. aND AS OF 2010 IT IS STILL CRACKING AND FALLING APART

- , McDonough, GA, USA

Aug 012007

Ram 1500

Dashboard cracked in several locations - almost completely gone!

- , Plano, TX, USA

Jan 172008

Ram 1500 1500 V8

I bought the truck new. The only real problem out of it is the sh*tty material they used for the Dash. I have always taken good care of it and park in a covered places. The dash started cracking on day I was in a store come out started up the truck turned on the air in about a min I heard a cracking. Looking over I see this big crack on the past side running from the airbag two the heater hole. Now after a few years it looks like someone took a hammer two my dash. Come on when is Dodge going to fix this. At lease cover half the cost of a better material dashboard.

AJ