2. replace with new dashboard (58 reports)
  3. should be a recall (34 reports)
  4. replace with better quality after market dashboard (22 reports)
  5. epoxy and a dash cover (7 reports)
  6. filed a complaint with. (6 reports)
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Ram 1500:

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 11)

Apr 012009

Ram 1500 1500 V8

I bought my truck from car city in late may 2009 then my dash board began to crack and now it is in much worse shape as time has passed, I really cant seem to find a solution to this problem as dash mats are expensive and to replace the dash myself is more expensive. dodge needs to be held liable to replace all these dashboards as I am not the only one who has had this problem, and if they refuse we all need to get together and begin a class action lawsuit.

- , Morley, MI, USA

May 152009

Ram 1500 Sport V8

click to see larger images

dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked

I was driving and I heard a large cracking sound...could not see where it was. Days later a passenger noticed the cracks. The plastic holding the glove box is also defective as well as the plastic cup holders.

I have never received any kind of notice from Dodge/Chrysler. I thought my problem was unique. I am very disappointed that I received no recall or any notice at all about the defect. In general I am very disappointed in Dodge and will never buy another one.

Update from Mar 25, 2013: Entire glove box has fallen off. Dash continues to disintegrate.

- , Houston, TX, USA

May 042010

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

I purchased my dodge in 2004. The dash has basically feel completly out of the truck. i take care of my vehicles daily.My first thought was that the heat and sun did the damage,but I have two friends with the same make,year and style as my dodge.Thier DASHES have cracked and feel out to. Its embaressing to be seen in my truck. People do ask me all the time WHAT HAPPENDED TO YOUR DASH? I reply its junk.Something can and should be done to fix the defects on these trucks.I enjoy my Dodge but its sickining to be seen in it. I hope they will stand behind their prduct. HOPEFULLY SOON!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Seaford, DE, USA

May 172004

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L V8

- , Greenville, NC, USA

May 072005

Ram 1500

This started as a small crack that I attempted to seal in early 2005. With in 18 months later the crack transformed into a hole with the pieces moving around inside the dash. i was told that to replace this at the dealer would run me close to $1,000. It was until I was researching other options that I found out from a local shop (Trucks and More Augusta,GA) that this has been a problem he noticed with a lot of Dodges coming into his shop, and was surprised there was no recall. I thank God that I do not have smaller children because this crack has cut me a couple of times and I know that a small child could get hurt seriously. Dodge needs to do something about this. I guess I have no other choice but to come out of pocket to get it repaired. I will have to find a after market part for replacement because I do not trust Dodge Parts.

I will say this, when I purchase a new truck which might be soon, it won't be a Dodge. To me as an Active Duty Military soldier, SERVICE MEANS EVERYTHING!!!!! And Dodge has shown me they do not care about customer service.

- , Grovetown, GA, USA

Sep 212006

Ram 1500 1500 MAG 5.2L/V8

I feel like the rest of my Dodge brothers we should sue Dodge.Maybe something will get done.

- , Chincoteague, VA, USA

Apr 102010

Ram 1500 Ram V8

Had no idea of what had happened. Came out from work one day and was driving home and the dash cracked. Next day was more cracking. Waiting to see if Chrysler makes a recall or some offer to repair problem.

- , Fort Smith, AR, USA

Jan 012002

Ram 1500 V8

The dash cracked up a couple of months after the truck went out of warranty. Went out and the dealership said it wasn't their problem. although they offered to fix it for around 1,200.00 bucks. I think Dodge should have to fix it for free since I bought the truck new. But what can a poor man like myself do.

- , Texarkana, AR, USA

May 012002

Ram 1500 1500 2WD 5.9L

Can't SCREAM enough about owning my first NEW truck only to have the dash crack and completely fall apart. Sad that Dodge would not own up to the obvious flaw. I bought another Dodge (Magnum) but that's it for me. NO MORE. Losing customers seems to be Dodge's goal. Feel completely ignored and taken.

- , Avondale, AZ, USA

Jan 302010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Hi I agree dodge should step up and fix their cheap ass dashes I bought my truck a year ago and now I'm sorry I didn't by ford or chevy/gmc I have 89 ford bronco and the dash is not cracked at all. What piece of sh*t this turned out to be. I sure hope dodge does a recall to fix them

- , Chico, CA, USA

Jun 012005

Ram 1500 4x4 Quadcab 5.9L V8

i bought my truck used in 2005. it had a couple of tiny cracks on the top of the dashboard. i didn't think much of it. it has gradually cracked a LOT more. leaving gaping holes in the top of the dash and the cracks are now running down the front of the dashboard toward the instrument panel. i saw how many complaints were on just this site alone. several different years of the Dodge Rams. this is bullshit that Dodge won't take care of this problem! i love my truck except for the disastrous dash... but i would never buy another Dodge/Chrysler product.

- , Bowling Green, KY, USA

Jul 152009

Ram 1500 5.2L

I really thought I was a lone ranger in this situation. I had to replace the heater core in my truck. and while the work was being done. The dashboard received a small crack and now i have almost no top part of it left. just two big ugly holes right up front. I thought i could got to the local pic a part and remove one. But each time (twice) the guy tried to remove one it would crack so i gave up on that idea. I've also had the Transmission replaced about 3 years after i got the truck. I'm glad it was still under warranty at the time. I love my Dodge Hate my Dash.

- , Greenville, MS, USA

Aug 172006

Ram 1500 SLT 3.9L V8

I don't need to say much more than what has already been said. Started with one crack and now is a huge hole and passenger airbag is falling out. Dodge cannot with any integrity say this is not a safety or re callable issue.

In contrast I have a 20 year old Honda beater that sits outside and has for the past 7 years. The interior, dash included, is in excellent shape for the age.

- , Sussex, WI, USA

Sep 092008

Ram 1500 Sport 318 V8

soon this dashboard will disintegrate before my eyes

- , Johnstown, NY, USA

Jun 032006

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

Dash had a small crack in it when I bought it now the is no dash left. Dash must have cut the wiring cant get it through emisions due to the plug not reading any data. I think this should be a factory recall. Found a complete dash at a local parts yard they want 750.00 for dash with harness, but how long before this one cracks and cuts the wiring.

- , Amston, CT, USA

Feb 052005

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.2L V8

Hello, my name is Robbie and im far from pissed off. I have a 99 dodge ram 1500 4x4. Dodge should have been takin out back and shot along time ago for even putting something so %$*&@! chinsey in a truck like that dash. I don't need the radio now because i can listen to the wonderful cracking of the dash. BELIEVE it or not, i had a nice carpet molded dash cover on for a couple of years but i'm pretty sure that made it even worst. It took only 5 days for the dash to start cracking and already it cracked in half. When i turn on my defroster, u can hear it crack more in other places. I'm afraid to touch the damn thing because it WILL fall through. It would be a different story if it was easier to change out, made a better quality dash, and yet still affordable. DODGE! COME ON!!! Get your head of your @$$!!!

- , Orangevale, CA, USA

Sep 102008

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

Dash was perfectly fine until the ac condenser was changed then has never stopped cracking..

I found a dash cover (plastic) on ebay that I am going to try to repair with..

- , Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Sep 012001

Ram 1500

click to see larger images

dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked

We need to sell this truck!!! This will knock a ton off the price we can get...we'll never by another dodge!!!

- , Monrovia, CA, USA

Sep 082002

Ram 1500 5.2L

Every truck I've seen with this dash has been cracked and the dealer wants over 400.00 for a new one.

- , Brentwood, TN, USA

Jul 012005

Ram 1500 V8

I have talked with several repair shops about the dash problem in my Ram. All say the same thing. I could have told you not to buy a DODGE, 4 of 5 have the same problem. I have fixed mine with the one thing in the world that solves most problems with defects of workmanship in the Auto Industry. and what is that you ask? DUCT TAPE, if it was good enough for Apollo 13, it will work for me. Maybe Dodge needs to supply a couple of rolls with each new truck and after each service call to a dealer.

- , Wilson, N C, USA