8.8

2. replace with new dashboard (58 reports)
  3. should be a recall (34 reports)
  4. replace with better quality after market dashboard (22 reports)
  5. epoxy and a dash cover (7 reports)
  6. filed a complaint with. www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov (6 reports)
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Ram 1500:

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 7 of 11)

Jun 012002

Ram 1500 4WD 318 V8

I BOUGHT THIS 1999 DODGE RAM IN 2002 WITH ABOUT 40,000 MILES ON IT. I NOW HAVE 79,000. SHORTLY AFTER PURCHASE, THE DASH CRACKED. AFTER ABOUT 10 CRACKS ACROSS THE TOP OF THE DASH IN EVERY HORIZONTAL DIRECTION. I WENT TO THE "5 STAR" LOCAL DEALER AND SHOWED THEM THE PROBLEM. THEY SAID THAT THEY HAD NEVER HEARD OF THE PROBLEM AND ESTIMATED $1500 TO REPAIR. UNTIL NOW, I THOUGHT THAT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WITH THE PROBLEM AND ASSUMED THAT THIS CERTAINLY WASN'T A WIDESPREAD PROBLEM THAT MAY BE IN LINE FOR A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. I ORDERED A CUSTOM FIT MAT AT AUTOZONE TO PUT OVER THE CRACKS. THE CRACKS HAVE CONTINUED AND ARE NOW GOING VERTICAL ON THE INSTRUMENT PANEL BEZEL. THERE ARE PROBABLE 15 CRACKS IN ALL. IN ADDITION, THE GLOVE COMPARTMENT PLASTIC DOOR FRAME HINGE PIN (PART OF THE DASH) BROKE OFF ON THE LOWER LEFT SIDE. I EPOXIED IN A PIECE OF WOOD DOWEL ROD TO MAKE THE GLOVE BOX DOOR WORK. I WISH THAT SOMEONE WOULD START A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT THAT RESULTED IN FREE DASH REPLACEMENT WITH THE LAWYER FEES BEING ADDED ABOVE AND BEYOUND THE BASIC REPLACEMENT BENEFIT. THE GOOD FAITH ON THE PART OF THE DODGE "5 STAR" WOULD ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO BE LESS HOSTILE AND POSSIBLY DO FURTHER PURCHASES FROM CHRYSLER MOTORS. RIGHT NOW, I WOULD NOT BUY OR RECOMMEND ANY OF THEIR VEHICLES. IF THEY DON'T DO SOMETHING BY THE TIME THAT I EVETUALLY SELL THIS TRUCK (IF POSSIBLE), I WILL MAKE IT MY PERSONAL GOAL TO SPREAD THIS NEWS TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE ABOUT THEIR UNWILLINGNESS TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT A KNOWN SERIOUS PROBLEM. I'LL BET IT WILL BE CHEAPER FOR THEM TO INSTALL A FREE NEW DASH! IS THERE A DODGE TRUCK OWNER WHO IS A LAWYER IN THE AUDIANCE? ANYONE OUT THERE THAT CAN RECOMMEND A SOLUTION?

Update from Oct 25, 2009: UPDATE - I JUST REPORTED IT TO THE NHTSA AS AN AIRBAG SAFETY PROBLEM AS FOLLOWS:

SEEMS LIKE THE DASH FALLING APART WOULD SET OFF THE AIR BAG OR SHORT THE WIRING TO CAUSE UNSAFE OPERATIONAL PROBLEM SUCH AS A FIRE. IF THE AIR BAG DEPLOYS WITH A FRAGMENTED DASH, WILL THE SHARP FRAGMENTS BECOME MISSLES THAT COULD INJURE OR KILL THE DRIVER OR PASSENGER? THIS APPEARS TO BE A REALLY UNSAFE CONDITION. THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF COMPLAINTS ABOUT THIS ON THE INTERNET. CAN YOU HELP PUT THE PRESSURE ON DODGE FOR A RECALL TO REPLACE OUR DASHES?

- , Rogers, AR, USA

Apr 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

click to see larger images

dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked

I think we all know this a defective product an could be a very hazardous problem in a lot of ways. Shattering into pieces upon air bag deployment on passenger side,electrical failure if water got down behind dash panel,not to mention how bad it looks. I filed a complaint with http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ and suggest you do the same. Let's get a recall.

- , Jonesboro, GA, USA

Jun 102002

Ram 1500 Quadcab 4x4 5.9L

With all the customers complaints why in the hell can't chrysler/dodge grow some balls and admit that there is a problem with the material used on the dashes in these vehicles, my (1999 dodge quadcab 1500 4x4) beautiful deep red/gray two tone truck only has 26000 miles on it, looks brand new, WELL, UNTIL YOU GET CLOSE TO IT AND SEE ALL THE DAMN CRACKS IN THE DASH. It is garaged most of the time, unless we are camping.

So they can't tell me it is sun baked, I started a list aprox. 4 years ago, and have aprox. 600 names of people that drive dodge trucks with there vin # that have cracks in there dash!!!!!!! and that is just in a tri-state area by me within aprox. a 300 mile area, hey CHRYSLER DOESN'T THAT TELL YOU THERE IS A DEFECT!!!!!!!

- , Zwingle, IA, USA

Sep 102008

Ram 1500 1500 V8

my husband takes good care of his truck and and Dodge should be ashamed of them self for not taking care of this problem.

- , Lake Villa, IL, USA

Apr 012009

Ram 1500

My Dodge 1500 dash cracked for no reason. I was looking for the part to fix it and found that it is a very big problem. I think Dodge should really be helping us out with this problem.

- , Shelby Twp., MI, USA

Apr 012008

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

My Dash started cracking about 2 years ago, since there are so many complaints that either the manufacturer that made the dash should pay for it getting replaced,or class actions law suit should be filed on the behalf of all of us. I call dodge dealer they made a appointment to see my dash there respond was you did this your self that was it.

- , Romeoville, IL, USA

May 152007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

I own 2 Dodge 1500 pickups. The dash has cracked on both vehicles and caved in. I went to dodge who told me "Yea we've had a lot of those", hint Dodge sounds like a problem. I love my vehicles and take care of both. I want to fix my vehicle but it will cost 200 dollars a piece for the part and then 700 dollars a piece for the labor. This sucks and I can't afford this. Dodge just a hint you've lost me as a customer and I'm sure several others as a result of your poor customer service. I paid cash for both vehicles looks like Ford or Toyota will be getting my money from now on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Weatherford, TX, USA

Jan 012007

Ram 1500 Sport 3.18

I have 2 Dodge Trucks 2001 dodge 2500 diesel and a 1999 1500 Both have cracked dashes .I have been in contact with dodge and spent many hours on the phone with customer service .I was told that i needed to take both trucks to dealer to be looked at and that i would be contacted.that was over a year ago and i have not been contacted .I called back about a week after contacting and was put on hold and then hung-up on.I have looked on line and have seen 2 or 3 news casts on dodge cars and trucks having cracked dashes .The problem is very large and covers many years and many different models .Is there any one who has thought of a class action suit against dodge?

- , Belton, SC, USA

Jun 292009

Ram 1500 3.2L V6

got my truck used in 2002 keep it in the garage until 2 years ago,now I have a hole in my dash on passenger side right at the glass ,the hole appeared around september of 2008 , This morning 06/29/09 when i started my truck several bad cracks

ran across my dash from the hole area toward the front looks so bad i turned off passenger air bag in case the dash comes loose and sets it off. this all happened with no stress to the dash ,I agrre with th person who said we need a class action law suit

toward dodge.

- , Garland, TX, USA

Feb 232007

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

The first time my dash cracked was in March 2005 which was replaced. Just this morning I found my dash cracked!!! Barely two years and it cracked again? I love my truck but this is getting rather annoying, just hope I don't get any transmission problems.

- , Norwalk, CA, USA

Aug 162005

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

My Dash started cracking about 5 years after I bought the Truck, My grip is that since there are so many complaints that either the manufacturer that made the dash for Chrysler or Chrysler Corporation itself should pay for it getting replaced. I agree with another personís grip, a class actions law suit should be filed on the behalf of all of us. I also will not buy another Chrysler product since they know this is a problem and they failed to act on it. And to think we (taxpayers) are paying the money for there bailout.

- , Ocean Springs, MS, USA

May 192007

Ram 1500 V6

My dash started cracking with just small cracks and continued to worsen. I took the truck to a Dodge dealer and I was advised they had seen several such problems in these trucks but the Dodge Corp. would not fix them. They advised if I wanted the truck repaired, I would have to pay for the repairs.

The dash continues to fall apart. I think there should be a class action law suit against Dodge and would be a willing participant.

- , Greeneville, TN, USA

Feb 242009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L V8

I had just purchased the vehicle and one time getting in my truck, the vynl(sp?) A post cracked so i had to drive my truck with a dangling piece of plastic constantly in my line of sight. Finally a month ago, i went to install cab lights and it happened again. With all these problems about cracked dashboards don't you think they would have fixed it by now?

- , Glen Allen, VA, USA

May 012007

Ram 1500 5.2L

My dash started cracking a few years ago, now it is almost completely gone and taking the trim around the radio and gauges with it

- , Wauchula, FL, USA

Feb 052008

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

dash board cracking in seven different places.Try to go to junkyard to buy another dash,but the dash boards in those trucks was cracked too.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 212005

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L V8

I love everything about my Dodge Ram 1500, but the dash !! I bought this truck because I loved the way it ran and the way it looked. Now thanks to the manufacturers defected dash board, my truck looks like i picked it up straight out of the junk yard. My dash started out with a small crack and before I knew it, there were 5 small cracks, then more. Now I have no dash left in my truck !! Seriously I am driving around with exposed wires and it looks horrible !! You would think if Dodge wanted to stay in business past this recession, they would take care of their customers and issue an immediate recall on the crap they sell !!!

- , Haymarket, VA, USA

Jan 082003

Ram 1500 1500

i wish that dodge will consider this as a problem that they need to fix

- , Merrick, NY, USA

Jun 032001

Ram 1500 5.2L V6

When my dash cracked it was the beginning of the summer. Before the end of the year was out, it looked like the grand canyon national park. I contacted the local Dodge dealer for a replacement and was told Chrysler was working on the problem (bull-$*!).

- , Mineral Wells, TX, USA

May 142008

Ram 1500 1500 Magnum 3.2L V8

last year on a sumer time we have discovered a small cracked on my dashboard about

3 in and now is all the dashboard and it looks awful and its been that way almost a year now.

- , Oklahoma, OK, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500

I bought my truck In January of 2008 and it had a few cracks in the dash already. Now the cracks have spidered all over the dash and caving in. I have sections of the dash that have fallen in that are more then a foot wide. It is embarrassing because its the first thing you see when you look at the front side of the truck. I have looked all over the internet to find out why Dodge has not had a recall on this. Now that I have seen how many other people have had the same problems it really aggravates me that Dodge wont do anything about there own problems. They want the government to help bail them out in financial problems but don't even think of taking care of the customers they currently have them selves!!!!!! Last Dodge I will buy!!!

- , Poplar Bluff, MO, USA