8.8

2. replace with new dashboard (58 reports)
  3. should be a recall (34 reports)
  4. replace with better quality after market dashboard (22 reports)
  5. epoxy and a dash cover (7 reports)
  6. filed a complaint with. www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov (6 reports)
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Ram 1500:

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 8 of 11)

Dec 012004

Ram 1500 Sport, QuadCab, SWB 5.9L V8 Magnum

I wish Id thought to snap a few pics before I typed this..

My dash starting cracking shortly after the truck was paid off. Since then it starting to look like the Salt Flats out west...the cracks not only run all over the dash pad but also extend into the trim over the Driver console (around the gauge display).

A new dash is simply outta the question. The cost has sky-rocketed because you just can't find one without a cracking issue.

This is really the only eyesore on my truck and has actually dropped the offers that potential buyers are offering by a couple of hundred dollars (yeah, its for sale!)

With a professional background in chemical and Polymer manufacturing, I know a few things about this product. I work for more than a few Tier 1, 2, and 3 suppliers (supplied straight to Ford, GM, Chrysler, etc) and I know what the problem is...Degradation. This is caused by the producer trying to cut cost of raw material by using a high percentage of "regrind" in their process. After several generations of regrind are pass through the thermal process, the molecular bonding in the polymer start to break down and it become more and more brittle, losing the flexibility and durability of the "first generation" productions. During quality testing this is not detectable because these parts haven't been exposed to extended period of UV exposure. Its only detectable after these periods.

Dodge/ Crysler put the demands on their supplier, but the supplier is ultimately responsible for the evident quality issue

- , Hendersonville, NC, USA

Aug 202007

Ram 1500 1500 4x4 5.9L V8

I think dodge needs to have a recall on the dash and fix everones because it costs way to much to go and fix it your self its there fault they put that cheep ass dash in all there trucks.never had a problem with any of my other trucks.

- , Newport, TN,, USA

Jun 082001

Ram 1500 SLT V8

The dash has 3 major cracks at first there was only 1 for a couple of years than this year 2008 we now have 2 more from the drivers side across to the passenger side. It looks awful don't know what to do. We are looking for a new pickup it will not be a Dodge, we have been looking at the Toyota Tundra.

- , Ukiah, OR, USA

Sep 212008

Ram 1500

I think I am ready for that class action lawsuit against Dodge. Its time we as consumers stand up and show the makers of our autos, that we will not stand for cheap quality made transportation any longer.

It is a shame, that we buy our cars that are not guaranteed any more for the lifetime of the vehicles. I see these trucks on the road all the time. Good trucks, but the quality manufacturers put into the materials they use to build the inside of the vehicles we use to go to work, for work and our families, is just dwindling down to throw away crap. We work hard for our money, and its not right, that the American people are ripped off this way. What has happened to the pride that we use to have in the products we made? Pride...no pride any more, just money hungry, cheaply made, throw away products, and no one will stand behind what they make. This will be the last Dodge product I buy.

Anyone still want to get that lawsuit started? I am in!

- , Red Hill, PA, USA

Oct 312005

Ram 1500 5.2L

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 with a cracked dash board. I have put several thousands of dollars into this truck only to have the dash fall apart, cup holder break, evaporator

coil going bad. Least to say how disappointing to have these problems. I have a

'90 Chevrolet work van with 300,000 miles and has no cracks in the dash. Obviously

by all the complaints this is definitely a manufacturer defect and there should be a recall

of some kind. I was thinking about buying the new Challenger but I think i'll wait for the

Camaro instead.

- , Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Jun 012007

Ram 1500 Slt Laramie 5.9L V8

click to see larger images

dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked

I understand this isn't don't on purpose but, I think with as many people that are having the same problem with this and similar vehicles,that dodge should really do something about this.It's not like one or two people are doing this just to fix something that they may have messed up themselves.Ifeel proud to represent dodge but I can't make it look good like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Smithfield, NC, USA

Oct 112003

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

I LOVE DODGE TRUCKS, THIS IS MY THIRD ONE THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIXED BY THE DEALER , CHRYSLER DODGE,, OR SHOULD HAVE BEEN A RECALL. REPLACED IT IN 2006 AND THE 2ND ONE CRACKED 16 MONTHS LATER ,, NOW IT HAS 84,000 MILES AND ANOTHER CRACKED UP DASH. THINK I WILL JUST GET THE DASH COVER,,,,,,,,,,,THE NEXT 1 WILL BE THE NISSAN TITAN,,,,,,,,,...????????????

- , Va Beach, VA, USA

Dec 172004

Ram 1500 V8

click to see larger images

dashboard cracked dashboard cracked

I bought this truck new, the cracked dash board was one of may problems faced with this vehicle since I have owned it. Truck was in mint condition when it happened went to drive it one day and noticed a snap sound, low and behold it was the dash board. it has several cracks in it including from the glass to the driver seat, from the glass to the radio , from the glass to the passenger side air bag. I have yet been able to find a remedy for this problem and trying to get help from the dealer who sold it to me is next to impossible for any complaint. Dodge should stand behind their product and realize that this model and year is terrible for this problem and they should either recall it or pay the repair cost. I feel I was charged extremely good money for a company who obviously cut corners on quality.

- , Saint John, NB, Canada

Feb 012006

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

I bought a 1999 Dodge Quad Sport 4x4 in 2005 from a local dealer. 6 months later I got a large crack in the dash from the vent to the radio. I covered it with a dash mat. Looks kinda cheesy if you ask me but it was a cheap band-aid. I just looked under it last week and I now have 6-7 large cracks from the windshield to the bezel and glove box areas. This is the 3rd complaint thread I've posted on and I can tell you this is DEFINITELY NOT AN ISOLATED CASE! There are thousands of these bad dashes and calling the dealers and corporate have had mixed results. I'm calling next week to 1-800-992-1997 and giving my vin# along with my complaint. You can try yourself if you like. Some have gotten theirs fixed for free, some with deductibles and some got snubbed. Or should I say MOST got snubbed. Used replacement parts are rare at best and new ones from the dealer are in the $400-550 range so I've heard. Then there's the labor cost of $500-700. I've been looking everywhere for info on how to remove the dash for the DIY'ers but I've had little luck except for the fact I've been told it's a pain in the butt. Wish me luck calling them.....

- , Almo, KY, USA

Apr 092008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

Everyone I know with this year and model has had the dash crack. Currently mine is cracked from windshield to airbag and there's a nice big chunk that rattles around for that extra ambiance. I bought this truck in new in 1999 and have never had major engine trouble but the interior is falling apart including the driver side door panel. The small things start to add up and I will never buy another Dodge again.

- , Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Feb 022004

Ram 1500 1500

It's sad to say that everything we work hard to pay just crumbles in front of us. My dashboard is cracked, crumbled, broken, missing, etc...I also agree that Dodge should step up and take responsibility for this defect. If I wanted a broken dash, I would have just taken a hammer to it. It's very embarrassing to drive around with my dash looking this way. It's more depressing that I paid all that money just to see it that happen.I hadn't even finished paying off my truck when this happened.What a shame...Definitely no more Dodge for me!!!!

- , Eagle Pass, TX, USA

Jan 012007

Ram 1500 3.9lV6

I have put great pride into my truck and it is a shame that the dash has crumbled. It is embarrassing. I see others have had the same problem. And unfortunately Dodge has been unable to help. I have been looking with repair facilities and auto yards and I have been told it is virtually impossible to find a used dash that is not cracked the same as mine. How is this possible?

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA

Nov 222006

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.2L Ltr

Ok, I see I'm not the only one that has this problem. Like everyon else my dash is cracked in so many places and I have a large eight inch gap where a peice fell in.

Since Dodge has turn a deaf ear, I think it is time to start a class action law suit to get the cracked dash boards replaced with a new upgraded dash. Anyone who is in favor of doing a class action law suit reply to me.

- , Fairfield, CA, Afghanistan

Apr 122006

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

I called Dodge and basically got the run around so now I don't know what to do my dash is cracked into 3 large pieces and starting to get worst plus the radio has lost the front speakers and I can't find any help from Dodge anyone please help

- , Sumter, SC, USA

Jul 072008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

I am upset that there can be so many complaints about this. Just think about all the people that haven't said anything, because they don't know that it is a major problem with this truck. I would like to get it fixed but I am not made of money. It just like popped and then it was cracked. I have owned several dodge trucks and this never happened in the 1989, 1990, 2000, or 2002

- , Carmichael, CA, USA

May 232006

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

My '99 Ram did the same thing. Started as one small crack, then the whole dash started falling apart. Seeing the dash problem, plus a rust problem, and all the reports about the steering component failure and transmission failure I dumped the truck at 95,800 miles, and bought a Toyota Tacoma.

- , Madison, WI, USA

Feb 102001

Ram 1500

My dashboard is cracked so badly!! It's really annoying!! There is a place in Pompano Beach, Florida that is starting to make aftermarket upper dash panels for this Dodge 1500. All of these trucks from 1997-2002 have the same problem. Plastic Parts, inc. 1-800-331-7081. They should be available by September of 2008.

- , Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Jun 012004

Ram 1500 Magnum V8

Same thing, the dash looks like a jig saw puzzle. Any lawyers own one of these? I cannot believe they have not recalled this already. Checked on ebay and found a dash cover for $100.00 might just do it.

- , Cypress, TX, USA

Jun 012001

Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 318 V8

Why doesn't Chrysler Motor company have to stand behind their product. They know the dashboards on their Dodge Ram Pickups are not worth anything. Thousands of people have the same problem I have which is a seriously cracked dashboard with a great big hole in it. How are they getting away with not have a recall on these vehicles and they should have to replace their worthless dashboards in these trucks. This will be the last Dodge truck I will buy if they just want to rip their customers off like this.

- , Livingston, TX, USA

Jun 012006

Ram 1500 360 Ci 5.9L

Called Dodge today and they said the dash was $400.00 and the black trim was $325.00 So we have $725.00 for two parts that should be replaced by Dodge! I took the truck to the shop today for A/C not working and they said that the evaporator had to be replaced, and the dash would need to be removed....Well when they take the dash off there is no way that it is going back on. The dash has more cracks and lines than a 90 year old person. Dodge told me today that the dash is not a recall and I would have to buy it!

- , Port Richey, FL, USA