8.8

2. replace with new dashboard (58 reports)
  3. should be a recall (34 reports)
  4. replace with better quality after market dashboard (22 reports)
  5. epoxy and a dash cover (7 reports)
  6. filed a complaint with. www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov (6 reports)
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Ram 1500:

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 9 of 11)

Nov 152002

Ram 1500 Laramie

I had no idea the number of people with similar problems until I started searching the internet for a replacement dash. If Dodge cares anything about its customers or its reputation, they should issue a recall.

- , Batesvile, MS, USA

Oct 012003

Ram 1500 5.2L

When I bought the vehicle used in 2002, there were no visible problems with the dash. Within a year the dash began to crack. Now, 5 years later, the entire dash is in pieces. I am not sure what has happened. I have not wrecked the vehicle nor has the dash been abused. It is definitely a eye sore.

- , Dalhart, TX, USA

Jun 152007

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

Like everyone else I have a 1999 Dodge RAM 1500 with a cracked dashboard. The crack goes from the passenger side defroster vent all the way up to the instrument panel. I went to my local Dodge Dealer and they said it would cost me $950.00 to repair. Then I called Dodge Customer Assistance to see if they would cover the cost for the poorly manufactured part and of course they said it's out of warranty and will not cover it. I was also told they never had any complaints about the dashboards cracking, damn liars!! So I filed a complaint with the NHTSA and with Consumer Affairs. Hopefully something will get done. I will never buy a Chrysler product again!!

- , Piscataway, NJ, USA

Apr 022003

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

I see I'm not the only one with this issue. The dash in my 1999 Dodge 1500 is gone. It stated as a small crack to a large crack to smaller cracks to no dash. I contacted Dodge and still waiting for a response. If you have any info that could help me please post it. You can contact Dodge at 1-800-992-1997 to report this issue or go to local6.com to watch a report that was made about this issue. The report was made over a year ago by reporter Steve cooper so you have to look under investigating reports. I was amazed to see that this has to be a dealer issue because the footage that was shot of different trucks is identical to my truck. AGAIN if anyone has had any luck with this issue please post it so others can benefit.

- , Marrero, LA, USA

Apr 092007

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L

Dodge is looking for a law suit! I am hoping they have to reach into their pockets on a class action suit. These dashboards are coming apart on there own.

I am thinking they DON'T CARE!!!

I have always bought Mopar Cars anf Trucks. I have posted it on the internet at work. 13000 potential customers.BEWARE!!!

I WILL NOT OWN ANOTHER MOPAR PRODUCT!!!

- , Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

May 142007

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L V8

dash was cracked from defrost vents to front trim, 4 15's in the back made it even worse, went to replace the heater core and it completely fell apart in my hands, i had no dash at all, i was getting a new one for $650 and they said it was just gonna do it again with my music so i just got a custom one made from fiberglass for $3500

- , Waco, TX, USA

Jan 062008

Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab 5.2L

this dashboard cracked from the windshield back to the steering wheel @ first, then it literally cracked into six very large pieces.

- , Oakville, CT, USA

Dec 142005

Ram 1500 5.2L

Transmission went out at less than 10,000 miles. Had not even gotten 5 miles away from the dealership on a freezing-snowing evening when it completely went out at 60 miles an hour on the interstate. They gave us a loaner vehicle and came and picked us up and took us back to the dealership at 6PM. Got home late only to get up in the AM - started the loaner vehicle and the doors automatically locked. Now we're locked out and live in the boonies so the locksmith took 3 hours to show up. (good thing we had AAA) The dealership would not be open until 9:00AM. We had to be at work at 7AM. Of course we were late getting to work. We were second owners. What a lemon. Should have gotten rid of the piece of junk then. Air conditioning was not getting cold the first summer. Dealer had to replace the heater coil under the dash. When they put the dash back in wa la it started cracking all over the place. Now it looks like a globe. You can see into the inside of the dash. I will take pictures and put them on this site as soon as possible. Unbelievable. Head liner is falling in. Visor mirror has fallen out of place and the black gunk they used to adhere it is flaking all over the place. The cup holder broke away from the dash the first time we put two large drinks in the holders. Now you just have to keep closing it to re-attach it cuz the plastic is broke. So far alternator-battery-belts-hoses-plugs-wires-tires-filters-sensors-fuel-oil-and the water pump are on our replacement list. Besides the transmission and heater coil. Oh ya and the plastic part on the radiator was leaking last week and the radiator was replaced. They just don't make um like they used to. Everything is plastic or very cheaply made but still costs a fortune to replace. The junky dashboard is $1000.00 and it's the same junk as the first one. Why would one buy another at that astronomical price when the first one was junk! Here's yur sign!!!!!

- , Gates, NC, USA

Feb 102005

Ram 1500 5.2L

Have always liked Dodge trucks, but feel the same way most others do about the dashboards falling apart. Mine is completely shot. Tired of my Chevy and Ford friends ragging me about Dodge when they ride in my truck and see the dash.. Maybe they are right. maybe I will look at Chevy before I buy again.

- , Hedgesville, WV, USA

Feb 152000

Ram 1500 3.2L V6

noticed the first crack in dash while still in warranty, but figured it wasn't worth the hassle. then, dashboard cobwebbed-ready to fall out. Dealership said too bad-so sad. never buy another dodge.

- , Germantown, TN, USA

May 292007

Ram 1500 ES V8

the interior is still very good except for the dash. it has completely fallen into the wiring. there is a hole about 30 inches long and 12 inches wide.

- , Stockbridge, GA, USA

Jan 012005

Ram 1500

My dash has at least 7 cracks and I think it is about to fall apart. Now that I see this is a common problem, what can we all do about it? Dodge should fix this annoying problem. There is a lot of cheap hard plastic parts on this year model truck. I have repaired several dealer only items repeatedly. Thank God I can fix many of them myself or it would cost me a fortune. If anyone has a total solution to the dash issue please let us all know.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 102007

Ram 1500 Extended Cab 5.9L V8 4x4

as many here have pointed out, my dash also started cracking. i have try not to touch it since a year ago, and not add cleaning solutions to it. it has help from making it crack anymore or fall apart.

- , Reston, VA, USA

Jan 012007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2V8

so I buy the truck new make all of the 72 payments and the dash cracks and falls in dodge s of no help if this were a mythbuster episode titled does paying off your vehicle make it fall apart? they would have give it a positive yes....I obtained my cdl in 1968 and and over the past 40 years i have had more than 60 cars and trucks and I have never witnessed any thing like this first I saw a small crack by the defrost vent and within two weeks the whoe dash fell in now my ac does not work prperly and I had to turn off my passenger air bag for fear of unwanted deployment......so dodge are you going to step up since this is an on going problem over several years and models or are you telling us the American People "Spreken se Detuche?"

- , Torrance, CA, USA

Oct 242006

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L V8

My 1999 1500 4x4 slt was always very well taken care of driven like a car not a truck. the dashboard began to crack at the drivers side heater duct.The crack went all the way up to the speedometer facia.As bad as that was i thought the crack would have stoped there by the next week chunks began to fall out and down into the lower part of the dashboard.I contacted dodge and they told me there was nothing they could do for me.I would like to hear from anyone who has started any action agenst dodge for this problem.

Update from Oct 4, 2012: AT 102.000 MILES NOW AND I AM INSTALLING MY THIRD DASH. I AM GETTING GOOD AT THIS, PLENTY OF PRACTICE . DODGE HAS SHOWN US ALL THEY DON,T GIVE A DAM.

- , Poughkeepsie, NY, USA

Nov 122007

Ram 1500

I hate dodge. They are crap. I owned a durango and had every problem in the world. the car was cared for perfectly on my end. But dodge would not stand up for there product. so i got rid of it. now i'm dealing with this dashboard crack. it makes the truck look like sh*t. the dashboard was protected with armoral every week and a sunshade in the summer. was never driven on rough terrain (dodge asked me that when i called to complain) felt like telling them its a truck shouldn't it stand up to some offroading. well now it crack and i have no idea how to fix. any suggestions anyone.

- , Torrington, CT, USA

Apr 132006

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

first it was a small crack. then it started to vibrate when i was driving. a small piece fell in by the vent. now basically i have no dashboard at all, and cannot even take it apart to put in a new one because it disintegrates when i touch the dash. the console under the dash and overhead both broke too, the plastic is horrible.

- , Manassas, VA, USA

Aug 272007

Ram 1500 1500 5.2L

About a yr ago at the end of the summer after intense heat I noticed my dash beginning to crack. A few days later I had my car washed and noticed that a a full piece of the dash in the shape of a triangle had broke completely off and fell inside the dash. The problem has only gotten worse, now I have several pieces that have completely broken off.. Called dodge, there nothing they can do to fox the problem. Except take to the local dealer and ill have to pay the parts and labor fees... This is bullshit, might not purchase another dodge product in the future... Any solutions to my problem???

- , Fontana, CA, USA

Jul 012007

Ram 1500

Dodge is using faulty materials manufacturing these vehicles and I wonder how safe my airbags are going to be if they ever deploy!

- , Katy, Tx., USA

Nov 222002

Ram 1500 318 V8

Started small, lost a piece in the vent. Then it just fell apart, cracks every where. Dodge needs to replace the dashboard! When i bought my dodge I would wipe and clean the dash, Now I am afraid to just touch it, It might fall apart.

- , Hudson Oaks, TX, USA