2. trans overhaul (1 reports)
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Ram 1500:

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Jul 012012

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l V8, I bought it used with about 115,000 miles on it and everything was fine, engine ran strong, transmission worked great, body was so-so (work truck what do you expect) few dings here and there, interior was in good condition except for the cracked dash (but that's a common prob. from what I hear)

I drove it no problems for a while, but right about when I hit 150,000 miles the transmission started to go. I first noticed it when I was going to work one morning, I was on the freeway, on this stretch of freeway there is a slight hill, I started going up the hill and noticed the truck was starting to over rev. as soon as I noticed it I got off the highway, pulled over and checked the tranny fluid and all other fluids and everything was fine, (I had just gave the truck a tune up the weekend before and changed all fluids) everything was fine so of course I think "DAMN, my tranny is going!!!!"

I got back on the road and was able to make it to work fortunately, but the truck was struggling, after work I took it home and checked all fluids again and everything was still fine, the next day, I drained and replaced all the fluids again hoping that would help, but nope, I parked the truck for a while and didn't drive it, I recently started driving it again, hoping for different results, because my other vehicle was stolen, but same prob. I put some Lucas Transmission Fix in the tranny fluid and that has helped, but I've heard this problem is really common with these trucks.

I was talking to a coworker today about it and he said he had just about the same problem with one of his vehicles and a buddy of his also had the same problem. My co-worked said he fixed his by replacing a solenoid in the transmission, he said it was an easy and quick fix. Now I'm hoping that's the case with my truck, because right now, I can't afford another tranny. I was wondering if anybody else has had this same experience with the solenoids in their transmission?

- , Monterey, USA

Dec 052011

Ram 1500 Extended Cab 318

bought truck new in 1999 transmission went out at 52000 miles. I had dealer replace it thinking dodge would help out on the cost. They wanted nothing to do with me. Now transmission is stuck in drive, looking for another transmission again. These transmissions are a joke - even mech that work for dodge admit these trannies were not made for these trucks. Dodge should of had a recall on them. Now they just make money on them. I'll never buy another one, buying honda.

- , Dawsonville, GA, USA

Oct 142009

Ram 1500 1500 5.2L

well i bought this piece of sh*t dodge used and it seemed fine. about a week after i got it, i locked it in 4 wheel low an i could not even turn . (pain in the ass to fix) after that i hit a speed bump at about 12 miles an hour an broke the drive shaft, both front U joints, an ball joints. Now at 83,000 miles i need a second trannsmission rebuild. the late model dodge trucks are bitches an will cause you hell out the ass. i will not own another late model dodge (95-00 models) the transmissions are sh*tty an will fail an you will replace everything under your front end before long. the dash will fall the hell out an they will be sending you to autozone to buy some kind of little dash cover. these trucks are your worst nightmare. they suck gas to. If you want an older model truck go with a ford. my 99 model has been in the shop one time for an alternator and its pushing 250,000 miles an still kickin. love dodges but not these

- , Killen, AL, USA

Oct 062006

Ram 1500

Bad enough to prevent sale of even 50% of what I paid for it.

- , Augusta, ME, USA