8.7

1. dodge should make this a major recall (84 reports)
  2. recall & replace at no cost to owner (73 reports)
  4. replace dashboard (24 reports)
  5. recall defective dash (4 reports)
  6. never buy another dodge (3 reports)
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Dodge Ram 1500:

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 11)

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

dashboard material is cracked in a number of places, mainly above the center/passenger side of the dahboard. (above the glove box)

Additionally, the trim bezel on the front of the dashboard is also beginning to crack. There is a portion that has completly broken off directly above the instrument cluster...it is triangular in shape. I can can fit a couple of fingers in the hole.

I am afraid to set anything on top of the dashboard for fear of doing more damage. Edges are very sharp. There now is excesive squeeking as I drive and it looks terrible.

I have never put any Armorall on the dash

- , Old Hickory, TN, USA

Aug 202007

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT

I don't really know where to begin. This is our main/best vehicle. It is SO embarrassing, to begin with, for others to see these giant holes in the dash of the truck. It started out cracking, then chunks of the dash began falling inside, and now it is cracking even in the front down towards the air conditioning vents. Not too long after the HOLES began, my air conditioning went out. I know there had to be some related issue to make this happen. I had to get a brand new compressor this year after breaking down and paying several hundred dollars to replace it (the air is a whole other complaint). I do love my truck and I would like to keep it, but I don't want to pay money to fix problems that never should have happened. I have seen cars that are 30-40 years old and nothing wrong with their dashboards, and yet my truck was only about 7 years old when it started cracking. I paid way too much money for this vehicle to have something like this. I already refuse to even consider purchasing a car made by Dodge; I don't want to have to feel the same about their trucks. Currently my dashboard is covered in clear shipping tape in order to keep anything from falling down inside the dash through the giant holes all over it.

- , Rome, GA, USA

Feb 072007

Ram 1500 5.9V8

this is becomming a real problem, cant open the windows while driving in fear of a chunk of plastic flying in my eyes, dodge should look at this before they get sued because someone loses an eye

- , Lauderdale Lakes, FL, USA

Jul 202005

Ram 1500 Sport V8 360

this is a nation wide problem i dont understand why dodge doesnt recall this or why the so called safety administration doesnt tell dodge to get off thier greedy asses and do something about this problem it is clear it is not an isolated event tnks.

- , Shelton, WA, USA

Jun 092010

Ram 1500 Quad 5.9L

This is the same problem as the rest of the dodge owners are having. Dodge needs to step up and take care of this or lose future/present customers. What is wrong with these companies making cheaper products and charging more? I will never buy another dodge product or recommend it to anyone. They tell you to put a cover over it! Well what do you fasten it to? As far as the rest of the truck, everything is almost gone or broken. I used to think I really take care of my things, but the DODGE changed my way of thinking!

- , Roseville, OH, USA

Jun 202004

Ram 1500

I am sick and tired of looking at my my almost completly gone dash. It started as a small crack then it spidered out until I had 2 softball size holes in my dash and growing. Its to the point now that I'm scared to hit any hole, speed bump or even drive over train tracks, cause if I do, who knows what else is going to fall out of so called dash, the only thing keeping it together is the bezzle.

I got onto the computer to look for a way to resolve this problem ( been doing that for the past 7 years) and the price to repair still hasn't come down, you think it would after so many years, if anything it's gone up.

I still can't believe that Chrysler is doing nothing (recall) to help fix this problem. They had no problem taking the bail out money from the government and giving themselves raises and vacations or what have you. That money came from tax payers, taxpayers that bought they're trucks that were cheaply made with a thin layer of plastic and called it a dash that obviously didn't hold up. I think it's time that Chrysler steps up to the plate and recall this problem, the same way we taxpayers stepped up and bailed their asses out.

Come on Chrysler, do the right thing.....RECALL and fix this sh*t you call a dash.

- , Dublin, CA, USA

Jul 062011

Ram 1500

STARTED OUT AS A CRACK AND EVERY TIME A BUMP IS HIT...MORE PIECES COME OFF... NOW A FREAKEN HOLE BIG ENOUGH FOR A DOG TO SIT IN!!!! THEY SAY THEY CAN'T REPLACE...ONLY COVER IT WITH AN AFTERMARKET DASHBOARD COVER, WHICH MEANS THE HOLE WILL CONTINUE TO GET BIGGER UNDER THAT. WENT TO HAVE STEREO REPLACED AND NOBODY WANTS TO TOUCH IT BECAUSE OF THE DASH BOARD.... JUST ONE BIG HASSLE AND UNSAFE TO HAVE SON SIT IN THE FRONT SEAT! THEN THERE IS THE PROBLEM OF LOSING EVERYTHING IN THE HOLE..WHICH OF COURSE MY 5 YEAR OLD LOVES TO DO..NOT SURE WHERE THE STUFF IS GOING, AS THE CANYON SEEMS BOTTOMLESS! SOMEDAY MY SON WILL FIT IN THE CAN YON AND THAT WILL BE A WRECK FOR DODGE TO TO ENCOUNTER!!!!

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 012003

Ram 1500 SLT 318 Ci V8

I bought a new 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 extended cab from one of the largest north Texas dealerships.. A year or two after purchasing the truck the dashboard cracked right down the middle (big crack). I took the vehicle to the dealership to get it fixed and had the service manager look at the truck. (This truck was like new except for the big crack in the dashboard). I was so disappointed when the service manager stated that someone must have kicked the dashboard as he had never had a problem like this before. At this point I ask for a Chrysler representative to speak with and the service manager told me that I was wasting my time. I walked inside and spoke to the general manager and told him that this would be the last Chrysler vehicle I ever bought if they didn't fix it. The manager took my name and phone # (stating that he would call me back after checking on the problem). Needless to say, I never recived a call. I bought a carpet cover for the dash and sold the truck shortly after.

- , Van Alstyne, TX, USA

Oct 012002

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.9L

I bought the truck used, and when I discovered the problem I went to the local Dodge dealership where I was promptly given the cold shoulder and directed to the parts/repair counter. The guy there quoted me about $400 for the part and another $400 for installation so I walked out. I've been living with this monster ever since, but it is affecting the electrical systems in the truck and I am constantly having to chase down problem after problem. My heating and interior lighting has suffered as well as the radio. I'm just waiting for the gauges or exterior lighting to fail.

I have looked at every local junk yard to find a replacement dash, but haven't seen a single 98-01 Ram without a cracked dash. I see no point in buying a cracked one as it will just end up as bad as the one I already have. I am now looking into a dash cover, but that will not help with the cracking that is causing my heater controls to fall into the inside of the dash.

What to do, what to do?????

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jan 072012

Ram 1500 Larime SLT 5.2L V8

We purchased a used Dodge Ram 1500 two days ago. We got a great deal on the truck and thought it was in great condition. It is not uncommon in Arizona to have a dash mat so we did not think anything of it. We finally got curious enough to look at it and much to our surprise there are 2 giant holes where we can see through the whole dash. I don't feel this is very safe and i can understand the dash rotting but completely caving in is a bit ridiculous. This is obviously an issue with the manufacturing and not the owner and needs to be taken care of immediately.

- , Fort Huachuca, AZ, USA

Jan 012003

Ram 1500

The dashboard in my Dodge cracked to pieces after the warranty was out. The Dodge dealership I took it to did not acknowledge that this was a common problem with this model, which I have learned since was. It cost too much to fix at the dealership. I took it to several independent garages, but they did not want to mess with it because of the passenger's side airbag. I bought a dash cover and have just learned to live with the cracked dashboard.

- , Kings Mountain, NC, USA

Apr 052010

Ram 1500

I found this site during a search for a solution. I'm now in a position to fix the problem myself, but after reading the reviews and the cost associated with doing it myself I believe a recall is justified. I've never had a dashboard crack like this on any of my other vehicles. The dashboard must have been made with poor materials. Dodge/Chrysler should admit the problem exists and fix it.

- , Concord, NC, USA

Jul 012007

Ram 1500 3.2L

I just want it fixed. The dash started cracking in 2007. now, the entire dash is full of holes

- , Dana, IN, USA

Sep 222006

Ram 1500 LX 5.9L

Have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup; the dash started to crack in the passenger side corner close to the windshield. It only took six months before the dash was so severely cracked and falling in on itself that I actually felt unsafe driving the vehicle. I don't want a dash cover, I want Dodge to stand by their product and replace these defective dashes at their expense. I will honestly not even consider buying another Dodge!

- , Mountain Home, ID, USA

Feb 012007

Ram 1500 V6

Dodge Ram 2000 Dashboard was defective. It cracked and fell apart after completely normal exposure to sun. I have never seen such defective interior trim.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Sep 302011

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

I would like to have the parts to fix it myself. I checked at dealer a new dash cost

700 $ to 800$ without labour. I wish to get an answer from the company as soon

as possible thank you.

- , Val D'Or, JQUÉBEC, Canada

Oct 012003

Ram 1500 6 cyl

I LIKE MY TRUCK BUT THE DASH HAS CRACKS ALL OVER AND IS FALLING APART. DODGE SHOULD DO A RECALL AND BE MADE TO REPLACE AT THEIR COST

NOT THE CUSTOMERS. I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED THAT DODGE HAS NOT STEPPED UP TO THE PLATE AND ADMITTED IT IS THEIR FAULT. SHAME ON THEM!!!! THINGS LIKE THIS COULD CAUSE THEM THEIR BUSINESS.

- , Denham Springs, LA, USA

Apr 052010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

My dash has cracked in multiple places - this type of problem shouldn't occur.

- , Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Jul 072007

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L V8

Echoing the complaints of the previous #159. An American-made vehicle's dashboard should last longer than 7 years!

- , Spring, TX, USA

Jun 032011

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.9L V8

The brackets for the glove box broke first, then the entire top of the dash fell in and crumbled to pieces. Not only does this look like hell but the vents are rattling all over even when driving at 20mph. Several pieces fell in so far I can't get them out and it's distracting while on the road, which can lead to an accident. As a side note my GPS system fell in as well and its screen broke, which should be replaced at dodge's expense as well.

- , ESCONDIDO, CA, USA