8.7

1. dodge should make this a major recall (84 reports)
  2. recall & replace at no cost to owner (73 reports)
  4. replace dashboard (24 reports)
  5. recall defective dash (4 reports)
  6. never buy another dodge (3 reports)
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Dodge Ram 1500:

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 11)

Jan 012006

Ram 1500 360

I would really liked this problem fixing, b/c replacing the dash board will cost me 800.0 0 and b/c this is a dodge truck problem that all dodge trucks have ,it would be real nice for Dodge to own up to it and fix it

- , Morton, MS, USA

Sep 012006

Ram 1500 1500 V8

All I can say is that I am just waiting for the dash to fall into itself. It is just like a shattered glass or mirror. I have never seen anything like this in my entire life and I'm almost 50 years old. It is RIDICULOUS to say the least! Very Unhappy - {:o( customer!

- , Boone, NC, USA

Oct 102007

Ram 1500 V6

I don't even remember exactly when my dashboard first started cracking! All of a sudden the few cracks which I assumed were from the heat, became a roadmap all over my dash. While driving huge chunks would cave it or fly out. My dash is now basically destroyed and non-existent. I am unable to buy a dash cap for it because it is so bad. I tried a year ago to have Dodge fix it. I REALLY thought this was an isolated incident. I jumped through all the hoops that Dodge asked me too, then suddenly the one "who could help me" wouldn't take or return my calls.

I finally caved in and decided to just fix it. Approximately $1200!!!! I am looking into how we can start a class action suit. I can't believe somebody hasn't already. I am beginning to call/email attorneys to see if we can get someone to represent us. Is anyone else interested in doing this???

- , Hendersonville, TN, USA

Jun 022010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

most of the dodge trucks ive seen have this problem it must have something to do with the company.they need to fix it

- , Clarence, MO, USA

May 062010

Ram 1500 SXT 5.2L

The material that the dash is made out of isn't made for hot and cold weather. The material is not that of quality plastic.

- , Rising Sun, MD, USA

Aug 152005

Ram 1500 3.2L V6

Furnished two additional pictures: Damage with a current Brake Tag and the Odometor which shows TODAYS MILAGE 30,800 and change......I was QUESTIONED by AutoBeef that 15,000 was too LOW in 2005,,,,,,,,,,Well it's 2010 and it just over 30,000......ENOUGH SAID!!

DODGE KNOWS HOW SERIOUS THIS ISSUE IS!!!! IF THEY CHOOSE NOT TO CORRECT SAME,,,,,I WILL CONTINUE TO TELL AND SHOW THE TYPE OF MATERIAL THEY CHOOSE TO USE, """""THE DASH IS AS THIN AS THE HOOD, AND THE WINGS OF OUR PLANE WERE THICKER! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ................

I AM NOT GOING TO FIX IT, IT IS JUST A TRUCK PURCHASED FOR HUNTING AND FISHING, THAT THE REASON FOR THE LOW MILAGE!!....

I NOW TRY TO SHOW IT TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS I CAN, AS OFTEN AS I CAN, UNTIL I DIE!!!!!!!!!!! $200.00 DASH OR MILLIONS IN LOST SALES???????

ONCE AGAIN,,,,,THEY GET TO CHOOSE..............

Update from Jun 25, 2010: DODGE OFFERED TO FIX THE DASH WITH A MINIMAL CHARGE TO ME!!!.........TOOK THEM 8 HOURS TO APPRAISE THE DAMAGE. A FEW DAYS LATER WE WERE INFORMED THAT OUR SHARE OF THE MINIMAL CHARGES WOULD BE $686.00 .................A NEW DASH @ JCWHITNEY IS $213.00 AND IT TAKES ANYONE WITH A FEW SKILLS 3 HOURS TO CHANGE..........WHY DODGE GAVE US THIS RUNAROUND IS BEYOND MY ABILITY TO COMPREHEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT THEY HAVE LOST US AND ANYONE WHO WILL LISTEN AS A CUSTOMER FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH, HIS NAME WAS DAVID WITH CHRYSLER. (NOT TO BE TRUSTED)

- , Metairie, La, USA

May 242010

Ram 1500

The dash started as just a crack about 2 months ago and now the whole upper portion of the dash is gone. The only solution I see is just to replace it and that is going to cost about 450.00 and dodge cant say they had no idea with the number of complaints that have been filed. I am going to take photos and post them because if Dodge refuses to make some concessions and help with replacement cost on their own we consumers should file a class action suite against them. Seems to be the only way people are getting any relief from "Big Business"

- , Harrisburg, AR, USA

Jan 092004

Ram 1500 1500 V6

What can I say it's a significantly damaged dashboard which is quite annoying since hearing that this happened a lot.

- , Laredo, TX, USA

Jun 122008

Ram 1500 360 V8

One hot June day I went out to my truck, which was sitting in my driveway, and noticed that my dash had five large spider web looking cracks. These cracks were not done by any brute force or accident, but by merely the heat of the afternoon Michigan sun and the poor quality of the plastic. Dodge knows there was a problem in the quality of their plastic dashboards and has done nothing to fix the situation. If this doesn't get fixed through a dodge recall, this will be the last dodge product I purchase and will do my best to spread the word.

- , Muskegon, MI, USA

Apr 022008

Ram 1500 1500 5.2L

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

In these photo's my dash is dirty because I don't put any liquid on it, I'm afraid of more cracks.

Dodge knows of this issue, we as Dodge owners are still dealing with this, but what really makes me angry is that this is a safety issue. I've read where others have pieces falling into the wiring for steering, airbags, etc, with these being jammed or cut.

This has changed my opinion about Dodge drastically. I bought this vehicle due to a total loss of my GMC truck due to Hurricane Rita.

Would I recommend a Dodge to anyone? Not on your life because they don't stand behind us, the consumers.

- , Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jun 012009

Ram 1500 5.3L

The cracked dash makes my truck look like SH*T! There is a big hole and sharp edges so there is also a safety issue.

- , Herkimer, NY, USA

Sep 202008

Ram 1500 5.2L

Very good Truck - but certainly the last Chrysler/Dodge ever!

- , North Augusta, SC, USA

Jan 062006

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

After many many years of cracking, it finally happened. I know have a HUGE hole in my dash, about a foot wide and from the windshield to the trim peice (which is also cracked). I emailed Dodge customer service stating what happened and that the radio wires are now exposed. As you can see from their response, Dodge does not plan on addressing this issue. Has anyone started a class action lawsuit?

MY EMAIL: As I have read in so many places I am not alone in my issue. I have a 2000 RAM 1500 that I purchased new in 2000 and have to say somewhat pleased. The 1 complaint I have is the cheap plastic dash that was used. It stated probably 6 years ago with a little crack and then another, then another. Now it is at a point that the enter middle section has disintegrated and I now have a 1 foot hole, exposing all the inner dash components, including electrical wires. I have inquired about purchasing another dash and bezel and feel like I am being ripped off at $550/$350, NOT including labor, just to have it crack in a couple of year. COME ON! Right now I have a towel stuffed in there to prevent items from dropping down. As you can imagine, that is NOT attractive No matter how overall happy I am with my truck, this one issue like MANY MANY other dodge owners(probably all 2000 RAM owners) face, is enough for me to question the my loyality and the care you provide your cusotmers. My question to you is what is Dodge doing to rectify this issue and keep its loyal customers? Thanks, Phil

THEIR RESPONSE: Dear Phil:

Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center.

Your concerns, particularly in view of the expense and inconvenience involved in this issue, are understandable. However, your request for consideration in this matter must be declined, because the vehicle in question has exceeded the time or mileage limitations of the manufacturer's warranty at the time the expense was incurred. Although a more favorable reply could not be provided, sharing your concern with us is appreciated.

Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely, Jay

Customer Service Representative Chrysler Customer Assistance Center

- , Aurora, CO, USA

Dec 122000

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L V8

Dodge just needs to own up to this problem and do right by their customers.

- , Killeen, TX, USA

Jan 052007

Ram 1500 5.9L

This problem with the crack in the dashboard started in around 2004 when we bought used and has gotten to large holes in the dash size of golf ball. I really feel that Dodge should provide replacements as this type of part is not easily available and costly to the customer. I would most likely not buy from Dodge again.

- , Oxnard, CA, USA

Dec 182009

Ram 1500 STL V8 360

I bought my Dodge Ram 1500 used June 2007 with one (1) small 1/2 crack by the window vents. It is now December 2009, and I have nine (9) cracks that are over 12 inches long! My husband's 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 cracked so bad that the cracks all met up with each other and he has two huge holes in his dashboard (big enough for a foam football to fit in). I think this should be a recall, there is no reason for this what-so-ever. We take good care of our trucks because they are an investment and now they look like trash because of the junk material Dodge uses for their dashboards. The junk yards around here can not keep dashboards in stock because everyone is needing to replace them! Why can't Dodge own up to their mistakes and fix them? Toyota owned up to their ordeal.....I should have bought that Ford truck I was originally looking at.

- , Coolville, OH, USA

Apr 142009

Ram 1500 1500 5.2L

Dodge needs to recall these trucks and make good on there screw up

- , Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Sep 012007

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

everyone i know that has a dodge truck has a badly cracked dash or barley any dash left for that matter, it is ridiculous that dodge ignores this problem. something should be done.

- , Fountain Inn, SC, USA

Jun 152003

Ram 1500 5.L V8

Wow. So Dodge can't make a truck that lasts? Unbelievable that there are so many complaints about the paper-thin dashboards that crack like eggshells. Same story here. My truck is a 2000 model with only 45,000 miles on it. It's in perfect shape, oh ... except for the dash. Real nice, Dodge. Can't even sell this beautiful truck for what it's worth because of the dash. Makes it look like the truck's been wrecked. My dash has 8-10 LARGE cracks (I stopped counting) with whole sections loose and caving in. Unless Dodge proves they really know how to put a truck together (and keep it together) I am moving on to a company that understands the customer is right. Dodge, you've lost me. Why buy a Dodge when you know a Ford or Toyota would NEVER refuse to recall something so pervasive? My little voice in this mess will make no difference... Dodge doesn't need me ... and I sure don't need them. Looks like Dodge trucks are not all they're cracked up to be ... except for their dashboards.

- , Richmond, KY, USA

Jan 012007

Ram 1500 5.9L

We own a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 truck. For the past several years, cracks have appeared on the dash, and now chunks of the dashboard have completely broken off, fell out, of fallen down inside the dash area. I have read many MANY complaints regarding this problem. It appears that Chrysler is ignoring this issue that thousands of people are having.

I have consulted an attorney about a possible class action lawsuit. In a nutshell, this firm wants to see a large number of claimant's before it will consider accepting this.

If you have an issue with your dashboard cracking/breaking, please e-mail me at dodgelawsuit@yahoo.com.

I need to know your name, e-mail address where you may receive updates, and the year, make and model of your vehicle.

Please spread the word to others who may have this issue.

I will update those who e-mail as information becomes available.

- , Pasadena, TX, USA