8.0

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Dodge Ram 1500:

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

May 052011

Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 5.9L V8

I like to go offroading and explore the forests around tahoe and driving through the desert, thats why I bought my truck. The first time I took it off road (the day I bought it) i came to a pretty steep hill, put it in 4 wheel low and started to creep up the hill. About 10 feet up the hill my truck started making this horrible noise, like if I were to hit a piece of metal with a sledge hammer once every 2-5 feet depending on how steep it was. In addition to the noise it seemed as if the engine would let go of the drivetrain, just for a second, and the re-engage. But it only happens in 4 wheel high and low, not in 2wd. The Dodge dealers both the one in Reno and Carson City want upwards of $400 to rip it apart and diagnose anything. I do want to say the problem is in the transfer case or the front diff, but I'm not sure.

- , Reno, NV, USA