8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (373 reports)
  2. replace dash (114 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 10 of 30)

Sep 012009

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

My dash has cracked so bad that BIG pieces are falling off. I'm afraid that my child is going to get hurt due to the fact that these are very very sharp pieces. I now have huge holes in my dash, and am afraid that the rest is going to fall off at any point. Its not due to wear and tear its because they obviously built the dash with the wrong product. I'm not the only one with this problem. I have many friends that have dodge trucks and its also happening to their vehicles as well. I don't have the money to put a new dash in my truck. Have looked for replacement parts but it shouldn't be me paying to have this problem fixed. Dodge needs to have a recall and get this under control. I'm also afraid that if I did wreck there is nothing there to protect me. And then the pieces would just become hazardous. Especially the fact there is an air bag behind the dash. I have to keep mine turn offed because I don't something to go wrong. I'm afraid that they are going to wait until someone gets hurt or killed then decide to recall. Very wrong on their part.

- , Nicholasville, KY, USA

Feb 282007

Ram 1500 Slt Laramie 5.9L V8

Bought the truck in '07 from an old man that had a carpet dash cover on it,on the way home i slide my hand under it and cut myself on jagged pieces of dash! There where large pieces of dash missing and later i had to replace the heater core which you have to remove the dash to do that left me with nothing on top by the time i was done. I looked into replacing it but its costly and having stumbled across this site am happy i didnt because obviously its not just my dash. I cannot believe an "American" auto company would put out something this bad and not do anything to fix it, I think a recall is in order!

- , Meadowlands, MN, USA

Jun 152005

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

Piece of crap, and they want way too much to fix!!

- , Ekron, KY, USA

Mar 012010

Ram 1500

not exactly sure when it cracked, but last spring I got into the truck an noticed a big crack in the dashboard on the passenger side

- , Murfreesboro, TN, USA

May 032003

Ram 1500 ST 5.2L V8

IT STARTED AS A SMALL CRACK. NOW THE WHOLE TOP OF THE DASH IS GONE. IT JUST FELL APART PIECE BY PIECE. CHEAPEST DASHBOARD I HAVE EVER SEEN IN A VEHICLE!!! NOW I NOTICED THE GLOVE BOX IS STARTING TO CRACK TO. CANNOT BELIEVE SOMETHING THIS CHEEP CAME IN A TRUCK.

- , Piedmont, AL, USA

Nov 012003

Ram 1500 LS V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

After seeing all of the complaints about 2001 Dodge Ram dash board cracking how can this not be a recall. My dash board is cracking so bad that I have to get it fixed with my own money. Ive seen cars from the 70's that has dash boards in good shape, and my truck is a 2001 WTF!!! I called the Lewisville, Tx Huffines Dodge and they said they could do nothing about this, and thats not right. Little story- I got my truck inspected and when the guy put my sticker on his hand went through the dash board leaving a huge hole. I almost took the place to court because I

thought they damaged my dash. I apologized a week later when I saw all the complaints online. I hope Dodge will do the right thing and fix my dash! Until this happens I will not buy another Dodge.

- , Lewisville, TX, USA

Nov 032003

Ram 1500 Laramie/slt 5.2L

My dash has cracks all over it and it has never been parked outside for more than an hour! Cracks are covering it and im afraid its gonna fall through behind the brake pedal or something! I love dodge but they need to issue a recall this is bullshit making us pay for there sh*tty design work!

- , Troy, IL, USA

Dec 292008

Ram 1500

i brought the truck in o8 with 58k on it .i had it 2 months and the dash started cracking and they done nothing about .now the dash looks like sh*t.also my brother truck is the same.now my truck,the paint on the hood and top of cab is cheeping off.the truck looks like sh*t. you know i have had dodge trucks in my family for years now,i went from ford to dodge.but if it going to be like this,i will never buy a dodge again.which if i can get rid of this 2001,i will be back with ford 100 percent

- , Lexington, TN, USA

Jul 012008

Ram 1500 ST 3.9L V6

I have enjoyed my dodge truck. Very reliable. Looks like new on outside considering its a 2001. The dash board has large holes and is really hurts the true value of this truck.

Every time I see a similar model of this truck I look at the Dash. I have never seen ANY with out cracked dashes. The makers of this truck should be more than willing to fix this problem. Because of this I will never buy another Chrysler Product or will any one from my family.

- , Gonzales, LA, USA

Sep 012010

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.9L V8

I have owned nothing but Dodge vehicles my entire life. I had some paint issues with my 1985 Ram. I had decided after the clearcoat came off our 1994 Intrepid that I was through with Dodge, however a nice factory rebate incentive got me to buy this truck. Now this cracking dashboard has pretty much sealed the deal for me. Guess I'm a Ford man now.

- , Cherryville, NC, USA

Aug 012007

Ram 1500

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY CHRYSLER WONT COVER THE DASH . SO MANY OF US HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM . I AM EMBARRASSED BY THE UGLINESS AND AM AFRAID IT WILL HAVE A NEGATIVE IMPACT IF I WERE TO HAVE AN ACCIDENT. WILL MY AIR BAGS DEPLOY WILL THE CRUMPLE ZONE HOLD. WILL THE ELECTRICAL SHORT. THERE ARE SO MANY QUESTIONS . DOES DODGE HAVE AN ANSWER FOR US?

- , Mojave, CA, USA

Jul 132005

Ram 1500

I'm really upset to have a truck I love go to sh*t! I take it ever where and my friends don't want to because I've had to put two transmissions in it and the dash sucks! It's really upsetting to see a good truck go to sh*t when you take good care of it. I went from Ford and Chevy to Dodge. But the product just isn't pulling it's weight! I love it, but do I need to wait for another trany to go out or the whole to cave in with nothing in return? I'm really upset over this, I'm getting ready to retire from the military and don't have money for this foolish fix up stuff! After 20 some years in the military, I should be able to count on something. Dodge isn't helping matters!

- , Va Beach, VA, USA

Dec 012009

Ram 1500 LS 5.9L V8

I brought the 01 truck brand new and have had a windshield visor in the vehicle from day one. This truck's dash has not seen 24 hrs of daylight in a row ever in its life. The damage is not near as bad as I have seen on others including my 03 Ram. There is no reason whatsoever that I should have to pay for anything as I have done nothing wrong. This truck has been babied and only has 78,500 original miles on it. The only other complaint is the chrome peeling on the grille. Hopefully Dodge will do the right thing and fix all of the broken dashes as this is a widespread problem!!!

- , Crosby, TX, USA

Nov 182004

Ram 1500 5.5L V8

It's is awful and horrible, looks like a junk truck.

- , Bayamon, PR, Puerto Rico

Jan 082008

Ram 1500 Sport 3.6L

Dashboard started cracking and with in three months had several cracks extending from windshiled to the front. Then a triangular piece about 8 inches in diameter broke off leaving a big, with several cracks across the top. The plastic faceplate around the steering column and stereo has started cracking and now has several small cracks on the top part.

- , Lake Isabella, CA, USA

Jan 012005

Ram 1500

I love this truck, but this is such a pain, and with all the other complaints I have read, Dodge should DEFINATELY issue a recall. Who cares if the vehicle is not "new", it should not be in the condition it is in. We also own a 1976 Chevy truck, and the dash in it is flawless and it has been treated much harsher than the Dodge.

- , Waco, TX, USA

Sep 072006

Ram 1500 Larime 5.9L

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram1500 4x4 as well as alot of people on here do. I have the exact same problem....cracked dash all over,holes everywhere with chunks fallen through to I guess inside the dash. My main issue with this is you spend all the money to take care of an investment, your truck. And 5yrs or whatever later it was all for nothing bc you have a dash that has completely fallen apart and made your investment decrease to the amount of absolutely nothing. You cant sale it bc nobody else wants to deal with this issue and its so absurdly expensive you cant pay for it or don't want to. Believe me I am a die hard Ram truck fan but this issue needs to be taken care of. This is a truck that I love and have not had very many problems with except this major issue. I just want to suggest to dodge/chrysler/ram/fiat whoever you are now. You have alot of people who still have a nice vehicle except for the interior that can cause even more issues. Fix your problem instead of acting like you don't hear us, this is an issue that needs to be resolved. THANKS

- , Starkville, MS, USA

Jul 172006

Ram 1500 V8

The dashboard cracked on our 2001 Dodge Ram for no reason after owning it for about 5 months. It was 5 years old when we bought it. There should be a recall on this-it is so annoying how the dashboard has rattled ever since and it feels like the whole thing is about to fall off! Our cup holder also broke off for no reason shortly after.

- , Appleton, MN, USA

Jun 102001

Ram 1500 Lariat-4x4 5.9L

Dodge is notorious for the worst customer service in the industry--for me it goes all the way back to the late 60's early 70's! They simply don't care and their only mission in life is GREED!! I owned numerous Dodge trucks and never had this problem before-it is definitely a cut in product quality for PROFITS!! I think if these people had any decency what-so-ever or if the GOVERNMENT actually did their over paid job, a RECALL is definitely in order-there are MILLIONS of complaints on file!!! I had a 1976 Dodge 3500 4X4 that the front end went out 4 months after I purchased it brand new from the dealer. I was living in upstate NY where snowfall and snow plowing are a part of life. I took the vehicle to the dealer--they diagnosed the problem which was the bearing race spun due to faulty manufacturing specs causing the rear end housing to become egg shaped wiping out my entire ring and pinion cluster. Now here's where it gets better..........Dodge told me they had to order the parts under warranty and then fix the truck..........thinking ok, a week or two???? OH NO!! NO,NO,NO! It actually took them FIVE MONTHS----YES, that's -----5----FIVE months! Another dealer had a complete assembly sitting on the shelf in Albany,NY but dodge could never do anything simple! Instead some over paid IDIOT sitting in an office in North Carolina tells me WARRANTY PARTS have to come direct from the factory only! They don't have anyone within the corporation who has the common sense to determine that is their dumbest policy yet!!! DODGE is NOTORIOUS FOR BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE AND IT DOESN'T"T SEEM TO EVER CHANGE!!! That is why they are at the bottom of the pile and always will be!!! And for those Chevy and Fords lovers, it isn't much better over there except that you can buy parts for a Chevy ANYWHERE!!!! And yes I have owned a few and they have their issues too--just ask anyone who owns a 700R4 transmission----TOTAL JUNK!!!!

Update from Mar 27, 2011: And just to think you get all this bargain for $40,000! A truck that leaves the factory for somewhere in the $5000-$8000 area mysteriously presents itself on some dealers lot for $40,000! Now do you understand WHY Dodge doesn't want to hear anything about it?????

- , Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Dec 222005

Ram 1500 Magnum 5.2L V8

when it first started cracking I super glued it and it was only one straight crack. I blame a heavy weight friend of mine by leaning on it, he swore he didn't but because it was new I didn't believe him. But then it continued to spider crack everywhere. I super glued it again when pieces started falling out or in the dash. I suggested fiberglass but a friend that builds canoes said the odor would not be healthy. I'm left with at least a third of the dash. There has been lighters, smokes, keys, pens, ect. that has fell through the sink holes (that's what they look like) I have no major complaints about my dodge with the mileage I have on it. But when I first got it I son o a gun the dash, window rubbers , bumpers and back of mirrors and also had a sun shield in the window all the time because of fla sun. after the dash started cracking I switched to armoral, then Vaseline and wipeit down hoping it would save some of it. It did not matter.

- , Okeechobee, FL, USA