8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (373 reports)
  2. replace dash (114 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 12 of 30)

Sep 012008

Ram 1500 Chrome

this is about the cracked dashboard. it started with only one then more can after that. it is all together, it is not falling apart yet I am cleaning and putting armorall on it to keep the sun from drying it out

- , Wasilla, AK, USA

Nov 012007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

cruising around checking for dodge transmission problems, and found this site...i bought my ram new in 01. i noticed that the dash had started to crack right in the center. i thought it was just from me, since i am a little rough on my truck. i now know that this a major problem...

- , Sigourney, IA, USA

Dec 012005

Ram 1500 Magnum 5.7L V8

My whole dash has fallen apart. Even Glove compartment fell off. Had a rug cover when I bought it and previous owner said he put it there to protect from sun. The original cracks kept getting worse to where now I don't have a dash board. Wasted a lot of time on line trying to get replacement or some help but nothing. I love the truck but now I can't even sell it.

Update from Nov 19, 2010: Over a yr ago went to local Dodge (Greenway) in Orlando, FL. because my battery kept dying. Since the glove compartment had fallen off and I had tried to anchor it back in place the light insisde the glove compartment was staying on. That cost me to have it fixed. A simple fix but finding teh problem was costly. Pieces falling off is a safety hazard because I have to keep pushing the pieces back in place while driving.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 082010

Ram 1500 Regency 5.9L V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

So today I got on line to look up what it would cost to fix or replace the dash on my dodge truck, cover it, find one in a junk yard and replace it..you all know. And the first place i click on is this website, and i'm floored to see all the complaints about the sh*tty dash boards on all dodge trucks..I was suprised because I thought it was just my truck. I didn't know this was a problem.

This is the first dodge I have ever owned..and well over the course of the time that I have owned this vehicle I have replaced the transmission twice and the rear end twice..the second time the rear end went my husband was driving it and the yolk pulled away from the drive shaft...very scary. We argued with Chrysler as to why this would happen, they would do nothing, and we found that when they fixed it the first time they put the same pin to hold it in place back in..knowing that over time these parts expand and contract, and once you take them out U DON"T PUT THE SAME ONE BACK!!...DUH..After the first transmission fix we said to hell with Chrysler and bought a Jasper transmission....I think that pissed them off when we brought it back to them when the rear went out a second time.

So here is how it played out...Bought a 2001 1500 in 2004..it had 42,000 miles on it...2 weeks later the rear end goes out...they replace it...then the transmission goes out, we were 1 month outside the warranty they would do anything so we took and had a Jasper put in it, ...exactly 40,000 miles after the first rear going out the second one goes out...They wouldn't do any thing again...not suprising and then the jasper went out...and we were outside the warranty on that and jasper honored there product to us a put a new one in...We basically have put a new drive train on this truck...now the dash is a mess...I thought it was just my truck...now what....This was my first dodge...AND MY LAST.

- , Amelia, OH, USA

Nov 052010

Ram 1500 1500 V-6

I just found this site today. And, man, it is a relief to find others who are dealing with the same pain-in-the-ass issue with their Dodge vehicles. Like many others, the truck was flawless when I purchased it back in 2006. A year later, small cracks started showing in the dash. I really didn't pay it any attention. 2 years later the cracks became huge and very noticeable. Now, its November 2010, and the dashboard is pretty much caving in. I am "super-pissed." I have filed multiple complaints with Chrysler Dodge, and haven't gotten any where with them. I refuse to come out of pocket for this obvious design flaw. The plastic they use is so dense and hollow - it's ridiculous. I hope that I can unload this bull crap on some poor soul. I wish the government was still running that 'cash for clunkers' thing. I would unload this headache and get a Ford or Toyota. Dodge has lost me as a customer!!! If they don't come out with a recall soon, they should be dismantled and the execs should be FIRED!!! They are messing with peoples' livelihoods.

Good to get that off my chest.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Cracked dash in multiple places. I have glued the cracks as they appear. It gets worse by the week. I expect it to completely fall in. This is a VERY common problem and Dodge is losing customers daily on this problem alone. The quality is as poor as it gets and no wonder why American vehicles are questioned when problems like this are so prevalent. Typical "sell today, no manufacture backing later". Step up Dodge, or Mercedes, or whomever you are now.

- , Madison, MS, USA

Jan 272007

Ram 1500

Truck was bought in December 2001 new from the dealer. By 2005 we noticed significant cracks forming on dash top and the sunglass holder clip broke off and would not stay closed. Tried to keep it conditioned and covered but dash began breaking into pieces. Then eventually by January 2007 the entire dash and the front broke into millions of pieces exposing electrical components inside the vehicle. I do not let my children ride in the vehicle afraid that they may touch something and get hurt. I kept thinking that Dodge would issue a recall but have not heard anything since. The truck currently has 63,000 miles for a 2001. We do not drive as much due to the fear of getting hurt in the vehicle. To trade in the interior being the way it is depletes the value of the vehicle. So if they think this is not a hazard to drivers that is bull crap. What if I was to get in a wreck and a piece of the crap plastic flys into my body causily extreme damage or even death. Dodge should repair the issue. This needs to be recalled.

Began looking for other options when we started seeing other people with same problems. It's Sept. 2010 and we have no dash...front dash plastic now also cracking and breaking off...glovebox broke off...junk! Truck only has 46,000 miles on it. Looks new till you look inside! Will buy a Ford or Toyota Truck next time!

- , New Braunfels, TX, USA

Jun 012009

Ram 1500

The dash on the truck has cracked all the way across in two places, the truck has never been treated roughly, but I am wondering what would happen if I actually was in a accident is the dash going to crumble and not provide any protection at all.

- , Mount Airy, NC, USA

May 152004

Ram 1500 318

Dodge has to live up to their commitment to quality...if not, next time my next truck will definitely be a GMC.

- , Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jul 152004

Ram 1500 MAG 5.9L

I WOULD LIKE FOR DODGE TOO PAY TOO HAVE MY DASH REPLACED.

THERE'S NO WAY THAT MY DASH SHOULD HAVE CRACKED THAT BAD IN SO

LITTLE TIME.

I ALWAYS KEEP MY WINDOWS CRACKED A LITTLE AT ALL TIMES.

- , Ligonier, IN, USA

Oct 012006

Ram 1500 1500 5.9L

Dash Cover cracking (had to buy a dash cover to hide it) and recently the instrument bezel is not only cracking but falling apart, thank goodness for JP Weld! Love the truck but hate the way the dash looks...........

- , Fleming Island, FL, USA

Sep 182010

Ram 1500 V8

It's not just a small crack...it's a huge hole!!! It didn't just fall apart...it callapsed!!! I loved everything about my truck till this happened. Now I am embarrassed of it, it looks like crap!!! I won't buy another one, bet that!!!

- , Lowry City, MO, USA

Aug 032005

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

Dodge should pay to fix this. Paid $35,700.00 for truck and it didn't have a scratch. Since then my dash cracked and has been getting worse. With this stinking economy I don't have 700.00 to pay to fix it and I shouldn't have to since it seems to be a manufactures defect that happens as soon as a warranty runs out or they tell you your 's doesn't cover the dash. I have the Sport model which usually costs more to fix too.

- , Conway, AR, USA

Oct 012004

Ram 1500 4x4

Bought 1985 pickup right off the truck and 2000 Dodge Durango was also bought new. The 4x4 Ram 1500 was what I wanted, it was used with nothing wrong with the interior. Now the dashboard is crumbling until there is almost nothing left. I still have not replaced it.

- , Roebuck, SC, USA

Jul 102003

Ram 1500 5.9 LT MAGNUM

This should DEFINITELY be a Manufacturer Defect! Almost every RAM I see has this same problem. This needs to be a RECALL.! My truck is FLAWLESS , Except for the piece of crap dash. I have one of those DASH MATS on it but it dips down because so much of the dash is missing now.

- , Alexandria, LA, USA

Jul 212010

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.2

I noticed this problem when I returned from Iraq. My wife drove my truck a handful of times the year I was gone, but only a few hundred miles. She asked me on the phone how long it had been cracked. I dint notice it before I left. So between July, 2009, and July 2010 is when it happened. I definitely think Dodge should replace the dash, more as a safety issue than out of looks. I love the truck, and would definitely buy another Dodge. damn good truck

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Mar 012010

Ram 1500 2DR 3.9

DODGE SHOULD HAVE A RECALL ON THESE BAD DASHBOARDS OR HAVE THEM FIXED. MINE IS SPLIT RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE OF MY DASH. DEALER SAID IT WILL COST AT LEAST 700.00 DOLLARS TO FIX.

IF THIS IS A DEFECT WHY WON'T DODGE FIX THEM. IT'S NOT OUR PROBLEM IF IT IS BAD MATERIAL FROM THE FACTORY

- , Durham, NC, USA

Jun 052005

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I've read a ton of complaints about cracked dashes on Dodge Rams so I felt inclined to post. Originally it was just a couple of cracks and I had planned to put on a cover when I returned from deployment. The blender door in my A/C unit had stripped so I had to remove the dash to replace it. When I removed the screws from the dash, it crumbled and fell apart. Now I have gaping holes in my dash and don't even think there is enough dash left to attach a cover to. This is clearly a manufacturing defect and I'm now very concerned. I've read many complaints about exposed wiring. I now have this problem. I've spoken with a couple of master mechanics from Dodge off the record and they claim that even to this date Dodge is using the same process for dashboards. Dodge needs to issue a recall for this problem or at least pay for the replacement.

- , Middleburg, FL, USA

Jul 152005

Ram 1500 5.7L V8

life long dodge owner very disappointed in this problem. dodge should stand behind with a recall or compensation to all the owners.

- , Marshalltown, IA, USA

May 122009

Ram 1500 LX 3.2L V6

Went out from work and the dash had cracked straight across on the passanger side then it contued to break apart ,My question is what effect will this have on the air bag since it is mounted under the dash , I think dodge should replace each one since this was a defect on all the 1998 through 2006 they can not say it was from abuse.

- , Farmington, AR, USA