8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (373 reports)
  2. replace dash (114 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 17 of 30)

Oct 062009

Ram 1500 4X4 Off Road 318

Just recently I noticed a crack in the dash on the passenger side. It starts at the indentation above the glove box and is about 6 inches long. Today I was cleaning my truck and I see a new crack on the extreme left near the window pillar on the drivers side. This crack is about 3 inches long. When I googled for a possible fix I was shocked to find hundreds of other owners with the same problem. This really blows! Other problems..... The A/C quit working, but the most expensive was the trans torque converter replacement. The transmission just quit without warning. I parked at a grocery store and when I came out the truck wouldn't move in any gear. But this BS with the dash is crazy. From what I understand there is no way to stop it and the only fix is a new dash. I should have kept my Ford.

- , Saint Robert, MO, USA

Oct 012008

Ram 1500 1500

I just want Dodge to step up and act right. I support American autos- have all my life. Will never own foreign. BUT, such support needs to be acknowledged by Dodge and fixed!

Update from Apr 23, 2010: I called Chrysler customer support at 1-800-992-1997. My neighbor got his fixed after making a little noise. They opened a case and I will hear back from them by Monday, 4/26/10. I better anyway cause I ain't goin' away!

- , Ocala, FL, USA

Sep 012006

Ram 1500 SL 3.2L V6

I purchased this truck new in 2001. I work nights, so it is garaged during the day on all of my work days. On the little time it was in the sun, there is no way Dodge can implicate sunlight as the cause. The dash is still not faded in 2009, but the Dealerships continually tell me it is not covered under a recall. This truck was never wrecked, never used off road, and never driven hard ( it couldn't be, it's a 6 cylinder !!! ). If Dodge doesn't acknowledge defects in their products when they exist, maybe a class action law suit will wake them up. If anyone out there knows of one, please let me know so I can add my name.

- , Alexandria, LA, USA

Jan 292008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

I understand wear and tear. All the trucks I have own are usually wear and tear outside because of my line of work. But, for the inside I have always keep it up. I just couldn't understand why the dash went crazy cracking everywhere. Anything that Dodge can help would be greatly appreciated.

D Shotwell

- , Mebane, NC, USA

Dec 012003

Ram 1500

Cracked Dashboard Not covered by Dodge. Don't think vehicle only a few years old should have this problem...dash should last longer than that. Dodge should stand by their products and fix their defects...but they don't care. Had other problems with this Truck....will NEVER OWN ANOTHER DODGE !

- , Gainesville, FL, USA

Oct 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

what the hell is going on with the dash? i just bought my truck in august 2009. 8 year old truck with only 33k miles. the interior is mint or was. i noticed 2 small cracks in it about 2 weeks ago that were about 2'' long. they seem to have appeared over night. now they are all the way across the dash. i don't have the 6-800 to fix it. i talked with a friend of mine from Kentucky, his 1999 ram did the same and said his was assembled in Mexico. well i went back and looked at my sticker and low and behold mine was assembled in Mexico as well. has anyone had any luck with dodge replacing or even helping with the cost?

- , Henderson, NC, USA

Jan 122006

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I think that dodge should recall the dash boards on the trucks because of cracks. If anyone is interested in getting a class action lawsuit together let me know. jamesturner3824@yahoo.com

- , Mulberry, AR, USA

Aug 162007

Ram 1500 318 V8

I HAVE BOUGHT A 1500 RAM AND I KNEW THE PROBLEM OF THE DASHBOARD, AS A MATTER OF FACT THE DASH WAS CRACKED WHEN I BOUGHT IT USED. I AM AN AVID DODGE PERSON, I'VE OWNED A 1963 CHRYSLER 300 WITH PUSHBUTTON AUTO. TRANS. I GOT FROM MY GRANDMOTHER GOD REST HER SWEET SOUL. I'VE OWNED A 1973 DODGE TRADESMAN 100 VAN WITH 3 ON THE TREE THAT I CONVERTED TO 2 SHIFTERS ON THE FLOOR, I KNOW WHY 2 SHIFTERS, BUT IT WAS SWEET, ONE SHIFTER FOR 1st AND REVERSE AND THE OTHER FOR 2nd AND 3rd, EACH HAVING THEIR OWN NEUTRAL. ANYWAYS I'VE ALSO OWNED A 1994 PLYMOUTH VOYAGER THAT HAS GOTTEN ME FROM HELL TO VICTORY IN IT'S RESPECTED PLACE. I NOW OWN A 1998 PLYMOUTH VOYAGER AND 2001 DODGE RAM 1500 THAT I AM VERY SATISFIED WITH, OTHER THAN KNOWING THAT DODGE HAS HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE DASH AND NO PLANS TO FIX IT. LISTEN DAIMLER-CHRYSLER IT'S PEOPLE LIKE ME THAT HAVE BEEN DEDICATED TO THE DODGE FAMILY FOR MANY MANY YEARS TO TELL YOU THAT YOU MUST FIX THIS PROBLEM. I AM THE LOYAL DODGE FAN THAT WILL DRIVE A DODGE UNTIL THE DAY I DIE KNOWING THAT THE TRUCK I BOUGHT HAD DASH PROBLEMS; HOWEVER YOU DO NOT WANT AMERICA THINKING DIFFERENTLY ABOUT YOUR PRODUCT, YOU MUST THINK ABOUT THE CONSUMER. I HOPE TO SEE A CHANGE VERY SOON AND AM VERY DISAPPOINTED TO SEE THAT THE #1 TRUCK IN AMERICA TODAY IS A ford, FOLLOWED BY CHEVY, AND THIRD IS DODGE, FURTHERMORE, I DO OWN A 1984 CHEVY S10 BLAZER WITH 180,000 MILES ON IT AND IS STILL GOOD AS NEW AND HAS NEVER BEEN IN THE SHOP FOR ANY RECALLS OR MAJOR REPAIRS. DODGE GUYS YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A PROBLEM AND YOU NEED TO FIX IT OR ELSE OTHER AMERICANS ARE GOING TO KEEP BUYING CHEAP IMPORTS THAT THEY CONSIDER A BETTER BARGAIN. IF WE DON'T KEEP THE TRADITION OF GOOD QUALITY AMERICAN MADE MANUFACTURING ALIVE THEN WE'VE GIVEN IN AND SOLD OUR SOULS TO THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR. FIX IT.

- , West Columbia, SC, USA

Sep 272009

Ram 1500 V6

Huge crack just appeared one day from front to back of dash on drivers side near center

- , Sugar Land, TX, USA

Mar 152004

Ram 1500 XLS 5.2L V8

Over the last 5 years I've read hundreds if not thousands of complaints on Dodge Ram 1500 dashboards falling apart. I took mine to the local dealer in 2005 and they said it was a sun problem and it would cost $850 to replace it. I'm glad to say that dealer has been closed becuase of the resession. I can't believe that with so many complaints that some hotshot lawer has not offered to file a class action law suite.

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

May 012004

Ram 1500 360

Dodge needs to recall this they seem to think its not dangerous enough but these parts are falling in the vents and blocking up the a/c which is adding another problem besides the fact that it can be harmful to my children if they hit it wrong and get cut on it. If my children or wife gets cut on this and needs medical attention you can bet dodge will be getting the bill from my attorney

- , Lecanto, FL, USA

Mar 022009

Ram 1500 1500 5.9L

This is a huge safety hazard! The heat from the sun is going to melt insulation on the wiring.

- , Cumberland, MD, USA

Sep 122009

Ram 1500 SLT 3.9L V8

An update on my previous post. My dash has proceeded to crack ALL OVER the place! There is one HUGE crack on the passenger side, right from the heating vent by the windshield to the passenger side airbag cover (where that piece of plastic stops). I'm going to have to replace the entire dash soon, because if the cracks continue to spread, I'll have pieces coming off. What a pain in the ass.

- , North Creek, NY 12853, USA

Mar 012008

Ram 1500 5.9L

WHAT THE HELL! I work for G.M. I buy a Dodge truck and the dash board gets a new crack in it once a month. The cup holder fell apart and the top lights fixers and holders broke off. The dash board is a saftey hazzard for me and my family. Dodge would you like to be taken off the market,because it is looking that way. Make the recall before someone gets killed by a air bag or something else.

- , Warren, OH, USA

Mar 152008

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

I can't believe Dodge hasn't issued a recall or even addressed the problem.

I've just watched the cracks get worse and worse.

Looks like CRAP.

- , Redding, CA, USA

Feb 012005

Ram 1500

Dash first started cracking in 2005. 4 years later, it has big holes. Dealer said it was due to sun but it has always had a windshield cover when parked outside even for a short time. Never seen other vechicles do this in the sun.

- , Piedmont, SC, USA

May 042008

Ram 1500 Sport V8

I will not purchase another Dodge. I have been a Dodge person for a very long time and am extremely disappointed with the appearance of the dash. I take extremely good care of my truck and really like it but the dash makes it look trashy.

Update from Aug 16, 2013: Now the dash has completely fallen apart. This will be the last Dodge that I purchase this dash issue is a large one and I feel that Dodge should have recalled these trucks and fixed the problem. Once again, I am very disappointed and although I have been a die hard Dodge person, I now refer folks to a competitor.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 012005

Ram 1500 V6

My 2001 Dodge Ram pick-up has been fairly reliable for the most part, but it started with one little crack and within 6 months or so the dash has lost huge chunks. It looks like crap. I have always taken care of vehicles and this is definitely a manufacturing problem.

- , Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Aug 062004

Ram 1500 V8

I just went out one morning to go to work and there were cracks in the dash. It has completely caved in. This issue with this make and model is outrageous and the mfg needs to stand behind it. This was my husbands truck and he is died a few months prior to this happening. This truck means alot to me but I can not afford to fix the problem. It shows me what Dodge mfg thinks of their customers. They should be forced to recall the dash.

- , Dover, AR, USA

Jul 012006

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

This is the worst thing ever from any vehicle I have owned!!! Most all the dash has fallen in and have huge gaping holes now.HELP!!!!

- , Livingston, TX, USA