8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (373 reports)
  2. replace dash (114 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 18 of 30)

Oct 012006

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Yet another cracked dashboard for dodge. Two cracks which run from the windshield to the font of the dash, Last one I will buy. Ford looks like it might be a good choice.

- , G-town, KY, USA

Jun 012007

Ram 1500 ES 5.2L V8

Appears to be the same problem as everyone else. I'll be looking at a different make next truck.

- , Cape MAy Court House, NJ, USA

Aug 272009

Ram 1500 1500 5.9L V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I am really disappointed at Dodge for not being up front on the dash, I paid a lot of money for my truck, I would expect better service from an American company, That is whay a have several Toyota's

- , Olympia, WA, USA

Jun 012006

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

I bought this 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9L V8 BRAND NEW to pull a camper and for hauling "stuff". I purchased an extended warranty (7 yrs./70,000 miles). In June of 2006, with only 36,000 miles on it, I had to have the transmission replaced. When I took it to the dealer I noticed a small hairline crack in the dash. I didn't think it was worth mentioning at the time and that the dealer would just tell me it was usual wear. Here it is only three years later (55,000 miles) and now the dash has six large cracks from the passenger side airbag to the driver's side, where the cracks are connected. It appears I am about to have a large hole in the dash above the instrument panel. I am just now finding out this is not an isolated incident. I got on the net to look for a replacement dash and BOOM!! I find hundreds of other complaints from Dodge Ram owners who are experiencing the exact same thing. How in the world can the Chrysler Corporation see all of these complaints about the same defective part and NOT admit they have a problem? How can the Chrysler Corporation NOT do the right thing and pay to have these dashes replaced? How can the Chrysler Corporation NOT take care of their customers? Well, a big time rv manufacturer recently went belly-up siting the tough economic conditions. However, their demise is more likely the result of pushing out a piss poor product for the last ten years. I know this first hand as I was one of their victims. Man, I guess I'm going to start spending a little more money to get a quality product that will last and the company will stand behind. Today's Chrysler Corporation obviously does not fit into that category. It is a shame because I have been a mopar man since buying a 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner when I was 17. Wish I still had it!!

Update from Oct 13, 2009: Ok, I called Chrysler Customer Care and the lady was very nice. She had me take my truck to a local authorized service department to get "diagnosed". When the service manager saw the six large cracks (about 10-12 total cracks), she said there was definitely a problem and would call Chrysler back. She also warned me and said she didn't think Chrylser would do anything due to the age of my truck. A few days later, the nice lady from Chrysler called me and advised they would replace the dash BUT I would have to pay a $265 "co-pay". Rather than argue and risk getting nothing at all, I accepted the offer. I figure this is probably half off their price and would be more if I was to go and have it repalced on my own. I really didn't expect them to do it for free anyway. Now my truck will look practically new again. The real bummer is I could have had it done for free under the extended warranty I purchased when I bought the truck. However, I was misinformed by the dealer that this was not covered and the warranty expired just last year. This dealer is no longer in business either.

- , Danville, IL, USA

Aug 102009

Ram 1500

The air Conditioning Coil went bad and as soon as the screws on the dash were loosened, The dash cracked in two places. Approximately 3 inch cracks. Won't buy Dodge again.

- , Dayton, OH, USA

Jul 012008

Ram 1500 V6

I drive two 2001 dodge ram 1500's. One is my personal vehicle and the other my work truck and both of the dash boards are almost completely caved in. At first with my personal pick-up I thought it was my habitual use of armor all. Once the dash in my work truck started falling apart I knew it wasn't what I had done, rather dodge puts shisty (new word feel free to use it) dash boards in their pickups.

- , Seminole, TX, USA

Oct 052003

Ram 1500 318 V8

The top of my dashboard is

gone!!! It completely fell in pieces and chunks. Thought the first crack was a minor problem.....but he_ _ dodge you really screwed up this time, and big time!!!! You fly to Washington and cry and beg for a bailout so you can make more s_ _ _ like this!!! I think the gov. should have bought us all a new dashboard and told you to go take a flying leap!!!! I'll never buy another Dodge product again. Congress should have given your bail out money to Ford and GM and let you go sell pencils on the corner.

- , Abingdon, VA, USA

Aug 122009

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.9L V8

This truck was for sale with a used car dealer. It has a hairline crack on the dashboard. Before I buy it, I wanted to know what Dodge was doing about the problem. The Dodge representative at 800-992-1997 said "take it to a dealorship for diagnosis" and there was a possibility that I could get some help with the dashboard. When I said that I had not purchased it yet & it had a crack, the response was " If you have bought it used with the problem, Dodge won't help with it since you knew about the problem at purchase time."

Humm. I called the used car dealor. He said he would glue the crack. Humm. Not good enough, if the complaints are any indication. The glue fix does not fix it, right?

I have not purchased the truck. I don't have money to pay for a vehicle that will fall apart in the plastic parts. Am I right?

- , Junction, TX, USA

Oct 102006

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

I feel that this is a flaw by dodge manufacturers. I am very displeased at how fast one tiny crack spread into chaos! no ones' dash should fall in on it's self like this. i put a dash cover on it at the first sign of the crack, and it seemed to worsen over the years under that matt. one day i just pulled the mat off, and to my surprise, there was gaping holes! i think the dealership should have to pay for this sort of thing, as well as the cup holder problems.

Update from Aug 13, 2009: the disassembley of this dash is absolutely ridiculous! and i am NOT looking forward to putting it all back together. i am so sad at the crack that is in the actual dash interior, as it is not so easily fixed with a new dash top.

- , Grand Junction, CO, USA

Aug 092009

Ram 1500

My dash is just falling apart as I drive down the road. The other day I got hit in the face with a piece of plastic dash and kinda swerved a bit.

- , Deltona, FL, USA

Jan 182006

Ram 1500 V8

Please issue a recall. You have more than enough complaints and no one can afford to lose more customers to foreign auto companies

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jul 072007

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

I always cracked my windows and washed and armor all the interior but I started to get a crack in the dash now its just falling apart. Now everyday I remove a little more from the dash. I have a huge hole right in the middle of my dash that you can see from outside of the truck and see the vents for the heat and a/c. I hope a lawyer sees this and start a class action lawsuit!

Update from Apr 6, 2010: This truck is a piece of s__t. I will never ever buy a dodge, chrysler, or jeep for the rest of my life. The dash is completely gone , on a quiet night you can hear the dash cracking. All the doors are rusting. Driving to work the trans just went out without any warning. I brought this truck in '04 with 29000 miles. I have rebuilt the rearend, I have a rebuilt engine, and I just had the trans rebuilt at 95000 miles. This is a joke, I guess I will go back to my chevy and fords!!!!!!

- , Dyer, IN, USA

Aug 052009

Ram 1500

Just noticed a crack on the front edge of my Dodge Ram 1500 truck's dash. I have a dashmat for protection but it doesn't cover the front edge. I've been researching this and have found that it seems to be a huge problem. Some of the horror stories have me worried since this just started for me. I've emailed Dodge and am waiting a reply. I agree, since this seems to be a defect and a BIG problem that a class action lawsuit should be brought against Chrysler. Any lawyers out there? This is huge and I'm sure a lawsuit would be successful given the number of complaints out there. I'm looking into the situation. Later...

- , Alturas, CA, USA

Jun 012009

Ram 1500 V8

UGGHHH...MAKES ME SICK EVERY TIME I HIT A SPEED BUMP AND PART OF MY DASH FALLS APART! I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THIS. DODGE NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS. I AM A SINGLE MOM OF TWO SONS THAT I RAISE BY MYSELF AND WAS RECENTLY LAID OFF...ITS A HUGE EYE SORE!!! GET OFF YOUR @SS DODGE!!!

- , Navasota, TX, USA

Dec 122008

Ram 1500 LX 3.8L

i dont understand dodge not standing by the trucks. it seems more than alot of the trucks have this proublem. sure like to yell and kick some ass but the dash would still be busted all to...

- , Apex, NC, USA

Jul 012009

Ram 1500 Off-Road 5.9L V8

The truck runs and looks great and I have taken very good care of it. It annoys me that Dodge won't acknowledge and fix the problem. I paid too much for the truck for it to fall apart.

Update from Jul 15, 2009: Response from Chrysler:

Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center. Your concerns, particularly in view of the expense and inconvenience involved in this issue, are understandable. However, your request for consideration in this matter must be declined, because the vehicle in question has exceeded the time or mileage limitations of the manufacturer's warranty at the time the expense was incurred. Although a more favorable reply could not be provided, sharing your concern with us is appreciated. Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely, Carol Customer Service RepresentativeChrysler Customer Assistance Center

- , Anderson, IN, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 5.8L

Our 2001 dodge pickup has a dash board that is completely falling apart and the hole is getting bigger. The body and motor of the truck is in good condition and when you open the door to get in it looks like s--t!

- , Akers, LA, USA

Mar 012009

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.2L V8

So i have driven dodge my entire life i own 3 vehicle all the dodge

1975 dodge w100 power wagon 4x4

1967 charger r/t

2001 dodge ram 1500

the first two have served me well and performed great but the new piece of sh*t ram dash fell apart and my coffee spilled all over my damn leg and burnt me while driving to work after my cup holder fell apart. I wonder what the hell dodge is doing. get your head out of your ass. i parked the new truck and i'm driving the old power wagon til dodge replaces my dash for the second! time. I paid for the extended warranty and they honor it but you would think that after they replaced it the first time they would have done it right.

- , mesa, az, USA

Jun 232009

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT Magnum V8

Bought the truck used, in great shape, except for dash, which is a piece of s--t. No help from dealer, and just found out how extensive this problem is. I'm afraid to turn on the airbag on the passengers side, the dash would be like a bomb. I can't believe how thin the dash, bezel are.

- , Colville, WA, USA

Dec 012008

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

I bought this truck as my very first vehical ever and saved up alot of money to get a quality one. I went with dodge thinking they were a good dealer at the time and would honor me the customer. I was wrong, with the dash breaking and cracking its cheaply made and there is plenty of cases out there where its happened for evidence. With this they are diging themselves in a bigger whole because if someone dies by the dash falling in a causing a fire they will have a larger lawsuit on their hands then it would to replace them. They could have had a life time buyer but i think they screwed up on this. I dont think i will buy dodge again, i'll stick to Chevy or GMC now. Unless they do something about it.

- , Missouri Valley, IA, USA