1. Dodge should issue a recall (372 reports)
  2. replace dash (111 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 18 of 30)

Aug 102009

Ram 1500

The air Conditioning Coil went bad and as soon as the screws on the dash were loosened, The dash cracked in two places. Approximately 3 inch cracks. Won't buy Dodge again.

- , Dayton, OH, USA

Jul 012008

Ram 1500 V6

I drive two 2001 dodge ram 1500's. One is my personal vehicle and the other my work truck and both of the dash boards are almost completely caved in. At first with my personal pick-up I thought it was my habitual use of armor all. Once the dash in my work truck started falling apart I knew it wasn't what I had done, rather dodge puts shisty (new word feel free to use it) dash boards in their pickups.

- , Seminole, TX, USA

Oct 052003

Ram 1500 318 V8

The top of my dashboard is

gone!!! It completely fell in pieces and chunks. Thought the first crack was a minor problem.....but he_ _ dodge you really screwed up this time, and big time!!!! You fly to Washington and cry and beg for a bailout so you can make more s_ _ _ like this!!! I think the gov. should have bought us all a new dashboard and told you to go take a flying leap!!!! I'll never buy another Dodge product again. Congress should have given your bail out money to Ford and GM and let you go sell pencils on the corner.

- , Abingdon, VA, USA

Aug 122009

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.9L V8

This truck was for sale with a used car dealer. It has a hairline crack on the dashboard. Before I buy it, I wanted to know what Dodge was doing about the problem. The Dodge representative at 800-992-1997 said "take it to a dealorship for diagnosis" and there was a possibility that I could get some help with the dashboard. When I said that I had not purchased it yet & it had a crack, the response was " If you have bought it used with the problem, Dodge won't help with it since you knew about the problem at purchase time."

Humm. I called the used car dealor. He said he would glue the crack. Humm. Not good enough, if the complaints are any indication. The glue fix does not fix it, right?

I have not purchased the truck. I don't have money to pay for a vehicle that will fall apart in the plastic parts. Am I right?

- , Junction, TX, USA

Oct 102006

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

I feel that this is a flaw by dodge manufacturers. I am very displeased at how fast one tiny crack spread into chaos! no ones' dash should fall in on it's self like this. i put a dash cover on it at the first sign of the crack, and it seemed to worsen over the years under that matt. one day i just pulled the mat off, and to my surprise, there was gaping holes! i think the dealership should have to pay for this sort of thing, as well as the cup holder problems.

Update from Aug 13, 2009: the disassembley of this dash is absolutely ridiculous! and i am NOT looking forward to putting it all back together. i am so sad at the crack that is in the actual dash interior, as it is not so easily fixed with a new dash top.

- , Grand Junction, CO, USA

Aug 092009

Ram 1500

My dash is just falling apart as I drive down the road. The other day I got hit in the face with a piece of plastic dash and kinda swerved a bit.

- , Deltona, FL, USA

Jan 182006

Ram 1500 V8

Please issue a recall. You have more than enough complaints and no one can afford to lose more customers to foreign auto companies

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jul 072007

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

I always cracked my windows and washed and armor all the interior but I started to get a crack in the dash now its just falling apart. Now everyday I remove a little more from the dash. I have a huge hole right in the middle of my dash that you can see from outside of the truck and see the vents for the heat and a/c. I hope a lawyer sees this and start a class action lawsuit!

Update from Apr 6, 2010: This truck is a piece of s__t. I will never ever buy a dodge, chrysler, or jeep for the rest of my life. The dash is completely gone , on a quiet night you can hear the dash cracking. All the doors are rusting. Driving to work the trans just went out without any warning. I brought this truck in '04 with 29000 miles. I have rebuilt the rearend, I have a rebuilt engine, and I just had the trans rebuilt at 95000 miles. This is a joke, I guess I will go back to my chevy and fords!!!!!!

- , Dyer, IN, USA

Aug 052009

Ram 1500

Just noticed a crack on the front edge of my Dodge Ram 1500 truck's dash. I have a dashmat for protection but it doesn't cover the front edge. I've been researching this and have found that it seems to be a huge problem. Some of the horror stories have me worried since this just started for me. I've emailed Dodge and am waiting a reply. I agree, since this seems to be a defect and a BIG problem that a class action lawsuit should be brought against Chrysler. Any lawyers out there? This is huge and I'm sure a lawsuit would be successful given the number of complaints out there. I'm looking into the situation. Later...

- , Alturas, CA, USA

Jun 012009

Ram 1500 V8

- , Navasota, TX, USA

Dec 122008

Ram 1500 LX 3.8L

i dont understand dodge not standing by the trucks. it seems more than alot of the trucks have this proublem. sure like to yell and kick some ass but the dash would still be busted all to...

- , Apex, NC, USA

Jul 012009

Ram 1500 Off-Road 5.9L V8

The truck runs and looks great and I have taken very good care of it. It annoys me that Dodge won't acknowledge and fix the problem. I paid too much for the truck for it to fall apart.

Update from Jul 15, 2009: Response from Chrysler:

Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center. Your concerns, particularly in view of the expense and inconvenience involved in this issue, are understandable. However, your request for consideration in this matter must be declined, because the vehicle in question has exceeded the time or mileage limitations of the manufacturer's warranty at the time the expense was incurred. Although a more favorable reply could not be provided, sharing your concern with us is appreciated. Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely, Carol Customer Service RepresentativeChrysler Customer Assistance Center

- , Anderson, IN, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 5.8L

Our 2001 dodge pickup has a dash board that is completely falling apart and the hole is getting bigger. The body and motor of the truck is in good condition and when you open the door to get in it looks like s--t!

- , Akers, LA, USA

Mar 012009

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.2L V8

So i have driven dodge my entire life i own 3 vehicle all the dodge

1975 dodge w100 power wagon 4x4

1967 charger r/t

2001 dodge ram 1500

the first two have served me well and performed great but the new piece of sh*t ram dash fell apart and my coffee spilled all over my damn leg and burnt me while driving to work after my cup holder fell apart. I wonder what the hell dodge is doing. get your head out of your ass. i parked the new truck and i'm driving the old power wagon til dodge replaces my dash for the second! time. I paid for the extended warranty and they honor it but you would think that after they replaced it the first time they would have done it right.

- , mesa, az, USA

Jun 232009

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT Magnum V8

Bought the truck used, in great shape, except for dash, which is a piece of s--t. No help from dealer, and just found out how extensive this problem is. I'm afraid to turn on the airbag on the passengers side, the dash would be like a bomb. I can't believe how thin the dash, bezel are.

- , Colville, WA, USA

Dec 012008

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

I bought this truck as my very first vehical ever and saved up alot of money to get a quality one. I went with dodge thinking they were a good dealer at the time and would honor me the customer. I was wrong, with the dash breaking and cracking its cheaply made and there is plenty of cases out there where its happened for evidence. With this they are diging themselves in a bigger whole because if someone dies by the dash falling in a causing a fire they will have a larger lawsuit on their hands then it would to replace them. They could have had a life time buyer but i think they screwed up on this. I dont think i will buy dodge again, i'll stick to Chevy or GMC now. Unless they do something about it.

- , Missouri Valley, IA, USA

May 152009

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L V8

Bought truck new in 2001 it's been eight years and now dash is starting to crack. I've seen a lot of complaints about this issue online. I even saw a news report about someone's headlights turning off all by themselves while they were driving at night. Dodge needs to step up to the plate and take care of this problem before someone gets seriously hurt. If this problem is not fixed this will be the last dodge anything I will ever buy. Come on dodge grow a set of balls and take responsability for this problem.

- , New Windsor, MD, USA

Mar 182005

Ram 1500 V6

The truck has been great, but the " DASH IS A TOTAL PIECE OF SH*T " Dodge needs step up and repair.It has big holes and bad cracks,its a shame we pay as much as we do for these trucks and they want stand behind this problem!!!!!!! I wonder if FIAT will fix,lol

- , Denham Springs, LA, USA

Jan 102007

Ram 1500 1500 3.9L V6

ok, first of all it is no secret about the problem i am having with my 2001 dodge ram 1500 v6. my dashboard is all mucked up with crack after crack. does it ever end, all the time noticing new cracks. i haven't seen a dodge around that year model that hasn't had a messed up dashboard. it is truck looks very nice and the dash makes me just pissed off makes me want to punch it butt we all know what will happen then.i recently heard about them catching on fire bc of melted wires. that kinda worries me. really wish dodge would do something but thanks for reading

- , Montgomery, TX, USA

Apr 152009

Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L

This has to be the BIGGEST PAIN IN THE ASS VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED! I saved up my money to finally buy a Newer Vehicle and I chose the Dodge Junk Ram 1500 I should have pissed the money away, FIRST the map lights broke the switches inside of them flew apart, no biggy I have a rear light that WORKS (shakes head) then THE DAMN transmission took a Royal Sh*t there was 1300 bucks down the drain, NOW it is FIXED RIGHT!!! then 2 months later the Dash fell apart in front of the steering wheel the whole is about 18 inches and the rest of the dash sounds like a dam rattle trap and if that wasn't enough the damn A/C Evap took a dump under the dash I DO hope the damn thing shorts out then I will take my truck and a lawyer to dodge and see what they have to say then! they should GO BROKE! the way they are treating us with our problems like we are NOTHING but a number...well I don't care if they have a New deal of Buy one truck and get 10 free I will buy a damn goat before I Will buy another damn DODGE

- , Murrayville, IL, USA