8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (373 reports)
  2. replace dash (114 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 24 of 30)

Jul 052008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

Shortly after I purchased my 2001 Dodge Ram used I was preparing to go to work one morning. As I got into my truck I noticed a crack in the dash that ran from the windshield to the front of the dash. The location of the crack is very close to the area of the dash where the passenger side airbag is located. As I looked at the dash more later in the day I noticed several cracks in the dash!! Now as of Sep the cracks have gotton progressively worse. I went online and tried to find a replacement dash. No luck what so ever. Then I noticed an article written in Motor Trend magazine with a video clip attached. The video was from a reporter in Florida who interviewed three people with the same problem that I have. During the video two of the people the reporter talked to had talked to their local Dodge dealer and were told that Dodge knows about this problem but has done nothing to fix it. I truly believe that Dodge needs to step up and fix the problem. I think that this problem could cause a safety concern. During the video one of the people had their whole dash cave in and due to that had experienced electrical problems with her lights, windows and stereo. My concern is that the crack in my dash close to the airbag could possibly rub on the wires causing the airbag to deploy and if someone is in the passenger side of my truck they could be injured by the airbag. Also the cost of replacing the deployed airbag is cost prohibitive. I hope that people can get Dodge to do the right thing and recall the affected trucks and fix them!!!

- , Wellford, SC, USA

Sep 122006

Ram 1500 5.9L V6

When I bought the truck in 2006 it was cracked in a few places, and now I have two big pieces that broke off and I am left with two big holes on my dash. I would like to know if anyone knows of a good aftermarket dash to replace it with since Dodge is not worried about the problem. If you have a recommendation for something feel free to email me at swtjaca@aol.com

- , Hinton, WV, USA

Aug 152008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.3L V8

Yes The dashboard is cracked pretty bad and is a safety issue due to the sharp edges. Cleaning is not recommended because you can get cut and you risk the chance of making the cracks and holes worse.

- , Debary, FL, USA

Feb 012007

Ram 1500

we notice some hair line cracked then the next thing it just caved in mostly on passenger side, I was searching the web to find a cover or something and notice several complaint of this happening on the same vehicle. This is not good and we also will not be looking at dodge again if this is how they do business my mercury is older and more miles and is just fine. Thanks for listening!

- , La Porte, TX, USA

Aug 012006

Ram 1500 XLT V8

After reading numerous problems with the RAM 1500 dashboards, I realized something. Dodge / Chrysler is not stepping up to the plate to fix or resolve the issues. Plus, I am not reading or seeing anything by Dodge / Chrysler that says they have fixed or rectified the issue with their new Dodge Trucks. F them. I like Dodge. My dash has craters / holes in it and when I went to the dealer, he basically told me tuff luck. And guess what? Dodge is not standing by their product. Oh and I don't use Armor All or any cleaner on my dash. I will be in the market for a new Truck by mid 2009 and Dodge lost a customer.

- , Cedar Park, TX, USA

Aug 232008

Ram 1500 Mangnum

Got in my truck last week end (do to gas prices I'm not driving it much) noticed 3 cracks in dash. All going from front of dash to the windshield, several small cracks. Also noticed one in the bezel. Truck went from a good looking ride to a piece of crap (nothing worse than a screwed up dash). Not real happy about it.

- , Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Feb 062007

Ram 1500 Ram 3.9L

DODGE SHOULD DO A RECALL,THIS IS TERRIBLE. MY TRANSMISSION FAILED AT 65,000 MILES. I AM STARTING NOT TO LIKE DODGE.

- , Columbia, LA, USA

Jul 062007

Ram 1500 V8

This dash should definitely be recalled by Chrysler. I called them and they were willing to pay half and have the dealership do it at warranty cost. It would hopefully end up costing less than $400 with the half off and warranty price. But, after one short call, Chrysler was very willing to pay for half which tells me that they know there is a manufacturer problem and LOTS of people or reporting it to them. They are just being cheap and refusing to recall it. And you wonder why we are having economy problems! Everyone wants to blame Bush, how about the rip-off manufacturers in this country that don't stand behind their product and deny problems.

- , Jacksonville, NC, USA

Jan 012005

Ram 1500 SLT

Called Dodge they new of problem and offered a new dash if I paid for installation. When I went to dealer I was told the installation was $440.00. I am retired and thought this was excessive for something that should not have failed in the first place.

- , Dacula, GA, USA

Jan 172007

Ram 1500 1500 5.8L

There are three cracks in the dash. They run from the windshield to the front where the vents are located.

- , Oak Grove, MO, USA

Jul 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L Ltr

Over the past winter a small crack opened (right side) just above the glove box/airbag. It now is cracked to the recess were the mounting hardware attaches the dash to the body.

Last month the left cracked and in a matter of days the whole left side broke up into several major fractures and is falling apart. The electronics are now exposed it gets worse every time I drive it. I spoke to the dealer who said Dodge will not do anything unless it is a safety issue. How can exposing the instruments and control to open air not be a safety issue. any rain or other moisture can now get into the dash. Open a soft drink that sprays a bit and you can sort the instrument cluster. I have read several complaints about it on this and other sites. How do you clean the windshield without risking electrical problems?

- , Bay Shore, NY, USA

Jul 212008

Ram 1500 V6

I noticed today that my 2001 Ram 1500 dash was also cracked on the right side above the glove box near the windshield. Seems like we should have some recourse as to get it fixed. We paid for it already and should expect it to last. Nothing looks worse than a cracked up shabby looking dash. And from what I read in the other complaints, The Dodge Boys don't give a hoot. Well, if they don't care for our problems, then I sure will not worry about buying another Dodge. And I hate that because I like Dodges best.

- , Silsbee, TX, USA

Jan 112005

Ram 1500 STL 5.2L

I called Dodge about my cracked dashboard and they told me that this has never happened before. Now that I am here it is very annoying to find out that others have the same problem. I love the truck but hate the service of Dodge. DODGE SERVICE SUCKS

- , Hughson, CA, USA

Feb 012008

Ram 1500 Sport V8

my dash board is cracked with pieces falling out!!!!!!! unbelievable what a piece of junk! It should be a RECALL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dodge should face it they made a big mistake and like the transmission problems that keep people from buying dodge products this is another sore spot against dodge they should admit they made a mistake and do something about it.

- , Bordentown, NJ, USA

Mar 102004

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

I love this truck and I have family that works for Chrysler, but I can't bring myself to purchase another Chrysler product because they won't stand behind their current ones. I have large holes in the dash where pieces have fell out while driving down the road. The local service manager says their is nothing they can do without a recall. I feel that this could possibly be a safety hazard since the dash is cracking all the way around the air bag. The price for a replacement is close to $1,000 dollars if you have the dealership do it. I work for the state of Florida and all of the state vehicles have the same problem. Thank you for allowing me to vent.

- , Polk City, FL, USA

Apr 052008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I CAN'T believe Dodge is NOT recalling this JUNK dashboard. This cracked for NO reason except it's JUNK! This is my 2nd Dodge truck and if not fixed, I'll NEVER buy another Dodge product again. FORD F-150, here I come!!

- , Enfield, CT, USA

Jul 262005

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L Magnum

My truck was hardly 5 years old with less than 40,000 miles when the dash started cracking all over. Even the front bezel is cracked. I don't live in an area of extreme cold and this truck does not sit out in the sun for long periods unprotected. It is definitely a defect that dodge should own up to. I've been a MOPAR man all my life but I recently purchased a KIA for my wife. I wanted a quality vehicle from a company that backs their product. You can't get that from Dodge anymore.

- , Hattiesburg, MS, USA

Feb 132007

Ram 1500 318

I will never buy another Dodge product if they don't recall this one!

- , Livingston, LA, USA

Jun 142006

Ram 1500 Limited V8

Dodge should have a recall on the dashboards. mine has cracks running all across the dash and one big gaping hole in the middle of it

- , Leesburg, GA, USA

Jun 012003

Ram 1500 5.9L

This started as a crack and pieces started breaking off. I have purchased a dash cover but that is just a quick fix. Contacted Dodge, they said they couldn't do anything about it due to the mileage. What a typical comment by those who don't want to be responsible for their product.

- , Ocala, FL, USA