8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (375 reports)
  2. replace dash (117 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (8 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 26 of 30)

Mar 012008

Ram 1500 360 V8

Noticed crack out of the blue early March, also had Heater Core go out and it's being replaced tomorrow, hopefully this piece of crap dash will hold together through the repair.

- , Merced, CA, USA

Jan 242008

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

I purchased this truck in January,2008 This wasn't your average work truck, it was a one owner, always garaged, never driven in the rain gem! The original owner was 86yrs old, and was so picky that he had all his vehicles professionally detailed once a month. I didn't even see the cracks when I bought the truck, but noticed them about a week later. There are two of them, both start at the base of the windshield and continue rearward. The largest is above the glovebox and is about 5" long. The other is only about 2" long and is above the instrument panel.

I checked to see if the edges still lined up perfectly, and they do. I plan on supergluing them shut. They should be invisible if I carefully line the edges up. I want to stop it before it gets worse.

I just found out tonight that apparently this was a common problem with these trucks. I was wondering how such an immaculately cared for truck could have recieved a cracked dash.

- , Pell Cty, AL, USA

Mar 022004

Ram 1500

Here is another one. I left for another tour in Iraq only to return to my beautiful Dodge pickup turned into crap. My dash is cracked all over and the other day I hit a small bump in the road and a large chunk fell into the dash. I have searched for recalls before but Dodge doesn't seem to care. I was looking for a Ford F-150 when I happened upon this Dodge Ram 1500. What a mistake! I'll never buy Dodge again. So many people with the same problem and they won't make it right!! I hope they lose all truck lovers to other manufactures.

- , Enterprise, AL, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 5.9L V8

PISS ON DODGE YOU CANT AFFORD EM! SPOKEN FROM A FORMER DODGE LOVER!!!!!!!!! I HAVE ALWAYS TALKED CRAP ABOUT CHEVY BUT IM GONNA BUY ONE ,OR A FORD OR A BICYCLE LEAST IT WOULD BE MORE RELIABLE!

- , Lake Worth, TX, USA

Jul 012007

Ram 1500 V6

Both my dodge and my work truck which is also a 2001 dodge have such terrible cracking in the dash that chunks of the dash have come off and there are holes where there should be plastic!!!

- , College Station, TX, USA

Jun 162006

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L V8

It's not a big deal, just a decent size crack. Which I glued back together.

- , Vincennes, IN, USA

Dec 012007

Ram 1500 SLT V8

My 2001 Dodge 1500 first got a small crack at the base of the windshield above the glove box about 3 years ago. This year it cracked all the way to the glovebox and another appeared from the base of the windshield to the top or the instrument panel and they get a little larger everyday. My truck is always garaged or has a sun screen in place. I went on line to see if I could find a dash pad but instead found that it seems that the Dodge pickups, especially 2000 to 2002 models, have a serious problem with the dashes. I am now in the process of the runaround. I went to my Dodge dealer and he told me to call the toll free no.( 1-800-992-1997} I called the no. and they told me to back to my Dodge dealer. I go back the first week and I'm sure that they are going to tell me that they can't make a decision it will have to come from higher up. Dodge may not consider it a safety issue but when it comes to customer satisfaction I'll bet that there will be a lot fewer Dodge customers the nest time around.

- , Derby, KS, USA

May 132007

Ram 1500

I keep my truck meticulous and this problem is very upsetting, especially since it seems to be a problem with most 2001 Rams. Dodge should do something about this.

- , Metairie, LA, USA

Feb 252004

Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9L

YES I TOO HAVE THE CRACKED DASH BLUES, WHAT TO DO IF YOU FIX IT IT WILL JUST BREAK AGAIN BECAUSE YOU DID NOT FIX THE CAUSE. BUT IT DRIVES ME UP THE WALL . ONE IDEA IS TO FIBER GLASS THE WHOLE TOP OF THE DASH, ITS NOT AS BIG A JOB AS YOU MIGHT THINK. STILL YOU HAVE NOT FIXED THE CAUSE. OR WE BECOME AS BIG PAIN IN THE ASS TO DODGE AS THEY ARE TO US. DRIVE DOWN TO YOUR LOCAL DEALER ON THE WEEKEND AND PUT SIGN ON YOUR TRUCK ABOUT THE PROBLEM, THERE ARE SO MANY OF US THERE WILL BE SOMEONE AT EVERY DEALERSHIP EVERY WEEKEND .. THINK THAT MIGHT GET SOMEONES PISSED OFF GOOD LUCK

- , temecula, CA, USA

Jul 042007

Ram 1500 SLT V8

This looks to me like a significant defect in the material used to make the dashboard. I've never seen anything like it. I have several cracks running all the way from front to back on my dash and no real way to explain it other than that the material simply broke from normal ambient heating and cooling (and since I live in south Texas the cooling isn't really significant).

Dodge really needs to do right by this. I don't get the good feeling that a replacement dash would last either...

- , Driftwood, TX, USA

Mar 122007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Problem is with the 1998 thru 2006 Dodge Ram dashes, talked to Chrysler and they refused my claim due to millage on truck. What does the millage have to do with a known problem with defective parts. Still fighting with Chrysler about this.

- , Douglasville, GA, Afghanistan

May 062007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L V8

I bought this truck new in April 2001, I have kept in excellent shape from the beginning.The

I noticed a small crack in the dash last May and didn't think much of it but was annoyed, I chalked it up to it starting to show it's age. In recent months I've driven it less and I have been letting a friend drive it to work. I recently had the windshield replaced and as I was checking the work done I saw for the first time several large cracks all across my dashboard. I was shocked to say the least, this is unacceptable, I've taken good care of this truck in order to have a fair resale value when I want to trade it in for a new truck and I now have to deal with this mess that Dodge has apparently been aware of for some time and has ignored.With this Problem along with the lousy gas mileage, Dodge probably isn't going to be my next choice for a new truck. I'd lie to see Chrysler do whats right and fix this , not what's profitable.

- , Bedford, TX, USA

Feb 212005

Ram 1500 XLT 5.9L

I too have a dash problem that is making my truck look just plain Sh^tty. Overall the truck is Great, but the dash looks like a piece of swiss Cheese on a bad day. As for a recall I think this is a safety issue. Heaven forbid I get into an accident and have plastic Shrapnel from my dash seriously injure or take the live of one of my family (Wife and Children) or myself. I bought this truck used because I like to get what I pay for, but this is ridiculous. Even if I did get a good deal on it the way the dash looks I still feel like I have been SWcr3wed. Any way I have been looking at possible covers and replacements and it looks as if coverlay is a good viable option for mine and may others dash problem.

- , Rock Hill, SC, USA

Sep 012007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

The dashboard of my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 has started to fall apart also. I have 4 huge cracks now. I bought the truck brand new, have always taken care of it, and never had any major issues other than this. Unfortunately, I am getting ready to get a new truck, I am sure this will bring down the trade in value. My next one will not be a Dodge because of this.

- , Tulsa, OK, USA

Oct 012007

Ram 1500 3.9L V6

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

Cracks? You're worried about cracks in your 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 dashboard? Geez, I've got a 16-INCH WIDE HOLE in the top of my dashboard! Like everyone else reports, my problem started as a little crack several months ago. And now I have HOLE I CAN STICK MY HEAD THROUGH!

But I'm not counting on Dodge to recall or fix it. It's not a safety issue, so the government can't force them to fix it. And besides, why would they fix it for free when Dodge dealers can make almost $900 fixing it for us! My advice: Get out the glue and live with it. And if you don't want carpet on your dash (like me), order the fitted plastic cover from 1aauto.com for $89, plus shipping.

On the bright side, my 2001 Dodge has been the most problem-free, dependable vehicle I have ever owned.

- , Richardson, TX, US

Oct 182006

Ram 1500 Sport 360 V8

I really believe the company should issue a RECALL. This is crazy. It started as a small little crack that turned into the whole dash crumbling into pieces. I cant afford to get it fixed right now. I barely live paycheck to paycheck. Every person I know That has the truck I do has had the same problem. Its gotten so bad the POS Dash bezel will barely stay on and its getting very irritating. WE NEED A RECALL!!!!!!!!!!! This has really started to change my mind about dodge. I have been with dodge since I was a kid, Now I cant believe they haven't recalled it due to everyones complaints..................

- , Norco, CA, USA

May 152007

Ram 1500 V8

I have the same problem with my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 that I see alot of other people with a similar model having: cracked dashboard. It started small but has progressively gotten worse.

- , Rising Sun, IN, USA

Jan 232008

Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 5.2L V8

I can actually see and hear the dash crack as I drive.

- , Germantown, MD, USA

Jul 182007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

I'm here to add my complaint to everyone else's. I bought my 2001 Ram 1500 4X4 in 2005 with 68000 miles on it. In the past and since I've had it, its been kept in fantastic condition. In summer of 2007, a small crack appeared by the vent on passenger side. A friend tried to push down a bit so it wouldn't stick up as much and a chunk about 1 in in diameter broke off. Since then, a crack has continued to find its way across the whole dash. It is very disgusting looking. The only thing I can think of to make it look better is to cover it with a dashboard pad or carpet. I am very disappointed because the truck runs like a top and nothing else is frustratingly wrong.

- , Pensacola, FL, USA

Aug 162007

Ram 1500 SLT 318 V8

It is sad that a major dealer like dodge will not step up and fix these problems . It is clearly a defective product on there part.

- , Houma, LA, USA