8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (373 reports)
  2. replace dash (114 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 27 of 30)

Apr 102007

Ram 1500 SLT V8

i purchased my ram in dec. of 2001 used with only 29000 miles and took extra good care of it , when it had about 48000 miles it started to show a hairline crack that in about 1yrs time turned into a lot cracks and busted places that could not be stopped. i always had my best look out of mopar products and always thought they had the sharpest and toughest look on the market , i am very disappointed in the dash on my truck because that is the only problem i have encountered so far and believe that someone besides the customer that keeps chrysler open should accept responsibility for the defect

- , Bostic, NC, USA

May 212007

Ram 1500 318

• CVT transmission

my 01 dodge 1500 dashboard has holes in it the size of footballs. It stared with small cracks and turned to holes within months. the dealer will not do anything about it. you should not have to replace a part like that on a 01. my 1969 ford still looks great and never has been changed out. WAKE UP DODGE IF YOU WANT REPEAT BUYERS

- , Hornbeak, TN, USA

May 212007

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9 L V8

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram Sport 1500 it is in GREAT shape, low miles BUT the dashboard is cracking from end to end, top to bottom, I googled recalls and ended up with pages of complaints just like mine, you would think after SOOOO many people complain about the same truck with the same DEFECT that Dodge would do the right thing and issue a recall on their vehicle!!!! I am very disappointed in Dodge. I always loved Dodge until they didn't want to stand behind their product!!!

- , Ocala, FL, USA

Jul 142007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I just had a State Farm guy out to look at it and he checked for recalls which there are none. He did get an OEM price for me of $194.00 and said it looked pretty simple to install. He said the S.F. would not pay for it because it would be considered U.V. damage. He also said it's not right that it should have went this soon. It still pisses me off because the sunglass holder door in the above console has also quit working due to the plastic pressure clip that keeps it closed has broken off AGAIN! I replaced it once already. Maybe I should get a case price.

- , Milton, FL, USA

Jan 152006

Ram 1500 Quadcab Slt 5.9L V8

This is horrible! My red 2001 dodge quadcab slt with tinted windows(all original) has been kept in really good shape for now being 7yrs. old.It now has 98,000miles on it,though it doesn't show it.I bought this truck 9months old from the dealer and no cracks,but in 06 i just happened to look at the windshield and there is that huge long crack from the defrost vent to the middle of my dash.I am really upset and I know Dodge/Chrysler should replace it,but i know they wont because there are 60 complaints on this board alone before me. But I won't ever buuy Dodge again! You guys ......well you stink!

- , Ennis, TX, USA

Jul 012007

Ram 1500 Ram 360

The crack in the dash was small early years on the right side to the front and then later on my wife notice that the dash was cracked a little more and now it is cracked all over. The fist crack was two years ago and now it is all over so I looked for recalls and found that their is others so I will check with dodge.

- , Monticello, IN, USA

Apr 012003

Ram 1500 5.2L

myself as well as 2 other people i work with all 2001 Dodges have had the same identical problems cracked dash(as in chunks totally falling out) transmission problems (as in complete rebuilds),never in my 30 plus years of driving and car ownership have i seen suck a trend for recalls that have gone unacknowledged by a major car company. have never had transmission trouble out of the cars I've owned in the past an most i drove 200,000 plus miles.

- , ennis, TX, USA

Sep 052006

Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 5.9L

I bought the truck new in 2001. Bought the "7yr/100,000 mi bumper to bumper extended warranty". I noticed the dash starting to crack at the defroster vent before the "warranty" went out.I called the dealership to get it replaced and was told that it was not covered. I think I'll not buy another Dodge truck if this what they call "quality". I have already had the transmission rebuilt @18,000 miles and had to put up with a dealership who could not find a drive ability problem if it was up their rectum!! I'm thinking "High dollar,Low quality. Dodge needs to get off it's high horse and recall this crap. They should also refund people who had the money to buy replacements as long as they have their receipts. A dash should last longer than a set of tires!! This kind of junk is what ruined Chrysler in the 60's @ 70's. The engineer who designed this and approved this should be drawn and quartered. As they tell kids "CRACK KILLS"

- , Moncks Corner, SC, USA

Sep 192004

Ram 1500 1500 318 V8

There needs to be a recall on this vehicle. We called the dealership and they told us it could cost up to $700.00 to replace. There are a lot of these Rams on the road with the same looking cracked dashboard. FIX THE PROBLEM.

- , Nahunta, GA, USA

Dec 142006

Ram 1500

my son, my son-in-law and myself all own these trucks and all have a cracked dash. this is definitely something dodge should stand up and take responsibility for. truck owners should not have to pay for something to be repaired on their vehicle, when its obviously a manufacturers defect. we have contacted dodge and have all gotten the same response: "there hasn't been a recall, so theres nothing we can do for you". i know none of us will buy a truck from dodge again, not only because of the issues with the dash, but because of the poor excuse for customer service. and we would definitely not recommend the purchase of a dodge to anyone we know. this whole situation is ridiculous.

- , Baxley, GA, USA

May 012007

Ram 1500

Mine doesn't seem to be as bad as some, but it is still annoying. Everything about

mine is the same as most that have posted and since I'm young and broke the only solution I have found doesn't fix the problem....but is just a cheap cover up. I am going to take blackfelt fabric and cut it to fit on the dash and anchor it with velcro. I've seen it donein

other vehicles and doesn't look half bad. It also eliminates the glare from the dash.

Since the average cost of fixing the problem is 500+ and it's not going to be covered

by Chrysler this is more economical for me. Other than that it's a great truck.

- , Here, AL, USA

May 202005

Ram 1500 LX V8

I HAD AN IMMACULATE TRUCK, THEN ONE DAY AFTER I HAD MY TRUCK ABOUT 3 YEARS I FIND MY DASH CRACKED IN THE PASSENGER CORNER, I ASK SOME FRIENDS WHO HAVE THE SAME TRUCK ABOUT IT, THEY SAID IT WILL GET WORSE.

IT DID, IT CRACKED RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE. IT IS PROBABLY TOO LATE BUT DODGE REALLY SHOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM. I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE MY TRUCK LIKE NEW AGAIN.

- , Crockett, TX, USA

Oct 302007

Ram 1500 V6

One more to the list. Hey others list yours so dodge can see. I have purchased a

Toyota today. Will never buy Dodge again if this is their idea of commitment. Ill write

back if I get some satisfaction.

- , Silsbee, TX, USA

Oct 302007

Ram 1500 V6

Here you go guys. Complain to the right person and get results. Go to the top and complain to the corporate directors. Below is a list of Directors it looks like their email system uses their name plus the company Exmple: joe.smith@daimler.com this information is available from their website

Dr. Dieter Zetsche Appointed until: 2010; first appointed: 1998

G�nther Fleig Human Resources & Labor Relations Director Appointed until: 2009; first appointed: 1999

Dr. R�diger Grube Corporate Development Appointed until: 2010; first appointed: 2001

Andreas Renschler Daimler Trucks Appointed until: 2010; first appointed: 2004

Bodo Uebber Finance & Controlling / Daimler Financial Services Appointed until: 2011; first appointed: 2003

Dr. Thomas Weber Group Research & Development Mercedes-Benz Cars Appointed until: 2010; first appointed: 2003

Daimler AG 70546 Stuttgart Germany Phone: +49 711 17 0 Fax: +49 711 17 22244

These complaints make me wonder about their other cars. Good Luck All

- , Silsbee, TX, USA

Jul 012006

Ram 1500 SLT 360 Ci

I guess I am more fortunate than the others making this complaint. My dash started cracking about a year and a half ago. (I bought the truck in 2001 as a repo with 10,000 miles on it. I have taken pretty good care of it.) At first I noticed a small crack by the windshield on the passenger's side. Didn't think much about it. Then a little later, another small crack. Over the pass several months the dash has literally fallen apart. I have huge holes all across. I agree, Dodge should accept they had a bad batch of dashes and make things right by issuing a recall and replacing them. I love my truck and have no intention of parting with it. Dodge makes great trucks, but in this case crappy dashes.

- , Odessa, TX, USA

Feb 122006

Ram 1500 1500 5.9L V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

I purchased this truck a few years ago from a used dealer the dash was clean and didnt have a scratch on it, a few months later the dash was all cracked and little by little their was no hope for the dash to be saved, its been a pain in the ass to try to repair, im on a waiting list 280 people deep for a replacement dash.

- , South El Monte, CA, USA

Dec 012006

Ram 1500 318 V8

My dealer says it's the sun. My wife says it's no Armor all. My elected representative says it's the ruff road. This problem is the result of poor quality by the vendor of the dash. I bought this truck new in August 2001 in Monticello, Iowa. I moved to Florida in October of 2002. The dash started to crack 3-4 years later. I want Dodge to explain the reason for the defect, before I spend time and money on this dash. It would be stupid on my part to have it repaired until I know the cause. I have a hole, the size of a soft ball over my instrument panel and cracks over the whole dash. I want Dodge to stop the Bull Crap and give me a good reason for purchasing another truck from them. The truck is excellent mechanically. My warranty paid to replace the glasses holder which has broken twice. Some one screwed up the plastic interior parts in late 2001and Dodge doesn't care.

- , Crawfordville, FL, USA

Nov 072007

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.9L V8

I SEE OTHERS HAVE COMPLAINED ABOUT THE DASHBOARD CRACKING ON THEIR DODGE TRUCKS AND I AGREE WITH THEM THAT THE DODGE COMPANY SHOULD BE HELD LIABLE FOR THIS DEFECT. MY DASH CRACKED IN TWO PLACES. REALLY LOOKS LIKE CRAP, I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR REPLACEMENT PART FOR THIS PROBLEM AND I CANNOT BELIEVE THE COST TO REPLACE THE DASH I HOPE THE COMPANY SOON REALIZES THAT THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THIS!!!!!! OTHER THEN THIS DEFECT, I HAVE NO OTHER COMPLAINTS TRUCK RUNS REALLY WELL.

- , Dover, PA, USA

May 282007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

I originally thought that this problem was only isolated to my truck, but when I started to poke around on the internet I found out that it effects a lot of the 2001 Ram models. I am outraged that Dodge has yet to acknowledge the defect. Some of my internet research says the problem comes from the temperature being off when the dashboards were cast. This temperature change makes a weak dash and causes stress fractures. This is why the cracks tend to be straight lines and not the spiderweb effect that would show up on other parts of the vehicle, like the windshield. A news agency in Orlando Florida has aired a story about the problem and would like everyone who has this problem to contact them. The link address is as follows: http://www.local6.com/news/13227601/detail. html there is a video on the web site that shows damage to some of the dashboards and what you might expect as the cracks get worse. The report also sites that once the dash starts to collapse the wiring harnesses under the dash get damaged causing electrical problems. Dodge really should own up to their mistakes and stand behind their customers as well as their products.

- , Minneapolis, MN, USA

Sep 242007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

This is not a truck that is in bad shape. It was my grandfathers and was kept in side up to the present. My feelings are that Dodge should replace them free of charge.

- , Payneville, KY, USA