8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (373 reports)
  2. replace dash (114 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 28 of 30)

Oct 032005

Ram 1500 SLT V8

we bought this truck used, with very low mileage 6 months later the dash started cracking huge chunks have now fallen out of it - very unsightly Dodge really needs to fix these for free. We have another Dodge truck that was built in the late 80's and we've never had a problem with a cracked dash. If Dodge doesn't fix this, we will never buy another Dodge truck again.

- , Tulsa, OK, USA

Jan 092003

Ram 1500 V8

I understand Tom's pain; my '01 1500's dash started to crack in '03 and hasn't stopped yet; it's got a gapping hole in the dash toward the driver's side. I'm very embarrassed about it and haven't had the money to fix it myself. I think I'll call a Dodge dealer and raise a fuss about it; Dodge really needs to take care of its customers!

- , San Marcos, TX, USA

Nov 092007

Ram 1500 1500 360 V8

My dash board has completely fell in and I'm tired of having to explain to every body that walks by that Dodge has a sh*tty dashboard and the sorry bastards wont fix it! I bought this truck new in 01 and the people at the dealership said that i put too much armorall on it........gimme a break! Hell, I didn't have time to put any armorall on it. fix my truck!!!! Pissed in Mississippi

- , Wade, MS, USA

May 032007

Ram 1500 3.2L V6

Let's see, in May 2007 I was cleaning my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 and noticed several cracks in the dashboard. I asked my wife if she knew anything about the dash being cracked. She said "NO". We are the only ones that drive the truck. I know I didn't do it, I believe her when she said she didn't so it. I called Dodge, they said " This seems to be happening with alot of the dashboards" I asked if they would fix it. Dodge dealer guy said," Yes, we can fix it for you, we will replace the entire dash". I told him thanks, I would bring it in to their dealership. I asked about paying. He says," Yes Sir, there will be a charge for replacing the dash." I asked why. He said," Dodge does not know how your dash was cracked, how are WE supposed to know if you didn't do the damage." What an ass, why would I crack my entire dash. I told him there were not only cracks in it, but there were large pieces falling down into the dashboard. Large pieces were coming off. What???????? Crap?????? Yes!!!! I am not happy...

- , Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Nov 062007

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

Unbelievable problem to have on a truck that has been so pampered. Rarely driven on less than paved roads, maintained religiously, immaculate interior. Imagine my shock to discover several huge cracks in the dash! One starts at the top to the left of the steering wheel and runs all the way to the windshield, and the other intersects across. I have not yet taken it to the dealership for consideration, but after reading these posts I'm not holding out much hope for a reasonable resolution. What a ginormous piece of crap.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Sep 142007

Ram 1500 SLT

as i can see i am not the only one with this problem. my dash has cracked to the point that it fell apart completely. i am writing to dodge to find out how many people have to complain about this problem before they do something about it. i have also read that there are new agencies that have done reports on the issue. i would like to know if anyone has made a list of people that are having this problem. if not, i will start one, and send it to dodge. if they will not do anything then.... i have no problem sending it to the tv station that ran the story. (it was a Florida news station - http://www.local6.com/news/13227601/detail. html)

- , Lexington, SC, USA

Oct 232007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

What a bunch of crap.Pay for a good truck, get it next to paid off,do a complete detail, and find 2 cracks in the god damn dash.

Dealer say's NOPE... NO RECAL, but we can order ya one. Bull sh*t,

replace it for free, Look at my truck,... its a 9.5 out of 10 and that is cause of the cracked dash. Ask them to give me the $ off the price of a new truck what it would take to fix my old one and call it even. You know the answer to that... NO . They claim to have a 7yr 100,000mile body defect warranty, what the hell is that. I have no rust, I have a CRACKED DASH. Come out of the closet Diamler. fix our trucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Dover, IL, USA

Oct 172007

Ram 1500 1500 Sport 5.2L V8

I bought the truck in March '03 with 26,000 miles, and only put on about 5,000 mi./yr.on it.I take very good care of it and keep it spotless. I went to clean the interior and was shocked to see a crack about 10"long from the defroster outlet all the way to the front edge of the dash. The local Dodge dealer says they haven't heard of this problem before! That's pretty surprising when I read all these other beefs! I'm not spending $500+ to replace it so if I can't get it repaired (glued,fused,whatever), I'll probably buy a dash mat to cover it up. That sucks,'cause I'll always know that damn crack is there and probably there will be more. Chyrsler needs to face up and replace these defective dashboards!

- , Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Oct 172007

Ram 1500 SLT V8

Talk about a piece of crap... Dashboard cracks all the way from front to back after less than 60,000 miles. Looks like crap - rattles, etc. This truck has never been driven on anything worse than a dirt road... geez...

- , North Little Rock, AR, USA

Aug 252007

Ram 1500 5.9L

I bought this 2001 truck used in 2005. I had it mabee five months when I noticed the dash had a crack in it on the drivers side windsheild defrost grill. Within a few days the dash was already in four peices. After three weeks the dash was in about nine peices and the cracks were spreading toward the passenger side. After two months the dash had completely broken in to many more peices and had caved in. What a fine piece of crap it made my truck look like. Tryng to find a dash at a salvage yard was imposible. The ones that did get in to the yard were worse than the one I already had so I had to buy a new on from a dealership. Can you say turn around and bend over!!!

- , Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Aug 262007

Ram 1500 SLT 318

Heard of this problem from a friend three days ago and was joking that he must not take good care of his truck and when i got back into my truck that night i saw three huge cracks by the door pillars and one in the bezel around the instruments. I was crushed, I treat that truck better then my wife, hahah. I just looked today to see the prices of getting these two items replaced and I was floored that so many others are having the same problem. Why does it take an act of congress or a death from the chipped pieces in an accident before someone decides there is a problem here. Just asking.

- , Palmetto, FL, USA

Aug 252007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

dashboard started with one little crack 2 monthes ago and now has cracks all over I have never had this problem on any other car I've owned. Dodge has really gone down in quality thay need to recall and fix the problem A. S. A. P I cant see spending that kind of money on a rig to have it fall apart like that if not taken care of by Dodge I'll never buy another one. Dodge is not number one in my book any more.{Buy Dodge and watch fall apart in driveway}

- , Silverton, OR, USA

Oct 152007

Ram 1500 1500 V6

I HAVE TO SAY THAT DODGE IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE EXTREME CAR DEALER WHEN IT COMES TO THERE PRODUCT. HOWEVER I BELIEVE THAT THERE NOTHING BUT A HOAX AND FULL OF CRAP AFTER ALL OF THESE COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE CRACKED DASH BOARDS THEY REFUSE TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT AT LEAST FOR THERE REPUTATION THEY WOULD REPLACE ALL OF THE CRACKED DASH BOARDS AT NO COST TO THERE CUSTOMERS. I ONLY HAD MY TRUCK FOR 1 YEAR WHEN IT STARTED TO CRACK AND THE ENTIRE DASH BOARD IS CRACKED AND HALF OF IT FELL INTO THE GLOVE COMPARTMENT. WHAT TYPE OF PRODUCT DO THEY THINK THEY ARE SEELING. NOTHING BUT A PIECE OF GARBAGE.

- , Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Oct 132007

Ram 1500 4.7L

I noticed my 2001 1500 quad cab truck dashboard cracking about 2005 with about 60,000 miles. I was very upset that Dodge used such crappy products that would do this.

I clean and Armor all my dash regularly and still it has cracked all up, I have had several vehicles and none have done this before.

Dodge has really dropped the ball on this one and I have already purchased a chevy hhr and will probably get a ford or chevy for my next truck.

- , Huntsville, TX, USA

Aug 302007

Ram 1500 SLT 318

The dash was cracked at about 66,000. It has now basically disintegrated. I contacted Dodge with these words: Can you tell me why my dash is falling apart? I know that my truck is out of warranty so please don't tell me what I already know. The reply from Dodge was: sorry your vehicle is out of warranty. I called and asked since they didn't answer me as to why. They again told me: your vehicle is out of warranty and our decision has been made, we are not fixing it. I didn't ask them to fix it. I asked what the problem is and still have gotten no answer. They will not answer nor be truthful and even acknowledge that they know that this is a problem that they refuse to fix because the NHTSA hasn't made them due to safety concerns. So with that I have a $29.95 AutoZone dash pad to cover the crappy looking dash.

- , Humble, TX, USA

Sep 182007

Ram 1500 SLT 360

2001 Dodge ram Big long crack in dash Truck has had very good care and light duty.. What can be Done??

- , Minden, NE, USA

Sep 202007

Ram 1500 1500 5.9L V8

dodge should recall the part and fix it for free!

I noticed the problem about 6 months ago, with a crack down the center of the dashboard. Now the dash is in about20 pieces, with a hole about the size of a quarter in the passenger side. I had an extended warranty, but 2 different dealerships said it was not covered. I think it is very unsafe. Who knows where the peices of that dash are going to go if I end up in an accident. Dodge needs to step up and fix this problem!!

- , Alexandria, VA, USA

Sep 102007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

I have read about this problem many times. Bought the truck a few months ago and the 3 cracks were already in the dashboard. It seems to be a recurring problem with Dodge that needs to be fixed as a recall item. Starting to see the same problems in my Dads 2003 2500 as well. Is it that hard to make a dash that will stand up to the heat?

- , McDonough, GA, USA

Sep 072007

Ram 1500 5.2L

i noticed the rattle and the slowly the crack got bigger. I suspect it will break into pieces eventually. I plan to retire the truck for farm use only and thought it was just the Texas sun that made the dash so brittle. Guess not.

- , Cedar Creek, TX, USA

Sep 062007

Ram 1500 SLT 318

File a complaint with the NHTSA. If they get enough complaints they may look at this harder and hold them accountable. This might become a safety issue since the dashboard is falling apart and down into the dash electrical/instumentation area. Who knows what damage those broken pieces could cause.

- , Humble, TX, USA