1. Dodge should issue a recall (372 reports)
  2. replace dash (112 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 30)

Jun 042012

Ram 1500 STL V8

One day I just noticed that the dashboard was cracked,just out of nowwhere.

- , Lumberton, NJ, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500

This is a design defect and it is total BS for Dodge to respond by saying the problem is cosmetic. If I am in an accident and razor sharp pieces of dashboard pierce my skull, someone' s getting sued.

- , Sautee, GA, USA

Nov 202012

Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 5.9L V8

We purchased what we thought would be the best & last truck we ever own, on Feb 23rd 2001. It has been sheltered, waxed,serviced & cleaned on a regular basis. From out of nowhere comes the horrible, awful crack in our dash on the passenger side. We have used the best vinyl protectant available on a regular basis to keep the dash & interior looking new. To top it off, the crack is directly in view of my wife as we ride. You can only imagine what I hear about this awful crack. Had our vehicle been left in the sun on a regular basis, you might expect this. We have loved our Dodge truck all these years & have had good service with little repair cost. But now we're steamed as there seems to be no assistance from Dodge to rectify this awful problem.

- , Valdosta, GA, USA

Oct 012011

Ram 1500

I have never had such a problem with any other new car that I have bought in the past..and I have owned several. None ever had the dashboard crack and I take good care of the interior.

- , Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Oct 122012

Ram 1500 Limited 4.0L

The entire dashboard is in pieces! What a rip off!

- , Shadow Hills, CA, USA

Aug 012010

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT Club 4x4 5.9L V8

Ok. Here's another complaint of the same thing I see lots of others of. My dashboard is literally falling apart! The cracks just get worse and worse, and chunks are starting to come loose. I even use a sun visor shade to cover the dash in the summer. This is quite an issue!

- , Chambersburg, PA, USA

Mar 312009

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

dash started cracking long ago. It's completely caved in now. Needs to be replaced.

- , Buda, TX, USA

Jun 302012

Ram 1500 Magnum 5.2L

This dash defect is obviously a major one for Dodge. My dash is literally breaking apart daily as I drive. I truly feel Dodge should acknowledge this problem and provide customers with a resolution. My next truck will NOT be a Dodge….

- , Cleveland, GA, USA

Jan 012010

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L

I have owned my Dodge Ram 1500 Sport since 2001-The dash cracking started in June 2009 and got horrific in 2010-Living in Florida, I expected this issue as other vehicles I have owned also had similar issues-I purchased a full replacement dash and instrument bezel off ebay for $225.00-I did A LOT of research to get the best value-I do not like the carpeted look-Installation was EASY!-Just follow the directions exactly!-The end result is SPECTACULAR!!-You cannot see where the replacement parts meet the original dash-My friend who does detailing for a living was surprised at the quality of the replacement dash and bezel-Granted this issue should be corrected but for my own piece of mind, this was a very aesthetic and cost effective solution!-Big business is just that and consumers get screwed!

- , NewPort Richey, FL, USA

Dec 122008

Ram 1500 Quad V8

When i bought the truck, dashboard was cracking, continued to get worse til it was literally falling all over floor, coming out vents (would like to blow some bits and pieces in the faces of these dodge ducks like i have received), i replaced that dashboard only for the next one to do THE EXACT SAME THING WITHIN 6 MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are they getting these materials out of their children's toy-boxes???? How many eye injuries will it take for them to do something about this? Do they have any idea the word of mouth is their best advertisement??? Do they even care????????? It is yet to be seen they give it a second thought! Instead of the numerous hours spent on the telephone trying to resolve the dashboard issues with the people (schemers) why not put the effort into hitting the streets with pics and proof of why YOU should NOT purchase a DODGE to begin with!!!!!!!!!

- , Jacksonville, IL, USA

May 002000

Ram 1500 5.7L

Dodge Ram cracked dashboards are a safety concern and dodge should be sued by all past, and present owners of the affected vehicles. All passengers and drivers who have ever ridden in the front of an affected Dodge Ram should sue for the risk to their life and limb.

Do not settle for recall since many of the vehicles will no longer be in service by the settlement date. Sue for compensation for the loss and risk. I was cut by mine and I am sure most other owners, drivers and passengers have been inured also. In a frontal crash the damage could be fatal from the sharp plastic of affected Dodge ram dashes.

If an attorney group chooses to take the lawsuit, hopefully it will be well known to us all.

Update from Nov 5, 2012: Dodge rep. stated to me today that if enough people call dodge and put their vehicle vin numbers (last 8 of vin.) on file with them that the vehicles may possibly be recalled to fix the cracks in the dash (replace dash?). If the vehicle dash has already been replaced at the owner's expense they can file for reimbursement once if the recall notice is issued.

- , Usa, USA, USA

Jun 072011

Ram 1500 Magnum V8

When I purchased this truck there were no cracks in the dash at all, within two weeks of having it I noticed the first crack and was confused because it wasn't there before. As time has gone by the crack has traveled and my dash now looks like a spider web. Just yesterday I noticed that the front of the dash is now cracking all around my faceplate. This morning I noticed actual pieces on the dash are now missing, it is beginning to cave in!!!!!!!!!!

- , Tacoma, WA, USA

Mar 122012

Ram 1500 Dodge Sport 5.9L

another dodge problem that they will do nothing about. that is why i will never buy another dodge ..

- , Zimmerman, MN, USA

Jul 152007

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L Cummins

I'm an original owner of a 2001 Dodge ram 2500 cummins.Dash developed a crack about 5 years ago, didn't think much of it at the time, never used armorall, dash always covered with a windshield shade 24/7/365, today, current mileage is 60k, dash is in pieces, contacted Chrysler hot line to register a complaint, a Parrot like lady got back to me and informed me that they are willing to do absolutely nothing!( she just kept repeating that!

I guess Chrysler does not want repeat customers, I will never ever buy a Chrysler product as long as I live. and unless you want to be a sucker, nether should you!

- , Denton, TX, USA

Jul 182011

Ram 1500 Sport 3.9L

Dash has multiple cracks and holes. The dash had small cracks for years; however, in the extreme heat last year the dash has completely gone to hell.

- , Leola, PA, USA

Feb 052005

Ram 1500 V6

it looks like sh*t. i would never buy a dodge again, or even let a family or a friend.

- , Engelwood, FL, USA

Jul 092004

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

This is an outrage. they get money to stay in business by our government and still refuse to fix a safety issue on this vehicle. my dash looks like an earthquake hit it. truck always clean, it now has 56,000 on it it still looks nice but hey need to step up and fix this. i am for dealer tech and know this is a safety issue that they refuse to pay for. i called & they offered 50percent off. i said that they need to pay for whole thing - mine has a crater in it now. and it still is cracking. were is our government that gave a company our money to stay in business but leave unsafe vehicles on road. this sucks and i will never buy a dodge again. go ford.

- , Oakland Park, FL, USA

Aug 012010

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

Its completely ridiculous Dodge won't do anything about it - it seems to happen to nearly everyone with this truck. I called the dealership to inquire about getting it fixed and they said they would charge $900 in labor plus $600 for the part!

- , Granville, OH, USA

May 112005

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

people complain about foreign cars what about our own, Dodge should man-up and fix this S@#*.

- , Checotah, OK, USA

Jan 012005

Ram 1500 LS 5.9L

was always a ford fan and even traded my ford for a dodge. not impressed with the dash issue. i will no start to investigate on some ford material to make my own dash. when im finished i will probably send a pic to dodge..but not to insult any ford lovers.(as im still one of them)..but to show dodge how to do it right the first time. maybe the idiots(dodge) will at least try to redeem themselves.

- , Frankfort, IN, USA