2001 Dodge Ram 1500 body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 092013

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

We own this 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. The problem we are faced with is that the paint of the truck has been fading every day to the point that it has spots and instead of being a black truck is a spot truck. The rust on it is incredible, underneath, around the trim of the tire panels and the overall bottom of the truck. I know we are in New Hampshire and the weather does not help, but a truck this expensive should not have to look the way it does. The dashboard inside the truck has cracked to the point that we have it all together with duct tape. My husband does not drive the truck far, because he is afraid it will be a safety issue. One time just going to the trash place, the breaks went on the truck and we had to have that truck fixed. It really bothers us that the truck should last longer and the condition this truck is in it says to us "how can a vehicle do this". we own two other cars, and they are in no way shape like this truck is. He takes care of the truck as much as he can, but is there any recalls or anyone else out there that has the same issues, with the paint, rust and the interior of the truck? the truck has been debilitating since it was purchased. We are not knowledgeable but we have taken the truck to the dealer and they fix what ever is wrong with it, but there is no mention of any recalls. My humble opinion this truck should be looked at by the dealer and fixed completely. We shouldn't have to be limited to travel in the truck because we are afraid it will fall apart due to all the rust etc underneath. Any information that you can provide us will be of great help. I've attached pictures of the truck so you can see what it looks like. Thank you for your attention.

- Pelham, NH, USA

Mar 112016

Ram 1500 6-cyl

Every second generation Dodge Ram truck has this issue. The dashboard falls apart and shatters into sharp knife-like pieces of plastic that can and do blow into your eyes while driving or cut you while driving or stationary. I fear that if my airbag deployed the sharp pieces of plastic that would be sent flying could injure me or even be fatal. This is a very common problem that is very well documented. The fact that something this common and dangerous hasn't ended in the result of a recall or replacement is astonishing. I love my truck but I am so afraid to drive it. Thank you for your time.

- Waco, TX, USA

May 222015

Ram 1500

Dash is falling apart and causing electrical problems. While driving

- Redwater, TX, USA

Sep 062015

Ram 1500

Dash boards caving in possible causing air bags, lights and other electrical parts to fail.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Jul 212015

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving 30 mph, the power steering failed. The vehicle had a past failure with the brakes, corrosion of the frame, a cracked dashboard, and warning indicators illuminating since 26,000 miles. The vehicle was repaired for these failures, but not for the steering failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 41,000.....updated 01/04/2016

- Hopewell Junction, NY, USA

Sep 032008

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that sections of the plastic dashboard were cracked and separated, which created sharp plastic edges. Some of the sharp edges were located near the passenger side air bag. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Feb 152013

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Dash pad cracking real bad. I am the original owner of this truck with only 44,000 miles on it.

- Kokomo, IN, USA

Aug 012012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Dashboard has completely fragmented apart. It has been taped to prevent pieces of hard plastic from dropping into electrical components. Should an accident occur, serious injury will result from dashboard breaking into many sharp shards.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Oct 162012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Hood become unlatched and flew up at ~ 50mph and hit top of truck. It completely bent backwards and after safely maneuvering off the road, 2 people had to stand on top of each truck side panel and pull repeatedly to bend back down and latch securely. Metal is now bent and peeled back at the joint/hinge near windshield.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Aug 012014

Dash falling apart.

- Clovis , CA, USA

Aug 142014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The hood flew open. Hood was not previously used, or opened, and was latched normally. However it just flew open, obstructing my view. Luckily I was able to crawl over to the side of the road, and did not crash. This issue has been previously recalled by Dodge in other year pick-ups, but does not look like they have ever properly corrected this safety issue. I called Dodge today and asked them if they would repair my truck, but they said it did not have a recall issued, and so they would not fix it and it was up to me.

- Watsonville, CA, USA

Feb 192014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the trailer hitch fractured. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Feb 012011

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I had a cover on my dashboard and took it off to clean under it a few years ago. I noticed cracks all over the top of the dash. After a year or so I looked under the cover again & noticed there were big open spots where the dash actually was falling apart. I pulled pieces out that were large in size & now have holes in the dash exposing wiring and duct work and there are cracks that are now extending to the face of the dash. I had a chip on my window & had it replaced. When the window tech came to replace the window I told him about it so he didn't lean on it & get hurt. He said this was a common problem with this year Dodge trucks. I found this website & was reviewing all the complaints & can't believe there isn't a recall for this issue with all these complaints.

- Southaven, MS, USA

Oct 012010

Ram 1500

TL -the contact owns a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the dashboard fractured and the heating wiring system was replaced due to the dashboards fractured pieces penetration. The manufacturer advised the contact to keep the air bag in the off position. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 102,000 and the current mileage was 107,000.

- Vinton, OH, USA

Jun 092011

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated the dashboard was cracked and detaching from the vehicle. The vehicle had not been taken to an dealer or independent mechanic for diagnosis or repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The VIN was not provided. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Luxahatchee, FL, USA

Nov 262013

Ram 1500

The dashboard has been cracking for over 2 years. Large pieces are breaking off and falling into the dash area where there are many electrical wires and vacuum hoses. The pieces that are breaking off are large and have sharp edges that may cut into the wires and hoses and may start fires or electrical failures/shorts. I researched and found out this is a common failure in this vehicle year due to manufacturing. Sometimes as I'm driving, the broken pieces pop out towards passengers in the vehicle. I'm also concerned that a short may deploy the airbags.

- Ventura, CA, USA

Aug 212004

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the dash board was detaching from the vehicle in large pieces. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Justin, TX, USA

Mar 172010

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the entire dashboard exhibited several cracks. The driver's side of the dashboard had partially caved in and separated from the mounting. The contact had not been involved in a crash.the manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 133,000.

- Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Oct 022006

Ram 1500

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram purchased used in 2006. It had 1 or 2 small cracks in the dash at the time of purchase. I wasn't too concerned about them, but then within a year or 2 the cracks multiplied. I then began to have issues with large pieces of the dash completely breaking and falling out. I now have multiple giant holes in the dash. I didn't realize this was an actual issue with other Dodge Ram until I searched out to replace it. I have discovered that 1000's of people are having the same issue, far from being labeled "isolated". this issue should have been handled via a recall years ago.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Feb 092013

Ram 1500 6-cyl

Pulled out of parking lot hood flew open cracked windshield bent hinges and hood, barely got shut, afraid to open again, had it checked out by my mechanic and he said that these latches are recalled and fail all the time.

- Island Lake, IL, USA