Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

2. replace blend door (1 reports)
  3. replace condenser fan (1 reports)
  4. replaced the ignition module in the steering column (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Jun 182014

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

As many times as you hear about this problem, I think there should be something done about it. It is definitely a safety hazard with the defrost not working to its capability.

- , Frankfort, IN, USA

Jul 112011

Ram 1500 V8

Well, the AC works fine, air is cold but it only wants to blow out the floor and defrost vents. I can't get it to blow out the main duct.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 012012

Ram 1500 SL 4.7L

The heater fan will continue to run with the ignition key removed. Sometimes the fan must come on after stopping on initial key turn off which results in a dead battery.

- , Morenci, MI, USA

Feb 112011

Ram 1500 4x4 Sport 4.7L

It is bs they wont fix it for any of us!! Ive been a loyal dodge owner for 12 years now maybe time to take my loyalty AND MONEY to Toyota!

- , Edinburgh, IN, USA

Feb 282009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

A/C blows cold air on drivers side and hot air on passenger side. Must replace air diverter valve that is behind the dash. Costly repair as dash has to be completely taken out.

- , Saraland, AL, USA

Jul 012012

Ram 1500

This summer (summer of 2012) the A/C started acting funny. The A/C only works now when the truck is actually running. At a stand still with the truck still on, it shoots out hot air as if the heat was on. Let me tell you that with a newborn and toddler, this was beyond annoying!!! WTF!!!

- , Lake Geneva, WI, USA

Jun 252010

Ram 1500 SLT V8

The ac is cold while driving hot when no driving. This is really annoying. When ever I stop my truck, I have to roll down the windows for air. When I'm driving again, the AC start blowing cold but with a lot of noise.

- , Duluth, GA, USA

Jun 012011

Ram 1500 2500

i never have cold air!!!!!! i live in louisiana and it is hot as hell!!! so when you get inside your vehicle expecting cold air and all you get is a hot breeze it really pisses you off!!!!

- , New Orleans, LA, USA

Apr 042002

Ram 1500 4.6L

cabin fan would run with ignition switch off and key removed. A recall on the vehicle for undersized ignition wires caused a plastic ignition module/switch connected to the ignition key to melt and allow power to flow to the fan without turning the key.

- , Hooterville, SC, USA

Jul 172008

Ram 1500 5.9L

This is just one more thing pushing a brand loyal customer to buy someone else's product. I love my truck but I can't afford to keep fixing all the things that keep going wrong with it. When there are obvious factory issues (horribly cracked up dash for example) and chrysler corp. refuses to do anything about it do they expect us to continue to buy their vehicles? I have had even worse luck with our 2003 Grand Caravan that I bought almost new. I would put it in the lemon category (transmission, cpu, entire brake system, torque converter, power steering, unknown vibration even after new tires and so on and all with only 90,000 miles on it currently). I am done buying Chrysler corp products (except for my old muscle cars), in fact I picked up our Toyota Corolla yesterday. Chrysler corp. needs to start over and completely rethink how they do business as well as the engineering that goes into their vehicles. If they can't maybe it is time to close the doors.

- , Bennington, KS, USA

Jun 042008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

My a/c blower motor will run while the ignition is off sometimes but now it will not blow air.

- , Odessa, TX, USA

Jul 202007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab. Purchased new in Dec 2001. I am on my 3rd A/C condenser fan, my 2nd blower motor, and every single power lock has stopped working. The connector in the steering column melted, and on 2 trips over 300 miles each, the truck was under 20,000 miles, the engine light came on and the engine RPM increased dramatically. Once I stopped, the transmission slipped and I could barely make it through an intersection on the service road. Now the engine light is on, and I have a internal control power module check sum error problem. I purchased the extended warranty which covered 3 of the power locks, 1 of the A/C condenser fans, and the melted connector. I replaced the blower motor fan myself ($100+ for the fan through the dealership). The 3rd condenser fan set me back $500, dealership quote for another power lock installed is over $250, and I hate to see what the computer checksum error will cost. I don't think I will buy another Dodge Ram.

- , Arlington, TX, USA