CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (274 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (94 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (15 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 13 of 25)

Mar 102010

Ram 1500 SEL

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

try to pull up and cracked dash board and it cut me, cost is to much to replace afraid this problem might damage electronics and damage defroster vents and the looks are very intimadating and don't what other problems could arise.

Update from Nov 17, 2010: it is a 3500 not a 1500

Update from Aug 21, 2011: I now have two big holes in my dash one is about 8x10 inches and the other is about 7x9 inches its is time that Dodge step up and omit that they put faulty dash in these trucks, come be the company that you should be and make right.

- , Montevallo, AL, USA

Jul 152007

Ram 1500

dash is now in five sections and is a real pain. there are pieces falling off and dodge needs to take care of this situation or next time i will be forced to buy a japanese truck to keep it together.

- , Johnson City, TN, USA

Apr 122006

Ram 1500 SLE 4.7L

Dash Boards definitely should last longer than than it takes to pay the car off in 4 years. This is a shame. The dash board has gaping cracks in it that are impossible to fix. I've given up all hope to fix and a replacement costs way too much so I have hid this ugly situation by covering with a Dashmat. This is only temporary though. Someday soon the whole dash mat will probably fall into the instrument panel...

Then I'll take the dashmat off and ride around for the whole world to see the CRAPPY materials that DODGE uses in it cars. That will speak volumes all by itself and should lead people to buy more of their trucks....NOT!

- , Tampa, FL, USA

May 202004

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I really like my truck ecept for the dashboard coming apart like it has. Dodge needs to recall these dashboards and have the problem fixed. I know serval people with Dodge Truks and have this same problem. At this present time I do not know if I will buy another Dodge or not, because the dashboard all to pieces in my truck.

- , Coldwater, MS, USA

Jun 012007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.6

I bought this truck in 07, with one crack. I though it wasn't too bad, and I could fix it myself. WRONG! Soon after, there were multiple cracks, and it seemed like there was a new one every time I went over a bump or hit a pothole. I am very partial to Dodges, seeing how I used to work for them, but if this continues, I will take my business elsewhere. I cant afford $400 to put in a new dash, even if I do the work myself!!

- , Indian Head, MD, USA

Oct 182010

Ram 1500 LT 4.7L

dodge has issues, if they want to be consider american made they need to back there product. Its no wonder american autos are losing sales. I am from th generation who lived breathed and died for the american auto industry.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 012008

Ram 1500 SRT

The dash (very top next to the windhshield) on my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 began cracking with less than 50,000 miles and around the 4-5 year mark. Between 50-60,000, the entire top portioin of the dash cracked into pieces and fell behind the dash and into the a/c vents. I purchased a new top cover from an auto replacement parts company online for over $100 but it is a non-stock item and does not fit well. Now, the next section is cracked in half...i wonder how much this will cost me. maybe I should just sell this POS and buy a Tundra!

WHAT A POS!! I CANNOT BELIEVE I SPENT SO MUCH MONEY ON A TRUCK WITH POS PARTS. Not to mention, I have been screwed at the dealer twice!! I agreed to 7.1% financing and a month later i learned they submitted it at 7.3%- BASTARDS!!. Then i go to have one of the door mirrors fixed. The mechanic told me he would do it free if I got additional services. I agreed..LATER TO FIND OUT IT WAS A WARRANTY ITEM THEY WERE REQUIRED TO FIX FOR FREE. BASTARDS! I AM SO DONE WITH DODGE IT IS NOT EVEN FUNNY! HEY DODGE CEO RALPH GILLES - FU!

- , Port Saint Lucie, FL, US

Jul 012006

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Just what happened to the phase "RAM TOUGH" I've had my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 since it was new; I had installed a carpeted dash cover a few months after I bought the truck so the dashboard would be protected from the sun. I even installed a retractable accordion style Sunshade.

In mid 2005, I was cleaning the Interior and removed the cover only to find three cracks in my dashboard, Since then I have noted more and more cracks to the point that now I have holes and pieces of dashboard falling down inside the A/C ducts and into the wiring of the dash area, also I should mention that since these pieces have fallen into the ducts, my A/C unit is not working properly in that the internal doors to divert hot and cold air are being blocked by these broken pieces and no longer open or close.

i feel that Dodge needs to man up and put out a recall. Look, I love my truck, it's my third one, and I've been a loyal customer for many many years. It's now time for Dodge to show their loyalty to its customers!!!

- , Sunrise, FL, USA

May 112010

Ram 1500 4.6L

Dash looks horrible! I have 4 racks now and it looks awful. Dodge quoted the replacement piece at $317 dollars, not counting labor. Definitely too expensive to have repaired now. If problem not acknowledged or repaired, it will weigh heavily on my decision to purchase another Ram in the future!

- , Gibsonville, NC, USA

Jul 272007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.6L V8

It is really good to find that I am not alone with the problem of the dashboard cracking. I am extremely upset with Dodge for not even responding to my request for help with this problem. I thought I was fighting this all by myself. Maybe if we all work together we can convince Dodge to take responsibility for all of our dasboards. My dodge now has 6 cracks and it appears that it will never stop.

- , Stephens City, VA, USA

Oct 082010

Ram 1500 287

I HAVE BOUGHT 2 NEW TRUCKS AND 1 VAN FROM DODGE.IF THIS PROBLEM IS NOT FIXED SOON BY DODGE I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER ONE

- , Rockingham, NC, USA

Oct 042010

Ram 1500 SLT

to all you guys and girls, get in touch with me, i have a case going on more power against dodge's poorly maf dash b, nhtsa , also have safety issue against then by my senator

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

May 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Sure I live where it is hot in Texas, But I have never had any other car/make have this problem to this extent, and it is getting worse.

- , Houston, TX, US

Sep 152010

Ram 1500 5.4L

We just had this problem in this truck. Our other truck - the whole dash is caved in, plus the instrument panel front fell off!

Update from Jan 14, 2011: I wanted to let everyone know after contacting Dodge and spending several months on this issue, I finally got this dash replaced last week for $100 "deductible". While it was a little time consuming that is much better than the $1120 I was quoted from the dealership!

Update from Jan 14, 2011: Also, don't jump on the first offer they give you. They initially told me they would fix this for $250. Then my case manager for our other truck called and said they would fix it for $100 (after initially being quoted an estimated 30-35% of the $1141 quoted by the dealership). I asked to speak to the case managers manager on this case and ended up getting it for $100 as well. Maybe could've gotten it for even less, but I was happy with $100!

- , Concord, GA, USA

Oct 102010

Ram 1500

Oh My, so I am a first time truck buyer, and I finally get a truck of my Dreams... a Dodge!! We went on a little road trip to Denver just to break her in and Sunday morning I came out to jump start a car, and BAMB! I saw it! This huge crack in my baby's dashboard. At first I thought someone must have hit me, but then as I was looking for damage on the outside, none was to be found. This is really depressing and I asked my friends if they where just being stupid last night, with the answer being, "it wasn't cracked when I parked it last night". I then found on the passenger side that it had cracked again. :( I got even more depressed when I found out how much it would be to replace a dashboard. Hi, I am a college student trying to pay for school and my truck on a part time wage. I hope Dodge will get this problem fixed soon! I don't want to have to switch to driving a, "Blah", ford.

- , Bear River City, UT, USA

Jan 012005

Ram 1500 SLT

This is obviously a defective part. Dodge should replace the dashboards

- , Schertz, TX, USA

Apr 012010

Ram 1500 v6

my dash is simply crumbling. it has sharp, jagged edges and we must be careful with it.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 082009

Ram 1500 1500 4.7L V8

One would think that Chrysler would have some type of corporate customer relations department that would have at least a high school degree of understanding customer service and brand image.

When I called Dodge about this issue, they are fully aware of their inferior materials used for these dashes. Their level of "not our problem" is totally ridiculous. Even though I have had my problem escallated up to three levels of supervisors (I am sure there are a lot more levels that I must go through - again : more work for the consumer) they all have been trained that the organization is not going to assist the end user in this manufacture defect.

I too talk to many Dodge owners and encourage them to put up as many posts on any blog, complaint website, and contact Dodge to spread the word. This is truly a buyer beware scenario that should be approached from a legal / government standpoint. I am sure that the government response will be similar to Dodge's, but it is worth the try. It just amazes me that in today's customer driven environment, they are willing and allowing this type of negativity to be connected to the brand.

Like many of you, I would understand if I was one of a few, however, this affects a tremendous amount of current Dodge owners - which more than likely will not be in the future.

At some point, you have to admit your mistakes (again, they know it's jacked up) - but acting on correcting your mistakes is what defines you. Dodge: Your choice on the direction you will take --- We will make our future vehicle (and try to influence others) choices on your actions.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

May 042010

Ram 1500 1500 5.9L

there is no reason for dodge not to take responsibility for a defective item. Dodge should replace all part that is defective.

- , Omaha, NE, USA

May 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Local Dodge dealership wants $2,550 to replace dash with another piece of crap like I have. My solution: Now that the government owns Dodge I feel like a portion of "my" tax dollars should go to fix my dash. I sure as hell don't want freeloaders buying drugs with my tax dollars!!!!!

- , Englewood, TN, USA