CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (269 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (90 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 13 of 25)

Oct 042010

Ram 1500 SLT

to all you guys and girls, get in touch with me, i have a case going on more power against dodge's poorly maf dash b, nhtsa , also have safety issue against then by my senator

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Sure I live where it is hot in Texas, But I have never had any other car/make have this problem to this extent, and it is getting worse.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Sep 152010

Ram 1500 5.4L

We just had this problem in this truck. Our other truck - the whole dash is caved in, plus the instrument panel front fell off!

Update from Jan 14, 2011: I wanted to let everyone know after contacting Dodge and spending several months on this issue, I finally got this dash replaced last week for $100 "deductible". While it was a little time consuming that is much better than the $1120 I was quoted from the dealership!

Update from Jan 14, 2011: Also, don't jump on the first offer they give you. They initially told me they would fix this for $250. Then my case manager for our other truck called and said they would fix it for $100 (after initially being quoted an estimated 30-35% of the $1141 quoted by the dealership). I asked to speak to the case managers manager on this case and ended up getting it for $100 as well. Maybe could've gotten it for even less, but I was happy with $100!

- , Concord, GA, USA

Oct 102010

Ram 1500

Oh My, so I am a first time truck buyer, and I finally get a truck of my Dreams... a Dodge!! We went on a little road trip to Denver just to break her in and Sunday morning I came out to jump start a car, and BAMB! I saw it! This huge crack in my baby's dashboard. At first I thought someone must have hit me, but then as I was looking for damage on the outside, none was to be found. This is really depressing and I asked my friends if they where just being stupid last night, with the answer being, "it wasn't cracked when I parked it last night". I then found on the passenger side that it had cracked again. :( I got even more depressed when I found out how much it would be to replace a dashboard. Hi, I am a college student trying to pay for school and my truck on a part time wage. I hope Dodge will get this problem fixed soon! I don't want to have to switch to driving a, "Blah", ford.

- , Bear River City, UT, USA

Jan 012005

Ram 1500 SLT

This is obviously a defective part. Dodge should replace the dashboards

- , Schertz, TX, USA

Apr 012010

Ram 1500 v6

my dash is simply crumbling. it has sharp, jagged edges and we must be careful with it.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 082009

Ram 1500 1500 4.7L V8

One would think that Chrysler would have some type of corporate customer relations department that would have at least a high school degree of understanding customer service and brand image.

When I called Dodge about this issue, they are fully aware of their inferior materials used for these dashes. Their level of "not our problem" is totally ridiculous. Even though I have had my problem escallated up to three levels of supervisors (I am sure there are a lot more levels that I must go through - again : more work for the consumer) they all have been trained that the organization is not going to assist the end user in this manufacture defect.

I too talk to many Dodge owners and encourage them to put up as many posts on any blog, complaint website, and contact Dodge to spread the word. This is truly a buyer beware scenario that should be approached from a legal / government standpoint. I am sure that the government response will be similar to Dodge's, but it is worth the try. It just amazes me that in today's customer driven environment, they are willing and allowing this type of negativity to be connected to the brand.

Like many of you, I would understand if I was one of a few, however, this affects a tremendous amount of current Dodge owners - which more than likely will not be in the future.

At some point, you have to admit your mistakes (again, they know it's jacked up) - but acting on correcting your mistakes is what defines you. Dodge: Your choice on the direction you will take --- We will make our future vehicle (and try to influence others) choices on your actions.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

May 042010

Ram 1500 1500 5.9L

there is no reason for dodge not to take responsibility for a defective item. Dodge should replace all part that is defective.

- , Omaha, NE, USA

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Local Dodge dealership wants $2,550 to replace dash with another piece of crap like I have. My solution: Now that the government owns Dodge I feel like a portion of "my" tax dollars should go to fix my dash. I sure as hell don't want freeloaders buying drugs with my tax dollars!!!!!

- , Englewood, TN, USA

Nov 152009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I bought this Dodge in November and it has two small cracks in the dash now almost a year later I have 5 large ones. Just replaced the heater core and it was real fun trying to not have the dash break even more while removing!! Piece of crap Dodge!!

- , Spanaway, WA, USA

Sep 052008

Ram 1500 V6

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

I sure wish that Chrysler would step up to the plate and do a recall-the right thing.They have ignored this way to long and the world needs to know about their defects in this area. Please do the right thing and recall all vehicles affected,.

- , Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jan 312010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I can't believe Daimler Chrysler would not try to correct the problem with the dash problem on the Dodge trucks. I was proud to purchase my dodge; however, this will probably be my last. The dash on my 2002 Dodge ram began cracking in January of this year. I have kept it on the carport whenever it was not on the road. It started with one 6 inch crack in the main dash over the glove box from the leading edge toward the windshield. Then the rear section cracked in the middle from windshield to midsection and now the speaker grill has fallen out and two perpendicular cracks about 8 inches each have formed a cross.

The main dash cover has now cracked from front edge all the way to where the front & rear sections meet. The crack has gotten wider and seems to be separating. The last crack to appear was on the rear piece right behind the steering wheel. Dodge should recall these trucks with a cracked dash. God forbid me from having a wreck that would put my body in contact with this dash. The edges of these cracks would probably be sharp. Dodge should recall the trucks with these dashes from a safety standpoint.

- , Shelby, NC, USA

May 012005

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

Dodge should step up and fix these cheap parts that they are installing....

- , Durham, NC, USA

Ram 1500 SLE 4.7L V6

I spent good money on what is supposed to be a really nice truck and in a few short years the dash board starts cracking like the dried up mud in the bottom of an old mud puddle, yuk! I hope Dodge as some sort of guilt complex we all can zero in on with this problem!

- , Blue Springs, MO, USA

Jun 102005

Ram 1500

My Dodge only had one crack in the dash and now the whole dash is falling apart. Everyday I get in it there is a new crack. I think it may just disinigrate one day. It is a huge concern of mine I wonder what will happen to those pieces if we get in an accident. If my teenager gets hurt with dasboard shrapnel you can bet I will be press charges against Dodge. Toyota is looking pretty good at this point. So much for Dodge Rams being Ram Tough. The only thing tough it sounds like is getting them to do a recall on the Dashboards. False advertisment on Dodges part.

- , Glen Lyon, PA, USA

Jan 082010

Ram 1500 ST 3.6L

THE CRACKED DASH BOARD BRINGS THE VALUE OF THE VEHICLE DOWN WAY BELOW WHAT IT IS WORTH, I THINK THERE SHOULD BE A RECALL ON THE DASH BOARDS IT'S OBVIOUS THEY ARE DEFECTIVE. IT REALLY GIVES DODGE A BAD NAME SINCE THEY WONT MAKE IT RIGHT FOR THE CONSUMERS THAT BOUGHT THEIR PRODUCTS. I PERSONALLY WOULD NEVER CONSIDER BUYING OR RECOMMENDING ANOTHER DODGE VEHICLE UNTIL THEY CAN STAND BEHIND THE PRODUCTS THAT THEY SELL.

- , Tulsa, OK, USA

Aug 132010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

literally a perfect truck EXCEPT for the dash--It is so hard to believe that a $26,000 truck has a $10.00 dash instaled at the factory but wants over $400.00 to fix---My first and my LAST Chrysler product--Now you know why they are almost out of business and need Fiats to turn there fortunes around---Very sad day in America---

- , Indio, CA, USA

Aug 032010

Ram 1500 5.7L V8

The cracks began appearing on the "inner" dash near the windshield and then branched to the part that pushes up against that piece but in a different place. A week later, another crack appeared a few inches down and yesterday another appeared directly over the glove box. The dashboard is literally dissolving right before our eyes.

Dodge needs to do something about this inferior material they used to manufacture the dashboards from and if anyone is interested in joining a class action lawsuit against Dodge, I will see if my attorney will file or research to see if one has been filed already. Just drop me a line at mls3@charter.net. Send pictures and descriptions along with you name, address, and email, and phone # for the attorneys. We have got to stop being duped by companies that think we are going to sit around and just take this crap from them and still pay $20,000 to $30,000+ for their crappy products!!

- , Alabaster, AL, USA

Jan 012006

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I am just one of the many Irate Dodge owners that love their truck but feel disgusted when getting in it and seeing the dashboard in pieces. I would like to state that I have always kept my dashboard armoralled from day one. I will not buy another Dodge due to this problem and dodge not stepping up and fixing the defect.

- , Smyrna, TN, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

The dash in my 2002 ram 1500 looks like crap. I take excellent care of my truck and now I am ashamed of the interior. Dodge really has disappointed me by not recalling this defect.

- , Jeffersonville, IN, USA