CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (269 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (90 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 14 of 25)

May 012008

Ram 1500 V8

I am not really suprised to find all the complaints about the gosh awful cracks. Just started with a hairline but is now several large cracks across the top and now beginning to run toward the front of the dash and down. It is very, very ugly looking. I have checked into replacing the dash, but quite frankly have no confidence i any product and the cost is ridiculous! I too believe Dodge should step up to the plate and recall this crap!

- , Kerrville, TX, USA

Apr 072010

Ram 1500 1500 4.7L V8

What a piece of crap. Although I like my truck, I will never purchase another Dodge product again. I intentionally put a sun visor in my window daily to protect the dash. In the span of 2 months, I have cracks popping up in the dash on a daily basis (currently 5). The biggest problem is that they continue to spread and there is nothing I can do to stop them. You pay that much money for a vehicle, you shouldn't have that sort of eye sore looking at you on a daily basis! I want Dodge to fix it.

- , Savannah, GA, USA

Dec 012004

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Why can't Dodge make a dash that doesn't crack??? I can't purchase another Dodge until I KNOW this has been addressed and fixed. In the market now in fact and will have to look onward. I own a 20 yr. old Mazda Miata, driven exclusively in the texas sun and heat, dash still in great condition. My Dodge truck had for two freakin years and the dash cracked. I kept masking the cracks but now the dash has completely disintegrated. I had to buy a new dash cap to cover all the missing dash pieces. Overall I am relatively pleased with the truck but this dash issue is HUGE to the majority of us who care about the way our vehicles look. Dodge management... hear us now or suffer the consequences later. How many people just live with the problem and don't say anything?????

- , Helotes, TX, USA

Aug 082008

Ram 1500 Side Molding 3.6lV8

this one with dashboard is really too much. - Need fix from dodge.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Nov 132007

Ram 1500 Sport Cab 4.7L

my dash is so cracked up and no one will touch it for under 500.00 nice one dodge! you all really need to put a recall on this its very dangerous...

- , Nashville, TN, USA

Jul 012007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

The damper in the A/C went bad (another Dodge problem) and my wife wouldn't stop complaining about not getting any cool air on her side. So, I took the car to the shop to get it fixed. They told me $250 to diagnose, I said OK. They called back and told me what the problem was and upped the cost to $750. I said OK. They called back that afternoon and said the dash was so badly cracked every time they took a screw out it fell apart some more. By the time they got it apart, the dash was in 5 pieces and there was no way they were getting it back together. So, they found me a used one for $550, bringing the total to over $1200 bucks. Next time, I'll just use some duct tape.

- , Yuma, AZ, USA

May 062010

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

I had to replace the very front part of the dash, but it was under warranty. I had notice estimated 6 months prior to this new crack a few hair cracks on the passenger side. One day I got to work and notice this huge crack going down the center of the dash closest to the driver, away from the windshield. Also now the front control for the seat will not go up and down. The rear passenger power lock is not working now. There has always been a mystery odor coming from the AC. That's all my recent complaints.

Update from Jan 5, 2011: The crack has gotten worst. Now I have a big hole in my dash. Dodge I hope you read this. I will never buy a dodge at this point. You would have to kiss a lot to make up for your negligence. Also I had a problem with my read differential as over 300 others. Clutch pack retain clips ring a bell. This is all under 70k I bought this truck new in 2002. I'm in the market for another it would of been Dodge but not now. Dodge you suck!

- , Longwood, FL, USA

Mar 202005

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

The dash still crack while driving. One piece flew out and hit me in the face, I had to get a dash pad to cover further flying debris. I feel this is a safety issue as well. I WILL GO BACK TO CHEVROLET IF THEY DON'T RESOLVE THIS SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Goose Creek, SC, USA

Apr 012009

Ram 1500 5.7L V8

The cracks on the dashboard stated just before I went to Afghanistan for the Army. I got back the 1st of June and the Dashboard is just falling apart. Before I left the Dash was wiped down once a week with Armour All. Now that I have picked up the truck again the first thing that I have to due now is find a replacement for the dash since it has broken in three parts with many smaller cracks across the larger pices.

- , Fort Pierce, Flordia, USA

Jul 012009

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

Having a mint condition Ram Quad Cab Sport with the 20" wheels with not a scratch on it, it's too bad the front portion of the dashboard has disintegrated. I'm disappointed with this everytime I get in my truck. My son's 2003 has done the same thing - this alone will make me think hard before buying another Dodge in the future. It wouldn't be so bad if the part was inexpensive, but from reading on here they want hundreds for 50 cents worth of plastic, that's only going to do the same thing again.

- , Peachtree City, GA, USA

Jan 012004

Ram 1500 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Dodge should address and fix this rampant problem if they want to keep the few customers that they still have.

- , Indian Harbour Beach, FL, USA

Nov 072007

Ram 1500 4.7L

cracked dash like everyone else who owns this vehicle. Factory sent me to dealer and de;aer sent info to factory. Want me to pay for large portion of repair as vehicle has a lot of miles NOW. Had I been aware thaqt the dash was cheap and faulty I would have brought in sooner. I just figured it was because of AZ heat. Now I see even people back east have same problem. Dodge needs to ste up and recall this already.

- , Surprise, AZ, USA

Sep 012008

Ram 1500 1500 5.9L

When i bought my truck i didnt notice any cracks in the dash . I took care to protect it dash mat , sun shades . I was cleanind my truck and looked undered the dash mat and oh my god the whole dash is nothing but cracks . Now after looking on the internet for a new dash i find out all dodge owners have this problem . I thought it was from the arizona heat but now im not sure about that . It seems to happen everywhere . Maybe a lawyer might get Dodge to notice the problem .

- , Casa Grande, AZ, USA

Aug 062009

Ram 1500 V8

The dash is cracking all over. It is a pain in the ass just to know that i paid that much for such a defect that should have been recalled by the company. Do they really care about just selling the product and making much or about these complaints that are posted all over the internet?

- , Wetumpka, AL, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500

I think that it's absolutely ridiculous that chrysler doesn't recall this problem. This is my second dodge ram that I have bought brand new and I will never buy another chrysler product because they don't live up to my expectations. Oh and by the way----my truck is very clean and I never sit anything on my dash.

Thank you.

- , Lake Jackson, TX, USA

May 012010

Ram 1500 SLT V8

Dodge wants me to pay $638.46 to repair my cracked dash They say thats 50% on a defective part will never buy Dodge was just about to buy a charger but now will never buy Dodge again

- , Naples, FL, USA

Sep 072007

Ram 1500 V6

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

When I first purchased the truck it had already had a few minor cracks in the dash. I did not think nothing of it. I felt that I could get a dash cover and put over the dash to cover the cracks. As time moved on I have big chuncks out of the dash as you can see in the attached pictures. My truck is starting to fall apart just like the other 300+ people complaining on here. Unfortunately, I am a full time medical student and my funds are very limited for replacing non essital truck parts.

When I first started noticing that cracks in the dash were becoming more noticible and big holes in the dash were forming, I thought that maybe it was the heat from the sun causing the damage. I had invested in a dash cover and a window visor to put up in the window to try and protect it from the sun's intense rays. That did not help. I would like to find out how to have my dash fixed for as cheap as possible for I can not afford a note right now. However the next time I buy a car I will make sure it is either a honda or a toyota because these American made vehicles are starting to become like the people who make them. "Expensive but not worth a damn".

- , Houston, TX, USA

Feb 022010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I first noticed that the defroster vent grates were cracked and when I touched one of them

it just crumbled and fell into the air vent, then about a week later I saw a small crack in the front part of the dashboard just above the speedometer, now, as I am writing this complaint it is so badly cracked that pieces are falling in the floorboard and the blower motor now has pieces in it and it is making a noise. Is dodge going to do any thing to solve this problem? I was planing on buying a new Dodge charger but now I am going to reconsider and buy something FORD that doesn't literally fall apart!

Update from Jun 17, 2010: My cracked dash has made my truck undriveable all the broken pieces from the defrost vents has fallen into the fan and the A/C doesn't work and when it was cold it has affected switching from heat to cold the heater does not get hot and now all the wiring is exposed and the turn indicators don't work this is quickly becoming a saftey issue when will Dodge step up to the plate and do the RIGHT thing and fix the problem, even if I wanted to sell my truck how could I, who would buy it?

- , McKinney, TX, USA

Oct 182007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I have owned three Dodge Ram trucks. All three have had issues with the dash cracking

- , Lake Worth, FL, USA

Nov 022009

Ram 1500 3.7L

I can't believe my dash looks the way it does. My husband has an 1974 Chevy Pick up and his dash looks better than mine. I couldn't believe the cracks - they started around the vents and now they have started on the upper part of the dash. I have kept my truck clean and in order it is so disappointing to see these cracks. I had to really watch my budget to pay for my truck each month until the truck was paid off. When I researched the internet and found out this was one of the number one complaints and Dodge has not done anything about it how disappointing. Dodge should recall the vehicles with this problem.

- , Cumming, GA, USA