CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (272 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (93 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 14 of 25)

May 012010

Ram 1500 SLE 4.7L V6

I spent good money on what is supposed to be a really nice truck and in a few short years the dash board starts cracking like the dried up mud in the bottom of an old mud puddle, yuk! I hope Dodge as some sort of guilt complex we all can zero in on with this problem!

- , Blue Springs, MO, USA

Jun 102005

Ram 1500

My Dodge only had one crack in the dash and now the whole dash is falling apart. Everyday I get in it there is a new crack. I think it may just disinigrate one day. It is a huge concern of mine I wonder what will happen to those pieces if we get in an accident. If my teenager gets hurt with dasboard shrapnel you can bet I will be press charges against Dodge. Toyota is looking pretty good at this point. So much for Dodge Rams being Ram Tough. The only thing tough it sounds like is getting them to do a recall on the Dashboards. False advertisment on Dodges part.

- , Glen Lyon, PA, USA

Jan 082010

Ram 1500 ST 3.6L

THE CRACKED DASH BOARD BRINGS THE VALUE OF THE VEHICLE DOWN WAY BELOW WHAT IT IS WORTH, I THINK THERE SHOULD BE A RECALL ON THE DASH BOARDS IT'S OBVIOUS THEY ARE DEFECTIVE. IT REALLY GIVES DODGE A BAD NAME SINCE THEY WONT MAKE IT RIGHT FOR THE CONSUMERS THAT BOUGHT THEIR PRODUCTS. I PERSONALLY WOULD NEVER CONSIDER BUYING OR RECOMMENDING ANOTHER DODGE VEHICLE UNTIL THEY CAN STAND BEHIND THE PRODUCTS THAT THEY SELL.

- , Tulsa, OK, USA

Aug 132010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

literally a perfect truck EXCEPT for the dash--It is so hard to believe that a $26,000 truck has a $10.00 dash instaled at the factory but wants over $400.00 to fix---My first and my LAST Chrysler product--Now you know why they are almost out of business and need Fiats to turn there fortunes around---Very sad day in America---

- , Indio, CA, USA

Aug 032010

Ram 1500 5.7L V8

The cracks began appearing on the "inner" dash near the windshield and then branched to the part that pushes up against that piece but in a different place. A week later, another crack appeared a few inches down and yesterday another appeared directly over the glove box. The dashboard is literally dissolving right before our eyes.

Dodge needs to do something about this inferior material they used to manufacture the dashboards from and if anyone is interested in joining a class action lawsuit against Dodge, I will see if my attorney will file or research to see if one has been filed already. Just drop me a line at mls3@charter.net. Send pictures and descriptions along with you name, address, and email, and phone # for the attorneys. We have got to stop being duped by companies that think we are going to sit around and just take this crap from them and still pay $20,000 to $30,000+ for their crappy products!!

- , Alabaster, AL, USA

Jan 012006

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I am just one of the many Irate Dodge owners that love their truck but feel disgusted when getting in it and seeing the dashboard in pieces. I would like to state that I have always kept my dashboard armoralled from day one. I will not buy another Dodge due to this problem and dodge not stepping up and fixing the defect.

- , Smyrna, TN, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

The dash in my 2002 ram 1500 looks like crap. I take excellent care of my truck and now I am ashamed of the interior. Dodge really has disappointed me by not recalling this defect.

- , Jeffersonville, IN, US

May 012008

Ram 1500 V8

I am not really suprised to find all the complaints about the gosh awful cracks. Just started with a hairline but is now several large cracks across the top and now beginning to run toward the front of the dash and down. It is very, very ugly looking. I have checked into replacing the dash, but quite frankly have no confidence i any product and the cost is ridiculous! I too believe Dodge should step up to the plate and recall this crap!

- , Kerrville, TX, USA

Apr 072010

Ram 1500 1500 4.7L V8

What a piece of crap. Although I like my truck, I will never purchase another Dodge product again. I intentionally put a sun visor in my window daily to protect the dash. In the span of 2 months, I have cracks popping up in the dash on a daily basis (currently 5). The biggest problem is that they continue to spread and there is nothing I can do to stop them. You pay that much money for a vehicle, you shouldn't have that sort of eye sore looking at you on a daily basis! I want Dodge to fix it.

- , Savannah, GA, USA

Dec 012004

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Why can't Dodge make a dash that doesn't crack??? I can't purchase another Dodge until I KNOW this has been addressed and fixed. In the market now in fact and will have to look onward. I own a 20 yr. old Mazda Miata, driven exclusively in the texas sun and heat, dash still in great condition. My Dodge truck had for two freakin years and the dash cracked. I kept masking the cracks but now the dash has completely disintegrated. I had to buy a new dash cap to cover all the missing dash pieces. Overall I am relatively pleased with the truck but this dash issue is HUGE to the majority of us who care about the way our vehicles look. Dodge management... hear us now or suffer the consequences later. How many people just live with the problem and don't say anything?????

- , Helotes, TX, USA

Aug 082008

Ram 1500 Side Molding 3.6lV8

this one with dashboard is really too much. - Need fix from dodge.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Nov 132007

Ram 1500 Sport Cab 4.7L

my dash is so cracked up and no one will touch it for under 500.00 nice one dodge! you all really need to put a recall on this its very dangerous...

- , Nashville, TN, USA

Jul 012007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

The damper in the A/C went bad (another Dodge problem) and my wife wouldn't stop complaining about not getting any cool air on her side. So, I took the car to the shop to get it fixed. They told me $250 to diagnose, I said OK. They called back and told me what the problem was and upped the cost to $750. I said OK. They called back that afternoon and said the dash was so badly cracked every time they took a screw out it fell apart some more. By the time they got it apart, the dash was in 5 pieces and there was no way they were getting it back together. So, they found me a used one for $550, bringing the total to over $1200 bucks. Next time, I'll just use some duct tape.

- , Yuma, AZ, USA

May 062010

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

I had to replace the very front part of the dash, but it was under warranty. I had notice estimated 6 months prior to this new crack a few hair cracks on the passenger side. One day I got to work and notice this huge crack going down the center of the dash closest to the driver, away from the windshield. Also now the front control for the seat will not go up and down. The rear passenger power lock is not working now. There has always been a mystery odor coming from the AC. That's all my recent complaints.

Update from Jan 5, 2011: The crack has gotten worst. Now I have a big hole in my dash. Dodge I hope you read this. I will never buy a dodge at this point. You would have to kiss a lot to make up for your negligence. Also I had a problem with my read differential as over 300 others. Clutch pack retain clips ring a bell. This is all under 70k I bought this truck new in 2002. I'm in the market for another it would of been Dodge but not now. Dodge you suck!

- , Longwood, FL, USA

Mar 202005

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

The dash still crack while driving. One piece flew out and hit me in the face, I had to get a dash pad to cover further flying debris. I feel this is a safety issue as well. I WILL GO BACK TO CHEVROLET IF THEY DON'T RESOLVE THIS SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Goose Creek, SC, USA

Apr 012009

Ram 1500 5.7L V8

The cracks on the dashboard stated just before I went to Afghanistan for the Army. I got back the 1st of June and the Dashboard is just falling apart. Before I left the Dash was wiped down once a week with Armour All. Now that I have picked up the truck again the first thing that I have to due now is find a replacement for the dash since it has broken in three parts with many smaller cracks across the larger pices.

- , Fort Pierce, Flordia, USA

Jul 012009

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

Having a mint condition Ram Quad Cab Sport with the 20" wheels with not a scratch on it, it's too bad the front portion of the dashboard has disintegrated. I'm disappointed with this everytime I get in my truck. My son's 2003 has done the same thing - this alone will make me think hard before buying another Dodge in the future. It wouldn't be so bad if the part was inexpensive, but from reading on here they want hundreds for 50 cents worth of plastic, that's only going to do the same thing again.

- , Peachtree City, GA, USA

Jan 012004

Ram 1500 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Dodge should address and fix this rampant problem if they want to keep the few customers that they still have.

- , Indian Harbour Beach, FL, USA

Nov 072007

Ram 1500 4.7L

cracked dash like everyone else who owns this vehicle. Factory sent me to dealer and de;aer sent info to factory. Want me to pay for large portion of repair as vehicle has a lot of miles NOW. Had I been aware thaqt the dash was cheap and faulty I would have brought in sooner. I just figured it was because of AZ heat. Now I see even people back east have same problem. Dodge needs to ste up and recall this already.

- , Surprise, AZ, USA

Sep 012008

Ram 1500 1500 5.9L

When i bought my truck i didnt notice any cracks in the dash . I took care to protect it dash mat , sun shades . I was cleanind my truck and looked undered the dash mat and oh my god the whole dash is nothing but cracks . Now after looking on the internet for a new dash i find out all dodge owners have this problem . I thought it was from the arizona heat but now im not sure about that . It seems to happen everywhere . Maybe a lawyer might get Dodge to notice the problem .

- , Casa Grande, AZ, USA