CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (271 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (92 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 18 of 25)

Jul 212008

Ram 1500 V8 Magnum 4.7L V8

I love my Dodge. Take total pride in it over Ford, Chevy, Nissan, and everyone else. The only model truck that has ever looked good to me was an 02' Dodge Ram 1500. My reason for this is that all the models before and even the newer ones just don't have that same body style. The grills are either too boxy or slanted forward, the logo is in the center of the tail gate, and I could just go on for minutes on end about why I like my truck... Every Thursday, I detail my truck, and go night cruising on Friday and Saturday nights... Well, when I first bought the truck, I bought it from a mechanic that worked at the Dodge dealership, and he had taken complete care of it, and it only had 95,000 miles on it, which wasn't bad considering it was my first vehicle... I noticed a few cracks in the dash, but they were only hairline fractures, so I sucked it up and dealt with it for the time being... I went and bought not one, but two UV window guards, and double stacked them (knowing I wouldn't get a much better result) and left them in the window blocking all sunlight from hitting the dash... I would sit for minutes trying to make sure I had it covered perfect... Using them so much is why my visor is failing now from putting it down and up so much, now it just wants to stay down... I would even park facing West at night cause in the morning, the sun would rise in the East, and I wouldn't be up in time to turn it around... As of today, August 11, 2009, the dash has cracked all the way from the front left driver's side, right the the point above the gauges where the dash ends above the steering wheel... I don't want to sit here and have to fork out $1200 just to replace it with another dash that is going to end up with the same fate... I personally think that Dodge should have done a recall a LONG time ago and replaced them with ZERO service charge, cause customers don't sit here and pay their thousands upon thousands of hard earned cash for a vehicle with a dash that isn't going to last more than a few years... Yes, I could picture cracked dashes on vehicles that are in junk yards that aren't taken care of period and just rot in the sun and rain... But on vehicles owned by proud owners of a Dodge, that love their vehicle with a passion and take complete care of it, no... The government should force some kind of recall to be made...

- , Grenada, MS, USA

Sep 102008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Another another Dodge Ram dash to the cash for clunkers pile. Does anybody know of a reasonable fix? Why would I want to pay $1200 to put another piece of crap Dodge part on there.

- , Beverly Hills, CA, US

Aug 032009

Ram 1500 SLT V8

Everyone is bitching about it but where can I find a cheap fix for this piece of SH*T dash!!!

- , Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Jul 102008

Ram 1500 V6

Man i noticed a slight crack in my dash about a year ago and never really thought too terribly much of it then earlier this year my one crack turned into 5 different cracks across my dash!! 2 cracks are starting to form together so i have an awful feeling a huge chunk of my dash is gonna fall out. This is such bs cuz since dodge was such a reputible company i never expected to see such poor quality like that. I would say dodge should definatly replace them since its their fault for making it so cheaply...but we all know where dodge is headed right now so i'm not gonna hold my breath. Its just a really big disappoitment that they manufactured their vehicle like that. I'll never own another dodge after this...

- , Glendale, AZ, USA

Sep 152006

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

This is absolutely ridiculous. Dodge boast a 5 Star Dealership, that is a crock. Obviously they do not care about it's customers, all they care about is selling vehicles. This is obviously a Dodge issue and they should stand by their product and fix what they broke or made cheaply. I brought my truck new, in fact I traded in a 1999 F-150 King Cab with small side door. This was the first new vehicle I ever brought, should I say thankyou.

- , Columbia, SC, USA

Jul 152008

Ram 1500 V6

Dashboard cracked in a major way. Then, when I was wiping off the dashboard with a soft cloth after spraying it with cleaner, most of the vents simply disintegrated and dropped into the system.

- , Angier, NC, USA

Nov 202008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I checked with a dealer in southern Oklahoma while getting a seperate problem fixed and was quoted around $1200 just for the parts. I saw the cracks growing over the past couple of years and they seemed at one point to stop growing but the wife reached across the top of the dash to retrieve an item she had placed there and that is when it really went down hill. When she grabbed the item her fingers brushed against the a defrost vent which simply disintegrated. When the pieces fell into the duct below not only did the airflow to the defrost get stopped but we also get minimal airflow through the rest of the ventilation system although the AC/Heater and fan fan still seems to work ing fine. I have not noticed that the amount of airflow to the defroster would not be adequate to keep ice build up from forming under cold wet conditions,

Would this qualify as a safety hazard?

- , Leander, TX, US

Jun 152007

Ram 1500 XLT 4.7L

My dash has been steadily cracking for two years now. Finally today an entire piece broke free. This problem is more widely spread than these postings would have you believe. Dodge (Chrysler corp) knows they screwed this one up trying to save a buck, they need to be held accountable for this mess. Thanks for nothing NHTSA, yah your safe as long as you don't slide your hand across your dashboard... what a joke!

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 072009

Ram 1500 5.9L

I really upset with the cracking of my dash over the last month. I take very good care of my truck. Most people can not believe that is is a 2002 truck. In the last month I noticed a crack by the vent then over the last few weeks i started seeing cracks in several area on the dash. I guess at this point I am going to have to replace it or cover it. At least I am not the only one experiencing this problem.

- , Woodbridge, V, USA

Jun 062009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

My 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 that is in mint condition has now got dashboard cracking problems. It started with one crack in it, now it has five and the vents for the dash speakers are starting to fall apart. I have read many complaints about this problem. When I talked to dealer about the problem, they acted like I was the only one that has this problem. Now that Chrysler is collapsing I guess we are all SOL. Also since we have had our tax money go to help Chrysler restructure I think that we can demand to have this problem fixed at no charge. WHAT THE HELL AM I THINKING! The hard working,tax paying people always get it right in the crack of our ass.

- , Hendersonville, TN, US

Jul 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

This problem shows just one of the many annoying problems that the dodge truck is plagued by which proves dodge should build a better quality truck that is as tough as it looks and should fix the problems that are plaguing dodge truck owners.

- , Panama City, FL, USA

Feb 062006

Ram 1500 SLT 4.6L V8

After the 5th crack appeared I started getting concerned and embarrassed about the situation but didn't really know what to do. Thinking that this was an isolated problem I started looking for solutions on the web and all I found were sites selling dash covers. I bought one but have noticed that the crack continue to grow under the cover.

After learning that this is a widespread problem I started looking deeper into it on the web and found out that there may be thousands of Dodge owners with this issue. Personally I do not plan to buy another Dodge vehicle unless I see that this issue has been resolved correctly. I would like to see a recall done so that these faulty parts can be replaced at the manufacturers expense. There is no reason why we, the vehicle owners, should pay for something that we originally paid for.

- , Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jul 012008

Ram 1500 SLT Plus 5.9L V8

Both the small 4-5" wide plastic strip adjacent to the Window, AND the main frontal Dashboard have cracked. Cosmetically, its ugly, but it causes the audio system to create buzzes (plastic dash vibrating against itself at cracks) which means the supposedly premium sound system now sounds like an old AM radio on a bad speaker. I would have fixed it but the dealer was backlogged with hundreds of requests for the part - and had been for 8 months. They said they couldn't get it. Dodge should have recalled or replaced these -- and I am glad they are going bankrupt now. Also if you are pro auto bailout - consider Chrysler got bailed out 25 years ago and didn't really fix their quality issue - my Ram was constantly in the shop for 7 years. Next stop - Toyota.

Update from May 6, 2009: Checked with the dealer again. The large front/top dash panel is $795 for the part only. The rear (approx 5") panel is not available at all - they can't even order it. I tried 4 times previously. Before they just said it was backordered. now, they say it can't be ordered at all.

$38K sticker price on this vehicle in 2002 when I bought it new. I didn't pay anywhere near that, but the point is this was getting into the premium price range for a truck at the time. What a pile of crap. I will never buy another chrysler product again. (Or anything from their spinoffs, bankruptcy reformations etc.) Chrysler products stink, just like they did before bailout #1 in the late 70's/early80's. They made them look a little nicer but never fixed their bad quality. What a sh*tty automobile.

- , Carmichael, CA, US

Apr 282009

Ram 1500 Sport

Just went into town and noticed a crack on the passenger side dash board about 6-7 inches long.. This has been my dream truck (fully loaded) and now I have a stupid crack in the dash. The truck looks BRAND NEW on the outside and was on the inside too until this. I have no idea how to fix it or if it can be fixed to look half way decent. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know! Thank you

- , Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Feb 082008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

At first I thought I had a random problem, until I started hearing the same complaint from friends and relatives. I purchased this vehicle brand new adding custom fender flares and steps, tonneau cover, vent visors etc. My truck has been garage kept since it was brand new. No dents, perfect paint yada yada yada. The dash panels started cracking like a Popsicle dropped from fifty feet. My Dodge dealer blew me off like a hurricane. We were ( and I mean WERE) a two vehicle Dodge/Chrysler family. We just unloaded my better halfs Sebring and the Ram is next to go. I will never purchase a Dodge or Chrysler again.

- , Laurel, DE, US

Oct 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I had a few cracks in my dash at first. Now they are all over. My vents for my defrost are all but gone. The ones that are still there are very brittle and could go at any moment. There should be a recall of this problem. I have a friend that has a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 and his is doing the same.

- , Gonzales, LA, USA

Jul 242007

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

I don't know about the other Dodge Ram fans but I'm a huge lover of the Ram. I always wanted this truck and when I finally got one I was the happiest person alive. But, I noticed not too long after I got it that there was a slight crack in the dash right in the middle. About a few weeks later the whole dash cracked all over the place and I big chunk broke off and now there's a huge hole in my dash. Not only that but my A/C goes out as well right after that. Are the two related ...I'm not sure. So I ask Dodge if this is a major problem and they tell me it's almost unspoken to them.

I showed the Service manager my problem and he quoted me $4,200 just to fix the dash and A/C which I believe should be a free replacement from Dodge. The truck is in great shape and I've always maintained it. It's my baby but this is BULL and Dodge is doing exactly what their name stands for, they're Dodging this problem. Way to go Dodge. Good way to keep your customers happy.

- , Wahiawa, HI, Pacific Islands (US)

Aug 012008

Ram 1500 5.9L

I also have cracks in my dash on my 02 Dodge Ram.This is the 3rd Dodge I have bought. Although the cracks are very annoying and ugly, this cosmetic problem will not stop me from buying another in the future. I do think that because this is a known problem Chrysler should make it easier and more affordable to fix or replace it, but I have to admit, I still LOVE my truck!

- , Eugene, OR, USA

Mar 012005

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

well i have a 2002 dodge ram sport got in one morning and saw the crack called dealer not cover under warranty so i ask what a new dash would cost the front half price is (400.00 ) dollars and main dash is (1400.00 ) dollars.that is why mine is still cracked.the rest of the truck is fine. i am done with dodge products i will not buy another one.

- , Scott, ARK, USA

Jun 152008

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

When I bought my truck it was only a year old and I really have taken excellent care of this truck. Summer of 08 all the sudden my dash just starts to crack. In a months time it has 3 huge cracks. I thought it was just a freak incident till I went online and read about how this happens all the time to Dodges.. I'm very upset because all these years I've kept her in mint condition and now due to the cracks it just looks like a piece of junk on the inside.

I'm not going to get rid of my truck but I am pissed off that this happened...

- , Starkville, MS, US