CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (272 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (94 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (15 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 19 of 25)

Oct 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I had a few cracks in my dash at first. Now they are all over. My vents for my defrost are all but gone. The ones that are still there are very brittle and could go at any moment. There should be a recall of this problem. I have a friend that has a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 and his is doing the same.

- , Gonzales, LA, USA

Jul 242007

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

I don't know about the other Dodge Ram fans but I'm a huge lover of the Ram. I always wanted this truck and when I finally got one I was the happiest person alive. But, I noticed not too long after I got it that there was a slight crack in the dash right in the middle. About a few weeks later the whole dash cracked all over the place and I big chunk broke off and now there's a huge hole in my dash. Not only that but my A/C goes out as well right after that. Are the two related ...I'm not sure. So I ask Dodge if this is a major problem and they tell me it's almost unspoken to them.

I showed the Service manager my problem and he quoted me $4,200 just to fix the dash and A/C which I believe should be a free replacement from Dodge. The truck is in great shape and I've always maintained it. It's my baby but this is BULL and Dodge is doing exactly what their name stands for, they're Dodging this problem. Way to go Dodge. Good way to keep your customers happy.

- , Wahiawa, HI, Pacific Islands (US)

Aug 012008

Ram 1500 5.9L

I also have cracks in my dash on my 02 Dodge Ram.This is the 3rd Dodge I have bought. Although the cracks are very annoying and ugly, this cosmetic problem will not stop me from buying another in the future. I do think that because this is a known problem Chrysler should make it easier and more affordable to fix or replace it, but I have to admit, I still LOVE my truck!

- , Eugene, OR, USA

Mar 012005

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

well i have a 2002 dodge ram sport got in one morning and saw the crack called dealer not cover under warranty so i ask what a new dash would cost the front half price is (400.00 ) dollars and main dash is (1400.00 ) dollars.that is why mine is still cracked.the rest of the truck is fine. i am done with dodge products i will not buy another one.

- , Scott, ARK, USA

Jun 152008

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

When I bought my truck it was only a year old and I really have taken excellent care of this truck. Summer of 08 all the sudden my dash just starts to crack. In a months time it has 3 huge cracks. I thought it was just a freak incident till I went online and read about how this happens all the time to Dodges.. I'm very upset because all these years I've kept her in mint condition and now due to the cracks it just looks like a piece of junk on the inside.

I'm not going to get rid of my truck but I am pissed off that this happened...

- , Starkville, MS, US

Aug 012006

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

My truck is a 2002 which I bought used in 2003 from Jekins Dodge in Lavale, MD with a 7 yr 70,000 mile warranty that has been totally a waste of my hard earned money. The truck has always been well taken care of by me. I went on vacation in 2006 and noticed a small crack in dashboard. After returning I took the truck back to the dealer and showed them the crack. I was told this was just regular wear and they would not repair it. I have complained both to Dodge and the dealer. My dashboard is now split down the middle. At times I have to take out the heater motor to remove pieces of plastic that have fallen in the vents. They should recall this problem at once. Chrysler hung the phone up on me after many calls. Lets make them fix this problem!

- , Cumberland, MD, USA

May 182008

Ram 1500

I bought my Ram 1500 New as a left over that someone ordered and decided not to buy. I actually did not ny the vehicle until around March of 2003, so it is just 6 years old to me. In May of 2008 I noticed a couple of small cracks in the dash, now there are 6 cracks in the dash i9ncludin one that goes all the way to the front over the glove box. This car has been meticulously cared for and when not being driven has had a windshield cover up and the windows slightly cracked on hot days.

I am extremely unhappy about this, and was told by the local dealer that I would have to pay for its replacement as Dodge would not cover the cost as defective. This is the second Ram I have own and will likely be the last! I will probably go back to Ford products after this.

The first Ram I owned was a 1998 Quad Cab 4X4. About 4 months and 3900 miles out of warranty the engine blew up after the truck over heated with no warning what so ever. The block cracked after the oil pump stopped working, however the oil pressure gauge indicated no problems.

I should have learned my lesson the first time!

On this cracked dashborad business maybe a class action law suit should be in order!

- , Beavercreek, OH, USA

Jun 152007

Ram 1500 5.9L 360z

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 360Z.... I have cracks in my dashboard and the plastic breaks into the vent and rattles whenever the defrost is on. Pieces fly out obstructing vision.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Feb 012008

Ram 1500 1500 4.7L V8

First off I own a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport. Back in February of 2008 I noticed my dash board beginning to crack almost in the dead center. It grew and grew until it reached the front of my dash, at which time another crack started to form on the passengers side dash. This problem is something that Chrysler should own up to, and fix like most auto makers do by issuing a RECALL!!. I am now stuck in "Certified Used Dodge" that has 75,000 miles on it ( 15,000 put on it since I bought it from S&S in Baltimore one year ago), and I have now had to replace the Radiator, water pump, thermostat, heater core, get the rest of the cooling system flushed, the ring and pinion replaced, and now the dash. Now I have never been one to complain, but this is the first Chrysler vehicle that I have ever purchased, and I have more problems with this truck in the one year that I have owned it than with all of the other cars I have owned in my life combined. To top it all off, this has less mile on it that my VW, Nissan, and GMC. To be perfectly honest, if Chrysler went under tomorrow I think that it would be nothing more than KARMA findly making its way to a company who has drained loyal Americans wallets to way to many years. I REFUSE TO EVER BUY ANOTHER CHRYSLER PRODUCT. My next problem is how the Dodge dealers handle these problems, its almost like they want you to never buy another car from them. The attitude you get from them when you walk in and tell them that the CERTIFIED USED truck you bought less than a year ago is falling apart is totally rude, and inconsiderate. They offer no help with anything, and expect you to make your payment on your vehicle that is falling apart quicker than you can put it back together ( financially ). I know this will make absolutely no impact on anything in regards to Chrysler, Dealers, or the problems with my truck, but it does feel good to get this off my chest. If anyone out there can take anything from this short blog please take this. I know more than 10 people in my immediate circle of family and friends that have been screwed by Chrysler vehicles, and I would never ever recommend buying one. They DO NOT stand behind there products, nor help the people who have been financially damaged by them. Thanks for listening.

- , Nottingham, MD, US

Jul 192006

Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 5.9L V8

I DIDN'T KNOW THAT THIS WAS A COMMON PROBLEM, one day I just happened to notice two bad cracks in my dash one at the defrost vent and one on the dash, I had always kept them wiped down and tried to make sure they didn't dry out, and just recently I have had another spot crack, but I just don't have the money. I think that it is BULL$%*! that such a problem has not been taken care of by DODGE. It should be THEIR FIX not OURS. DODGE needs to own up to their POS dash and recall the problem.

- , West Blocton, AL, USA

Mar 022006

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

Started off as a small hairline crack but eventually ended up like the Grand Canyon. I park in my garage at home and cover with window shade during the day at work. I take pride in my vehicle and am really disappointed that this has occured. Replacement is the only option at this point and unfortunately, it will come at my expense. I too agree that Dodge should stand behind their product and absorb the expense of replacement of this inferior dashboard.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Dec 012008

Ram 1500 4.7L

I was looking on the internet on prices for a new dash when i found that my truck was not the only truck that was doing this. I called the dealer and they said it would be about $700 to puy a new one in. I do not understand if they are having so much problems ith this how come they do not recall this problem. It started out small on day and about a week later i had the grand canyon in my truck.

- , Jackson, TN, USA

Jan 292007

Ram 1500 V8 5.9L

I noticed a small crack almost 2 year ago but from the drivers seat, it looked like a hairline crack. Everyone who sat in the passenger seat would always tell me "you have a crack in your dashboard" It wasn't till i was cleaning the dash that I noticed how big it really was.Now the dash is all crack

- , Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Jul 252008

Ram 1500

IT HAPPENED SUDDENLY. i HAD A LOT OF PRIDE IN MY TRUCK NUT NOW I AM EMBARRASSED TO LET ANYONE SEE THE INSIDE OF MY TRUCK. THE CRACKS SEEMED TO HAPPENED ALL WITHIN A FEW WEEKS. WHERE DO I GO FOR A NEW DASH?

- , Van Nuys, CA, USA

Oct 012008

Ram 1500 SL 4.7L V8

Noticed first crack on the dashboard in Oct 2008, then 1 week later another even bigger crack, definitely should be a recall, becoming a safety issue, more cracks probably imminent!!!

I take care of my truck, clean, wax often, inside and out, truck is 6 years old with only 50,000 miles, this should not happen !!!!

- , Fort Mill, SC, USA

Apr 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I noticed a small crack almost a half a year ago but from the drivers seat, it looked like a hairline crack. Everyone who sat in the passenger seat would always tell me "you have a crack in your dashboard" It wasn't till i was cleaning the dash that I noticed how big it really was. I just figured the truck is 6 plus years old and this sh*t happens to trucks. This is my third Dodge and I like the trucks a lot but will reconsider any future purchases from Dodge. So I guess i am stuck with a cracked dashboard for the life of the truck because I am not spending $1,500 bucks to fix it. Maybe I'll put a little doyllie on it to cover the crack since It obviously cant stand up to much more than normal wear.

- , Flemington, NJ, US

May 252007

Ram 1500 V8 4.7L

I cannot believe how many others have this dash cracking problem, I thought it was just cause I'm in Arizona and our heat caused it. I found a website named Raybuck.com that lists the dash replacement parts for like 99 dollars for the small piece closest to the windshield, thats the one I will need. This is way cheaper than a dealership will charge for the part alone, you will have to install yourself but I am willing to take that on , especially after reading how many of you got nowhere with dodge replacing it. Again its " Raybuck.com " then search for your model...etc.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 212008

Ram 1500 St.Ram1500 Quad Cab 4.7L

This really pissed me off when it was cracking on the far left of the dashboard.then it went all over,now its near the windshield,the defrosters are wide open a lot of stuff will fall in side,now its starting to crack on the front on the dashboard.I think dodge should fix the problem for everybody that had the same issue,with there dashboard.

- , Whittier, CA, USA

Aug 172006

Ram 1500 SLT 1500 4.7L

My truck is great, Ive spent a lot of time and Money on my truck but in 2006 six after two years of having it, my dash started to crack in different places from the front to back, it looks so nasty I got a cover and it still shows. Dodge needs to fix the problem.

- , Walnut, CA, USA

Jun 152008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8 Magnum

i love my truck like alot of other people i have seen on here i am really pissed about this i pay my hard earn money to pay for a vehicle to advertise to people my dodge and they won't even fix a problem like the dash. I have always been a Chevy fan and now i like dodge but if the don't fix my dash i won't buy another dodge ever. hey dodge people Obama gives you money so you can sell more vehicles and keep your head above water won't you get your head out of your @#$ and fix all the @#$ dashs that people are complaining about.

- , Raven, VA, USA