CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (269 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (90 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 19 of 25)

Jul 192006

Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 5.9L V8

I DIDN'T KNOW THAT THIS WAS A COMMON PROBLEM, one day I just happened to notice two bad cracks in my dash one at the defrost vent and one on the dash, I had always kept them wiped down and tried to make sure they didn't dry out, and just recently I have had another spot crack, but I just don't have the money. I think that it is BULL$%*! that such a problem has not been taken care of by DODGE. It should be THEIR FIX not OURS. DODGE needs to own up to their POS dash and recall the problem.

- , West Blocton, AL, USA

Mar 022006

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

Started off as a small hairline crack but eventually ended up like the Grand Canyon. I park in my garage at home and cover with window shade during the day at work. I take pride in my vehicle and am really disappointed that this has occured. Replacement is the only option at this point and unfortunately, it will come at my expense. I too agree that Dodge should stand behind their product and absorb the expense of replacement of this inferior dashboard.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Dec 012008

Ram 1500 4.7L

I was looking on the internet on prices for a new dash when i found that my truck was not the only truck that was doing this. I called the dealer and they said it would be about $700 to puy a new one in. I do not understand if they are having so much problems ith this how come they do not recall this problem. It started out small on day and about a week later i had the grand canyon in my truck.

- , Jackson, TN, USA

Jan 292007

Ram 1500 V8 5.9L

I noticed a small crack almost 2 year ago but from the drivers seat, it looked like a hairline crack. Everyone who sat in the passenger seat would always tell me "you have a crack in your dashboard" It wasn't till i was cleaning the dash that I noticed how big it really was.Now the dash is all crack

- , Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Jul 252008

Ram 1500

IT HAPPENED SUDDENLY. i HAD A LOT OF PRIDE IN MY TRUCK NUT NOW I AM EMBARRASSED TO LET ANYONE SEE THE INSIDE OF MY TRUCK. THE CRACKS SEEMED TO HAPPENED ALL WITHIN A FEW WEEKS. WHERE DO I GO FOR A NEW DASH?

- , Van Nuys, CA, USA

Oct 012008

Ram 1500 SL 4.7L V8

Noticed first crack on the dashboard in Oct 2008, then 1 week later another even bigger crack, definitely should be a recall, becoming a safety issue, more cracks probably imminent!!!

I take care of my truck, clean, wax often, inside and out, truck is 6 years old with only 50,000 miles, this should not happen !!!!

- , Fort Mill, SC, USA

Apr 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I noticed a small crack almost a half a year ago but from the drivers seat, it looked like a hairline crack. Everyone who sat in the passenger seat would always tell me "you have a crack in your dashboard" It wasn't till i was cleaning the dash that I noticed how big it really was. I just figured the truck is 6 plus years old and this sh*t happens to trucks. This is my third Dodge and I like the trucks a lot but will reconsider any future purchases from Dodge. So I guess i am stuck with a cracked dashboard for the life of the truck because I am not spending $1,500 bucks to fix it. Maybe I'll put a little doyllie on it to cover the crack since It obviously cant stand up to much more than normal wear.

- , Flemington, NJ, USA

May 252007

Ram 1500 V8 4.7L

I cannot believe how many others have this dash cracking problem, I thought it was just cause I'm in Arizona and our heat caused it. I found a website named Raybuck.com that lists the dash replacement parts for like 99 dollars for the small piece closest to the windshield, thats the one I will need. This is way cheaper than a dealership will charge for the part alone, you will have to install yourself but I am willing to take that on , especially after reading how many of you got nowhere with dodge replacing it. Again its " Raybuck.com " then search for your model...etc.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 212008

Ram 1500 St.Ram1500 Quad Cab 4.7L

This really pissed me off when it was cracking on the far left of the dashboard.then it went all over,now its near the windshield,the defrosters are wide open a lot of stuff will fall in side,now its starting to crack on the front on the dashboard.I think dodge should fix the problem for everybody that had the same issue,with there dashboard.

- , Whittier, CA, USA

Aug 172006

Ram 1500 SLT 1500 4.7L

My truck is great, Ive spent a lot of time and Money on my truck but in 2006 six after two years of having it, my dash started to crack in different places from the front to back, it looks so nasty I got a cover and it still shows. Dodge needs to fix the problem.

- , Walnut, CA, USA

Jun 152008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8 Magnum

i love my truck like alot of other people i have seen on here i am really pissed about this i pay my hard earn money to pay for a vehicle to advertise to people my dodge and they won't even fix a problem like the dash. I have always been a Chevy fan and now i like dodge but if the don't fix my dash i won't buy another dodge ever. hey dodge people Obama gives you money so you can sell more vehicles and keep your head above water won't you get your head out of your @#$ and fix all the @#$ dashs that people are complaining about.

- , Raven, VA, USA

May 202008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

first crack appeared about a year and a half ago. i heard a loud crack while driving down the interstate and after i stopped i noticed a crack in the dash on the right hand side. since then i have had four more cracks develop and the top dash pad is lifting up. i take good care of my vehicles and even use window shades when not in use. this should not be happening. i have a 1999 Chevy Tahoe with 240,000 on it and it doesn't have one crack in the dash. dodge should step up to the plate and fix this issue. dodge is doing a lot of advertising about how good their vehicles are but unresolved issues like this do not back up their claim. unless dodge makes this right, my next vehicle will not be a dodge.

- , Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Jan 012006

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

WOW! I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS CRAPP! MY DASH IS SHOT. TWO HUGE CRACKS; ONE IN THE MIDDLE FROM THE WINDSHIELD TO THE VENT AND THEN SOME, THE OTHER ON THE PASSENGER SIDE STARTING FROM THE TRAY AND PROCEEDING ALMOST TO THE GLOVE BOX. I'M LOOKING FOR IT TO JUST COMPLETELY FALL APART ANY DAY NOW. I HAVEN'T CONTACTED DODGE YET, BUT I FEEL CERTAIN JUDGING FROM THE REST OF THE COMPLAINTS, THEY'LL DO NOTHING. I ALSO OWN A '97 FORD AND IT HAS NONE OF THESE ISSUES. IF DODGE DOESN'T COME AROUND, MY NEXT FULL SIZE TRUCK WON'T BE A DODGE!

- , North Augusta, SC, USA

Jul 152008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Well, as I can see from all these complaints I'm not alone on this one!...I too take excellent care of my truck and this is the kind of thing that just pisses me off to no end. You spend a stack of cash on a vehicle and treat it right and this is how you get repaid by Dodge...cracked dash, defective rack and pinion steering, bad HVAC controls, bad parking brake, bad wiring harness, bad transmission/diff., bad paint, and on, and on, and on....never again...Hello Toyota Tundra...ADIOS DODGE!!!...

- , Anderson, SC, USA

Dec 252008

Ram 1500 LX 5.9L

I got in my truck this morning and noticed a crack in the dash on the right side in front of the passenger seat. It goes front the front of the dash straight back to the middle. I couldn't believe it, then once I started looking closer there was 2 more cracks in the middle up by the windshield. My truck only has just over 31,000 miles and still looks new. I'm the only owner so I know it has always been taken care of. How could the dash just crack like this for no reason? Dodge needs to do something about this! This is now the only defect on my truck and it's driving me crazy. I had no idea this was a common issue until I seen this site when I was looking online to find a replacement and to see how much this was going to cost me. Has anyone found a good fix for this? Also, has anyone had there's replaced, if so, how much can I expect to pay?

- , Glen Allen, VA, USA

Dec 022008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Me and my office were going to lunch the other day and I noticed a big crack on the top of the dash in front of the front passenger seat. My truck is my baby and I hate seeing defects in it, especially one that apparently keeps appearing.

- , Nacogdoches, TX, USA

Sep 112008

Ram 1500 V8

I was on the internet tonight looking for used dashboards to replace mine myself, but then i found this site listing familiar sounding complaints, now im discouraged...My story is the same as everyone else s, i had no idea, it all started with a small crack in the center area closest to where the windshield meets the dash and a week later my dash has several bigger cracks from one end to the other...I'm not interested in ever owning another Chrysler product if i'm stuck with the costs...I can barely afford anything these days and i don't have even $500.00 lying around to put towards a new dash that will probably end up the in the same condition...i'm also interested in a class-action if anyone is monitoring these posts...please get in contact with me...spread the word, dodge needs to address this problem...

- , China Spring, TX, USA

Jan 022008

Ram 1500 1500 4.7L

Dodge should of recall the bad patch of plastic on the Dash Board, I've nothing but cracks and it started with a small crack and now the hole dash board is crack... Dodge should replace them for free

- , Chandler, AZ, Afghanistan

Nov 172005

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

Huge cracks in my dash board. Also my brakes locked up on me and the transmission is slipping at 100,500 Miles

- , Mooresville, NC, USA

Nov 152008

Ram 1500 SLT V8

Bought the truck out of the lot on Nov. of 2001 thinking wow I got myself a new 'great' truck. Then years later I notice cracks, I never noticed the cracks until one day I saw my dashboard had about 8 cracks!! what the hell!! I think dodge should really do something.

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA