CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (269 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (90 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 23 of 25)

Mar 012007

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

They should have recalled a long time ago. I have read the complaints from other people, I thought I was alone with this problem. I paid lots of money to have a top of the line vehicle and this happened - no wonder the Asian market is taking over with better products.

- , Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Mar 172008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.8L

Totally sucks.

Hoped into the truck and saw two large cracks across the dashboard. Both are on the right passenger side. One is on the back portion of the dashboard nearest the windshield and the second is on the front portion of the windshield.

We have taken very good care of our truck and there is no reason for this to be happening. And, due to the other number of complaints that I have seen - it is obviously a design flaw and should be covered by Dodge.

- , Mililani, HI, USA

Mar 142008

Ram 1500 4x4 V8

I just brought my truck in to have the fuel injection repaired, I am on extended warranty now, but they said it wasn't covered. But that is not the real problem, they cracked my dashboard when they repaired it Friday and didn't even tell me anything. I called and told them I am bringing it in for them to look at and replace it tomorrow. I was told that they would have to evaluate the circumstances. But this happened last year when they replaced the blower motor and sensor and put a small crack on the most forward dashboard and they did not do

anything to repair it, saying that it was sun damage. That is not true, I baby and take excellent care of my vehicles. I am so disappointed with Dodge and now I will not buy future vehicles from them........ I will go back to Ford products

- , 2700 West 16th St, FL, USA

Sep 152007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I cannot believe the poor quality of the dashboard material. Approximately six months ago I noticed a small crack start in my right front dashboard. I now have 6 significant cracks all the way from the windshield to the interior side of the dashboard. My dash is practically falling apart. In reading all the complaints of the same problem, I find it hard to believe that Dodge does not consider this a "design flaw" and that they do not act on this problem to maintain a customer base.

So much for Dodge loyalty. My next truck will be a Toyota.

- , Suffolk, VA, USA

May 082007

Ram 1500 SLT Sport V8

I contacted my local Dodge dealer to check for recalls. I was told there were no recalls and Dodge didn't believe this to be a significant problem. I could have it fixed for $250 plus labor. I don't think we should have to pay for something that is obviously a major problem. Dodge should stand behind their products. Our vehicles are well taken care of. Routine maintenance is performed at each recommended interval. I own 2 Dodge vehicles but this will be the last. We actually went Ford shopping last night!

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 152007

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

Dash is cracked in three places . Would never take to dodge dealer in hanford, Ca they screw up more than they have repaired.

Took my truck in to have the mirrors retrofitted due to recall because the mirrors could fall off while driving . Approximately one month after repairs was made the mirrors fell off anyhow . Took my truck back a second time to repair again . after repairs was complete the panel that controls the windows and door locks was broken due to repairs to mirrors. Waited about a month to get replacement control panels from dodge.about this time the seat lever that lets the seat back broke. I complained about that a month later i was told the part was in after the truck was in the shop all day i was told the part was order about two weak went by i was called and told my part was in.I made another appt. Again the part was wrong. On the fifth attempt to fix the seat they installed a motor that controls the seat that moves back and forth .There was nothing wrong with that part.Due to dodge taking the seat out every time I was there they tore a hole in the carpet. At this point i was wanting to drop kick something If you know what i mean . So i Asked the service manager to please not damage anything else . the carpet was replaced but in doing so when I left the dealership the airbag light was on. "Cause" you guest it there stupidity

- , Hanford, CA, USA

Feb 212008

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

Same as everyone else . GOT CRACKS rear diff. at 30,000 went out side mirrors fell off after retrofit was made. small vac.line under truck dry rotted Seat lever failed. paint oxidized at three years old biggest complaint stupidity of hanford dealership they have broken more than they have fixed

- , Hanford, CA, USA

May 162007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

At first it started with a single crack in the middle of the dashboard. Now, it is disintegrating - cracks everywhere and chunks completely separated from the dash falling onto my foot while driving. I bought the truck when it was 1 year old. It now has 63,000 miles on it and looks worse than any 6 year old vehicle that I have ever driven. The brand should own up to this manufacturing defect. Toyota here I come..or Ford F-150

- , Killeen, TX, USA

Feb 012008

Ram 1500 Quad V8

I have a Ram 1500 Quad cab and at the beginning of Feb. I noticed a 4-5 inch crack on the passengers side from the windshield in. After reading all these complaints I believe Dodge should do something. I have friends who own 98-2001 Dodge Rams that have huge cracks in their dashboards. What is Dodge doing to remedy this?

- , Arlington, TX, USA

Feb 162008

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.7L V8

I recently purchased a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab and the dealer took off some of the purchase price due to cracks in the dash. I wish I would have seen this sight first. So, I did file a complaint (#10218404) with the NHTSA on the issue. I suggest all of you do the same as an Airbag issue and they will see the pattern and possible order a recall.

- , Little Elm, Tx, USA

May 092007

Ram 1500 LX

The dash cracking on the Dodge trucks appears to be a major problem. I believe a recall would be the only thing that would satisfy your customers.

- , Rockmart, GA, USA

Sep 012007

Ram 1500 1500 4.7L

I am not surprised I am the only one. I have seen other 2002 ram owners at the gas stations and they have the same problem. The &^%)ing dashboard keeps cracking. I also two cracks in the main dashboard above the instrument cluster and the passenger side. The front piece is about $150 and the main piece is about $450. I have not had any real mechanical problem with the truck except normal wear and tear. But this tears it. Like others I have never used any products on it but a damp cloth to remove dust and dirt but the cracks keep coming. Every vent and speaker grill on the front dash has one or more cracks coming from them.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Feb 062007

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

Dashboard is not a piece of crap as other people have stated. It is several pieces of crap, that is after the dash cracked into several dagger like pieces. I have done nothing to cause this (armorall, banging on the dash, etc.) EFF Dodge. I will never buy another dodge again.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Nov 222007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

I JUST WANTED TO ADD TO THE COMPLAINTS I SEE ABOUT THE DODGE RAM 1500 DASH BOARD CRACKING. ALONG THE TOP OF THE DASHBOARD, ON THE PIECE CLOSEST TO THE WINDSHIELD THERE ARE ABOUT 4 CRACKS. ALSO WHERE THE LITTLE SPEAKERS ARE IN THE DASH, THOSE ARE ALSO BREAKING. I PAID A PRETTY GOOD AMOUNT OF MONEY FOR THIS TRUCK ONLY TO SEE THE DAMN DASH CRACK. I HATE LOOKING AT THAT, IT MAKES THE TRUCK LOOK UGLY.

Update from May 26, 2009: I have to tell you how pissed I am that my dashboard in my truck is cracking. It first started in the panel by the windshield and I looked into replacing that panel and it cost $150 at my local Dodge dealer. Then I got even more pissed at that! But it didn't stop there did it...on hell no! Now the whole dash is cracking in random spots and it looks awful. There has been so many complaints on these damn trucks and I think Dodge needs to fix the problem. They made the truck cheap obviously and now they need to fix them so we don't have to deal with the problem when it's not our fault.

Let's make Dodge fix the issue.

ON THESE DAMN TRUCKS AND I THINK DODGE NEEDS TO FIX THE PROBLEM. THEY MADE THE TRUCKS CHEAP OBVIOUSLY AND NOW THEY NEED TO FIX THEM SO WE DONT HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE PROBLEM WHEN ITS NOT OUR FAULT. LETS MAKE DODGE FIX THE ISSUE, THEY CAN AFFORD IT BY RIPPING US OFF. THEY MAKE THEIR VEHICLES CHEAP AS HELL AND CHARGE OUT THE ASS FOR THEM. I PAID OVER 20,000.00 FOR MY TRUCK FOR IT TO LOOK LIKE CRAP NOW. IM JUST FURIOUS. HELP US OUT PEOPLE

- , Tell City, IN, USA

Nov 252006

Ram 1500 XLT 4.7L V8

Of all the problems I think I could have dealt with, a damn bunch of cracks in my dashboard certainly wasn't one of them. As a matter of fact, I'm being kind by calling them cracks, they're more like 'splits'. Now I've heard all the excuses for Dodge not being responsible for the dash board issues. And every single one doesn't pertain to me. I never used Armourall or anything thing that would conceivably weaken the plastic used. The most, I used a damp cloth, considering that it's plastic to begin with, I didn't see the need to waste money on special interior cleaners. And being that this level of trim has the airbag on the passenger side, I'm scared to even think about what might happen if it were to go off by accident and pieces of the dashboard fly into my passenger's face.

But that's not all. It seems to me that every other plastic component in my truck is not snapping apart. air vents, reflectors, you name it. If it's plastic, it's coming apart now. If there's anything that needs to be done, Dodge should put out a recall to fix this problem. For many of us owners, this is our only means of transportation. Having told the dealership about this issue, I was told it would cost around $1000 to fix it. Hell, with that kind of money, I can take it to a fabrication shop and have them to make me one out of carbon fiber for the same amount and never see this problem again.

- , Wichita, KS, USA

May 122006

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Well i bought the truck used in 2006 of april. It's a regular cab slt sharp looking truck but about a month after buying it a huge crack running down the right center appeared. A week later rolls by another crack and both cracks go across the dash. I have read on one site that a test was done on someone's dash also i believe 2003 model ram 1500. For christs sake Chrysler still cannot make good interior. I also refuse to buy a ford or gm now. I liked the room in it for a reg cab . Also my fiance she has an 02 with the same damn problem we both had to buy dash covers. Just the other day i took it in for a recall and mentioned it to the tech. He replied really let me look then shrugged it off. I hate Chrysler s attitude and they have turned out to be a crappy co. I see no Mercedes Benz quality. My second one and never another.They ride like crap and only thing going for them is 2002-2005 body style now they are fugly. Oh hell they are junk!Screw you Chrysler i say class action lawsuit to these jackasses.

- , Gulfport, MS, USA

Jan 112008

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

Back to my dashboard cracks. Some people might think the dashes are caused by the sun or heat build up in the vehicle during summer months. I DISAGREE with these assumptions. REASON 1: The cracks in the dash appear to early, normally within two years of purchase (IF NEW). REASON 2: My truck is kept in the garage at home and I park it indoors at work most of the time. The pricing to replace the dashboard is over 1000 dollars. It seems to be more of a manufacture problem. Maybe the plastic that is used to make the dash doesn't form correctly causing it to stress and crack under normal working pressure.

- , Mobile, AL, USA

May 092007

Ram 1500 XLT 4.7L

DODGE RAM 1500 DASH IS A PIECE OF CRAP,CHEAP PLASTIC,BUT VERY GOOD TRUCK.I FOUND THIS WEB SITE www.coverlaymfg.com FOR ALL DASH FOR ALL MAKES AND MODELS.IT CHEAPER THAN THE DEALERS. IT COST ME ABOUT $240

- , Summerville, GA, USA

Dec 012004

Ram 1500 `4.7L

Called dodge they said vehicle out of warranty cant help you

- , Cocoa, FL, USA

Jun 152005

Ram 1500 3.9L V6

The dashboard started to crack 2 weeks after the 36 month warranty expired (only 24,000 miles and I am the original owner). The dealer said it wouldn't be covered and parts would cost about $350. Since then, the dash has continued to crack, and now, it's really a mess. I've only had one other issue with the truck since I bought it and that was a defective taillight component. The truck has been great except for the one minor defect and the continuing problem with the dash. This was my first Dodge and it will be my last. Either the engineering of the dash or the dash material itself (or both) were defective and should have been acknowledged and corrected by the manufacturer.

- , Bartow, FL, USA