CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (273 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (94 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (15 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 23 of 25)

Nov 302007

Ram 1500 Ram 1500 4.7L V8

With the number of complaints about this issue Dodge should man up and fix the problem. It is obviously a defect in workmanship.

- , Fort Smith, AR, USA

Jan 022005

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I was gently cleaning my dash one day when I suddenly heard a cracking noise come from the center of the dashboard near a vent. I could see it was cracked but figured it was my fault somehow. A while later a second crack appeared in the same area of the dashboard, the second one coming from the other side of the same vent as the first one. They are visible and make my nice truck look like a cheap piece of crap. The material used for the dash is obviously sub-standard and brittle, as I have a 1988 Honda Accord with NO cracks in the dash.

- , Paradise, CA, USA

May 122008

Ram 1500 1500 4.7L

I called 1-800-992-1997, Chrysler customer service. They will replace the front and rear dash for a $200 co-pay. It is there f-up and we have to pay for it. Anyway, the parts have to be manufactured and I have been waiting two months with no end in sight. I have no idea the damn problem with Dodge with getting parts. If my truck was in an accident I would be rental car for God knows how long.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Dec 282006

Ram 1500 SLE 4.7L

Nice truck, piece of crap dash. Dodge needs to own up to this & replace.NOW

- , Live Oak, TX, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

I bought this BAD ASS Dodge truck over a Ford f-150 ... 1 month after i made my first payment i found one little crack in the dash about 3 inches long and now 1 year later i have 9 cracks in the dash, the largest one is about 10 inches long with a 1/2 inch gap. I bought an extended warranty for 3 years and 30,000 miles bumper to bumper and it's not covered !! WHAT A F#@$$%# RIP OFF !!!! DODGE !!!! RECALL THIS B.S.

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 062004

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

This truck was way too new with way too low mileage to of had this major of a cracked dash problem. If it had been a Ford, they would have at least acknowledged the problem and tried some sort of compensation. All I get from Dodge is "They'll contact you if they see it's necessary." Yeah, right. I'm not waiting for that call to go on vacation.

- , Mccomb, MS, USA

Oct 302007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I also have 4 large cracks in my dash, also have one in the instrument panel. It would be nice if they re-called this.

- , N. Wilkesboro, NC, USA

Apr 212008

Ram 1500 4.7L

I didn't realize that cracking dashboards was such a problem with Dodge, until I got in my truck this morning and saw the huge crack! I was sure there must be a recall...unfortunately no. After finding this site and several others with rants about the problem, I realize that it is an issue that needs to be addressed.

- , Bay City, TX, USA

Apr 022007

Ram 1500 V8

I contacted Dodge/Chrysler about my problem and they promised to help me get it fixed. The agreement is that they will pay 700. and I will pay 200. to the Frank Parra Dealership where I purchased the truck. My husband and I have been waiting on the dashboard parts(both front and back) to come in from the manufacturer for almost two months now. I have been told that no dealership in the US has the part it will have to be made. However, when I last checked with the dealership,(the service mgr.informed me that the part has not been manufactured since the truck was first made, and whenever they make the part, one will be sent; however, it is not high on Dodge's priority list.

My husband and I have purchased over thirty vehicles in our lifetimes, and we have never seen such mess as this. Further, I think we all should copy the comments about this problem to the Attorney General in our specific state, because I was told by Dodge/Chrysler headquarters that they were not aware of such problem that anyone else has had. That seems to be incorrect on someone's part. Perhaps the dealerships are not reporting the issues.

In order to report this, and let's do, by all means. Please contact the Attorney General's office of your specific state. If you know of anyone else having such problems, please have them add their issue to this site as well. Something definitely needs to be done in order for Dodge to get these parts to the dealerships so we may get our vehicles fixed, and I definitely want mine fixed, and I want them to pay for it since I am not the only one having this problem as I was initially told.

- , Irving, TX, USA

Feb 012007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Have been a Mopar fanatic since I was 16 and the dash in my 2002 Ram was replaced at 68000 miles and now at 108000 i have 3 new cracks in the vented front portion which was not replaced originally. Dodge has chosen some very cheap plastic for there dashes and will not stand behind them. I have a 68 roadrunner and Chrysler is definitely not building there vehicles like they use to......

- , Humble, TX, USA

Mar 012007

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

They should have recalled a long time ago. I have read the complaints from other people, I thought I was alone with this problem. I paid lots of money to have a top of the line vehicle and this happened - no wonder the Asian market is taking over with better products.

- , Grand Prairie, TX, US

Mar 172008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.8L

Totally sucks.

Hoped into the truck and saw two large cracks across the dashboard. Both are on the right passenger side. One is on the back portion of the dashboard nearest the windshield and the second is on the front portion of the windshield.

We have taken very good care of our truck and there is no reason for this to be happening. And, due to the other number of complaints that I have seen - it is obviously a design flaw and should be covered by Dodge.

- , Mililani, HI, USA

Mar 142008

Ram 1500 4x4 V8

I just brought my truck in to have the fuel injection repaired, I am on extended warranty now, but they said it wasn't covered. But that is not the real problem, they cracked my dashboard when they repaired it Friday and didn't even tell me anything. I called and told them I am bringing it in for them to look at and replace it tomorrow. I was told that they would have to evaluate the circumstances. But this happened last year when they replaced the blower motor and sensor and put a small crack on the most forward dashboard and they did not do

anything to repair it, saying that it was sun damage. That is not true, I baby and take excellent care of my vehicles. I am so disappointed with Dodge and now I will not buy future vehicles from them........ I will go back to Ford products

- , 2700 West 16th St, FL, USA

Sep 152007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I cannot believe the poor quality of the dashboard material. Approximately six months ago I noticed a small crack start in my right front dashboard. I now have 6 significant cracks all the way from the windshield to the interior side of the dashboard. My dash is practically falling apart. In reading all the complaints of the same problem, I find it hard to believe that Dodge does not consider this a "design flaw" and that they do not act on this problem to maintain a customer base.

So much for Dodge loyalty. My next truck will be a Toyota.

- , Suffolk, VA, USA

May 082007

Ram 1500 SLT Sport V8

I contacted my local Dodge dealer to check for recalls. I was told there were no recalls and Dodge didn't believe this to be a significant problem. I could have it fixed for $250 plus labor. I don't think we should have to pay for something that is obviously a major problem. Dodge should stand behind their products. Our vehicles are well taken care of. Routine maintenance is performed at each recommended interval. I own 2 Dodge vehicles but this will be the last. We actually went Ford shopping last night!

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 152007

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

Dash is cracked in three places . Would never take to dodge dealer in hanford, Ca they screw up more than they have repaired.

Took my truck in to have the mirrors retrofitted due to recall because the mirrors could fall off while driving . Approximately one month after repairs was made the mirrors fell off anyhow . Took my truck back a second time to repair again . after repairs was complete the panel that controls the windows and door locks was broken due to repairs to mirrors. Waited about a month to get replacement control panels from dodge.about this time the seat lever that lets the seat back broke. I complained about that a month later i was told the part was in after the truck was in the shop all day i was told the part was order about two weak went by i was called and told my part was in.I made another appt. Again the part was wrong. On the fifth attempt to fix the seat they installed a motor that controls the seat that moves back and forth .There was nothing wrong with that part.Due to dodge taking the seat out every time I was there they tore a hole in the carpet. At this point i was wanting to drop kick something If you know what i mean . So i Asked the service manager to please not damage anything else . the carpet was replaced but in doing so when I left the dealership the airbag light was on. "Cause" you guest it there stupidity

- , Hanford, CA, USA

Feb 212008

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

Same as everyone else . GOT CRACKS rear diff. at 30,000 went out side mirrors fell off after retrofit was made. small vac.line under truck dry rotted Seat lever failed. paint oxidized at three years old biggest complaint stupidity of hanford dealership they have broken more than they have fixed

- , Hanford, CA, USA

May 162007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

At first it started with a single crack in the middle of the dashboard. Now, it is disintegrating - cracks everywhere and chunks completely separated from the dash falling onto my foot while driving. I bought the truck when it was 1 year old. It now has 63,000 miles on it and looks worse than any 6 year old vehicle that I have ever driven. The brand should own up to this manufacturing defect. Toyota here I come..or Ford F-150

- , Killeen, TX, USA

Feb 012008

Ram 1500 Quad V8

I have a Ram 1500 Quad cab and at the beginning of Feb. I noticed a 4-5 inch crack on the passengers side from the windshield in. After reading all these complaints I believe Dodge should do something. I have friends who own 98-2001 Dodge Rams that have huge cracks in their dashboards. What is Dodge doing to remedy this?

- , Arlington, TX, USA

Feb 162008

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.7L V8

I recently purchased a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab and the dealer took off some of the purchase price due to cracks in the dash. I wish I would have seen this sight first. So, I did file a complaint (#10218404) with the NHTSA on the issue. I suggest all of you do the same as an Airbag issue and they will see the pattern and possible order a recall.

- , Little Elm, Tx, USA