CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (269 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (90 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 24 of 25)

Jul 132005

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

At first, noticed hair line crack around one of the defrost vents, then another, then another until they made their way up to dash covering instrument panel. Then cracking across glove box. You can push (lightly) on the crack and look inside!! This has to be bad for the passenger side air bag if deployment is needed. The service department (same place I purchased truck) said they would work with me on price but there was no "RECALL" on this. Truck has 93700 miles on it now and other than burns alot of fuel and the dash looks like crap, I like my truck. Many friends have gave compliments on looks but when they see the inside and notice the dash they just tell me.. "That's what you get for buying a Dodge". This is my first Dodge purchase and would like to keep truck for long haul, but if I have to shuck $1400.00 to replace a dash, might as well put that $ down on a new truck.....other than Dodge.

- , Lafayette, LA, USA

Jan 012004

Ram 1500 4.8L

You cannot imagine the size and number of cracks that are in my dashboard - unless you're a fellow Dodge Ram owner. They must have purchased the cheapest, non-UV-safe plastic they could find. I'm afraid for the components that are inside the dash (i.e., air bags, hvac, countless wires, etc.), as my dash is literally turning to gravel. The dealer quoted me around $1,700 to have the dash replaced, but why, I'm afraid a replacement would crack after the 12-month warranty, and then I'd be in the same boat. I'm really disappointed in my purchase, and therefore, I'll never buy another Chrysler product. Additionally, I think I've been successful in convincing family, friends and colleagues to stay away. Shame on you Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge - you suck donkey dong.

- , Nrh, TX, USA

Aug 032007

Ram 1500

next few months the entire dashboard has cracked from the window to the steering column. There is a 2" difference from one point to the other. This truck is garaged and care is taken to keep it in good condition. The air vent has fallen down because of the cracked dash. I have never seen a dashboard crack like this for such a new car. The dealership gives me the run around and says it is not their problem. Dodge needs to fix this problem or something should be done so they don't make defect trucks. This is why every one tells me to buy a foreign car. Let me know if any one is able to get Dodge to honor what they sell.my dash started with a small spider crack and over the monts

- , Grass Valley, CA, USA

Oct 182007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

I have a Two Toned 2002 Dodge Ram, Flame Red and Silver, I get a lot of compliments about this truck. It is a head turner, and then when you see the cracks in the dash you really turn your head. It has two cracks from the windshield to the glove box. Went into work and no cracks came out from work and there was the first one, next day the second one came in. I have heard this complaint from many people. I work at a heavy equipment manufacturer and talk to customers everyday, you would not believe how many have had this problem. Like many have said before, nice looking truck, UGLY DASH!

- , Coats, NC, USA

Dec 272006

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

CRACKS IN THE DASHBOARD. WHAT THE........I take pretty good care of my truck. So imagine my surprise when I jumped in the driver seat and there are three cracks running down the dashboard. It baffles me how the cracks just appeared and seem to be getting worse. They started close to the window and are working there way to the TAILGATE. I can't even fathom replacing the dashboard, but it's such an eye sore. What did DODGE do, buy the cheapest grade of plastic they could find when they manufactured the dashes. If a product fails, shouldn't the manufacturer be responsible for replacing it?

- , Mobile, AL, USA

Nov 262007

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

i just sold my ford two weeks ago and i was looking for something bigger... people told me that the best domestic truck was the dodge...(i like it ) so i decided to play for the other team and got the dodge. After a week, the dash started cracking, don't know how. but after reading all these comments, i totally agree: the truck is beautiful but the DASH SUCKS and so the dealers...

- , Flower Mound, TX, USA

Sep 192007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

One day while detailing my truck, I noticed a small crack in the dash near the defrost vent. It just kept getting bigger and bigger, then I noticed another. My dash is now broken completely through in two places all the way from the windshield to the instrument panel.

- , Nicholasville, KY, USA

Oct 302007

Ram 1500 SLY 4.7L

I was washing my truck before taking my brother in-law to the airport. When it came to detailing the inside I found a damn huge crack in the dash. It was right above the glove box and went all the way to the window and even cracked the plastic trim piece in front of the window. I looked at it more and found spider cracks near the vent next to the door. i went to the dealer. About crapped a brick, $540 dollars for the dash, oh yeah it was on back order. Then another $800 dollars or so for labor. WHAT THE HELL. I thought Dodge trucks were the best but dame. I think that we ALL need to email DODGE the corporate HQ every day to get this fixed.

Oh yeah when I was talking to the service guy it was not covered under my warranty then he asked if I used Armor-All. I was like yes, He said well that was the problem because it weakens the dash. Who the hell has ever heard of that. Every detail shop I know uses it on all the cars from high end to low end. If this is a problem with Dodge then I might as well have bought a Ford or Chevy!!

- , Quartz Hill, CA, USA

Nov 092007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I have a very clean truck, I have it detailed at least once a month. About two months ago I started noticing tis small crack, a day or two later the crack had gotten much bigger and there was another crack. Now I have two large cracks on my dashboard and they are on the passenger side running from the windshield toward the glove box, It will cost almost $1100.00 to replace this. I have read many complaints about Dodge's cracked dashboards. Other than the cracks in my dash my Dodge has been GREAT, however I am NOT happy with these CRACKS!!!

- , Fernandina Beach, FL, USA

Oct 292007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

My Dodge dash is completely shattered, it�s stressing me out seeing it every morning when stepping into the car, the car in its total is in supreme condition except the dash, I�m afraid that the dame thing will fall apart one of this day, I wanted to put one of those carpet bud it dust really fix the problem, I�m proud of my RAM, until I step inside.

- , Oranjestad, Socotoro, Aruba

Oct 262007

Ram 1500 LX 4.7L V8

My truck is a 10 out 10, washed every weekend, never pulled a trailer and only light hauling. I have 2 major cracks one in front of the steering wheel and one in front of the passenger seat, they are getting worse by the day! The one in front of the steering wheel will be a gaping hole shortly! Went to the dealer, quoted me $1485 just for the new dashboard and no labor included.....this is BS....this is the ONLY problem I have had with this truck!

- , Edmond, OK, USA

Oct 252007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

I just noticed these 2 cracks today. They are on the passenger side running from the windshield toward the glove box. This is quite obviously a defective part.

- , Sarasota, FL, USA

Oct 242007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I HAVE LIKE 4 CRACKS IN DASH BOARD AND EVEN GOT A DASH BOARD COVER . AND MY TRUCK ALWAYS SIT IN THE SHADE, I HAVE AN OLDER VEH, AND DON'T HAVE ANY CRACKS. THEY SHOULD MAKE A RECALL. WE SHOULD DO EVERYTHING IT TAKES FOR THIS MATTER.

- , Lynwood, CA, USA

Oct 142007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Cracks started showing up at numerous places along the Dash at about 60,000 miles. Now there are large pieces breaking off that you can stick your fist through. While I was having some warranty work done at the Dealer I asked If they were going to make this situation with the Dash right. I was immediately informed that it was not covered under my extended warranty and that it would cost me around $1,400.00 to fix! It seems to me that when you pay as much as we do for these overpriced Trucks they should at least take care of defective parts at no cost to us. This is the second Dodge truck that I have purchased new and the second problem that the Dealer wont own up to. I do believe this is my last Dodge.

- , Molino, FL, USA

Oct 062007

Ram 1500 LX 4.7L V8

Dash started cracking fom windshield to the radio. No help at the dealership, except to tell me there was a huge backorder for the parts since so many people have this problem. Wrote chrysler to see if they will help. Was told I have to get an assesment from dealership at my expense and tey would let me know from there. Will keep you notified on what they say.

- , Burgaw, NC, USA

Sep 182007

Ram 1500 5.9L

It started as a small crack in the dash which escalated to the width of the dash. I put a dash mat over it so I didn't have to look at it every day. I called my local dealer and of course they were of no help. I've since met many people with the same problem. This is my second Dodge Ram but it will be my last.

- , College Station, TX, USA

Sep 302007

Ram 1500 4.7L

This is a vehicle that has been kept covered or inside and yet the dash has cracked from the windshield to the radio all within one week. This involves two separate pieces of dash and the crack is almost a direct line across the two pieces. Dodge needs to address this problem. My truck has been kept like new... now it looks like an old work truck!

- , Crystal River, FL, USA

Sep 102007

Ram 1500 V8

My dash board started cracking about two years ago and is now turning into rubble. I was very proud of my truck, which is rarely driven (35,000 miles). I am now trying to find a replacement dash board. Dodge needs to stand by their product and replace it. The working class are who buys their trucks and it won't be long till the word gets around. I thought I was the only one with this problem, there are a whole lot of people out there getting yanked as well.

- , Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Aug 152007

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

I have a crack the size of the grand canyon to an ant in my dash and other ones are developing. I think I have a total of 3 now. It's pretty ugly. I have heard other dodge owners say this is a common trait in the Rams. Ridiculous!! I don't get it!! I guess you can buy one of those cloth liners that go over your dash but I have a two tone sport and I like the way it looks (less the cracks) Ugh!!!

- , Cedar Park, TX, USA

Jun 232007

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

Started to the right side, them came the middle, then came the driver's side. I invested my money in the truck, and want to keep it long time. I currently have 70,000 miles on it and it is an eyesore. I have seen and spoken to other Dodge Ram owners in the South Florida area. They all have the same problem. The dealer won't cover it, but it smells like a defect of major proportions. Anyone have advice, I need it!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Miramar, FL, USA