CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (272 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (94 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (15 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 24 of 25)

Sep 012007

Ram 1500 1500 4.7L

I am not surprised I am the only one. I have seen other 2002 ram owners at the gas stations and they have the same problem. The &^%)ing dashboard keeps cracking. I also two cracks in the main dashboard above the instrument cluster and the passenger side. The front piece is about $150 and the main piece is about $450. I have not had any real mechanical problem with the truck except normal wear and tear. But this tears it. Like others I have never used any products on it but a damp cloth to remove dust and dirt but the cracks keep coming. Every vent and speaker grill on the front dash has one or more cracks coming from them.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Feb 062007

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

Dashboard is not a piece of crap as other people have stated. It is several pieces of crap, that is after the dash cracked into several dagger like pieces. I have done nothing to cause this (armorall, banging on the dash, etc.) EFF Dodge. I will never buy another dodge again.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Nov 222007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

I JUST WANTED TO ADD TO THE COMPLAINTS I SEE ABOUT THE DODGE RAM 1500 DASH BOARD CRACKING. ALONG THE TOP OF THE DASHBOARD, ON THE PIECE CLOSEST TO THE WINDSHIELD THERE ARE ABOUT 4 CRACKS. ALSO WHERE THE LITTLE SPEAKERS ARE IN THE DASH, THOSE ARE ALSO BREAKING. I PAID A PRETTY GOOD AMOUNT OF MONEY FOR THIS TRUCK ONLY TO SEE THE DAMN DASH CRACK. I HATE LOOKING AT THAT, IT MAKES THE TRUCK LOOK UGLY.

Update from May 26, 2009: I have to tell you how pissed I am that my dashboard in my truck is cracking. It first started in the panel by the windshield and I looked into replacing that panel and it cost $150 at my local Dodge dealer. Then I got even more pissed at that! But it didn't stop there did it...on hell no! Now the whole dash is cracking in random spots and it looks awful. There has been so many complaints on these damn trucks and I think Dodge needs to fix the problem. They made the truck cheap obviously and now they need to fix them so we don't have to deal with the problem when it's not our fault.

Let's make Dodge fix the issue.

ON THESE DAMN TRUCKS AND I THINK DODGE NEEDS TO FIX THE PROBLEM. THEY MADE THE TRUCKS CHEAP OBVIOUSLY AND NOW THEY NEED TO FIX THEM SO WE DONT HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE PROBLEM WHEN ITS NOT OUR FAULT. LETS MAKE DODGE FIX THE ISSUE, THEY CAN AFFORD IT BY RIPPING US OFF. THEY MAKE THEIR VEHICLES CHEAP AS HELL AND CHARGE OUT THE ASS FOR THEM. I PAID OVER 20,000.00 FOR MY TRUCK FOR IT TO LOOK LIKE CRAP NOW. IM JUST FURIOUS. HELP US OUT PEOPLE

- , Tell City, IN, USA

Nov 252006

Ram 1500 XLT 4.7L V8

Of all the problems I think I could have dealt with, a damn bunch of cracks in my dashboard certainly wasn't one of them. As a matter of fact, I'm being kind by calling them cracks, they're more like 'splits'. Now I've heard all the excuses for Dodge not being responsible for the dash board issues. And every single one doesn't pertain to me. I never used Armourall or anything thing that would conceivably weaken the plastic used. The most, I used a damp cloth, considering that it's plastic to begin with, I didn't see the need to waste money on special interior cleaners. And being that this level of trim has the airbag on the passenger side, I'm scared to even think about what might happen if it were to go off by accident and pieces of the dashboard fly into my passenger's face.

But that's not all. It seems to me that every other plastic component in my truck is not snapping apart. air vents, reflectors, you name it. If it's plastic, it's coming apart now. If there's anything that needs to be done, Dodge should put out a recall to fix this problem. For many of us owners, this is our only means of transportation. Having told the dealership about this issue, I was told it would cost around $1000 to fix it. Hell, with that kind of money, I can take it to a fabrication shop and have them to make me one out of carbon fiber for the same amount and never see this problem again.

- , Wichita, KS, USA

May 122006

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Well i bought the truck used in 2006 of april. It's a regular cab slt sharp looking truck but about a month after buying it a huge crack running down the right center appeared. A week later rolls by another crack and both cracks go across the dash. I have read on one site that a test was done on someone's dash also i believe 2003 model ram 1500. For christs sake Chrysler still cannot make good interior. I also refuse to buy a ford or gm now. I liked the room in it for a reg cab . Also my fiance she has an 02 with the same damn problem we both had to buy dash covers. Just the other day i took it in for a recall and mentioned it to the tech. He replied really let me look then shrugged it off. I hate Chrysler s attitude and they have turned out to be a crappy co. I see no Mercedes Benz quality. My second one and never another.They ride like crap and only thing going for them is 2002-2005 body style now they are fugly. Oh hell they are junk!Screw you Chrysler i say class action lawsuit to these jackasses.

- , Gulfport, MS, US

Jan 112008

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

Back to my dashboard cracks. Some people might think the dashes are caused by the sun or heat build up in the vehicle during summer months. I DISAGREE with these assumptions. REASON 1: The cracks in the dash appear to early, normally within two years of purchase (IF NEW). REASON 2: My truck is kept in the garage at home and I park it indoors at work most of the time. The pricing to replace the dashboard is over 1000 dollars. It seems to be more of a manufacture problem. Maybe the plastic that is used to make the dash doesn't form correctly causing it to stress and crack under normal working pressure.

- , Mobile, AL, USA

May 092007

Ram 1500 XLT 4.7L

DODGE RAM 1500 DASH IS A PIECE OF CRAP,CHEAP PLASTIC,BUT VERY GOOD TRUCK.I FOUND THIS WEB SITE www.coverlaymfg.com FOR ALL DASH FOR ALL MAKES AND MODELS.IT CHEAPER THAN THE DEALERS. IT COST ME ABOUT $240

- , Summerville, GA, USA

Dec 012004

Ram 1500 `4.7L

Called dodge they said vehicle out of warranty cant help you

- , Cocoa, FL, USA

Jun 152005

Ram 1500 3.9L V6

The dashboard started to crack 2 weeks after the 36 month warranty expired (only 24,000 miles and I am the original owner). The dealer said it wouldn't be covered and parts would cost about $350. Since then, the dash has continued to crack, and now, it's really a mess. I've only had one other issue with the truck since I bought it and that was a defective taillight component. The truck has been great except for the one minor defect and the continuing problem with the dash. This was my first Dodge and it will be my last. Either the engineering of the dash or the dash material itself (or both) were defective and should have been acknowledged and corrected by the manufacturer.

- , Bartow, FL, USA

Jul 132005

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

At first, noticed hair line crack around one of the defrost vents, then another, then another until they made their way up to dash covering instrument panel. Then cracking across glove box. You can push (lightly) on the crack and look inside!! This has to be bad for the passenger side air bag if deployment is needed. The service department (same place I purchased truck) said they would work with me on price but there was no "RECALL" on this. Truck has 93700 miles on it now and other than burns alot of fuel and the dash looks like crap, I like my truck. Many friends have gave compliments on looks but when they see the inside and notice the dash they just tell me.. "That's what you get for buying a Dodge". This is my first Dodge purchase and would like to keep truck for long haul, but if I have to shuck $1400.00 to replace a dash, might as well put that $ down on a new truck.....other than Dodge.

- , Lafayette, LA, USA

Jan 012004

Ram 1500 4.8L

You cannot imagine the size and number of cracks that are in my dashboard - unless you're a fellow Dodge Ram owner. They must have purchased the cheapest, non-UV-safe plastic they could find. I'm afraid for the components that are inside the dash (i.e., air bags, hvac, countless wires, etc.), as my dash is literally turning to gravel. The dealer quoted me around $1,700 to have the dash replaced, but why, I'm afraid a replacement would crack after the 12-month warranty, and then I'd be in the same boat. I'm really disappointed in my purchase, and therefore, I'll never buy another Chrysler product. Additionally, I think I've been successful in convincing family, friends and colleagues to stay away. Shame on you Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge - you suck donkey dong.

- , Nrh, TX, USA

Aug 032007

Ram 1500

next few months the entire dashboard has cracked from the window to the steering column. There is a 2" difference from one point to the other. This truck is garaged and care is taken to keep it in good condition. The air vent has fallen down because of the cracked dash. I have never seen a dashboard crack like this for such a new car. The dealership gives me the run around and says it is not their problem. Dodge needs to fix this problem or something should be done so they don't make defect trucks. This is why every one tells me to buy a foreign car. Let me know if any one is able to get Dodge to honor what they sell.my dash started with a small spider crack and over the monts

- , Grass Valley, CA, USA

Oct 182007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

I have a Two Toned 2002 Dodge Ram, Flame Red and Silver, I get a lot of compliments about this truck. It is a head turner, and then when you see the cracks in the dash you really turn your head. It has two cracks from the windshield to the glove box. Went into work and no cracks came out from work and there was the first one, next day the second one came in. I have heard this complaint from many people. I work at a heavy equipment manufacturer and talk to customers everyday, you would not believe how many have had this problem. Like many have said before, nice looking truck, UGLY DASH!

- , Coats, NC, USA

Dec 272006

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

CRACKS IN THE DASHBOARD. WHAT THE........I take pretty good care of my truck. So imagine my surprise when I jumped in the driver seat and there are three cracks running down the dashboard. It baffles me how the cracks just appeared and seem to be getting worse. They started close to the window and are working there way to the TAILGATE. I can't even fathom replacing the dashboard, but it's such an eye sore. What did DODGE do, buy the cheapest grade of plastic they could find when they manufactured the dashes. If a product fails, shouldn't the manufacturer be responsible for replacing it?

- , Mobile, AL, USA

Nov 262007

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

i just sold my ford two weeks ago and i was looking for something bigger... people told me that the best domestic truck was the dodge...(i like it ) so i decided to play for the other team and got the dodge. After a week, the dash started cracking, don't know how. but after reading all these comments, i totally agree: the truck is beautiful but the DASH SUCKS and so the dealers...

- , Flower Mound, TX, USA

Sep 192007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

One day while detailing my truck, I noticed a small crack in the dash near the defrost vent. It just kept getting bigger and bigger, then I noticed another. My dash is now broken completely through in two places all the way from the windshield to the instrument panel.

- , Nicholasville, KY, USA

Oct 302007

Ram 1500 SLY 4.7L

I was washing my truck before taking my brother in-law to the airport. When it came to detailing the inside I found a damn huge crack in the dash. It was right above the glove box and went all the way to the window and even cracked the plastic trim piece in front of the window. I looked at it more and found spider cracks near the vent next to the door. i went to the dealer. About crapped a brick, $540 dollars for the dash, oh yeah it was on back order. Then another $800 dollars or so for labor. WHAT THE HELL. I thought Dodge trucks were the best but dame. I think that we ALL need to email DODGE the corporate HQ every day to get this fixed.

Oh yeah when I was talking to the service guy it was not covered under my warranty then he asked if I used Armor-All. I was like yes, He said well that was the problem because it weakens the dash. Who the hell has ever heard of that. Every detail shop I know uses it on all the cars from high end to low end. If this is a problem with Dodge then I might as well have bought a Ford or Chevy!!

- , Quartz Hill, CA, USA

Nov 092007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I have a very clean truck, I have it detailed at least once a month. About two months ago I started noticing tis small crack, a day or two later the crack had gotten much bigger and there was another crack. Now I have two large cracks on my dashboard and they are on the passenger side running from the windshield toward the glove box, It will cost almost $1100.00 to replace this. I have read many complaints about Dodge's cracked dashboards. Other than the cracks in my dash my Dodge has been GREAT, however I am NOT happy with these CRACKS!!!

- , Fernandina Beach, FL, USA

Oct 292007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

My Dodge dash is completely shattered, it�s stressing me out seeing it every morning when stepping into the car, the car in its total is in supreme condition except the dash, I�m afraid that the dame thing will fall apart one of this day, I wanted to put one of those carpet bud it dust really fix the problem, I�m proud of my RAM, until I step inside.

- , Oranjestad, Socotoro, Aruba

Oct 262007

Ram 1500 LX 4.7L V8

My truck is a 10 out 10, washed every weekend, never pulled a trailer and only light hauling. I have 2 major cracks one in front of the steering wheel and one in front of the passenger seat, they are getting worse by the day! The one in front of the steering wheel will be a gaping hole shortly! Went to the dealer, quoted me $1485 just for the new dashboard and no labor included.....this is BS....this is the ONLY problem I have had with this truck!

- , Edmond, OK, USA