CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (269 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (90 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 25)

Jun 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Initially I found 1 large crack on dashboard pad right above glove box - this happened all at once. In the past 2 months several smaller but significant cracks have developed on dash below windshield extending back towards interior.

I spoke with Dodge and was given the same response as everyone else with this issue

- , Pueblo, CO, USA

Sep 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Small crack occurred in speaker grille middle of dash board. Now have 2 more that span the width of dash board. Worried the one on the passenger side may allow for unsuspected release of airbag!

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 302012

Ram 1500 Single Cab 4.7L V8

dashboard is currently cracked in 3 places. Front and back. Truck has spent most of its life in a garage. It looks almost new except for the ugly cracked dash.

- , Colleyille, TX, USA

May 092012

Ram 1500 LST

Horrible. After I get rid of this vehicle I will not buy another Dodge/Chrysler vehicle. My dashboard is crumbling before my eyes. Started off with a small crack that grew over a period of time. And then another....and another...and another. Then my Vent grates started to disintergrate into my vents. Had several pieces actually thrown out at me. My dashboard is almost completely cut in half by the cracks.

And what do we get for this? No recall. We pay $1000 to get it fixed? Why? Because we were stupid enough to buy a Dodge truck in the first place. "RAM TOUGH" They are not talking about the vehicle, they are talking about how tough it is to get satisfaction with a vehicle you purchase from them. Won't make that mistake anymore and will definitely tell anyone else out there that wants to buy a piece of crap truck with no support for the customer that Dodge is the way to go. Otherwise, go somewhere else.

- , Little Rock, AR, USA

Dec 012007

Ram 1500 5.9L

We bought this truck new. The truck is 10 years old. The dash started cracking after about 3 years. its hard to believe that the goverment has not stepped in, and forced a recall. It won't be long,and I will need a new truck. I don't like ford or Chevy. Looks like I might have to choose a Ford or Chevy. I wonder if they will stand behind there trucks?

- , Mesick, MI, USA

Feb 032013

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Cracked dash, horrible ride. Leaking steering hose. Weak front end. I wish i still had my toyota truck! My bearings went out Nov 2011. Front end handles bad still after new arm bushings tie rods.. No more dodge!!!

- , Gulfport, MS, USA

Jul 012013

Ram 1500 L S 4.7L

soon after I fall in love with artic-blue, that's the truck, I bought it about 3 yrs later. I saw fine cracks appearing. went to dealership they told me that I've used armarol on it that's why it cracked. I laugh on his face and I left. now as I speak the dash board has no grill and cracked in to half right about passengers air-bag. wanna see if I can get any help from anyone

- , Hayward, CA, USA

Aug 102010

Ram 1500 LX 4.5L

I am very disgusted because I didn't pay attention to the problem when I bought it, it was cracked . I went to have the heater core put in by a friend of mine and the entire dash fell apart into many pieces. I am not buying a new dash because Dodge is responsible for a new one and they best do a recall immediately as there are many others who have complained . I will let it sit in my yard until Dodge comes up with a recall to fix it , because right now its not drivable without a dash and I don't have the money to replace the dash.

If I had known that this was a problem when I purchased it from Auto Max I would have told them but not thinking a crack like this would lead to completely shattering apart and also this is a danger for anyone to ride in this truck the way it is. I have a worthless piece of junk in my yard that i paid a lot of money for and I always loved Dodge products Not anymore, I'm going back to Ford or Chevy products the next time I purchase a truck and You best Hear that DODGE . many others are complaining so FIX THE PROBLEMS NOW before you end up in CLASS ACTION suit because these trucks should be made TOUGH..!! OWN UP TO THIS NOW,, GET THE RECALLS OUT TO THE CONSUMERS TO REGAIN YOUR REPUTATION AND FIX ALL OF THEM OR REIMBURSE US FOR THE DASHES IF THEY HAVE FIXED THEM.. SOME DON'T HAVE TO HAVE THEIR TRUCK IF THEY HAVE SOMETHING ELSE TO DRIVE, WELL I DON'T HAVE TO HAVE IT ON A DAILY BASIS BUT LIKE IT WHEN I NEED IT TO HAUL SOMETHING,, SO I WILL LET IT SIT,, COME ON DODGE,, LETS GET THIS FIXED TODAY!! THANK YOU AND HOPE YOU ARE READING THESE POSTS.

- , Uniontown, AL, USA

May 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I am not one usually to complain, but from reading all the people who have this similar problem, I've decided to give my 2 cents worth. When my dash started cracking it was just an inconvenience, at first, so I covered it with a Dash Mat. Just the other day I looked underneath the mat and saw that the dash now has many cracks and one so large above the gauges that if it reaches another crack, I will have a big hole in the middle of my dash! (6 in by 8 in). Also, I was checking to see if I had a speaker in one of the small round ports on the drivers side, and put a finger on it and the whole plastic mesh screen fell through! Still haven't found it!

- , Roseville, CA, USA

Apr 012011

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L V8

Dodge needs to recall this issue or at least help with the replacement cost.

- , Atoka, TN, USA

Apr 182009

Ram 1500

nothing like having your dash flap in the wind when the defroster is working or heater. just waiting for the chunks to fall off or fly off

- , Bremerton, WA, USA

Mar 152010

Ram 1500 4.7V8

i think dodge manufacturers ought to have to pay for the repairs. i bought this truck new so dodge should have to cover the repairs because with so many complaints its definitely a flaw/defect in the material. they say its because of poor maintenance ,with all the complaints everyone knows that's not so. i personally have bought my last dodge product.

- , hindman, KY, USA

Feb 192013

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

I take pride in keeping my truck cleaned, I am in awe that I get in my truck one morning and my dash has huge crack in it as it is kept under a carport out of weather, this is very upsetting to me as I take very good care of my truck, and the thought of this being result of cheap material it is made from at the price they cost these days really takes the cake, they should have to replace them from what I am seeing on these trucks, I am hearing of lots of

dodges that has had this happen to, I probably wont be buying another one, have never had this happen to any of my vehicles before

- , Bastrop, LA, USA

Mar 202011

Ram 1500 5.7L

I am pretty pissed off that my dashboard cracked and Dodge does not replace a faulty product. I paid over 1,000 dollars to have a cap put on, but that did not cover the vents, so the vents are exposed. I also paid 400 dollars for a new cover to go over the new cap over the cracked dashboard! When I decide to buy a new vehicle i don't think i will buy a Dodge again, since they won't cover the replacement of the dashboard. Thats to bad cause i really like Dodge, but their customer service to not good at all!

- , Hayward, CA, USA

May 012012

Ram 1500

I have always been a Dodge fan but i'm a little disappointed that my 2002 Dodge Ram has been falligng apart right under my nose. My precious Dodge that i baby and has only been driven 38,000 miles loks great on the outside but open the door and you see what appears to be a dash from the Sanford and Son junkyard! I'm hesitant to purchase a replacement dash from Dodge for fear of buying another crumbling piece of Junk, any help would be greatly appreciated as to be expected a letter to Dodge resulted in no response.. Very Disappointed!!!

- , Princeton, WV, USA

Jan 011998

Ram 1500 4.7L

It began with cracks in dash horizontally across the dash then went to the vents. Every bump in the road it seems caused it to crack worse. When the A/C was turned on or the Heater or Defroster pieces began to fly up at me or the passengers. I cannot afford to replace it...

- , Ontario, CA, USA

May 112013

Ram 1500 LX 3.2L V6

I started to see straight hair-line cracks in dash board and I swear they have gotten bigger as the weeks go by. Before it was hardly noticeable and now the cracks 6-10 inches in length and growing! I started looking around for a solution then discovered to my dismay that many, many, many Dodge Ram (1500) owners have experienced the same problem. Some have even had dash boards cave in (my brother in-law) where you can actually see the wiring and a/c ducts showing. Un-freaking believable,,,,,, and I think mine will soon be that way. I like the vehicle, it's just crazy that the dash started doing this for no apparent reason other than manufacturer defect or poor quality plastic. Really sucks. : (

- , Freeport, TX, USA

Mar 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

How is it that when you spend upwards of $32,000 on a new truck the dashboard falls apart a few years later....and Dodge will do NOTHING about it.....that's bullshit.

I'll NEVER buy a Dodge again!!

If something happens to myself or a family member due to this...as in getting cut or god forbid killed because of this dashboard flaw...I'll sue the livin sh*t out of Dodge, I'll go on every news show known to man and bad mouth them and tear them apart because they refuse to fix this issue

- , Milton, FL, USA

May 012007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

This problem is seriously for the damn birds. I work for a major corporation and if we ran our business like Chrysler Co. seems to, I would have been out of a job a long, long time ago. You sorry bastards make a product for the general public. Did you not think that we would have a problem with things falling apart on something we paid hard earned money for? My dash got so bad that I finally had to take it completely out so that my children didn't stab themselves with a chard of plastic. And you don't even know the crap I've been taking from friends and coworkers because my 2002 Dodge doesn't have a dash. I paid you 20 grand for this truck. Fix my damn dash!!!!!

- , Campobello, SC, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

I've had to replace both ignition switches ,seat recliner mechanism broke off ,check engine light is on ,has some starting issues ,and this is with 53,000 miles on the truck .

- , Goldendale, WA, USA