CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (273 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (94 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (15 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 25)

Jul 172013

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

My dash on my 02 Dodge Ram just started cracking , it now has major cracks running threw it. This is now a big problem since my heater core needs changing out and my dash will crack apart if I mess with it. I brought this truck brand new in 02!

- , Memphis, TN, US

Jun 122013

Ram 1500 ES 4.7L V8

I have owned several different makes and models of vehicles, the one that has been the biggest pain in the rear has been(and still is),2002 Dodge Ram1500. The dash board has all but fallen to pieces. The company should recall these vehicles as a safety issue. If they are not willing to replace the dash they should at least provide a replacement at a descent price. Has any one had there dash replace by a Dodge dealer at no charge or a reduced price?

- , Forrest City, AR, USA

Jul 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Two large cracks in dashboard as well as additional cracks in dash near windshield, Pieces of plastic are coming off and getting into heating and air conditioning system. Cheapens the look of the vehicle (purchased new in July 2002) that has only 43000 miles on it.

- , Santa Clara, CA, USA

Aug 102010

Ram 1500 LX 4.7L V8

tHE DASH IS FALLING APART IN MY LAP AND IT HAS FALLEN INTO THE VENTS AND SHATTERED TO PEICES AND NOT SAFE TO DRIVE AND MY A/C VENTS ARE NOT PUTTING OUT AIR DUE TO THIS DASH HAS FALLING TO PEICES, AND I NEED A NEW DASH FROM THE DODGE DEALERSHIP ON A RECALL, I CANT BELIEVE THIS PROBLEM OCCURED AND THAT DASH IS MADE OUT OF PLASTIC VERY CHEAP. AND I AM SHOCKED TO HEAR THAT DODGE WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THIS AS A SAFETY RECALL. ALSO ITS CAUSED ME NOT TO BE ABLE TO DRIVE MY VEHICLE AND I PAID GOOD MONEY FOR THIS TRUCK AND I AM UNABLE TO DRIVE IT WITH THIS PROBLEM AFRAID TO DRIVE IT, AS IT HAS OVER 1000 PEICES THAT HAVE BROKEN IN SHARP EDGES AND THE PEICES I HAD TO REGLUE IT TO HOLD IT BACK TO KEEP IT FROM FALLING APART COMPLETELY AND YOU CAN'T CHANGE YOUR HEATER CORE WITH OUT TAKING DASH OUT. BUT WHEN YOU DO THIS AND AFRAID TO DO IT AS IT WILL GO TO PEICES, SO THEREFORE IM NOT DRIVING THE TRUCK UNTIL I HEAR SOME THING ABOUT A RECALL TO GET THIS DAMN TRUCK FIXED AND I WIL NVER BUY ANOTHER DODGE PRODUCT AGAIN, DODGE I AM ASHAMED THAT YOU ARE MAKEING SUCH POOR QUALITY TRUCKS NOW. GOOD BYE DODGE NEVER AGAIN!!

- , Uniontown, AL, USA

Sep 122013

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

This really happened quite fast wasn't there a short while back I take real good care of my stuff, enough to where I get given a hard time by friends and family..I bought this truck new in 2002 (one owner) its been a good truck but this is unexceptable!!! If Dodge doesn't do something about this I am going to bad mouth them the rest of my life...I won't let anyone sit in passanger side, if that airbag deploys its going to be like a bomb full of plastic went off in your face!....There are 3 big cracks, I noticed there was a few pieces of plastic missing from the vent area stuck my finger in there and one just fell out (unbeliveable) THIS IS NOT FROM HEAT OR LACK OF MAINTAINACE....!

COME ON DODGE SAFETY FIRST!

- , Sherwood, OR, USA

Jan 012005

Ram 1500 Diesel

The dash has broke in all kinds of pieces and falling down in the dash. I am afraid it will do something to the wiring and things inside of the dash.

- , El Dorado Springs, MO, USA

Jul 172008

Ram 1500

I will NEVER buy another Dodge again. I had a feeling I was making a mistake buying this truck when all my friends teased me about it. I had no idea that I would have this much trouble with it.

So what that the truck runs good; Its suppose to run good. I believe this company owes me an apology for putting crap on the truck and then acting like it's suppose to fall apart because of the "Texas Heat". Well, they can forget ever having me as a customer again. And not only that but I take less pride in my truck now and more pride in telling everyone I come across that buying a Dodge was the biggest mistake I have ever made. And to think of how proud I was sitting in the dealers office listening to that crap about "You should be so proud sir, this is the second biggest purchase you can make only second to you house"

Well he was right, second biggest purchase, but buying a Dodge came in first as my biggest mistake ever. What say you now Dodge? Are you going to stand by your product and do the right thing or slither back into you mansions knowing that once again you suckered another person into buying your crap. DO THE RIGHT THING AND FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Wharton, TX, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 4.7L

My 02 Dodge Ram dash started cracking years ago. I 've tried numerous time to resolve the problem by contacting Dodge .THEY DO NOT STAND BY THEIR PRODUCT. Currently my Dodge has approx 72000. As you can see by the mileage I haven't driven the car at a normal rate. DODGE DOESN'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THIS CUSTOMER ANYMORE.....................................

- , Chesapeake, VA, US

May 242012

Ram 1500 4x4 Sport 4.7L

dash cracked all to hell

What the hells up with dodge/ cheap plastic garbage! I clean my truck faithfully once a week and that includes armorall the dash but it didnt help obviously. almost like they appeared over night. start by the windshielsd and comes straight twords u. not just one but like 5 or 6. pisses me off because other than that my truck is spotless on the inside! hell if nothing else they(dodge) should give us a discount on the replacement piece butb we all know that wont happen. greedy sobs

- , Edinburgh, IN, USA

Jun 152012

Ram 1500 LX V6

I can't believe dodge can receive motor trend of the year, and their trucks fall apart. The dealer's just said, "well that is just the way dodge is, and if you have a new one installed it will do the same thing" So much for RAM TOUGH.

- , Venice, Fl, USA

Jun 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Initially I found 1 large crack on dashboard pad right above glove box - this happened all at once. In the past 2 months several smaller but significant cracks have developed on dash below windshield extending back towards interior.

I spoke with Dodge and was given the same response as everyone else with this issue

- , Pueblo, CO, USA

Sep 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Small crack occurred in speaker grille middle of dash board. Now have 2 more that span the width of dash board. Worried the one on the passenger side may allow for unsuspected release of airbag!

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 302012

Ram 1500 Single Cab 4.7L V8

dashboard is currently cracked in 3 places. Front and back. Truck has spent most of its life in a garage. It looks almost new except for the ugly cracked dash.

- , Colleyille, TX, USA

May 092012

Ram 1500 LST

Horrible. After I get rid of this vehicle I will not buy another Dodge/Chrysler vehicle. My dashboard is crumbling before my eyes. Started off with a small crack that grew over a period of time. And then another....and another...and another. Then my Vent grates started to disintergrate into my vents. Had several pieces actually thrown out at me. My dashboard is almost completely cut in half by the cracks.

And what do we get for this? No recall. We pay $1000 to get it fixed? Why? Because we were stupid enough to buy a Dodge truck in the first place. "RAM TOUGH" They are not talking about the vehicle, they are talking about how tough it is to get satisfaction with a vehicle you purchase from them. Won't make that mistake anymore and will definitely tell anyone else out there that wants to buy a piece of crap truck with no support for the customer that Dodge is the way to go. Otherwise, go somewhere else.

- , Little Rock, AR, USA

Dec 012007

Ram 1500 5.9L

We bought this truck new. The truck is 10 years old. The dash started cracking after about 3 years. its hard to believe that the goverment has not stepped in, and forced a recall. It won't be long,and I will need a new truck. I don't like ford or Chevy. Looks like I might have to choose a Ford or Chevy. I wonder if they will stand behind there trucks?

- , Mesick, MI, USA

Feb 032013

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Cracked dash, horrible ride. Leaking steering hose. Weak front end. I wish i still had my toyota truck! My bearings went out Nov 2011. Front end handles bad still after new arm bushings tie rods.. No more dodge!!!

- , Gulfport, MS, US

Jul 012013

Ram 1500 L S 4.7L

soon after I fall in love with artic-blue, that's the truck, I bought it about 3 yrs later. I saw fine cracks appearing. went to dealership they told me that I've used armarol on it that's why it cracked. I laugh on his face and I left. now as I speak the dash board has no grill and cracked in to half right about passengers air-bag. wanna see if I can get any help from anyone

- , Hayward, CA, USA

Aug 102010

Ram 1500 LX 4.5L

I am very disgusted because I didn't pay attention to the problem when I bought it, it was cracked . I went to have the heater core put in by a friend of mine and the entire dash fell apart into many pieces. I am not buying a new dash because Dodge is responsible for a new one and they best do a recall immediately as there are many others who have complained . I will let it sit in my yard until Dodge comes up with a recall to fix it , because right now its not drivable without a dash and I don't have the money to replace the dash.

If I had known that this was a problem when I purchased it from Auto Max I would have told them but not thinking a crack like this would lead to completely shattering apart and also this is a danger for anyone to ride in this truck the way it is. I have a worthless piece of junk in my yard that i paid a lot of money for and I always loved Dodge products Not anymore, I'm going back to Ford or Chevy products the next time I purchase a truck and You best Hear that DODGE . many others are complaining so FIX THE PROBLEMS NOW before you end up in CLASS ACTION suit because these trucks should be made TOUGH..!! OWN UP TO THIS NOW,, GET THE RECALLS OUT TO THE CONSUMERS TO REGAIN YOUR REPUTATION AND FIX ALL OF THEM OR REIMBURSE US FOR THE DASHES IF THEY HAVE FIXED THEM.. SOME DON'T HAVE TO HAVE THEIR TRUCK IF THEY HAVE SOMETHING ELSE TO DRIVE, WELL I DON'T HAVE TO HAVE IT ON A DAILY BASIS BUT LIKE IT WHEN I NEED IT TO HAUL SOMETHING,, SO I WILL LET IT SIT,, COME ON DODGE,, LETS GET THIS FIXED TODAY!! THANK YOU AND HOPE YOU ARE READING THESE POSTS.

- , Uniontown, AL, USA

May 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I am not one usually to complain, but from reading all the people who have this similar problem, I've decided to give my 2 cents worth. When my dash started cracking it was just an inconvenience, at first, so I covered it with a Dash Mat. Just the other day I looked underneath the mat and saw that the dash now has many cracks and one so large above the gauges that if it reaches another crack, I will have a big hole in the middle of my dash! (6 in by 8 in). Also, I was checking to see if I had a speaker in one of the small round ports on the drivers side, and put a finger on it and the whole plastic mesh screen fell through! Still haven't found it!

- , Roseville, CA, USA

Apr 012011

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L V8

Dodge needs to recall this issue or at least help with the replacement cost.

- , Atoka, TN, USA