CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (274 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (94 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (15 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 25)

Apr 012011

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L V8

Dodge needs to recall this issue or at least help with the replacement cost.

- , Atoka, TN, USA

Apr 182009

Ram 1500

nothing like having your dash flap in the wind when the defroster is working or heater. just waiting for the chunks to fall off or fly off

- , Bremerton, WA, US

Mar 152010

Ram 1500 4.7V8

i think dodge manufacturers ought to have to pay for the repairs. i bought this truck new so dodge should have to cover the repairs because with so many complaints its definitely a flaw/defect in the material. they say its because of poor maintenance ,with all the complaints everyone knows that's not so. i personally have bought my last dodge product.

- , hindman, KY, USA

Feb 192013

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

I take pride in keeping my truck cleaned, I am in awe that I get in my truck one morning and my dash has huge crack in it as it is kept under a carport out of weather, this is very upsetting to me as I take very good care of my truck, and the thought of this being result of cheap material it is made from at the price they cost these days really takes the cake, they should have to replace them from what I am seeing on these trucks, I am hearing of lots of

dodges that has had this happen to, I probably wont be buying another one, have never had this happen to any of my vehicles before

- , Bastrop, LA, USA

Mar 202011

Ram 1500 5.7L

I am pretty pissed off that my dashboard cracked and Dodge does not replace a faulty product. I paid over 1,000 dollars to have a cap put on, but that did not cover the vents, so the vents are exposed. I also paid 400 dollars for a new cover to go over the new cap over the cracked dashboard! When I decide to buy a new vehicle i don't think i will buy a Dodge again, since they won't cover the replacement of the dashboard. Thats to bad cause i really like Dodge, but their customer service to not good at all!

- , Hayward, CA, USA

May 012012

Ram 1500

I have always been a Dodge fan but i'm a little disappointed that my 2002 Dodge Ram has been falligng apart right under my nose. My precious Dodge that i baby and has only been driven 38,000 miles loks great on the outside but open the door and you see what appears to be a dash from the Sanford and Son junkyard! I'm hesitant to purchase a replacement dash from Dodge for fear of buying another crumbling piece of Junk, any help would be greatly appreciated as to be expected a letter to Dodge resulted in no response.. Very Disappointed!!!

- , Princeton, WV, USA

Jan 011998

Ram 1500 4.7L

It began with cracks in dash horizontally across the dash then went to the vents. Every bump in the road it seems caused it to crack worse. When the A/C was turned on or the Heater or Defroster pieces began to fly up at me or the passengers. I cannot afford to replace it...

- , Ontario, CA, US

May 112013

Ram 1500 LX 3.2L V6

I started to see straight hair-line cracks in dash board and I swear they have gotten bigger as the weeks go by. Before it was hardly noticeable and now the cracks 6-10 inches in length and growing! I started looking around for a solution then discovered to my dismay that many, many, many Dodge Ram (1500) owners have experienced the same problem. Some have even had dash boards cave in (my brother in-law) where you can actually see the wiring and a/c ducts showing. Un-freaking believable,,,,,, and I think mine will soon be that way. I like the vehicle, it's just crazy that the dash started doing this for no apparent reason other than manufacturer defect or poor quality plastic. Really sucks. : (

- , Freeport, TX, USA

Mar 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

How is it that when you spend upwards of $32,000 on a new truck the dashboard falls apart a few years later....and Dodge will do NOTHING about it.....that's bullshit.

I'll NEVER buy a Dodge again!!

If something happens to myself or a family member due to this...as in getting cut or god forbid killed because of this dashboard flaw...I'll sue the livin sh*t out of Dodge, I'll go on every news show known to man and bad mouth them and tear them apart because they refuse to fix this issue

- , Milton, FL, USA

May 012007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

This problem is seriously for the damn birds. I work for a major corporation and if we ran our business like Chrysler Co. seems to, I would have been out of a job a long, long time ago. You sorry bastards make a product for the general public. Did you not think that we would have a problem with things falling apart on something we paid hard earned money for? My dash got so bad that I finally had to take it completely out so that my children didn't stab themselves with a chard of plastic. And you don't even know the crap I've been taking from friends and coworkers because my 2002 Dodge doesn't have a dash. I paid you 20 grand for this truck. Fix my damn dash!!!!!

- , Campobello, SC, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

I've had to replace both ignition switches ,seat recliner mechanism broke off ,check engine light is on ,has some starting issues ,and this is with 53,000 miles on the truck .

- , Goldendale, WA, USA

Nov 082012

Ram 1500 4.7L

Dash is cracking to pieces----rest of truck is still like brand new---Dodge needs to replace all these bad dashboards.

- , Naples, FL, USA

Mar 232013

Ram 1500 ST 4.7L

This is absolutely rediculous! This is my first Dodge ever and I must say I really liked it until the dash completely disentegrated into shards of plastic!!! Very very sharp edges and points! You guys serioiusly need to recall this! Own up to the fact that the plastic is faulty and replace them. You cant say that it is due to not taking care of it. Have you ever heard of any other vehicles that had soo many with the same problem?? I mean I have heard of the random dash crack, but I never in my life have seen anything like this. For me to be able to just gently touch the dash and have it shatter blows my mind! Take care of it or lose another customer!!

- , Honolulu, HI, USA

May 022011

Ram 1500

Entire dash is cracked. Vent grates have deteriorated and fallen into the ducting.

- , Cleveland, TX, USA

Nov 152012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Dash is falling apart and I can see everything under the dash. It's too much to get a new dash and try and sell it and can't get what I want for it because of this problem. This needs to be fixed by them!!!

- , Kankakee, IL, USA

Jul 012010

Ram 1500 5.3L

Total manufacturer oversight. I'm just waiting for a piece of the dash to hit someone in the face when the fan turns on.

- , Waynesville, MO, USA

Jun 072006

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I've never had a car or truck where the dashboard simply started to fall apart by itself. The dashboard is as brittle as thin potato chips.

I take care of my truck pretty well. However I know for a fact that many if not all Dodge truck owners are having the same issues with the dashboard simply cracking up and falling apart. Dodge should recall there vehicles with a newer designed better product for their dashboards.

Ignoring these complaints simply warrants less sales of future dodge and Chrysler products.

I for one will not ever buy or recommend another Dodge or Chrysler vehicle knowing that my next vehicle would end up in the same condition as my current truck. However if Dodge and Chrysler/Fiat would man up and recall my vehicle along with all that are effected by this and fix/replace my dashboard at no cost I would then be able to recommend them once again.

However the chances of this happening are Zero to none judging by the lack of caring from them from what I have read so far.

Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat fix this for us please.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Jul 222012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I have maintained this vehicle extremely well, and have been proud of it, but not anymore. This manufacturers defect (cracked Dash, in two places so far), makes my vehicle look like something that has been sitting on the back 40 for the last 30 years!

Not only does it look bad, it has me extremely worried that if the air bags inflate, it will send pieces of plastic flying through the air into peoples faces or eyes. I have noticed that the cracks continue to "grow", and who knows where they will stop?! I'm also worried about exposed wiring, and the possibility of a fire!

This defect in materials is totally Dodge/Chrysler's responsibility to fix, I paid good money for supposedly "intact" machine, and now due to faulty materials, it is falling apart!! It is totally ridiculous for a vehicle with no more miles on it than this one has to have a CRACKED DASH!

Get up off of your cheap, tightwad ass Dodge/Chrysler and REPLACE this!!! I paid for a Dash in one piece, not one in pieces!! I might also add I paid CASH for this truck,....there was no financing!

- , Bronston, KY, USA

Jun 012008

- , Shreveport, LA, USA

Apr 222008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I have contacted Dodge several times over the years and always get the same answer as everyone else: 'Yes we know about the problem, but it is not our problem. you did not care for your truck and therefore all the huge pieces of the dash top that have fallen, and all those cracks and grill vents that have fallen in, are not defects. it's your problem!' My parents have owned many Dodge products over the years, but no more. Man up Dodge, Your previously loyal customers are leaving for better built and warranted products. BYE!

- , Ontario, CA, USA