CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (269 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (90 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 25)

Nov 302009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

The dash has started to have sharp edges that could severely cut you. Dodge needs to step up and fix the issue. I'f not, they are going to have a lawsuit instead.

- , Plantation, FL, USA

Jul 052012

Ram 1500

I love the body style of my 2002 and 2003 Dodge trucks when they came out. No questions about it. So, I also bought (You know) the HEMI (my 03).

Well, both have cracked PLASTIC dash panels now....Dodge should cover the replacement of both my vehicles. Once it was discovered, Dodge should have had a recall before the problem got too big...... It is a Major flaw in their interior design specs. Why didn't they conduct a structural / endurance test on the dash panels. I will not ever buy another Da#@*!! dodge again.

Hey, Dodge go back to the drawing board and get this fixed ASAP. You are losing the respect of the American people again.......Bail Out my A#@!! How about Bail US out with a proper fix at your cost Dodge!! And, start producing quality crafted vehicles...!

- , Marion, SC, USA

Oct 012008

Ram 1500 LTD 4.7L

My main problem was when I took the truck in for maintenance work for AC not working I got the truck back with a small crack and I told them. They said they didn't so it that I didn't take care of the dash and weather elements caused this problem. I told them that was not like that and I baby my truck............ I investigated online and found numerous other people with crack dashboard complaints. It would of cost over $1000 to fix. I am very disappointed with Dodge and will never buy another vehicle from them.... It is very sad that such a large company will not stay by their products.

- , Panama City, FL, USA

Jan 012006

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

A short time after the 36,000 mile warranty was up, I noticed a crack at the 1 1/4 round vent in the center of the dash. a year later there were 5 cracks. Now there are 16 cracks across the dash. I feel with something like this where there were so many cases across the country the country, this is obviously a Dodge problem. This is a problem with the materials they use. I am in customer service for a well known Boat manufacturer and if we were to have a problem like this, it would be a no brain er. No doubt about it.

- , Valdosta, GA, USA

Jul 202005

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Dodge Ram dashes are junk. My cracked at 3 years old. Problem but not as big as the engine problems I consistently had with this truck.

- , Saraland, AL, USA

Jul 022012

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

This is unthinkable. We bought this truck new, paid a bundle for it only to have this happen. Would not have found this, but my husband is trying to fix a problem we have with the AC on the passenger side and took our dash board cover off to look at the top and about had a cow. Our truck has been maintained since we bought it NEW and has traveled all the the USA pulling our 30'RV only to find this mess. We would not have known it was broken if he had not removed this cover, Now I have a 2002 Dodge with a cracked dash and just hoping it will not fall into our AC ducts. Just another way to get more money out of the consumer, DODGE should warranty this. I plan to call and raise hell with Dodge, might get somewhere and then not. I do love this truck so if all else fails I will replace this dash. Judy

- , Perry, FL, USA

Apr 222008

Ram 1500 SEL

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

Whats the deal,Dodge not a company that can amit they have a bad product, seems like they would man up and fix the problem. When pulling crack parts out the bottom of the dash slice the back of my hand. This a real safety problem , what happens if I have wreck would the pieces fly up and cause major body injury or face injury hope not. Step up and be the company you claim to be and fix the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Montevallo, AL, USA

Jan 012010

Ram 1500 XLT 4.7L

My dash has been crumbling for a few years only getting worse and it is extremely expensive to replace, looking at almost $1,000. Just yesterday I was trying to wipe down what is left of my dash and 2 of the vents just fell into and under the dash. I am afraid to even touch it because the slightest touch makes it just crumble into pieces. I in the past have cut my hands against the sharp edges trying to clean my dash. I see that there is YET no recall from Dodge. I can only hope that Dodge steps up and does the right thing and decides to replace this ongoing problem with there "problem plastic" they used for these dashes. Because of this and another problem with the air conditioning system that Dodge is well aware of (I will be adding that complaint also)and not doing anything about I have lost confidence in there product. My next truck will be a CHEVY!!

- , Moncks Corner, SC, USA

Oct 012004

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

I bought this truck in 2002, two years later the dash started to crack just a little. took it to dealer they said dodge warrenty does not cover it. now 10 years later my dash is completly cracked and has fallen apart. it will cost me over $1000.00 dollars to replace it. that's bullcrap that a defect in there product and they refuse to fix the problem. dodge should have to replace there broken parts not the customer.....

- , Blythe, CA, USA

Apr 112012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Terrible design. The top of the dash is falling in on itself and is cracked from top to bottom. Thanks Dodge

- , Deltona, FL, USA

Aug 102010

Ram 1500 SLT 3.9L Gas

What a world we live in when U.S. manufacturer's have to be sued to fix defects; and then the same companies that caused the problems complain about the need for Tort Reform. Tort Reform that attempts to block the consumer from pursuing remedy for issues the company should have stepped upon on their own to correct. Some of these defects (Like Disintegrating Dashboards) persist for years, before a fix is performed. Obviously, not all car manufacturer dashes fall apart regardless of age. So something in the manufacturing process and/or materials is bad. It should not take years and several Model introductions to get the defect corrected and the new and improved product (part) installed, or at least made available. How short sighted Dodge Corporate must be to continue to drive customers away with its arrogant indifference. I love my Ram 1500, but such issues like disintegrating dashboard which is a major expense item to fix will drive me away from being a faithful Dodge repeat customer.

- , Pleasanton, TX, USA

Mar 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Dodge should have recalled along time ago due to this has been happening since 1997.

- , Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Apr 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Dodge should have addressed this issue long ago. It is very annoying and adversely affects the resale value of my truck. Replacement dash from Mopar appears to be the exact same material and construction which will only be a short term solution and likely have the same defect.

- , Arlington, TX, USA

Apr 192012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

JUST BOUGHT THIS TRUCK FROM THE FIRST OWNER WITH 72K MILES. I LOVE DODGE TRUCKS SO I BOUGHT IT. NOW I HAVE A HUGE CRACK THAT STARTS IN THE FRONT OF THE DASH AND GOES THE WHOLE WAY BACK TO THE SECOND PIECE OF DASH... I HOPE THIS CAN BE FIXED SOON BY THE DEALER SO MUCH FOR THE TRUCK BEING RAM TOUGH. I KNOW OF OTHER TRUCKS THAT HAVE HAD 250K+ WITH NO CRACKS IN THEIR DASH !!!!!!!!!

- , Lancaster, PA, USA

Feb 102012

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

wen i started seeing my dash bord crack i said to my self how can dodge do this i paid so much money for my truck that its not even worth it i dont think chey or ford have this problem ...

- , Sun Valley, CA, USA

Mar 132012

Ram 1500 ST 3.7lV6

i just noticed the dash cracked badly and i wonder if there is a recall on my year model 2002 dodge. i don't want to pay 1200 dollars to get it fixed. i mean I don't understand why it that i am dodge man i had a 95 dodge ram and it doing same thing. i just tried spend money on it to pay high dollar to replace it. my truck out warrerty.

- , Eastman, GA, USA

Aug 122010

Ram 1500 RamQuadCab 4.7L

I cannot believe how many people have this same issue!!! I cannot even sell my Truck because who wants to buy a vehicle with a cracked dashbord....cracked in 20 places!!! Parts falling in the vents, etc, just like other shave written!!

I had 4 potential buyers all turn me down because of the cracked dash.

This has got to be a major Hazard...sharp points, parts falling into vents, and I wonder if the airt bags even will work! This should be a recall for sure.

- , Corona, CA, USA

Sep 062011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

dodge sucks. I recently took my other car in to a ford service center here in hawaii,& I saw a dodge 1500 ram truck park in the service area. I ask the owner why he brought a dodge vehicle to a ford service center. His reply, dodge can't fix their own product. Aloha

- , Kurtistown, HI, USA

Feb 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.8L V8

For the plastic dashboard to crack after a few years of use is just plain bad business. And it's worse that Dodge doesn't cover this or recall the defective dashboards. I've read/heard that this is a common problem in the Dodge Ram trucks. I was going to buy another Dodge, but after researching after discovering the problem, think I'll move over to Toyota or Ford instead.

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 122010

Ram 1500 LS 4.7L

Called Chrysler and it was a waste of my time...the guy made me feel stupid. "Its a 10 year old truck what do you want me to do about it?" That's what he said. He said they are only a known issue if its on their website. This is why the car industry is where it is...no one to stand behind their product. I have found thousands of complaints online, but according to Chrysler "Elvis is still alive so how can you believe what you read?" That was the other comment he made to me. I just want it fixed...$1600 for parts alone through Chrysler what a joke.

- , Plainfield, IN, USA